Forums46
Topics538,034
Posts9,732,182
Members87,055
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Is the wild hog going to interfear with the whitetails overall health longterm [Re: Pittstate] #5652763 03/16/15 01:57 AM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I completely understand your point. It does work in many scenarios. I have only 70 acres. No way in the world am I going to open it for public hunting. East is cattle, west is a county road, south is cattle, 1/4 mile north is county road. Irresponsible hunters allowing bullets to potentially leave my place is not something I'm interested in. Not to mention the tools and equipment I have on the place.

Now on the other hand, the friends I have, that I can trust, are welcome to hog hunt any time they want to.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Is the wild hog going to interfear with the whitetails overall health longterm [Re: J.G.] #5652924 03/16/15 03:17 AM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
Originally Posted By: Erny
Originally Posted By: Pittstate
You can wipe out the hogs on your land, but I want them on mine. Gives me something to hunt year round and hasn't affected the ability for me to let bucks grow to maturity on my place.

X2

What's the difference between a hog and pheasants, axis, blackbuck, elk, and sika?

Those don't beat the hell out of a tractor that is trying to work where they have been rooting.

All of the ones mentioned (and many more) take away from the habitat of native species like whitetail and javelina. If you have hogs and axis on your property some think they have year round hunting, I think I have something that is eating or destroying the ecosystem that was working pretty good without them. The recent drought had our whitetail starving, this is a time that they do not need to be sharing with blackbuck, sika, or any other exotic. So I hunt them, it is most often to try and eradicate them.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Is the wild hog going to interfear with the whitetails overall health longterm [Re: REALKILLER] #5653120 03/16/15 12:37 PM
R
REALKILLER Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
R

Finally got some pictures to download. Here is a few I ran down with the old 39m. The one that one that is staring at me has a .22 bullet in the back and cant run. Funny thing about that hog is that it and its crew made a break for a field after they were running from me in the woods. I shot a tree up ahead of them in hopes of making them turn. It worked they made a hard left and I made a fast run to cut them off. They fell into their own trap. A wet, muddy, boggy, rooted up field that was so nasty they could barely run. I let them have some.22 bullets. Now that's justice. Those don't look like the barn yard pigs I grew up around. The barn yard pigs I grew up around had real long bodies, curly tails, big ears, short muzzles, and were colored pink, rusty red, and a blue color. They looked like porky the pig and nothing like these. And their babies didn't have racing stripes, they were solid colored.

Recently got a gym membership, strange folks! I like to show up the roid zombies with my full motion curls with the 55lb. bells. Not their cheater short stroked light weights. It's holarious.
Re: Is the wild hog going to interfear with the whitetails overall health longterm [Re: REALKILLER] #5654129 03/17/15 12:47 AM
A
aeb Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
A
Debate as much as you like but you can't kill 'em as fast as they are making 'em!

Re: Is the wild hog going to interfear with the whitetails overall health longterm [Re: REALKILLER] #5654195 03/17/15 01:23 AM
R
REALKILLER Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
R
I put lead in about twenty hogs yesterday. Im just gearing them up for a massacre with some real fire power. I like to let them know Im around, so the next time we meet they no that death is a real possible scenario. I saw about 100 yesterday. They've been feeding with the cows and they use the wild [censored] goofy cows as an extra set of eyes. I think they are giving it a little too much thought. Its time to teach them a lesson. The wet fields along with their rooting have slowed their running speed down. whoops rifle

Recently got a gym membership, strange folks! I like to show up the roid zombies with my full motion curls with the 55lb. bells. Not their cheater short stroked light weights. It's holarious.
Re: Is the wild hog going to interfear with the whitetails overall health longterm [Re: Pittstate] #5654889 03/17/15 03:45 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
Why pay for electric fence when he can open it up to the public to hunt them? Much more effective. This is what a lot of farmers do in Kansas because of the damage that deer and turkey do to their fields. I have seen a flock of 200 to 500 turkey take 50% of the seed out of the ground in a week. Didn't take the farmer long to allow hunting on his property. Kansas has a great walk in hunting program that pays the landowner nicely and takes all the liability away too. Sure wish more states to the south would jump onto this program.

Proud supporter of the WMA's around here... We dont have hog problems like other parts of texas It went ta 4 deer county, stuck ta plan, people complain bout the hogs, it been while since seen any on cam's & helps deer numbers. flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Is the wild hog going to interfear with the whitetails overall health longterm [Re: REALKILLER] #5654893 03/17/15 03:48 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Are they a serious pain in the rear? Yes. However I do like to hunt and eat them.

Also I would think if there were going to be long term problems with the deer we would have seen evidence of it by now.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Is the wild hog going to interfear with the whitetails overall health longterm [Re: REALKILLER] #5654940 03/17/15 04:33 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Quote:
Also I would think if there were going to be long term problems with the deer we would have seen evidence of it by now.

You mean like 300-400 years of evidence, or maybe just a couple hundred?

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Is the wild hog going to interfear with the whitetails overall health longterm [Re: REALKILLER] #5654964 03/17/15 04:50 PM
R
REALKILLER Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
R
In the mid 1990s I thought a wild hog was a myth, because I never saw them anywhere in east tx. And now 20 years later I see them in every county from the red river all the way to the coast. ??? seems like theyre multiplying in a bad kind of way. I wonder how many there will be in another 20 years. Twice as many? Is that a good thing? and will we still be ok with that? Ive hunted in areas that deer couldnt even leave good deer sign because the hogs rooted up their scrapes and rubbed mud and stench all over their rubs. Isnt this interfering with the deers rutting communication. They leave scent and sign for a reason. Ive noticed that these particular deer do a lot of standing on their hind legs as far as they can reach and make sign in the tree branches to communicate with the other deer. I also struggle to find good rubs. Good rub lines were way more noticeable in the 1990s. Now its hog runs and wallers.

Re: Is the wild hog going to interfear with the whitetails overall health longterm [Re: REALKILLER] #5654971 03/17/15 04:55 PM
R
REALKILLER Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
R
scratch

Re: Is the wild hog going to interfear with the whitetails overall health longterm [Re: J.G.] #5654984 03/17/15 05:02 PM
C
Choctaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
Originally Posted By: Erny
You can wipe out the hogs on your land, but I want them on mine. Gives me something to hunt year round and hasn't affected the ability for me to let bucks grow to maturity on my place.

X2

What's the difference between a hog and pheasants, axis, blackbuck, elk, and sika?

Those don't beat the hell out of a tractor that is trying to work where they have been rooting.

Dang right. We kill them and leave 'em where they lay.

Re: Is the wild hog going to interfear with the whitetails overall health longterm [Re: REALKILLER] #5654999 03/17/15 05:11 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted By: REALKILLER
In the mid 1990s I thought a wild hog was a myth, because I never saw them anywhere in east tx. And now 20 years later I see them in every county from the red river all the way to the coast. ??? seems like theyre multiplying in a bad kind of way. I wonder how many there will be in another 20 years. Twice as many? Is that a good thing? and will we still be ok with that? Ive hunted in areas that deer couldnt even leave good deer sign because the hogs rooted up their scrapes and rubbed mud and stench all over their rubs. Isnt this interfering with the deers rutting communication. They leave scent and sign for a reason. Ive noticed that these particular deer do a lot of standing on their hind legs as far as they can reach and make sign in the tree branches to communicate with the other deer. I also struggle to find good rubs. Good rub lines were way more noticeable in the 1990s. Now its hog runs and wallers.
cheers Place do my hog hunting was like that. Hogs followed creeks streams up ta my deer food plots & feeders. People complaining, so Whin it opened ta public, had some good cheap grillen & chillen. Last few years seeing more deer than hogs. Public land & at feeders. rofl & i'm not that high-tech. Keep after em. Best wishes flag

i'm postaddic
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide