Print Thread
Help!! Relocating from West Texas to Tuscaloosa, AL #5651035 03/14/15 03:52 PM
G
Garza County Hunter Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
G
THF Brethren...I have just found out I will be moving to Tuscaloosa, Alabama this summer. I have never lived or hunted outside the great State of Texas. Any experience with hunting in Alabama? Good deer? Different methods/regulations? Any advice is appreciated. I can handle the change, but I can't handle losing deer season!

Re: Help!! Relocating from West Texas to Tuscaloosa, AL [Re: Garza County Hunter] #5651121 03/14/15 05:06 PM
N
nsmike Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
There is an Alabama Forum link

for every stereotype there's a prototype don't be the prototype
Re: Help!! Relocating from West Texas to Tuscaloosa, AL [Re: Garza County Hunter] #5651196 03/14/15 06:49 PM
R
rclee Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
R
The link above is a good start. Been going there for awhile when I was looking to buy land back that way. Grew up in the FL panhandle and have family around Mobile.

The part of Alabama I've hunted recently (about an hour SE of Tuscaloosa) is more like East Texas than West - heavy cover, pine trees, damp and humid. What I've learned from the family is there is no hunting over bait so feeder pens are not common. Some folks will run feeders in the off season. Much more likely to develop food plots. Leases seem to be cheaper but are usually leased to "hunting clubs". The deer seem a bit heavier than what I've hunted in Concho county. Oh, and blinds are called shooting houses.

When you order tea at a restaurant, better be specific. Default in the Southeast is usually Sweet Tea. Tuscaloosa's population will double on game days in the fall. Grits and boiled peanuts are good things - if you grew up eating them. If not, can take some getting used to.

Good luck with the move.

Bob

Re: Help!! Relocating from West Texas to Tuscaloosa, AL [Re: Garza County Hunter] #5651255 03/14/15 08:03 PM
J
jkk Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
Not sure about Alabama but if you have a lease in garza county I would be willing to take it over from you.

Re: Help!! Relocating from West Texas to Tuscaloosa, AL [Re: Garza County Hunter] #5651787 03/15/15 05:02 AM
J
JesseTaylor Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
J
Welcome to Alabama. I live down towards Mobile. There's some nice deer in the area. The Black Belt region grows some monsters. It runs thur the center of the state. You'll be in the upper part.

.280 Browning A-Bolt
Re: Help!! Relocating from West Texas to Tuscaloosa, AL [Re: Garza County Hunter] #5651954 03/15/15 02:36 PM
C
Cow_doc.308 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
I grew up about 2 hours or so north of Tuscaloosa. You'll be in for a whole new world when deer season comes. Rifle season usually opens around Thanksgiving and runs till end of January. No such thing as MLD or tags. I think they have began to try and limit buck harvest since I've moved away but I don't honestly know what the rules are. 10 years or so ago there were no regs at all on bucks, and you could shoot a buck and a doe or 2 does every day and be perfectly legal.

Like said above, hunting feeders is illegal there, but they have changed some stuff with that now but its still not to where TX is. You'll have WAY more trees and brush than west TX. Leases are cheaper but like said above a lot are leases to "clubs." They do have a fair number of wild pigs in many places in the state. One good thing about Alabama, there is a lot of public hunting land that can be hunted. Its harder work but if you can't find a lease you can always hunt public ground.

On another note, you're going to want buy some good ear protection bc, unless you're a UofA fan, you're going to quickly tire of the phrase "ROLL TIDE" cheers

Re: Help!! Relocating from West Texas to Tuscaloosa, AL [Re: Garza County Hunter] #5652944 03/16/15 03:30 AM
J
JesseTaylor Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
J
White-tailed buck limit: three during all combined seasons. One of the three must have at least 4 antler points 1" or longer on one antler (except for Barbour County). A point is an antler projection of at least one inch in length from base to tip. Main beam tip shall be counted as a point regardless of length.

Unantlered Deer
(except spotted fawns)
During the Unantlered Deer Gun, Special Muzzleloader, Bow and Arrow, Spear and Special Youth (under 16) Seasons: one unaltered deer may be taken per day in addition to one antlered buck per day. See Special Exception #3 for selected areas with one deer per day limit on National Forest Service Lands

Rooooolllllllllllll Tide....lol

.280 Browning A-Bolt
Re: Help!! Relocating from West Texas to Tuscaloosa, AL [Re: Garza County Hunter] #5653082 03/16/15 12:07 PM
D
Dry Fire Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
Welcome fellow Texan! I just relocated from DFW to Huntsville in January. I'll probably skip deer season this year, unless I book a three day hunt. Just not enough time to look and find a club to join. Alabama has a lot of something West Texas doesn't - water and trees! Very beautiful here. I can't wait to get back Memorial Day weekend to fetch my truck and boat. Join Aldeer.com (I'm TexasNative there). Hunting clubs are now starting to look for members with the biggest push coming in May when dues are too be paid. PM me when you get settled in.

I've found houses to be cheaper here, lower property taxes, higher sales taxes (even on groceries) and a state income tax. May I ask why you are relocating? I came here because I accepted a position with Huntsville Hospital.

coffee spelled backwards is eeffoc. I don't give eeffoc until I have my morning coffee.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide