Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics537,952
Posts9,731,004
Members87,051
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Procedure for notifying the ATF that I have moved (stamp) #5644840 03/10/15 04:25 PM
ETexas Hunter Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
Anyone familiar with the procedure for notifying the ATF that you have moved? I'm pretty sure there are steps you must take once you have moved from the location that is listed on the application my stamp is on?

Re: Procedure for notifying the ATF that I have moved (stamp) [Re: ETexas Hunter] #5644892 03/10/15 05:02 PM
T
Tim9880 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
There is an ongoing discussion on this one. Most people who feel like they have to just send in a form 5320.20. But its really for interstate travel.

Re: Procedure for notifying the ATF that I have moved (stamp) [Re: ETexas Hunter] #5644914 03/10/15 05:20 PM
B
BCJ Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
ATF requests that you file a 5320 with the new address. It's not a law, just a request

Re: Procedure for notifying the ATF that I have moved (stamp) [Re: ETexas Hunter] #5644926 03/10/15 05:30 PM
ETexas Hunter Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
Thanks for the responses

Re: Procedure for notifying the ATF that I have moved (stamp) [Re: ETexas Hunter] #5645201 03/10/15 09:02 PM
T
TCB Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
T
Another questions similar to this one.....Do you need to keep a copy of the stamp on you when you're out shooting/hunting? If so, will a picture on the phone work or does it need to be an actual copy?

Re: Procedure for notifying the ATF that I have moved (stamp) [Re: ETexas Hunter] #5645239 03/10/15 09:29 PM
ETexas Hunter Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
I keep a copy of the stamp along with a copy of my trust with me/my suppressor always. the trust is 16 pages long, so I shrank it down so that I can fit 4 'pages' per side. Now it fits on 2 pieces of paper printed front and back. Folded up in a zpiloc bag.

Re: Procedure for notifying the ATF that I have moved (stamp) [Re: TCB] #5645285 03/10/15 09:57 PM
C
ChipChipperson45 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: TCB
Another questions similar to this one.....Do you need to keep a copy of the stamp on you when you're out shooting/hunting? If so, will a picture on the phone work or does it need to be an actual copy?

You are not required to. I called and talked to ATF on this and that was their answer. However, I always keep it on me...just in case.

Re: Procedure for notifying the ATF that I have moved (stamp) [Re: ETexas Hunter] #5645326 03/10/15 10:30 PM
T
Toxarch Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Chip, that's the first time I've heard someone say that. My lawyer said to keep a full copy of the trust and a copy of the stamp with the NFA items any time I take them out.
I was also wondering if I could just keep a copy on my phone. They send eFiled stamps electronically.
Silencershop recommended taking it to Kinkos and have the stamps shrunk to business card size so they are easy to carry.
I would think an electronic copy on my phone would be easier to read than a business card. Well, unless the phone battery goes dead.

It is far more important to be able to hit the target than it is to haggle over who makes a weapon or who pulls a trigger.

� Dwight D. Eisenhower
Re: Procedure for notifying the ATF that I have moved (stamp) [Re: ETexas Hunter] #5645492 03/11/15 12:17 AM
T
TCB Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
T
Are they looking for just the stamp or all of information on that page. I like the idea of having is shrunk down to a credit card size for the wallet.

Re: Procedure for notifying the ATF that I have moved (stamp) [Re: ETexas Hunter] #5645791 03/11/15 02:57 AM
T
Toxarch Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
I would think it should be all the info on the page since it's got the serial number and everything else on the page. Otherwise you could just have a picture of a stamp and say it applies to any number of SBRs. Someone's got to have a good printer and really good eyes to read that fine print.

I usually have a copy of all the paperwork in each gun case behind the padding so anytime I put a gun in any case, it should be there. I also have a copy in the truck at all times as a backup.

It is far more important to be able to hit the target than it is to haggle over who makes a weapon or who pulls a trigger.

� Dwight D. Eisenhower
Re: Procedure for notifying the ATF that I have moved (stamp) [Re: TCB] #5645813 03/11/15 03:13 AM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Are they looking for just the stamp or all of information on that page. I like the idea of having is shrunk down to a credit card size for the wallet.

You do not know who, when or where you may be asked to see the paperwork. The simpler things are for the LEO, the easier things will be on your end.

This is the reason why I have my forms in my individual name, but I'm lucky that my sheriff will sign off on NFA items. If someone stops me and asks to see the paperwork, I have a full size 8 1/2 x 11 copy of my form with the sheriff's sign off on it. That will satisfy most LEO's if they are looking at it. If I'm on the side of the road with a rookie, that probably is not the time to start having to explain the ins and outs of trusts and the NFA, or he or she is going to let the NFA holder explain it to the boss downtown. Just my take on it. Keep it easy to read and simple for everyone.

And a side note, don't judge books by their cover. My sheriff is black, a Democrat, in Travis County. I've meet with him twice in person for NFA sign offs. He is professional and personable and told me he likes good citizens to be armed as it helps them. He is a good man.

The white "conservative Republican" in the adjacent county, Williamson, does not believe citizens should own NFA items and will not sign off.

So, take time to meet people and judge them by their actions, not their color or labels.

Re: Procedure for notifying the ATF that I have moved (stamp) [Re: TCB] #5645878 03/11/15 03:50 AM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D

You always need a copy on you. It says on the form:

"Proof of Registration: This approved application is the registrant’s proof of registration and it shall be made available to any ATF officer upon request."

To me, that means you better have it on you at all times.

Re: Procedure for notifying the ATF that I have moved (stamp) [Re: ETexas Hunter] #5646095 03/11/15 12:22 PM
B
BCJ Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
I just keep a binder of full sized copies locked in my truck. I found it easier to have one binder will all forms than to try to put a form in the case with the guns.

Re: Procedure for notifying the ATF that I have moved (stamp) [Re: ETexas Hunter] #5646107 03/11/15 12:30 PM
T
TCB Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
T
Ok, so as long as you can produce them in short order (IE: Gun case or truck) but don't necessarily have to have it on your person.

Re: Procedure for notifying the ATF that I have moved (stamp) [Re: BCJ] #5646139 03/11/15 12:47 PM
The Dude Abides Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: BCJ
I just keep a binder of full sized copies locked in my truck. I found it easier to have one binder will all forms than to try to put a form in the case with the guns.

I do the same but mine are high quality 1/2 size. I also keep PDF copies on my phone.

Originally Posted by Superduty
I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: Procedure for notifying the ATF that I have moved (stamp) [Re: ETexas Hunter] #5646323 03/11/15 02:37 PM
K
krmitchell Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
From what I understand, the burden of proof in Texas is on the owner of the item. Basically, you need to be able to prove to any LEO that you have the right to possess it, not them proving you don't. I keep a copy of my trust and stamps for all items in my shooting bag, glovebox of the truck and a digital copy on my phone at all times. I'm going to have one of those things with me always.

Originally Posted By: jeffbird

You do not know who, when or where you may be asked to see the paperwork. The simpler things are for the LEO, the easier things will be on your end.

This is the reason why I have my forms in my individual name, but I'm lucky that my sheriff will sign off on NFA items. If someone stops me and asks to see the paperwork, I have a full size 8 1/2 x 11 copy of my form with the sheriff's sign off on it. That will satisfy most LEO's if they are looking at it. If I'm on the side of the road with a rookie, that probably is not the time to start having to explain the ins and outs of trusts and the NFA, or he or she is going to let the NFA holder explain it to the boss downtown. Just my take on it. Keep it easy to read and simple for everyone.

And a side note, don't judge books by their cover. My sheriff is black, a Democrat, in Travis County. I've meet with him twice in person for NFA sign offs. He is professional and personable and told me he likes good citizens to be armed as it helps them. He is a good man.

The white "conservative Republican" in the adjacent county, Williamson, does not believe citizens should own NFA items and will not sign off.

So, take time to meet people and judge them by their actions, not their color or labels.

Did you do suppressors or SBR's? I've heard from basically everyone in Travis county that I asked that he will not sign off on an SBR under any circumstance, only suppressors.

Last edited by rexmitchell; 03/11/15 02:41 PM.
Re: Procedure for notifying the ATF that I have moved (stamp) [Re: ETexas Hunter] #5646423 03/11/15 03:38 PM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Suppressor only.

Re: Procedure for notifying the ATF that I have moved (stamp) [Re: ETexas Hunter] #5646424 03/11/15 03:39 PM
J
jdk1985 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
J
I keep a copy of my stamp in one of the waterproof compartments in my SOPMOD stock. Copies of trust/stamp in gun case.

Instagram @justinkingwoodworking
Re: Procedure for notifying the ATF that I have moved (stamp) [Re: jeffbird] #5646457 03/11/15 04:00 PM
K
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: jeffbird
Suppressor only.

I was hoping that was just a rumor about the SBR's but I guess not. Good info, thanks.

Re: Procedure for notifying the ATF that I have moved (stamp) [Re: TCB] #5646821 03/11/15 08:08 PM
T
Toxarch Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Ok, so as long as you can produce them in short order (IE: Gun case or truck) but don't necessarily have to have it on your person.

On private property, I never bother having it on me. As long as there's a paper copy on the property (back at camp), then I don't worry about it. If it were public hunting land, then I would carry a shrunken down copy with me somewhere.
The only ones who have asked me for it so far are the guys running the gun range.

� Dwight D. Eisenhower
Re: Procedure for notifying the ATF that I have moved (stamp) [Re: Toxarch] #5647381 03/12/15 01:46 AM
K
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: Toxarch

On private property, I never bother having it on me. As long as there's a paper copy on the property (back at camp), then I don't worry about it. If it were public hunting land, then I would carry a shrunken down copy with me somewhere.
The only ones who have asked me for it so far are the guys running the gun range.

Just curious because I have heard of this happening before, but what right does a gun range have to ask to see the paperwork? It isn't like they are liable if it isn't yours. Why the heck do they care?

Re: Procedure for notifying the ATF that I have moved (stamp) [Re: ETexas Hunter] #5647512 03/12/15 02:46 AM
boonee Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I'm in the same boat, I have had the gun range ask for proof of stamps on my SBR and suppressors. But not anyone else. When I went on a Texas Parks and Wildlife hunt I told the Park Ranger what I was hunting with. (300 BLK SBR) and (.308 can) I ask him did he need to see my stamps, he said " do you have them with you?" I said absolutely! He said " great, can I shoot it?) I keep a lamented copy of the stamps in the carring cases with each item.

Avenger Firearms 214-577-5818
avengerfirearms@gmail.com

Lifetime NRA member
Re: Procedure for notifying the ATF that I have moved (stamp) [Re: ETexas Hunter] #5647522 03/12/15 02:54 AM
T
Toxarch Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
I guess they could say you can't shoot there if you refuse. It was the first thing he asked for when I said I was shooting a suppressed SBR. He glanced over every page of the trust. Don't know why. He said he had filed for a suppressor and was waiting to get the stamp back. Maybe he was curious, maybe he was nosy.

� Dwight D. Eisenhower
Re: Procedure for notifying the ATF that I have moved (stamp) [Re: Toxarch] #5647971 03/12/15 01:39 PM
K
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: Toxarch
I guess they could say you can't shoot there if you refuse. It was the first thing he asked for when I said I was shooting a suppressed SBR. He glanced over every page of the trust. Don't know why. He said he had filed for a suppressor and was waiting to get the stamp back. Maybe he was curious, maybe he was nosy.

I'm sure they could refuse, I just wasn't sure what their rationale was for asking for it since I've heard of that happening a bunch. I don't shoot at ranges anymore, and I wouldn't shoot suppressed if I was but it just seems odd. I don't feel that it is appropriate to show my trust documents which contain other NFA items in there to someone I don't know. Seems pretty stupid to advertise to a complete stranger how many items you have at home, and what your address is (from the DL they ask when you show up). I know it is a far stretch but what is to stop them from calling someone up to rob you while you are shooting. Just my .02 cents.

Re: Procedure for notifying the ATF that I have moved (stamp) [Re: ETexas Hunter] #5675926 03/30/15 03:54 PM
J
J McCoy Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
I never tell them what I'm shooting besides the caliber when asked. Easier that way.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide