Print Thread
One Acre Hog Trap #5640964 03/08/15 03:38 PM
B
barnez Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
B
I'm looking to trap hogs in a very large "pen" at least one acre in size. I'm a hog hunter but not a trapper so I'm really interested in your thoughts. The idea would be if the pen is large enough the hogs aren't as stressed or hesitant to enter (See photo below)

- Build an octagon shaped pen 1 acre in size (roughly an 800 ft perimeter)
- Have a ultra wide gate entrance (approximately 20 feet wide)
- Setup a corn feeder in the pen at the opposite end of the gate
- Setup a cell phone camera next to the feeder
- Create a light trail of corn from outside the gate to the feeder
- Setup would be in hardwood timber
- I live less than 15 minutes from this lease. When I get a picture from my cell camera of the hogs I can go physically close the gate.
- I typically would be able to remove the hogs a dawn the next morning (the hogs would never be trapped for more than 12 hours)
- The pen could remain totally closed to during deer season, allowing deer to jump the fence but keeping hogs out

Questions
Will this work?
Would 1 acre be large enough?
Is the octagon the right shape?
What size fence and style would you recommend?

Last edited by barnez; 03/08/15 03:58 PM.
Re: One Acre Hog Trap [Re: barnez] #5641033 03/08/15 04:27 PM
S
splash556 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
If you build it they will come.

Do it!

And then let us know how it works out.

I know. Not much help sorry.

[Linked Image]
Re: One Acre Hog Trap [Re: barnez] #5641042 03/08/15 04:31 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
I know there was a ranch that built a 2.5 acre "trap pen" to hold hogs in that they caught in their other smaller traps. They always had hog running around the outside, so they built a small trap on each side that had a gate into the larger trap. This was back in the 80's. They would keep feed and water in the larger pen trap continuously.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: One Acre Hog Trap [Re: barnez] #5641049 03/08/15 04:37 PM
P
Pittstate Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
P
I would make sure to have a camera by the gate as well because larger/smarter hogs are going to be sitting outside waiting to see what happens to the dumb ones. Might take 3 days or 3 months to get the smarter ones in the trap. One thing is for sure....if they see that gate close while they are outside, 99% chance you lost your opportunity for those hogs.

Re: One Acre Hog Trap [Re: stxranchman] #5641071 03/08/15 04:52 PM
F
flintknapper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Three points:

It would not be necessary for the pen/trap to be an acre in size, but that is fine if you like.

Avoid 90° 'corners' regardless the size of the trap, hogs will 'pile up' in corners (initially) and literally climb one over the other. So your Octagon shape (or a round pen) is correct.

The larger the entrance point (also seen as an escape route by hogs) the better. Hogs (especially groups) are much more apt to enter a pen with a large entrance than a small one.

Note: I prefer to use full 5' utility panels with 4" squares. I've had too many hogs clear (or climb) 4' high panels and the smaller panels squares (4") prevent all but the smallest piglets from escaping. Typical 'Cattle Panel' will allow little ones to get out (or get wedged in the panel).

Best of luck to you. Hope you catch a mess of these pests!

Flint.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: One Acre Hog Trap [Re: barnez] #5641101 03/08/15 05:11 PM
R
REALKILLER Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Ive always wanted to build a big one like that, and when it was loaded just shut the gate myself. I would make a v shaped loading spot that would be shut off and then opened to load hogs. The sooner you get them loaded the better. They are some cunning animals. They will actually bunch up and make a ladder to climb out. Also they get very aggressive when penned up. A hog can whip its head back at a 90 degree angle in a millisecond and harm you, just incase you feel the need to straddle one. Short neck long reach, lightning fast, and those dull looking tusk will go through a hog dog vest with no problem. Just don't let your guard down ever!

Recently got a gym membership, strange folks! I like to show up the roid zombies with my full motion curls with the 55lb. bells. Not their cheater short stroked light weights. It's holarious.
Re: One Acre Hog Trap [Re: barnez] #5641102 03/08/15 05:12 PM
R
REALKILLER Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Ive always wanted to build a big one like that, and when it was loaded just shut the gate myself. I would make a v shaped loading spot that would be shut off and then opened to load hogs. The sooner you get them loaded the better. They are some cunning animals. They will actually bunch up and make a ladder to climb out. Also they get very aggressive when penned up. A hog can whip its head back at a 90 degree angle in a millisecond and harm you, just incase you feel the need to straddle one. Short neck long reach, lightning fast, and those dull looking tusk will go through a hog dog vest with no problem. Just don't let your guard down ever!

Recently got a gym membership, strange folks! I like to show up the roid zombies with my full motion curls with the 55lb. bells. Not their cheater short stroked light weights. It's holarious.
Re: One Acre Hog Trap [Re: barnez] #5641107 03/08/15 05:15 PM
D
der Teufel Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
D
I Agree that you don't really need an acre sized trap. There's nothing really wrong with it, although it may be hard to get the hogs out. Do you plan to take them out alive to sell to a processor, or just shoot them in the trap? Either way, they'll have a fair amount of room to run around and get away from you in an acre.

A large entrance 'should' entice more hogs to enter the trap. I've heard of folks who make two funnel-shaped openings, or rather an entrance and an exit, so that the hogs get accustomed to 'passing through' the trap. One funnel leads into the trap, the other makes it easy to go out. When they wish to trap hogs they close the exit and set a trigger on the entrance.

Otherwise, Flintknapper's comments apply.

I have two unwritten rules:
Re: One Acre Hog Trap [Re: barnez] #5641146 03/08/15 05:37 PM
B
barnez Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
B
I was thinking a one acre pen since that would put the gate around 220 ft from the feeder. I'm comfortable with that distance to quietly close a gate in darkness with hogs. How close do you think the gate and feeder could be without spooking the hogs?

I personally would only shoot them, but if I could devise a reasonable way to move them into a livestock trailer that would be a bonus.

Re: One Acre Hog Trap [Re: barnez] #5641173 03/08/15 05:55 PM
D
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
D
I'd think about a remote gate closing mechanism, even if it's just a rope you yank on from 50 or 100 feet downwind from the gate. I wouldn't worry about closing the gate quietly, I'd concentrate on doing it quickly. Once it's closed, the hogs are caught.

Or are you thinking about a conventional cattle gate that you swing shut and latch?

Re: One Acre Hog Trap [Re: der Teufel] #5641201 03/08/15 06:13 PM
B
barnez Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: der Teufel
I'd think about a remote gate closing mechanism, even if it's just a rope you yank on from 50 or 100 feet downwind from the gate. I wouldn't worry about closing the gate quietly, I'd concentrate on doing it quickly. Once it's closed, the hogs are caught.

Or are you thinking about a conventional cattle gate that you swing shut and latch?

I was thinking about something like a pair of 10 ft wire filled gates with a post in the center or possibly a single 16 ft gate.

Re: One Acre Hog Trap [Re: barnez] #5641460 03/08/15 09:42 PM
F
flintknapper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
A single 12' gate would be plenty wide. Your focus will need to be on a way to close it 'quickly'.

A potential problem I foresee...with too large a pen/trap, is that hogs (at least the educated/pressured ones) will be reluctant to enter the trap very far away from what they know to be the escape route (read gate). The answer to that (as previously mentioned) is a 'walk through' pen (gates on each end). It is my opinion...that you can simply dispense with that option by making a trap that is 'optimally' sized.

If I understand you correctly, your plan is to make a large trap, with the bait area at the far end of the trap. So large...that it would allow you to approach the trap (un-noticed) and shut it manually? I think in reality...what you will experience are few hogs willing to go that far away from the gate (escape route). Instead...I would expect to see them milling around outside the panels near the bait area, possibly digging under after time.

Another possible issue involves your 'approach' to the trap. Even if you are extremely quiet, you will likely have hogs on the periphery to deal with and of course...if the wind in not in your favor you will be 'busted' hundreds of yards before you ever reach the trap.

You indicate that your plan (at least initially) is to shoot the trapped animals. That is fine, but in such a large area you would literally have to go in and stalk them. I don't know if you have experience with trapped hogs, but when it comes time to dispatch them (or load them), the less room they have...the better.

It would not be impossible to rig up a lightweight 12' gate to drop 'guillotine style', but it would still require you to come up with something that the hogs themselves trigger or that you trigger remotely.

Even so, do not expect to catch every pig. They become 'trap shy' very quickly, believe me.

One last thing, don't forget the all important 'Corn Arrow'.

Just get after 'em, we can use all the help we can get.

Flint.

Re: One Acre Hog Trap [Re: barnez] #5641492 03/08/15 09:58 PM
D
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
D
Yes, whatever type of trap you utilize, never omit the corn arrow !!

Seriously, Flintknapper's comments about potential problems with stray hogs busting you when you approach the trap to manually close the gates are right on. I'd recommend a smaller trap with a closing mechanism triggered by the hogs. Simpler and more reliable.
a) You don't really need a 1 acre trap, although the larger the entrance the better.
b) Collecting or shooting hogs is easier in a smaller trap.
c) Smaller traps are cheaper and easier to construct and maintain.

You'll never catch them all, but keep trying and let us know how it all goes.

Re: One Acre Hog Trap [Re: barnez] #5641929 03/09/15 01:17 AM
R
REALKILLER Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
If you had an old open gap on the property that the hogs travel through on a regular basis, that might be a good comfortable spot to build the beginning of your trap. And leave the backside open for a while, so they can travel through the fenced in area with comfort. If its going to be built this spring put the trap in a position that can be accessed with a Texas dominate south wind in your favor if you want to close it by hand. If there is some cover on the gate end there wont be a problem with just sneaking or running up to it and closing it. With the large size they will just run away from you and not towards the exit. Then its just pigs in a barrel. bang bang!

Re: One Acre Hog Trap [Re: barnez] #5643575 03/09/15 11:00 PM
B
barnez Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
B
So here is a question phrased a bit differently...

How big of a pen would it take for hogs to feel like they have simply walked through a opening in a fence and less like they have walked into a "trap"?

Everyone talks about hogs getting shy to traps, I'm wondering if you make the trap & gate large enough does that become much less of an issue. I'm not as worried about the cost of this, but do I want a permanent trap pen that remains useful over the next 20 years or so. It might also have some value in protecting food plots from hogs.

As you can see from my graphic below, the cost per acre fenced comes down per acre the larger the pen gets.

[/URL]

Re: One Acre Hog Trap [Re: barnez] #5643585 03/09/15 11:07 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
And at what point do you get to where it's difficult to get them out? And do you have water in the trap area?

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: One Acre Hog Trap [Re: barnez] #5644121 03/10/15 03:17 AM
F
flintknapper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F

Quote:
Barnez wrote:

So here is a question phrased a bit differently...
How big of a pen would it take for hogs to feel like they have simply walked through a opening in a fence and less like they have walked into a "trap"?

Hard to say exactly...because you will run across hogs that are already 'trap wise' and others that don't (yet) have a 'clue'. Many variables involved. You will never fool some of them, others can be enticed to enter quite easily.

Quote:
Everyone talks about hogs getting shy to traps, I'm wondering if you make the trap & gate large enough does that become much less of an issue.

Certainly, but there is a point of diminishing returns. The ONLY way I can see your proposal (exceptionally large pen trap) being feasible and profitable (time wise) would be IF your property has a spot that is a natural travel-way for Feral Hogs. IF certain terrain features 'funnel' hogs into a relatively small area... then you could employ the large trap method with some success. Hogs would be entering as a matter of travel, rather than being 'baited' in. Of course, few properties provide for such an endeavor.

Once you start to 'bait' hogs into a trap (typically with corn) things start to get a bit dicey (or can). You are relying on one of two things: 'Greed or Need'. Hogs are opportunistic feeders (where conditions are good) and will often take advantage of an easily accessible food source, (provided the risk is not too great). You might consider these to be your 'greed hogs' since they COULD sustain themselves just fine... another place, another food source. They are only eating your corn...because its easy and quick. They will not be as committed as a 'need hog'.

Certain times of the year (in Texas, late summer and again just before the spring green up), there is much less for hogs to forage on (fewer grasses, forbs, tubers, mast crop isn't there yet...or is already gone), life is not as easy for them (most places). Additionally, Sows might have piglets that are actively nursing...which REALLY pulls the sow down. It is common for hogs to travel greater distances in search of food during these stress periods, so the 'NEED' for food (ANY source) can work to your advantage. These are much easier hogs to trap.

But...regardless their circumstance, hogs are smart. Not 'smart' as if they can 'reason' or are capable of abstract thought, but they make 'associations' very quickly. IF you fail to trap a hog, shoot a hog, snare a hog, etc...they WILL learn from the experience. It doesn't take 'multiple' bad experiences for them to recognize danger or risk.

So...back to your pen/trap proposal. Even if you fenced in a couple of acres, if you use only one entrance...the hogs will walk the perimeter and discover there is only a single entrance/escape route, despite the trap being large.

IF you place the bait at the far end of the trap (in order for you to have time to manually trip it), I think you will find it a challenge to get hogs to go that far from the escape route, (at least with 'new' hogs). It is possible to condition them (over a period days) to settle down at a feed site, but most groups of hogs are transient and do not stay in one area for long periods of time.

One exception being Boar Hogs...if you can provide an estrous sow...they will go anywhere you put her...pretty much.

I just don't want to see you go to a lot of effort and expense to accomplish that which could be done with much less. Consider also the possible 'negatives' of an extremely large trap.

1. Not portable/moveable..so if anything happens...that influences/changes the travel practices of hogs on the property, you are in serious trouble.

2. Any hogs you trap will have a rather large area in which to move...which will make it more difficult to shoot them. If you plan to 'trailer' them, they can be 'herded' toward one end of the trap, but you'll need to make a smaller loading gate (with ramp). Even in a small(er) enclosure...this can turn into a rodeo of sorts. Not good for the hogs or humans.

3. Not related to the size of the trap: 'Manually' tripping/shutting the gate might prove to be more a challenge than you might imagine, and seems to be the driving force behind the large pen design.

It could well work if you have no pigs on the periphery, the wind is right, the thermals are right and you are quiet. But...if it were me, I would rig the trap such that you could shut the gate from a remote location, or have the pigs trip it.

I know on the surface it sounds like a good idea (manual trip/shut) and on a bluebird day when you aren't doing anything else...it would be great. But when your pigs are in the pen at 3:00 a.m. on a cold rainy night, you'd have to be really 'dedicated' to go after them.

Not trying to discourage your trapping efforts, but I think you can get by with a lot less.

Best of luck, whatever you choose. We certainly need more folks trying to put a dent in the population.

Flint.

Re: One Acre Hog Trap [Re: barnez] #5644272 03/10/15 04:25 AM
E
epp838 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
E
looks like a good plan, can't wait to see the pics

Re: One Acre Hog Trap [Re: barnez] #5644316 03/10/15 05:01 AM
Ramsey Online Content
Pepe' Le Pew
Online Content
Pepe' Le Pew
The responses you have recieved are great, but I am going to stick to your design of an acre. I would find a way to get the gate closed without doing it manually. If you are going to put that much work in, why not dig out a water hole, multiple feeders w 12v batteries spitting out corn. I hope this works out for you it is a big project

Big Beckett!!
Re: One Acre Hog Trap [Re: barnez] #5646136 03/11/15 12:46 PM
V
Vern1 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
V
You can setup a car alarm with multiple channels, relays and "door poppers" to do some amazing things for pretty cheap and the remote has about a 100 foot range so you could approach quietly or sit in a blind but you can extend the range somewhat by using better antenna on alarm end.
Since you are already going to spend a few thousand on fence a couple of hundred for a car alarm, a few relays and some door poppers, battery and maybe a solar cell to charge it to drop the gate.
One with 6 or 8 channels are cheap and gets you lots of options that you trip remotely like:
feeders, gates, calls, lights, etc.

Last edited by Vern1; 03/11/15 12:47 PM.

Cheers,
Vern1
Texans since The Old 300 in 1824
NRA Lifetime Member
Re: One Acre Hog Trap [Re: barnez] #5646309 03/11/15 02:29 PM
Ramsey Online Content
Pepe' Le Pew
Online Content
Pepe' Le Pew
This is very similar to a research question. " what needs to be inside the trap to sustain hogs, plenty of food, water and cover." You have everything except water.

Big Beckett!!
Re: One Acre Hog Trap [Re: barnez] #5659640 03/20/15 04:06 AM
F
flintknapper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Did anything ever become of this?

I am interested to know the outcome. Always looking for different (and more effective) ways to reduce the hog population.

Flint.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide