Forums46
Topics537,026
Posts9,719,545
Members86,989
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: 150 grain ballistic did not do him in [Re: pedrov23] #5656773 03/18/15 05:40 PM
R
REALKILLER Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
It does for me unless it is a low shock bullet like a slow mover, but not too fast either. I have good luck with the 3000 fps neighborhood. Too powerful and Ill be crawling around like a tracking dog looking for specks of blood. Too slow with low shock and you've got low internal damage and no blood trail with no exit hole. I want the bullet to do its maximum potential in the animal that's where it really counts.

Recently got a gym membership, strange folks! I like to show up the roid zombies with my full motion curls with the 55lb. bells. Not their cheater short stroked light weights. It's holarious.
Re: 150 grain ballistic did not do him in [Re: Double Naught Spy] #5656947 03/18/15 07:01 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
[quote=Double Naught Spy]
Understand that a lot of your "experienced" hunters hunt with pie plate accuracy that they consider to be good enough for "the boiler room." Far too many don't bother to properly sight in their rifles or change ammo before a hunt and can't count of very good accuracy that would be needed for ear shots. Others don't know where to aim to compensate for drop in order to make such a shot. They sight in and practice at a given distance and then try shooting at some radically different distance, often with poor results.

I cringe every time sometime says they are sighted in with "minute of hog" or that their gun is "accurate enough to hit a hog at 100 yards." Heck, I had a keyholing rifle (worn barrel) that could hit a hog at 100 yards - could be the head, leg, butt, but you could hit a hog with it, not that you would know where.

[quote]

Preach it! up

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: 150 grain ballistic did not do him in [Re: pedrov23] #5657107 03/18/15 08:36 PM
R
REALKILLER Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Do people really hunt with pie plate accuracy? Ive heard of old men talk about it, but with todays modern technology it would be hard to shoot that bad, even if you had some low end equipment. Im sure there are people out there that don't have some good guidance and would accept pie plate accuracy, but I think that if you've got some decent gun knowledge, you would know better. rifle

Recently got a gym membership, strange folks! I like to show up the roid zombies with my full motion curls with the 55lb. bells. Not their cheater short stroked light weights. It's holarious.
Re: 150 grain ballistic did not do him in [Re: REALKILLER] #5657219 03/18/15 09:31 PM
D
dawaba Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
Years ago, I was shooting at the Garland Shooting Range, and the middle-aged fella next to me was checking his zero prior to deer season. With him was a teenager I took to be his son. He was shooting a .30-06 in an old battered bolt gun with an old battered scope.

With my spotting scope, I took a peek at his group. It was around 4" or so but was so far to the right as to be nearly off the paper at 100 yards. The boy asked his dad if he knew how to adjust the scope to move the grouping to the left. The dad responded, "Nah, I'll just allow 8" to the left when I aim at the deer."

So they started packing up their gear, so I offered to adjust the scope and see if it would adjust far enough to the left. The man declined the offer and said that he never touches a scope; he just memorizes where the gun is hitting and takes that into account when he's aiming.

True story.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple.....and wrong." H. L. Mencken
Re: 150 grain ballistic did not do him in [Re: pedrov23] #5657348 03/18/15 10:50 PM
R
REALKILLER Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
The good thing is that you were nice enough to offer and have a good conscious. Some folks are a little hard headed. When I was a kid my friend had an iron sighted pump up Crossman pellet. He would always aim low and right. He hit every thing, but I knew this just wasn't right. His dad wouldn't even sight it in for him. We were young, so we didn't know how. Didn't take long to learn how though. I have hunted with people that had bad vision, but if they could get on target they shot real good. My eyes have weekend over the years but haven't failed me yet. Ive never had to wear glasses, but can tell that they are changing with age. Ive been fortunate. That same boy that used to hunt with that the low and right gun was an awesome shot with a deer rifle. I sat next to him on a rock mountain down in Llano and watched him shoot a buck a long ways away at the age of 12 with the gun resting on his knee. Ive seen grown men that couldn't pull that off. He died in 1999. RIP Roy. angel

Re: 150 grain ballistic did not do him in [Re: pedrov23] #5657650 03/19/15 01:34 AM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I did some guiding back in the early 80's. I got to meet some very bad shots. I'd say that a very small percentage of hunters are very good shots. Most are mediocre shooters at best, with a rifle that might or might not be sighted in well. Don't assume that most folks are good shots. And to make matters worse, too many folks shoot 'at the deer' and not a spot on the deer. I think bad shooting is more the norm than the exception, which is the first thought I have when somebody posts that they hate this or that bullet because the deer or pig "ran off when I shot him".

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: 150 grain ballistic did not do him in [Re: 603Country] #5657666 03/19/15 01:40 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
^^Agree^^

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: 150 grain ballistic did not do him in [Re: pedrov23] #5658172 03/19/15 12:44 PM
R
REALKILLER Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Funny story, I used to know a man that would go down to the local gun range and do some shootin. He said that there was always this cop there shooting his sniper rifle at paper targets. He would always be shooting using the aid of sand bags and the concrete bench while shooting his high dollar super heavy bull barrel rifle. The old man asked the main city cop sniper of a town populated with about 100,000 people if he would shoot the old mans M1A iron sighted rifle free handed in the standing position at the 200 yard metal dong. He gave him the rifle and the cop didn't hit [censored] but the ground. The old man got the rifle, reloaded it and the old man shot the dong till he emptied the clip. So if the cop was considered a good shot what was the old man. A more experienced shooter? a more practical shooter? Is the bad guy always going to be like the paper target, like a stone? no he is not. I would want the old man on my six over that cop any day of the week, because when the hell comes down it aint going to be sitting still. Just like wild animals don't sit still.
bounce

Re: 150 grain ballistic did not do him in [Re: REALKILLER] #5659400 03/20/15 01:21 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
What about the guy that can shoot on his belly, seated behind a backpack, off a fence, a tailgate, a truck window, kneeling, and offhand and can repeatedly hit more than lots of folks can from a bench?

I know some guys...

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: 150 grain ballistic did not do him in [Re: pedrov23] #5660058 03/20/15 03:05 PM
R
REALKILLER Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
I rarely go to the range, but when I do its normally with a friend because Im not a member. I usually just check my zero and that's it. One time there was this dude that had some of those man shaped paper targets set up at the hundred yard mark. I asked him if he minded if I shot at one of them with my model 700 .223 and he said it was ok. I caught him looking after each shot I made with his spotting scope at my hits. I shot an eye hole and then another eye hole and then a nose hole and then I made a smile with about 5 shots. I made a smiley face on his target. roflmao rifleI

Re: 150 grain ballistic did not do him in [Re: pedrov23] #5660081 03/20/15 03:12 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
It is hard when your ammo doesn't cooperate, but you can still git'r done...

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: 150 grain ballistic did not do him in [Re: pedrov23] #5660809 03/20/15 10:49 PM
R
REALKILLER Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
My web service is weak Ill keep trying to download video

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide