Print Thread
Results of Hagerman Hog Hunt?? #5638800 03/07/15 03:07 AM
W
WileyCoyote Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
This weekend is the 1st of 2 Hog Hunts at the Hagerman Refuge WMA @ Lake Texoma. Anybody on here get a Permit? !st Day Results??
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: Results of Hagerman Hog Hunt?? [Re: WileyCoyote] #5640011 03/07/15 10:26 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
The Federales changed the Lottery System this year to a 1st come 1st Serve instead of a drawing, and I was asleep at the wheel for the pair of 3 day hunts that started this weekend ...15 minutes from the house. 170 hunters over 2 weekends last year took 134 critters, using your choice of archery, BP & Shotgun.

I'm told they got more of 'em this year and better concentrated on the 11k+ acres...be interesting to see the results.
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

Re: Results of Hagerman Hog Hunt?? [Re: WileyCoyote] #5640601 03/08/15 05:18 AM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
eeks333 dang, had AR at OSBWMA & didn't get squat. cheers just goes ta show, right place right time. scratch or i'm an illusionist rofl agh, the girls look prettyet at closen time. rofl my mind wondered. last few years been tough hunt, could be high-tech, general hog, any legal meens, ak's were heard know tis the AR's.. This first heard of Hagerman cheers whats cost for lottery draw? Think its like 2-5 $ for dtaw + $100.00 if drawn for hunts most places. cheers good info flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Results of Hagerman Hog Hunt?? [Re: WileyCoyote] #5641022 03/08/15 04:18 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Google Hagerman Refuge WMA, click on Hunting to see permit costs. $5 App fee and $25 for Permit. NO CASH or CC's, Checks or MO's Only.

Seems like it was the same in '14, but dunno about '16 and won't until the Hunt is Posted in the Website prolly in December.

Hagerman is a Federal WMA and run totally seperately from TPW....and why the Requirement of NO LEAD ALLOWED for shotgun and BP ammo....totally different set of Regs for sure.
Ron

Last edited by WileyCoyote; 03/08/15 06:48 PM. Reason: update info on Permits

Re: Results of Hagerman Hog Hunt?? [Re: WileyCoyote] #5645910 03/11/15 04:13 AM
W
WileyCoyote Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
S'posed to go build/rehab BlueBird Box's manana at the Refugea ss part of a F of H ongoing project, mebbe I can find out what the Tally was on the Hog Hunt.
Ron

Re: Results of Hagerman Hog Hunt?? [Re: WileyCoyote] #5661998 03/21/15 06:00 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
TT the Refuge Mgr today, sez they got about 140+ hogs over the 2 weekends of the 2014 Lottery Hunt.

Tbe opening weekend of 2015 Hunt was about 70+ reported kills as she remembered, and no word yet on this weekend's Permit Hunt, but expects more Harvest this year with the weather and more Permit'ed Hunters showing up for registration.

OBTW the guys doing the most scoring are using shotguns, and HeviShot segmented 3 pellet tungsten ammo to meet the Federal Non Toxic Regs. Academy in Sherman was out of the segemented stuff but had 5 round box's of #4 Buck @ $5 a box....that looked too small & thin to get the job done past 30-35 yards to me.

Had talked to some guys Thursday who said their 3 pellet segmented tungsten would score at decent groups at 60+ yards using smooth bore bird guns.
Ron

Re: Results of Hagerman Hog Hunt?? [Re: WileyCoyote] #5662124 03/21/15 07:56 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
If your referring to the Hevi Shot brand Hog Wild three ball shotshell, it is not tungsten. At first they were not allowed for this hunt after a field detection device indicated they may have lead in them. Turns out the Hog Wild shells are made from a Zinc Alloy and though zinc would not be allowed for waterfowl, it is a non toxic load and was given the ok for the Hog hunt. The balls are actually lighter than steel balls of the same size. Makes them faster within range and safer. The new Dead Coyote Frangible loads are possibly of the same Zinc Alloy.

Re: Results of Hagerman Hog Hunt?? [Re: WileyCoyote] #5662246 03/21/15 09:47 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Good to know "HeviShot is not tungsten" as the Hagerman Mgr said to me this morning at the FofH Annual Meeting... I prolly won't correct her though. I know the HeviShot #4 buck I looked at academy said it was tungsten on the carton, and stopped Kathy after the meeting for another idea on where to find ammo, as she'd sent me to Academy when I talked to her about ammo to use on Thursday. Whatever works and is cheaper than the solid copper stuff I looked at last year at $4-$5+ bux per round & blew off applying for a Permit this year, and is acceptable by NF&WS for use on a Federal Refuge is OK by me.

Sure hope they do the "1st come 1st Serve" deal on Hog Permits again next year & not the Draw Lottery like I did in '14 & got skunked. Kathy said they had more Permit Holders show up this year too than in '14...all she wants is to have folks kill as many hogs as possible "within the Regs".

Sniper...you got any idea of how far the Hog Wild 3Ball rounds will shoot accurately - inside 6" pattern at what max avg distance? - & can they be shot out of a rifled barrel like the saboted copper slugs?

Looking at buying a Carlson ext'd rifled choke tube at less than 10% the cost of a Benelli Rifled Shotgun barrel for the SuperNova anyway and shoot saboted lead slugs that are s'posed hold 6"s (or better with the "right" ammo) at 100+ yards to use on Lottery & Type 2 Land with shotgun only restrictions.
Ron

Re: Results of Hagerman Hog Hunt?? [Re: WileyCoyote] #5663252 03/22/15 03:18 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
All I know is what I read online. Someone on a cast bullet forum weighed the pellets and analyzed the metal content of those hog wild shells. They also emailed the company. Part of their reply mentioned the dead coyote testing as if it had the same composition. There is also another post about midway advertising dead coyote as heavier than lead, but what they received had pellets lighter than lead or too light to be tungsten. I don't know if they changed something recently or if there a separate "frangable" load that is getting confused with the original dead coyote load. Not that it matters as a non tox load for hogs, but those using them pass shooting cranes while hunting geese might want to look into it as zinc alloy is not an approved shot for waterfowl.

Re: Results of Hagerman Hog Hunt?? [Re: WileyCoyote] #5663440 03/22/15 05:32 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Saw a Fiocchi round on Graf's last nite that sez it's a "Zinc Plated Steel Slug" but the description calls it "segmented" too ???

Fiocchi 2.75" Rifled Steel Slug 1630fps # FC12SLXTXP & not for smooth bore or rifled choke tubes....fully rifled barrels only...and so new it is not shown in the Fiocchi factory website.

Gonna be spending some volunteer time at Hagermen this year, working for the Friends of Hagermen group on whatever needs to be done, whenever they need an extra hand. so I'll be looking at stuff & talking to folks I've never thought about before and prolly asking dumb questions, but may be able to shed some light on the Feds answers. Already found out they are not at all opposed to Hunting and see it as a necessary Management tool. My way to get away from the DinL's Medical Issues tension until we can get some resolutions after a almost 2 year Journey so far, with no end in sight.

FWIW Step 1 of 5 or 6 known Issues To Be Addressed starts tomorrow, with a brain surgery to alleviate the 75% blockage of blood flow by a usally non malignant tumor in the cerebellum, all along the right side of her head from the optic nerve to the cerebellum/spinal cord junction area, and affects everything in between, creating more havoc than I would ever imagined.
Ron

Re: Results of Hagerman Hog Hunt?? [Re: WileyCoyote] #5664396 03/23/15 01:51 AM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted By: WileyCoyote

Gonna be spending some volunteer time at Hagermen this year, working for the Friends of Hagermen group on whatever needs to be done, whenever they need an extra hand. so I'll be looking at stuff & talking to folks I've never thought about before and prolly asking dumb questions, but may be able to shed some light on the Feds answers. Already found out they are not at all opposed to Hunting and see it as a necessary Management tool. My way to get away from the DinL's Medical Issues tension until we can get some resolutions after a almost 2 year Journey so far, with no end in sight.

FWIW Step 1 of 5 or 6 known Issues To Be Addressed starts tomorrow, with a brain surgery to alleviate the 75% blockage of blood flow by a usally non malignant tumor in the cerebellum, all along the right side of her head from the optic nerve to the cerebellum/spinal cord junction area, and affects everything in between, creating more havoc than I would ever imagined.
Ron
scratch not sure who the tumor surgury. angel Prayer's flag

i'm postaddic
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide