Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
Originally Posted By: Tff caribou
Originally Posted By: blackcoal
I only have two 300 WM, a Ruger # 1 and Ruger M77. For normal shooting I load them down and also use a PAST recoil pad. Never been to Alaska or Africa so haven't found the real need for the full load. Can't see messing up the lines of a classic by adding brake or suppressor when I can work around it with lighter loads and some shoulder protection. JMHO

Totally off topic here, but if you don't need the full power of a 300wm, and load around it and have to wear shoulder protection, and why not sell it and buy something more suited to your needs?

From what I gather the rifle has sentimental value to him. I understand that completely.

That said, I can't stand muzzle brakes. I consider them a bane on society and ruinous to any rifle for hunting purposes (certainly for non-long range hunting).

If it were mine, I would leave it "as is" and shoot it just enough to verify zero and continue to hunt with it. If that became physically untenable, I would retire it and pass it down unaltered some day.

But that's just me.

Solid advice from NP on a gun with sentimental value. Easy to work up milder loads for it or have Chad do it for you and turn it into a cream puff.