6237525 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#5638119 - 03/06/15 02:59 PM Anyone run Falken Rocky Mountain ATS
Halfadozen Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Parker County
Looking at replacing my Nitto Grapplers in a month or so and heard good things about the Falken. Size would be 275/65/20 on a F150 4wd Lariat.

#5638141 - 03/06/15 03:16 PM Re: Anyone run Falken Rocky Mountain ATS [Re: Halfadozen]
aerangis Offline
Tracker

Loc: Nunya
Here's some Falken reviews.....

It's a Dodge fanboy site, but it should be helpful.

http://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-dakota/277491-review-of-falken-rocky-mountain-tires.html

#5638183 - 03/06/15 03:39 PM Re: Anyone run Falken Rocky Mountain ATS [Re: Halfadozen]
Shotgun Willie Offline
Tracker

Loc: McKinney, TX
I've got a set on my F250, and hate them. Now, hate is a strong word. Knowing that, I use it fully and intentionally. Do a Google image search for that tire, and look at a used one that's got some miles on it. It doesn't take many miles for all the cool looking sipes and ridges to disappear completely, leaving you with a tire that looks like a drag radial. They don't balance well, they're noisy as all get out, and give a squishy performance. Utterly worthless in any type of mud. They are, however, awesome in the rain, I have to give that to them.

Overall, I hate 'em. Even if they cost half as much as the competition, I'd pay the extra cost to run something useful.

#5638215 - 03/06/15 04:03 PM Re: Anyone run Falken Rocky Mountain ATS [Re: Halfadozen]
Cochise Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Texas
I ran Terra Grapplers for a long time on several trucks. I've switched over to Cooper Discover ATP. I run them on my 3/4 ton diesel and get 60K out of them no problem. I have heard bad things about the Falkens.

#5638247 - 03/06/15 04:28 PM Re: Anyone run Falken Rocky Mountain ATS [Re: Halfadozen]
skinnerback Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Rockport, Tx.
I would stay away from Falken, they are crap tires.

#5638330 - 03/06/15 05:20 PM Re: Anyone run Falken Rocky Mountain ATS [Re: skinnerback]
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi

Originally Posted By: skinnerback

This...^^^^^^^. I put a set on my truck before I went to West Texas to hunt. I bought them from Discount on their recommendation. I had 400 miles on them with my first trip out west and had a flat that the hole was at the edge of the tread/sidewall. I had the extended warranty but I told them I was getting a full refund since I had never had a flat on the BFG 10 ply in 4 yrs on the same ranch. I went into Ft Stockton and bought 4 new tires that next morning, BFG 10 ply. Took the 4 Falken tires back for a full refund.

#5638353 - 03/06/15 05:37 PM Re: Anyone run Falken Rocky Mountain ATS [Re: stxranchman]
THF Celebrity

Originally Posted By: stxranchman

This...^^^^^^^. I put a set on my truck before I went to West Texas to hunt. I bought them from Discount on their recommendation. I had 400 miles on them with my first trip out west and had a flat that the hole was at the edge of the tread/sidewall. I had the extended warranty but I told them I was getting a full refund since I had never had a flat on the BFG 10 ply in 4 yrs on the same ranch. I went into Ft Stockton and bought 4 new tires that next morning, BFG 10 ply. Took the 4 Falken tires back for a full refund.

The composition of Falken tires is pretty soft compared to others. They also don't hold patches well (like most cheap tires due to pin holes in the liner from the factory that cause slow leaks after a patch - not all but a good majority). They wear out and dry rot faster than most other brands. A lot of new trucks at least when I was in the business, came with them. I've replaced a lot of them with 15-30 K miles that looked like they had 50-60 on them. Keep them the heck away from thorns. Might as well be running 4 ply's from Wal-Mart.

#5638387 - 03/06/15 05:55 PM Re: Anyone run Falken Rocky Mountain ATS [Re: skinnerback]
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi

The composition of Falken tires is pretty soft compared to others. They also don't hold patches well (like most cheap tires due to pin holes in the liner from the factory that cause slow leaks after a patch - not all but a good majority). They wear out and dry rot faster than most other brands. A lot of new trucks at least when I was in the business, came with them. I've replaced a lot of them with 15-30 K miles that looked like they had 50-60 on them. Keep them the heck away from thorns. Might as well be running 4 ply's from Wal-Mart.

I bought 10 ply rated Falkens...never again. I would not use them to put on the highway to walk a dozer across on top of them.

#5638419 - 03/06/15 06:22 PM Re: Anyone run Falken Rocky Mountain ATS [Re: stxranchman]
THF Celebrity

I bought 10 ply rated Falkens...never again. I would not use them to put on the highway to walk a dozer across on top of them.

roflmao

#5639083 - 03/07/15 03:20 AM Re: Anyone run Falken Rocky Mountain ATS [Re: Halfadozen]
Halfadozen Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Parker County
Thanks all, I'll look at another Brand. @Cochise I'll check out the Coopers. Haven't got the mileage I expected out of the Nitto Terra Grapplers I expected for the price, all said and done probably around 45k miles. Trying to stay under $1000 for an AT tire which is probably wishful thinking.

#5641002 - 03/08/15 11:01 AM Re: Anyone run Falken Rocky Mountain ATS [Re: Halfadozen]
easton1025 Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: carrollton texas
LOL....Ive had 2 sets on my 04 4x4 Excursion and and LOVE them..Got 50k out of the first set and no problems...They are on the ranch every weekend from Aug to Feb...I rotate mine ever 5k miles..Just put on a new set 2 months ago..as far as noisy I havnt noticed it being any louder than the grapplers that were on it before I went with the Falken..

#5646247 - 03/11/15 08:53 AM Re: Anyone run Falken Rocky Mountain ATS [Re: Halfadozen]
Loanman Offline
Tracker

Loc: Keller Texas
had them on my Tundra, they wore out so fast....Never again.

#5647043 - 03/11/15 05:49 PM Re: Anyone run Falken Rocky Mountain ATS [Re: Halfadozen]
thewrap Online   content
Pro Tracker

Loc: Lubbock, Texas
I've been running Toyo Open Country AT2 and love them. I've got 50k on them now and shouldn't have any issues getting 30k more. I've got them on my 3/4 ton Ford and about 1/3 of my milage is pulling a trailer of some sort.

#5649225 - 03/12/15 10:42 PM Re: Anyone run Falken Rocky Mountain ATS [Re: Halfadozen]
Shotgun Willie Offline
Tracker

Loc: McKinney, TX
I just put a brand new set of Terra Grapplers on the F250 today, night and day difference. Haven't run them before, we'll see what the tread wear ends up being like. With a comma in the price tag, I'd love to not have to buy another set in 30k miles.

#5649368 - 03/13/15 06:21 AM Re: Anyone run Falken Rocky Mountain ATS [Re: Shotgun Willie]
THF Celebrity

Originally Posted By: Shotgun Willie
I just put a brand new set of Terra Grapplers on the F250 today, night and day difference. Haven't run them before, we'll see what the tread wear ends up being like. With a comma in the price tag, I'd love to not have to buy another set in 30k miles.

Won't be a problem with the Terra Grapplers, they've been good to me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide