Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Getting in shape for a elk hunt #5636552 03/05/15 11:25 PM
pcr Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
I am going on a elk hunt in September in British columbia. I am not over wieght by much (15-20 lbs) does anyone have any recommendations on what to really focus on in order to have a great hunt and not be physically limited?

Re: Getting in shape for a elk hunt [Re: pcr] #5636601 03/05/15 11:56 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
depends on altitude??? back in my younger days when I was heading to CO hunting, I started with walking, building up to jogging, to running 3 miles 3 times a week and a weekend 5-7 mile. This was to build up not only my stamina but my lung capacity for the higher altitude. The first few days I still huffed and puffed in the thin air. I also did low weight, high repetition weights 3 days a week. start slow, 3 sets of 10 building up to 3 sets of 20 with a little added weight but still relatively low pounds. I would usually start about 3 months prior to my trip.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Getting in shape for a elk hunt [Re: pcr] #5636612 03/06/15 12:02 AM
pcr Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
Great advice, thank you

Re: Getting in shape for a elk hunt [Re: pcr] #5636742 03/06/15 01:06 AM
T
Theringworm Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
T
Two things you can likely count on, 1) hiking a lot, and 2) carrying a backpack, hopefully full of elk quarters. That being said, you need to focus on several things.

1) As mentioned above, you need to increase your exercise capacity/stamina. You aren't running a race so start early and slow and work your way up. Going further and longer each day. I am in my mid to late 30s and prefer a mix b/w an exercise bike and waking on a treadmill at an incline.

2) Strengthen your core (shoulders, back, abs, & thighs). There are many exercises that you can do at home w/o weights to do so. Or if you have acces to weights that is great to. Some examples are "planks", lunges, squats/wall sits, calf raises, etc.

Backpacker magazine or backpacker.com has some great exercises and workouts that will get you in shape for sure. If you have trouble finding them pm me and I can email them to you.

3) last but not least is stretching. Even while on the hunt, stretch before you hike as well as after. It will save you from injuries. Good to start now before and after exercising. I will confess, I don't always practice what I preach bolt

Re: Getting in shape for a elk hunt [Re: pcr] #5636770 03/06/15 01:20 AM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
It just depends on what and how you are hunting. If your spiking out of the truck it's different then packing 5 miles back in the wilderness on foot.

I'm a big core guy. I cant run anymore do to my knees but I'll do 16 stories three times a week with 50 plus in my pack.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Getting in shape for a elk hunt [Re: Theringworm] #5636775 03/06/15 01:22 AM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Theringworm
Two things you can likely count on, 1) hiking a lot, and 2) carrying a backpack, hopefully full of elk quarters. That being said, you need to focus on several things.

1) As mentioned above, you need to increase your exercise capacity/stamina. You aren't running a race so start early and slow and work your way up. Going further and longer each day. I am in my mid to late 30s and prefer a mix b/w an exercise bike and waking on a treadmill at an incline.

2) Strengthen your core (shoulders, back, abs, & thighs). There are many exercises that you can do at home w/o weights to do so. Or if you have acces to weights that is great to. Some examples are "planks", lunges, squats/wall sits, calf raises, etc.

Backpacker magazine or backpacker.com has some great exercises and workouts that will get you in shape for sure. If you have trouble finding them pm me and I can email them to you.

3) last but not least is stretching. Even while on the hunt, stretch before you hike as well as after. It will save you from injuries. Good to start now before and after exercising. I will confess, I don't always practice what I preach bolt

^^^
But if you need "elder care", as I did- this is the guy you want with you. grin

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Getting in shape for a elk hunt [Re: BOBO the Clown] #5636784 03/06/15 01:24 AM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
It just depends on what and how you are hunting. If your spiking out of the truck it's different then packing 5 miles back in the wilderness on foot.

I'm a big core guy. I cant run anymore do to my knees but I'll do 16 stories three times a week with 50 plus in my pack.

Where in the heck do you find stairs to exercise on? There's 3 stories at my mom's assisted living, but they're gonna look at me funny walking in there with a pack on my back. Not to mention confusing the hell out of Mom.

I know where the Spurs run stairs, but they're not gonna let me in their facility.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Getting in shape for a elk hunt [Re: pcr] #5636803 03/06/15 01:30 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Lots of good advice already given.

If you have some bleachers near by, they are a huge help. Up to the top, cross over, down to the bottom, cross over, up to the top, repeat. Run the 1/4 mile arc of the track to the other side, do it again. Do that twice, add your pack later, progressively adding weight to the pack.

Another beat down of a workout that will cover a bunch of areas is "The Murph". SEAL Lt. Mike Murphy (R.I.P.) invented it, and you don't need any props or weoghts aside from a chinup bar.

Run a mile
100 chinups
200 pushups
300 body squats
Run a mile

Break up exercises in 5, 10, 15 respectively. Starting out you can cut all that in half called "The Smurph".

Stretch before and after, 1 1/2+ gallons of water each day.

Last edited by FiremanJG; 03/06/15 01:32 AM.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Getting in shape for a elk hunt [Re: J.G.] #5636810 03/06/15 01:34 AM
G
GLC Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
G
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

If you have some bleachers near by, they are a huge help. Up to the top, cross over, down to the bottom, cross over, up to the top, repeat. Run the 1/4 mile arc of the track to the other side, do it again. Do that twice, add your pack later, progressively adding weight to the pack.

Another beat down of a workout that will cover a bunch of areas is "The Murph". SEAL Lt. Mike Murphy (R.I.P.) invented it, and you don't need any props or weoghts aside from a chinup bar.

Run a mile

100 chinups
200 pushups
300 body squats
Run a mile

Break up exercises in 5, 10, 15 respectively. Starting out you can cut all that in half called "The Smurph".

Just reading that makes me tired and makes my hip hurt.

Re: Getting in shape for a elk hunt [Re: Creekrunner] #5636823 03/06/15 01:43 AM
T
Theringworm Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Creekrunner
Originally Posted By: Theringworm

^^^
But if you need "elder care", as I did- this is the guy you want with you. grin

Uhh.....pretty certain it was every man for themselves on that trip! At least that's what I thought. peep

Re: Getting in shape for a elk hunt [Re: GLC] #5636841 03/06/15 01:49 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: GLC
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

Run a mile

100 chinups
200 pushups
300 body squats
Run a mile

Just reading that makes me tired and makes my hip hurt.

My elk hunt was like my job when it gets bad. Legs and lungs. The pushups work the core, so will keeping your knees up during the pushups.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Getting in shape for a elk hunt [Re: pcr] #5636865 03/06/15 01:59 AM
pcr Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
Thank you to everyone who responded. Now I need a beer and help selling my hunt !!! 😰

Looks like I've got a lot of work to do !!

Re: Getting in shape for a elk hunt [Re: pcr] #5636952 03/06/15 02:42 AM
T
Tim9880 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
If you want to entertain everyone else, you can do the above workouts while wearing a high altitude training mask. They look awesome!

Re: Getting in shape for a elk hunt [Re: Creekrunner] #5636997 03/06/15 03:00 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R

Where in the heck do you find stairs to exercise on? There's 3 stories at my mom's assisted living, but they're gonna look at me funny walking in there with a pack on my back. Not to mention confusing the hell out of Mom.

I know where the Spurs run stairs, but they're not gonna let me in their facility.

Go to a small HS football stadium and run their bleachers, go up an aisle, down the next etc. all the way down the bleachers, run the track over to the other set of bleachers, do the same to them, then run back around the track to the starting side. Do that a few times and then keep the pack on your back and run a timed qtr to keep track of progress.

Re: Getting in shape for a elk hunt [Re: pcr] #5637005 03/06/15 03:03 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: pcr
Thank you to everyone who responded. Now I need a beer and help selling my hunt !!! 😰

Don't let some of the responses scare you. Some of those regimens would kill most folks. I am serious about my preparation and do what I can. But you don't have to be a triathlete to hunt elk. Do your best, be diligent about getting stronger each day, and go have fun.

Truth be told, will and heart is the most important thing.

Last edited by Nogalus Prairie; 03/06/15 03:05 AM.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Getting in shape for a elk hunt [Re: Creekrunner] #5637007 03/06/15 03:04 AM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

I know a guy...:)

For the record I walk it I don't run it.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Getting in shape for a elk hunt [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5637016 03/06/15 03:08 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Don't let some of the responses scare you. Some of those regimens would kill most folks. I am serious about my preparation and do what I can. But you don't have to be a triathlete to hunt elk. Do your best, be diligent about getting stronger each day, and go have fun.

This is true.. I know a cpl 70yo guys who had a hard time breathing up above 12K' kill elk. The key was to have a cpl guys in their 20s to do all the hard stuff. bang

Re: Getting in shape for a elk hunt [Re: pcr] #5637018 03/06/15 03:09 AM
P
passthru Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
When I was young I was always in good shape but I still did a lot of miles with extra weight on my back to prepare. Now I would be doing cardio five days a week and pushing it to the limit. You are behind the curve if you're just now preparing.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Getting in shape for a elk hunt [Re: pcr] #5637022 03/06/15 03:14 AM
T
Treinta-Treinta Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Do the stairmaster twice a day. 30 min or 120 floors, whichever comes first. Four days a week is fine. Nothing works better for whipping you into shape. After about two weeks alternate a 5lb dumbell between your hands. After about three weeks add a backpack uping the weight until your trip. Your V02 will be awesome and the altitude may not even phase you.

The Stair monster is what I call it.

Three things will happen by the time you go on your trip. You'll have to buy new pants, make new holes in your belt. your entire system will be stronger and more efficient.

Happy Hunting!

Last edited by Treinta-Treinta; 03/06/15 03:22 AM.
Re: Getting in shape for a elk hunt [Re: rifleman] #5637076 03/06/15 03:36 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: rifleman
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

This is true.. I know a cpl 70yo guys who had a hard time breathing up above 12K' kill elk. The key was to have a cpl guys in their 20s to do all the hard stuff. bang

Most of the older Garrison guys have never exercised for the sake of exercising a day in their life. But they seem to get their elk at about the same rate as the younger guys. They hunt smarter. They hunt slower. But they get where the elk are. And they do their share of the grunt work too. Not saying they run all over the mountains, but then again, their elk look pretty much like the rest of the guys. We do all pitch in when an elk is down-whoever kills it. It is work, pure and simple.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Getting in shape for a elk hunt [Re: pcr] #5637827 03/06/15 05:21 PM
Bbear Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Cardio is your friend. If you are really out of shape, and that doesn't just mean over weight, start with a treadmill or just walking in your neighborhood. Start with a 3 mph speed for 30 minutes then work yourself up. Add incline to the workouts to help build it up.
This late in the game, you're going to have to go 5-6 days a week with one day of rest in there somewhere. That can be the day you work on your back and chest and arm muscles. (those 70-100 lb packs full of meat are HEAVY!)

When you are on your hunt, hunt slow and steady. No need to have to have life-flight come get you off of a mountain somewhere.

[IMG][/IMG]

Pay it forward - Kids are the future.

Rifles are similar to boats and young women...there's no end to how much money you can pour into them without making them any more useful.
Re: Getting in shape for a elk hunt [Re: pcr] #5639120 03/07/15 12:27 PM
B
bobsumner Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
Stadium Stairs, Cardio, Cardio and a little bit more cardio. I also did not see core strength mentioned, very important for hiking in the mountains with weight. I would throw some swimming in there.

Re: Getting in shape for a elk hunt [Re: pcr] #5639938 03/07/15 09:59 PM
T
thewrap Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
I worked with a trainer last year, and it payed off for me. Did lots of cardio and leg workouts. Working towards endurance is a big part of it. I only really worked out for about 3 months prior to my hunt and did alright, but the earlier the better.

Jesse Reynolds
Professional Home Inspector TREC ID# 21526
www.integrityhomeinspectionservice.com
Re: Getting in shape for a elk hunt [Re: pcr] #5645718 03/11/15 02:12 AM
pcr Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
Thanks to everyone that has responded with advice, it is greatly appreciated !

Wish me luck with the preparation 😱 and the final outcome !!

Re: Getting in shape for a elk hunt [Re: pcr] #5646209 03/11/15 01:33 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Spent allot of time in the mountains and I'll share this advice. Get to you site several days early and let yourself get adjusted to the altitude. Go slow at all times and take plenty of breaks to just look, the biggest mulie I've ever taken 3 people walked right past him at 100 yards. Too many hunters blow a gasket before they ever really start hunting. You can exercise all you want to but if your not used to the altitude there's a good chance they'll be hauling you off the mountain.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide