476337 Topics
6248639 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#5636552 - 03/05/15 05:25 PM Getting in shape for a elk hunt
pcr Offline
Woodsman

I am going on a elk hunt in September in British columbia. I am not over wieght by much (15-20 lbs) does anyone have any recommendations on what to really focus on in order to have a great hunt and not be physically limited?

#5636601 - 03/05/15 05:56 PM Re: Getting in shape for a elk hunt [Re: pcr]
PMK Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Central TX (Gtown/Austin)
depends on altitude??? back in my younger days when I was heading to CO hunting, I started with walking, building up to jogging, to running 3 miles 3 times a week and a weekend 5-7 mile. This was to build up not only my stamina but my lung capacity for the higher altitude. The first few days I still huffed and puffed in the thin air. I also did low weight, high repetition weights 3 days a week. start slow, 3 sets of 10 building up to 3 sets of 20 with a little added weight but still relatively low pounds. I would usually start about 3 months prior to my trip.

~PMK~

#5636612 - 03/05/15 06:02 PM Re: Getting in shape for a elk hunt [Re: pcr]
pcr Offline
Woodsman

Great advice, thank you

#5636742 - 03/05/15 07:06 PM Re: Getting in shape for a elk hunt [Re: pcr]
Theringworm Offline
Bird Dog

Two things you can likely count on, 1) hiking a lot, and 2) carrying a backpack, hopefully full of elk quarters. That being said, you need to focus on several things.

1) As mentioned above, you need to increase your exercise capacity/stamina. You aren't running a race so start early and slow and work your way up. Going further and longer each day. I am in my mid to late 30s and prefer a mix b/w an exercise bike and waking on a treadmill at an incline.

2) Strengthen your core (shoulders, back, abs, & thighs). There are many exercises that you can do at home w/o weights to do so. Or if you have acces to weights that is great to. Some examples are "planks", lunges, squats/wall sits, calf raises, etc.

Backpacker magazine or backpacker.com has some great exercises and workouts that will get you in shape for sure. If you have trouble finding them pm me and I can email them to you.

3) last but not least is stretching. Even while on the hunt, stretch before you hike as well as after. It will save you from injuries. Good to start now before and after exercising. I will confess, I don't always practice what I preach bolt

#5636770 - 03/05/15 07:20 PM Re: Getting in shape for a elk hunt [Re: pcr]
BOBO the Clown Offline
decoy

Loc: Metroplex
It just depends on what and how you are hunting. If your spiking out of the truck it's different then packing 5 miles back in the wilderness on foot.

I'm a big core guy. I cant run anymore do to my knees but I'll do 16 stories three times a week with 50 plus in my pack.

#5636775 - 03/05/15 07:22 PM Re: Getting in shape for a elk hunt [Re: Theringworm]
Creekrunner Online   happy
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Bexar/Gillespie, hunt Terrell
Originally Posted By: Theringworm
Two things you can likely count on, 1) hiking a lot, and 2) carrying a backpack, hopefully full of elk quarters. That being said, you need to focus on several things.

1) As mentioned above, you need to increase your exercise capacity/stamina. You aren't running a race so start early and slow and work your way up. Going further and longer each day. I am in my mid to late 30s and prefer a mix b/w an exercise bike and waking on a treadmill at an incline.

2) Strengthen your core (shoulders, back, abs, & thighs). There are many exercises that you can do at home w/o weights to do so. Or if you have acces to weights that is great to. Some examples are "planks", lunges, squats/wall sits, calf raises, etc.

Backpacker magazine or backpacker.com has some great exercises and workouts that will get you in shape for sure. If you have trouble finding them pm me and I can email them to you.

3) last but not least is stretching. Even while on the hunt, stretch before you hike as well as after. It will save you from injuries. Good to start now before and after exercising. I will confess, I don't always practice what I preach bolt

^^^
But if you need "elder care", as I did- this is the guy you want with you. grin

#5636784 - 03/05/15 07:24 PM Re: Getting in shape for a elk hunt [Re: BOBO the Clown]
Creekrunner Online   happy
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Bexar/Gillespie, hunt Terrell
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
It just depends on what and how you are hunting. If your spiking out of the truck it's different then packing 5 miles back in the wilderness on foot.

I'm a big core guy. I cant run anymore do to my knees but I'll do 16 stories three times a week with 50 plus in my pack.

Where in the heck do you find stairs to exercise on? There's 3 stories at my mom's assisted living, but they're gonna look at me funny walking in there with a pack on my back. Not to mention confusing the hell out of Mom.

I know where the Spurs run stairs, but they're not gonna let me in their facility.

#5636803 - 03/05/15 07:30 PM Re: Getting in shape for a elk hunt [Re: pcr]
FiremanJG Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Wolfe City, TX
Lots of good advice already given.

If you have some bleachers near by, they are a huge help. Up to the top, cross over, down to the bottom, cross over, up to the top, repeat. Run the 1/4 mile arc of the track to the other side, do it again. Do that twice, add your pack later, progressively adding weight to the pack.

Another beat down of a workout that will cover a bunch of areas is "The Murph". SEAL Lt. Mike Murphy (R.I.P.) invented it, and you don't need any props or weoghts aside from a chinup bar.

Run a mile
100 chinups
200 pushups
300 body squats
Run a mile

Break up exercises in 5, 10, 15 respectively. Starting out you can cut all that in half called "The Smurph".

Stretch before and after, 1 1/2+ gallons of water each day.

Edited by FiremanJG (03/05/15 07:32 PM)

800 Yard Steel Rifle Range
Long Range Shooting Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available

#5636810 - 03/05/15 07:34 PM Re: Getting in shape for a elk hunt [Re: FiremanJG]
GLC Online   content

Loc: Burleson Texas
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

If you have some bleachers near by, they are a huge help. Up to the top, cross over, down to the bottom, cross over, up to the top, repeat. Run the 1/4 mile arc of the track to the other side, do it again. Do that twice, add your pack later, progressively adding weight to the pack.

Another beat down of a workout that will cover a bunch of areas is "The Murph". SEAL Lt. Mike Murphy (R.I.P.) invented it, and you don't need any props or weoghts aside from a chinup bar.

Run a mile

100 chinups
200 pushups
300 body squats
Run a mile

Break up exercises in 5, 10, 15 respectively. Starting out you can cut all that in half called "The Smurph".

Just reading that makes me tired and makes my hip hurt.

#5636823 - 03/05/15 07:43 PM Re: Getting in shape for a elk hunt [Re: Creekrunner]
Theringworm Offline
Bird Dog

Originally Posted By: Creekrunner
Originally Posted By: Theringworm

^^^
But if you need "elder care", as I did- this is the guy you want with you. grin

Uhh.....pretty certain it was every man for themselves on that trip! At least that's what I thought. peep

#5636841 - 03/05/15 07:49 PM Re: Getting in shape for a elk hunt [Re: GLC]
FiremanJG Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Wolfe City, TX
Originally Posted By: GLC
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

Run a mile

100 chinups
200 pushups
300 body squats
Run a mile

Just reading that makes me tired and makes my hip hurt.

My elk hunt was like my job when it gets bad. Legs and lungs. The pushups work the core, so will keeping your knees up during the pushups.

800 Yard Steel Rifle Range
Long Range Shooting Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available

#5636865 - 03/05/15 07:59 PM Re: Getting in shape for a elk hunt [Re: pcr]
pcr Offline
Woodsman

Thank you to everyone who responded. Now I need a beer and help selling my hunt !!! 😰

Looks like I've got a lot of work to do !!

#5636952 - 03/05/15 08:42 PM Re: Getting in shape for a elk hunt [Re: pcr]
Tim9880 Offline
Bird Dog

If you want to entertain everyone else, you can do the above workouts while wearing a high altitude training mask. They look awesome!

#5636997 - 03/05/15 09:00 PM Re: Getting in shape for a elk hunt [Re: Creekrunner]
rifleman Online   crying
Sparkly Pants

Loc: Kingwood
Originally Posted By: Creekrunner
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Where in the heck do you find stairs to exercise on? There's 3 stories at my mom's assisted living, but they're gonna look at me funny walking in there with a pack on my back. Not to mention confusing the hell out of Mom.

I know where the Spurs run stairs, but they're not gonna let me in their facility.

Go to a small HS football stadium and run their bleachers, go up an aisle, down the next etc. all the way down the bleachers, run the track over to the other set of bleachers, do the same to them, then run back around the track to the starting side. Do that a few times and then keep the pack on your back and run a timed qtr to keep track of progress.

#5637005 - 03/05/15 09:03 PM Re: Getting in shape for a elk hunt [Re: pcr]
Nogalus Prairie Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Corsicana
Originally Posted By: pcr
Thank you to everyone who responded. Now I need a beer and help selling my hunt !!! 😰

Looks like I've got a lot of work to do !!

Don't let some of the responses scare you. Some of those regimens would kill most folks. I am serious about my preparation and do what I can. But you don't have to be a triathlete to hunt elk. Do your best, be diligent about getting stronger each day, and go have fun.

Truth be told, will and heart is the most important thing.

Edited by Nogalus Prairie (03/05/15 09:05 PM)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide