Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Food Plot Language / Unbelievable #5620575 02/25/15 11:50 PM
Dirt Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
For the past few years I disc and plant a couple of acres for critters.
Deer, dove, turkey. For spring and summer it's lablab, milo, and iron clay cow peas.
I go to the same place in ATX, it's a general store that's been around a long time.
Never any problems getting planting materials. This year was different.
I asked for milo seed, not just milo or milo feed. Upon my request I was asked
for my satellite pictures of my pasture and my "plan" whatever that is.
I replied I had never been asked for this before and I just wanted some milo
for a food plot. The gentleman replied "oh yes we have milo feed, it's 8 bucks
for a 50lb sack, is that what you're looking for?" I replied, "does it sprout
and produce heads full of seed?" He replied "of course it does".
We settled on the feed and then he educated me. If you ask for seed, I have
to ask for your satellite photos and your plan, and that milo is 150 bucks
for a 50lb bag. Because it's all GMO now. But if you want milo feed, it's
8 bucks a 50lb bag, no questions asked.

Now we must use politically correct language just to grow a food plot.

Those who give up liberty for security deserve neither.
Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable [Re: Dirt] #5620686 02/26/15 12:44 AM
M
Marc K Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
M
It's a whole lot deeper and nefarious than political correctness..........

A Democracy is when two wolves and a lamb vote on the dinner menu. That is why this country was specifically not designed as a Democracy. We are a Constitutional Republic.
Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable [Re: Marc K] #5620751 02/26/15 01:10 AM
Dirt Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
Yes it is. Thanks for the reply.

Cheers

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable [Re: Dirt] #5620767 02/26/15 01:16 AM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
You can thank Monsanto for that. Plant a field of milo, corn, and it gets cross-pollinated with Monsanto 'roundup ready' from a neighbor or some other source, you better get a lawyer. Men in black suits will come to your farm and tell you they need to get DNA samples of your crops. It has happened to quite a few farmers and put them out of business...Coming to a field near you!

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable [Re: Erathkid] #5621642 02/26/15 03:57 PM
Dirt Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
I reckon I should start adding another 1/2 acre to the plot and recoupe some "feed"
for next years planting. But how to protect against weavils etc? Last year I planted
milo I had left over, a couple of bags I stored in my garage. None of it came up.
The feed store said if you don't plant it quick weavils will destroy all of it within
a few months. Some countries have banned GMO. It seems MON has a monopoly on it.

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable [Re: Dirt] #5626448 02/28/15 08:13 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I'll ask. What is GMO and MON?

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable [Re: passthru] #5626601 02/28/15 09:35 PM
A
AliceTx Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
A
Originally Posted By: passthru
g

Genetically modified organisms. Monsanto, the maker of GMOs

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable [Re: Dirt] #5627162 03/01/15 01:57 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
L-I-B !

Good to know! I'll be on the lookout for questions like that before I put in a winter plot. Thanks for sharing. up

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable [Re: Dirt] #5627337 03/01/15 03:03 AM
R
REALKILLER Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Hey. Go ahead and skip the light stuff. If it does seed light and blow onto someone else's property, they might raise a fuss. If you're in east texas this aint gonna matter because we don't have any crops anyways. What I really want to tell you is to just plant all the clay deer peas you can buy and make sure the soil is right. The deer will sleep, eat, and poop in it, and then grow some huge antlers. It grows during the prime antler growth period if planted properly. I killed a buck that spent all summer in it and it had forks coming off of forks, 14" G2's, and it was only 4.5.

Interesting to learn about GMO's and MON. Didn't know about that. THF is educational today. clap

Recently got a gym membership, strange folks! I like to show up the roid zombies with my full motion curls with the 55lb. bells. Not their cheater short stroked light weights. It's holarious.
Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable [Re: Dirt] #5627593 03/01/15 05:59 AM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
cheers good info flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable [Re: Dirt] #5630074 03/02/15 03:44 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
Originally Posted By: Dirt
I reckon I should start adding another 1/2 acre to the plot and recoupe some "feed"
for next years planting. But how to protect against weavils etc? Last year I planted
milo I had left over, a couple of bags I stored in my garage. None of it came up.
The feed store said if you don't plant it quick weavils will destroy all of it within
a few months. Some countries have banned GMO. It seems MON has a monopoly on it.
Its illegal to 'save' seed from one planting to the next using GMO from Monsanto. I'm sure you could get away with it if you don't talk about it on a public forum. It's patented and Monsanto has plenty of $ to prosecute. They've done it in the past. Now, saving bags that weren't used would be fine. Taking seed from your crop for next year-not fine, or I should say, could be BIG fine.

Last edited by Erathkid; 03/02/15 03:47 PM.

Don't text and drive.
Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable [Re: Dirt] #5630095 03/02/15 03:56 PM
R
REALKILLER Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
HOT DURN! shocked

Recently got a gym membership, strange folks! I like to show up the roid zombies with my full motion curls with the 55lb. bells. Not their cheater short stroked light weights. It's holarious.
Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable [Re: Erathkid] #5630109 03/02/15 04:03 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Erathkid
Originally Posted By: Dirt
Its illegal to 'save' seed from one planting to the next using GMO from Monsanto. I'm sure you could get away with it if you don't talk about it on a public forum. It's patented and Monsanto has plenty of $ to prosecute. They've done it in the past. Now, saving bags that weren't used would be fine. Taking seed from your crop for next year-not fine, or I should say, could be BIG fine.

No it's illegal to harvest and sale from kepted over "patented" seed, that was around along time before GMO. The GMO stuff is mainly corn and some milo.
No GMO wheat is FDA approved. Most patented seed gets watered down after each planting, thus bushell production will go down with each replanting.

Regardless milo is very low on the perfered preference for deer.
I'd stick to legumes or forge version of oats.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable [Re: passthru] #5630137 03/02/15 04:22 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: passthru

GMO is a modified seed that either produces a compound that's toxic to insects but not people or the plants cells are resistant to a certain weed killer(mainly round up)

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable [Re: Dirt] #5630238 03/02/15 05:16 PM
G
Gone to Texas Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
I hate Monsanto, they are ruining our food source and killing off bees. So many farms have been shut down because GMO crops accidentally end up in their fields by spreading from other farms. Monsanto sues them and takes everything, bunch of scum bags.

The fact that they have patients on plants is absolutely ridiculous.

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable [Re: Gone to Texas] #5630304 03/02/15 05:52 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Gone to Texas
I hate Monsanto, they are ruining our food source and killing off bees. So many farms have been shut down because GMO crops accidentally end up in their fields by spreading from other farms. Monsanto sues them and takes everything, bunch of scum bags.

Got links on those the suits? How does a crop accidently end up in a feild?

Most the guys I know have no issues with Monsanto, even the higher seed costs the increased yeild and lower operation costs make up for it.

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable [Re: BOBO the Clown] #5630504 03/02/15 07:44 PM
G
Gone to Texas Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Most the guys I know have no issues with Monsanto, even the higher seed costs the increased yeild and lower operation costs make up for it.

The crops end up in different farm fields from the seeds spreading, either by wind, animals, or any other way. Monsanto has sued 410 farmers either for having second generation seed (common farming practice) or illegal/unintentional use of Monsanto's seeds. Happened to my Uncles farm back in Maryland, they tried to take the whole farm over alfalfa grass.

I am as republican as it gets, but this Monsanto corporation can get the hell out as far as I'm concerned.

Link Here

Last edited by Gone to Texas; 03/02/15 07:45 PM.
Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable [Re: Gone to Texas] #5630548 03/02/15 08:17 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

The crops end up in different farm fields from the seeds spreading, either by wind, animals, or any other way. Monsanto has sued 410 farmers either for having second generation seed (common farming practice) or illegal/unintentional use of Monsanto's seeds. Happened to my Uncles farm back in Maryland, they tried to take the whole farm over alfalfa grass.

I am as republican as it gets, but this Monsanto corporation can get the hell out as far as I'm concerned.

Link Here

That article talkes about hold over seed, that was then replanted. Everyone of those farmers know that is illegal per the supreme court ruling and the agreement they did when the bought the initial seed. There are lots of seed companies out there. Play with fire you get burned. Also that article is highly pointed.... Think about wind blown seed for a minute....the traceable gene is in the plant, that would take a lot of seed/plants to make the parts per million traceable

But now I'm really interested in the Alfafla suit. Was he selling seed or hay?

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable [Re: Dirt] #5630583 03/02/15 08:39 PM
D
Dustnsand Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Ah yes. The unfounded rumors of the evil corporation.

It's not just Monsanto btw. Lets go ahead and get rid of GMOs and those evil companies.

First go find several hundred million or more people who want to die so we can feed and clothe everyone else.

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable [Re: BOBO the Clown] #5630639 03/02/15 09:20 PM
G
Gone to Texas Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G

Link Here

That article talkes about hold over seed, that was then replanted. Everyone of those farmers know that is illegal per the supreme court ruling and the agreement they did when the bought the initial seed. There are lots of seed companies out there. Play with fire you get burned. Also that article is highly pointed.... Think about wind blown seed for a minute....the traceable gene is in the plant, that would take a lot of seed/plants to make the parts per million traceable

But now I'm really interested in the Alfafla suit. Was he selling seed or hay?

Yes he was selling the hay. My Uncle, before he passed, owned and operated an all organic, grass fed cattle farm. 500 acre piece of land, raised cattle and grew alfalfa. Whatever left over alfalfa grass he had he would sell off. A neighboring farm who also grew alfalfa had a GMO type grass. One way or another the plants cross pollinated and Monsanto sued. They even had representative sneak onto his land saying they were looking for a rare species of bird. He found them taking pictures and stealing alfalfa. Within that month he was served papers claiming he infringed on the Monsanto's patient. He had to settle out of court and put up nets around his alfalfa crops to try and stop it from happening again.

Not all of the cases of Monsanto's suing are about seed holdover. There have been over 140 cases of cases involving cross pollination.

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable [Re: Dirt] #5630827 03/02/15 11:12 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
GTT, that's exactly what I was talking about. They're starting to see new strains of weeds that are immune to 'roundup'. Weeds are evolving and building up resistance. But yes, BOBO, it's true that farmers have been sued over cross-pollination even though they used NO Monsanto seed. Easy to check out on the internet.

Don't text and drive.
Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable [Re: Dirt] #5630836 03/02/15 11:17 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
interesting. I've never seen alafafa(grown for hay) go to seed... Once it does it stunts. Once it stunts no more cutting it that year.

If that's the case techically he could of sued them.

I have few acres of alfalfa

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable [Re: Erathkid] #5630862 03/02/15 11:31 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
GTT, that's exactly what I was talking about. They're starting to see new strains of weeds that are immune to 'roundup'. Weeds are evolving and building up resistance. But yes, BOBO, it's true that farmers have been sued over cross-pollination even though they used NO Monsanto seed. Easy to check out on the internet.

Then those farmers could sue them for destroying thier non-GMO crop. Infact many are begging for it to happen. Monsanto doesn't go after cross pollination for that reason, everyone of thier lawsuits are based off breech of contract. The contract you sign when you buy thier seed.

Out side of alfalfa(a perennial) its easily proven. If I have a second generation GMO seed which it would be via cross pollination , then the stalk it's self would be GMO gene free.

Internet is full of a lot of news stories that seldom revel the truth...

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable [Re: Dirt] #5630876 03/02/15 11:39 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
Find ONE other company that regularly sues it's customer base. Weird Shiite. Monsanto has produced more toxic chemicals than any other company, including PCBs and 'Agent orange' to name two. It has an extremely bad track record for environmental contamination as well. There's a reason for stereotypes and they are the stereotypical corporation that puts profits above human health concerns...That's why people, especially farmers, their client base, loathe them.

Don't text and drive.
Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable [Re: Erathkid] #5630889 03/02/15 11:47 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Find ONE other company that regularly sues it's customer base. Weird Shiite. Monsanto has produced more toxic chemicals than any other company, including PCBs and 'Agent orange' to name two. It has an extremely bad track record for environmental contamination as well. There's a reason for stereotypes and they are the stereotypical corporation that puts profits above human health concerns...That's why people, especially farmers, their client base, loathe them.

Lol..

I'd sue the hell out of you to if you breeched a contract that you signed.

Not all farmers hate them. Now you organic growers that are trying to chase a high end market do... But no most farmers don't hate them.

Again the cross pollination thing is a joke on non perennial crops.

Avg of 13 breech of contract suits a year vs 2 million farmers isn't even a percentage point.

On top of that Monsanto doesnt own the seed market... They own may be a third with there next biggest competitors as big or bigger then them.

Last edited by BOBO the Clown; 03/03/15 12:03 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide