Forums46
Topics538,006
Posts9,731,710
Members87,055
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Do we still go without toys and tech, or can we ? [Re: REALKILLER] #5632280 03/03/15 07:33 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
I think that most hunters would agree the "line" is crossed where the technology is either doing the actual hunting (vs. scouting) or shooting (pulling the trigger, doing the aiming, guiding the bullet).

We might disagree about whether this or that technology is actually doing that-but I'll bet most would agree on that concept.

It's not a new concept. In Alaska and much of Canada, you cannot fly on the same day you hunt. The obvious purpose of that prohibition is to keep guys from hunting out of aircraft. As far as I know, most folks don't take issue with it.

If the day comes where guys can kill an animal from their office chair and folks are OK with that, that will be a sad day IMO. Today's technology makes it possible.

Last edited by Nogalus Prairie; 03/03/15 07:36 PM.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Do we still go without toys and tech, or can we ? [Re: REALKILLER] #5632324 03/03/15 07:56 PM
R
REALKILLER Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
R
I've got a hog hunt planned later in the week. We are calling it OPERATION SCATTER GUN. Hope to post some pics on hog count. We are going to change it and use some 00 000 0000. Ya the air plane would be nice to get that birds eye view. Its so ruff up there you would probably be better off flying over some of that country. That is the last frontier. A man could get lost and never found up there.

Recently got a gym membership, strange folks! I like to show up the roid zombies with my full motion curls with the 55lb. bells. Not their cheater short stroked light weights. It's holarious.
Re: Do we still go without toys and tech, or can we ? [Re: REALKILLER] #5632423 03/03/15 08:48 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Hogs don't count. Kill 'em all any way you can. smile

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Do we still go without toys and tech, or can we ? [Re: Payne] #5632505 03/03/15 09:41 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Originally Posted By: Payne
Don't mock my hunting attire Sir, I make finger paintings...

roflmao

Re: Do we still go without toys and tech, or can we ? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5632535 03/03/15 10:08 PM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
Hogs don't count. Kill 'em all any way you can. smile

That's dang right! Wish I knew someone with a helicopter, and several hundred gallons of free fuel.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Do we still go without toys and tech, or can we ? [Re: REALKILLER] #5632949 03/04/15 01:33 AM
boonee Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Yep, I went to the Fiberglass 4x6 stand, only walking 1/2 mile from the truck. Carrying a backpack full of gear, my 10mm Glock, my 300 Blackout SBR, DFA NV on my scope, and my can on it. ONLY to watch red birds, squirrels, and a couple does. No pigs seen, until I'm on the way back to I45 on a county road, and had to stop to let them cross at least 15-20 mid-sized pigs. Next trip... no pack, .45 lever gun,and .45 Blackhawk, starting at the back of the property in the river bottoms, here piggie,piggie. What do the kids call it now? OLD SCHOOL!

Avenger Firearms 214-577-5818
avengerfirearms@gmail.com

Lifetime NRA member
Re: Do we still go without toys and tech, or can we ? [Re: boonee] #5633275 03/04/15 04:32 AM
M
Mickey Moose Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted By: boonee
No pigs seen, until I'm on the way back...

That's the way baseball go.

My botnet is bigger than yours.
Re: Do we still go without toys and tech, or can we ? [Re: REALKILLER] #5633309 03/04/15 05:14 AM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: REALKILLER
It is not about how you or the next guy hunts. I really don't care about what or how they do it. I was trying to make an example of how I like to hunt and is it a thing of the past. I was not trying to make a joke out of it with a fun quotient, just trying not to make it not seem so serious that people took it the wrong way. Apparently I have answered my question, because when people reply with jokes and not a simple answer, they have answered my question and they did not even realize it, because it seems like they don't even care about the subject. Maybe this is over yall's head and if you can't respond with a mature answer than skip it. You are making a perfect example of what I'm talking about and to you it is all a joke. I feel sorry for the future of hunting, I honestly do.

Really? So you begin with an opening post denigrating how others choose to hunt (below), and then state this above, "but it's not how you or the next guy hunts"....

And then you get wound up at OTHERS for joking? Quitit! You made the biggest joke of all.

"I often wonder if we are raising a nation of shallow and unskilled hunters. With all the technology and hunting toys now days it just doesn't seem the same to me, compared to the days of just walking out in the woods with weapon in hand and hunting. To be one with the woods and wildlife is a special thing, and I would hate to see it all change because of the modern ways of man."

Last edited by therancher; 03/04/15 05:16 AM.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Do we still go without toys and tech, or can we ? [Re: therancher] #5633559 03/04/15 02:15 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: therancher
It is not about how you or the next guy hunts. I really don't care about what or how they do it. I was trying to make an example of how I like to hunt and is it a thing of the past. I was not trying to make a joke out of it with a fun quotient, just trying not to make it not seem so serious that people took it the wrong way. Apparently I have answered my question, because when people reply with jokes and not a simple answer, they have answered my question and they did not even realize it, because it seems like they don't even care about the subject. Maybe this is over yall's head and if you can't respond with a mature answer than skip it. You are making a perfect example of what I'm talking about and to you it is all a joke. I feel sorry for the future of hunting, I honestly do.

Really? So you begin with an opening post denigrating how others choose to hunt (below), and then state this above, "but it's not how you or the next guy hunts"....

And then you get wound up at OTHERS for joking? Quitit! You made the biggest joke of all.

"I often wonder if we are raising a nation of shallow and unskilled hunters. With all the technology and hunting toys now days it just doesn't seem the same to me, compared to the days of just walking out in the woods with weapon in hand and hunting. To be one with the woods and wildlife is a special thing, and I would hate to see it all change because of the modern ways of man."

I have an honest question for you. I won't bash your answer. I would just like to know:

If, in the future, guys hunt by remote control (sitting at their desk with a camera equipped computerized rifle at another location), would you be fine with that?

Re: Do we still go without toys and tech, or can we ? [Re: REALKILLER] #5633588 03/04/15 02:28 PM
S
SniperRAB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
roflmao rofl bang

Re: Do we still go without toys and tech, or can we ? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5633690 03/04/15 03:31 PM
D
Dustnsand Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D

I have an honest question for you. I won't bash your answer. I would just like to know:

If, in the future, guys hunt by remote control (sitting at their desk with a camera equipped computerized rifle at another location), would you be fine with that?

That's not the future. It's already happened

Re: Do we still go without toys and tech, or can we ? [Re: REALKILLER] #5633710 03/04/15 03:43 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Yeah I know.

Re: Do we still go without toys and tech, or can we ? [Re: REALKILLER] #5633716 03/04/15 03:48 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
I'm 100% onboard with using that method in the Middle East in lieu of surveillance ....put some c4 on the equipment as a self destruct mechanism in the event someone unauthorized moves it.

Re: Do we still go without toys and tech, or can we ? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5633725 03/04/15 03:54 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T

Not a problem NP.

As Dustin said, this is already a possibility (as I'm sure you already know). It was outlawed by an over reaching TPWD. Would it be a method I would ever use, I'd like to hope not. But, we never know what the future holds. There are events that can occur in life that may change what you are capable of.

There are many limited now by physical injury and disease who can't expose themselves to the elements like they could have in their past. Do I want to be so judgemental that I would support outlawing something that would allow them a way of hunting, because I don't think some healthy person should be able to do it? Nah. I'll leave that level of intrusion to the RK's and NP's of the world.

I have a friend (Pete Odlund) who invented the "Liberator". It's a sip and puff robotic unit that folks with severe injury and cerebral palsy etc. can aim and shoot rifles with. Many injured warrior former hunters have been able to snipe deer again due to Pete's invention. I'd never presume to be so protective of "my way of hunting" that I'd ever want to limit those great folks. I'm all for tools that help quadraplegics hunt.

BTW, I personally think the remote computer hunting app that was outlawed, is actually a step or two above walking into a grocery to buy pre-packaged meat. Guess old Howard Butt and Sam Walton are pretty happy our ancestors didn't outlaw that "form of hunting".

So, yes, I'd be fine with that.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Do we still go without toys and tech, or can we ? [Re: rifleman] #5633730 03/04/15 03:58 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: rifleman
I'm 100% onboard with using that method in the Middle East in lieu of surveillance ....put some c4 on the equipment as a self destruct mechanism in the event someone unauthorized moves it.

Trust me, NP's president is a BIG fan of that technology. It's called drones.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Do we still go without toys and tech, or can we ? [Re: therancher] #5633734 03/04/15 04:00 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N

You're a nice man. Never make assumptions. Never get personal.

Re: Do we still go without toys and tech, or can we ? [Re: therancher] #5633739 03/04/15 04:02 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N

Not a problem NP.

As Dustin said, this is already a possibility (as I'm sure you already know). It was outlawed by an over reaching TPWD. Would it be a method I would ever use, I'd like to hope not. But, we never know what the future holds. There are events that can occur in life that may change what you are capable of.

There are many limited now by physical injury and disease who can't expose themselves to the elements like they could have in their past. Do I want to be so judgemental that I would support outlawing something that would allow them a way of hunting, because I don't think some healthy person should be able to do it? Nah. I'll leave that level of intrusion to the RK's and NP's of the world.

I have a friend (Pete Odlund) who invented the "Liberator". It's a sip and puff robotic unit that folks with severe injury and cerebral palsy etc. can aim and shoot rifles with. Many injured warrior former hunters have been able to snipe deer again due to Pete's invention. I'd never presume to be so protective of "my way of hunting" that I'd ever want to limit those great folks. I'm all for tools that help quadraplegics hunt.

BTW, I personally think the remote computer hunting app that was outlawed, is actually a step or two above walking into a grocery to buy pre-packaged meat. Guess old Howard Butt and Sam Walton are pretty happy our ancestors didn't outlaw that "form of hunting".

So, yes, I'd be fine with that.

Ok then. Just trying to see if you had a line. Anywhere. Apparently not.

BTW, my question was not about handicapped hunters or war. But, whatever.

Re: Do we still go without toys and tech, or can we ? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5633740 03/04/15 04:03 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T

You're a nice man. Never make assumptions. Never get personal.

And IMO you need to not take things personally. That was a friendly jab. Just funnin.

Last edited by therancher; 03/04/15 04:04 PM.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Do we still go without toys and tech, or can we ? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5633754 03/04/15 04:09 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
No sir. The line you want to draw would impact those hunters. I'm assuming correctly that you supported the outlawing of the remote hunting app. While I'm sure you only WANTED your question to cover healthy people, it doesn't.

You can't have it both ways. Laws are like that.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Do we still go without toys and tech, or can we ? [Re: REALKILLER] #5633762 03/04/15 04:17 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Well, xbows used to be able to be used by folks with disabilities, so there's not exactly a history of drawing a line in the sand....

Re: Do we still go without toys and tech, or can we ? [Re: therancher] #5633797 03/04/15 04:43 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
No sir. The line you want to draw would impact those hunters. I'm assuming correctly that you supported the outlawing of the remote hunting app. While I'm sure you only WANTED your question to cover healthy people, it doesn't.

Lordy mercy please quit telling me what I was thinking. My question was clear:remote hunting using a computer from the office. NOT handicapped people in the field. It wasn't hard.

Re: Do we still go without toys and tech, or can we ? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5633850 03/04/15 05:11 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T

Lordy mercy please quit telling me what I was thinking. My question was clear:remote hunting using a computer from the office. NOT handicapped people in the field. It wasn't hard.

You are the one on a campaign to have laws passed to "protect your way of hunting". Don't ask me a "gotcha" question and then try to limit me to only your version of the details. Or a simple yes or no when the details are so imnportant.

The details are the details, you and I don't get to define OR limit them. BTW, I didn't limit your details, I just pointed out some obvious ones that you find painful. It's my duty as your friend. smile

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Do we still go without toys and tech, or can we ? [Re: REALKILLER] #5634066 03/04/15 07:23 PM
W
wisco-hunter Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
W
Nog and rancher at it again!!! I think this just happened a few weeks back and ended in a locked thread, this should be entertaining, I will be following now...ding ding slinger

Why is it that every time I push #1 for english, I cannot understand the person on the other end???
Re: Do we still go without toys and tech, or can we ? [Re: REALKILLER] #5634087 03/04/15 07:37 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Nah, not today.....

Re: Do we still go without toys and tech, or can we ? [Re: Mickey Moose] #5634128 03/04/15 08:01 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: Mickey Moose
Originally Posted By: boonee
No pigs seen, until I'm on the way back...

That's the way baseball go.

Yeah and he couldn't win the big series either so I guess that is how baseball go. trout

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide