475697 Topics
6240184 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#5624310 - 02/27/15 02:57 PM Why certain shops push certain scopes
Treinta-Treinta Offline
Woodsman

I like my old standard proven name brand scopes, I know they don't have much markup. I know many others have a lower wholesale and room for more profit potential. Yes,I do know the wholesale on said items.

There is a cult following for some of these others just because a "shop" says they are terrific.

Its a little off-putting when the cult or cult leaders have something negative to say about the many times more expensive but proven brands, I hold my tongue because I don't like to insult a person's budget or choice of scope, and all eyes are a little different. I just smile and move on.

One thing that does seem to be very common is how these "lesser" brands are always compared by some reference to "long time proven" or more "expensive" brands. Usually this takes place with the gunshop groupies who hardly work for a living and want to give you advice not knowing anything about your background or expertise. The same folk who would rather spend money on guns than teeth.

Just my take.

Edited by Treinta-Treinta (02/27/15 03:10 PM)

I like girls, who like accordions

#5624378 - 02/27/15 03:41 PM Re: Why certain shops push certain scopes [Re: Treinta-Treinta]
Tff caribou Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Watauga, TX
Which brands do you consider to be lesser brands? It's hard to follow what you are saying without using the brand names. By lesser do you mean brands like Simmons and tasco? Or slightly better like Nikon and redfield? Or are you referring to brands that aren't as well known?

#5624657 - 02/27/15 05:29 PM Re: Why certain shops push certain scopes [Re: Treinta-Treinta]
Brother in-law Offline
THF Celebrity

Originally Posted By: Treinta-Treinta
I like my old standard proven name brand scopes, I know they don't have much markup. I know many others have a lower wholesale and room for more profit potential. Yes,I do know the wholesale on said items.

There is a cult following for some of these others just because a "shop" says they are terrific.

Its a little off-putting when the cult or cult leaders have something negative to say about the many times more expensive but proven brands, I hold my tongue because I don't like to insult a person's budget or choice of scope, and all eyes are a little different. I just smile and move on.

One thing that does seem to be very common is how these "lesser" brands are always compared by some reference to "long time proven" or more "expensive" brands. Usually this takes place with the gunshop groupies who hardly work for a living and want to give you advice not knowing anything about your background or expertise. The same folk who would rather spend money on guns than teeth.

Just my take.

Like Super Sniper or Vortex? popcorn

#5624661 - 02/27/15 05:30 PM Re: Why certain shops push certain scopes [Re: Treinta-Treinta]
Brother in-law Offline
THF Celebrity

Maybe ATN or Sightmark?

#5624748 - 02/27/15 06:05 PM Re: Why certain shops push certain scopes [Re: Treinta-Treinta]
Anton Chigurh Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: Stephenville
If I had to guess, I'd say the "lesser" brand is Vortex, and the old standard is Leupold.

#5624766 - 02/27/15 06:09 PM Re: Why certain shops push certain scopes [Re: Treinta-Treinta]
RiverRider Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Wise Co.
Only thing that bothers me about the OP is the "rather spend money on guns than teeth" statement. Of COURSE I'd rather spend money on guns than teeth. What's wrong with that?
stir

Originally Posted By: Cleric
God I am hating caliber threads more and more

#5624768 - 02/27/15 06:10 PM Re: Why certain shops push certain scopes [Re: RiverRider]
Tff caribou Offline
Veteran Tracker

Originally Posted By: RiverRider
Only thing that bothers me about the OP is the "rather spend money on guns than teeth" statement. Of COURSE I'd rather spend money on guns than teeth. What's wrong with that?
stir

Can't say I disagree.

#5624772 - 02/27/15 06:13 PM Re: Why certain shops push certain scopes [Re: Anton Chigurh]
Tff caribou Offline
Veteran Tracker

Originally Posted By: Anton Chigurh
If I had to guess, I'd say the "lesser" brand is Vortex, and the old standard is Leupold.

That was kind of my assumption too. But I didn't want to spell it out. I was hoping he would elaborate.

#5624894 - 02/27/15 07:02 PM Re: Why certain shops push certain scopes [Re: Treinta-Treinta]
Cleric Offline
Veteran Tracker

So SS is SWFA house brand. The own the intellectual property on them and are the only sellers in the US. based on their sale prices they are making a HUGE market up on the scopes. Their scopes have been very highly rated/reviewed by a number of people.

Vortex is a relatively new brand as opposed to leupold. They have gotten a lot of good press over the past few years. Leupold did not respond to customers fast enough. For a while time that had Mil Reticles with MOA turrets or limited reticle choices. Once the got more mil/mil and moa/moa they have been making very competitive scopes. However some of their price points leave something to be desired to some. For example a mark 6 3-18 is 2k, with illumination its 4k. A vortex 3-18 is 2200 with illumination.

I see the optics discussion looking more at price to value. The law of diminishing returns says that extra features on the top end are going to cost a lot more. Vortex is filling a great Price to value position.

#5624926 - 02/27/15 07:12 PM Re: Why certain shops push certain scopes [Re: Treinta-Treinta]
RiverRider Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Wise Co.
I've seen shops come up with ways to try and sell you a certain brand. An example was a shop up in Idaho, which I liked very much...but they pushed Bausch & Laumb scopes to the hilt with a "demonstration" that would convince you it was the finest scope ever built in the entire solar system. I am convinced that was because the profit margin was substantial.

I DID try a B&L Elite 3000. I thought it was a piece of crap.

God I am hating caliber threads more and more

#5624952 - 02/27/15 07:24 PM Re: Why certain shops push certain scopes [Re: Treinta-Treinta]
MDMORROW Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: McKinney & Pottsboro, TX
What's your point bud?

#5625004 - 02/27/15 07:48 PM Re: Why certain shops push certain scopes [Re: Cleric]
FiremanJG Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Wolfe City, TX
So SS is SWFA house brand. The own the intellectual property on them and are the only sellers in the US. based on their sale prices they are making a HUGE market up on the scopes. Their scopes have been very highly rated/reviewed by a number of people.

Vortex is a relatively new brand as opposed to leupold. They have gotten a lot of good press over the past few years. Leupold did not respond to customers fast enough. For a while time that had Mil Reticles with MOA turrets or limited reticle choices. Once the got more mil/mil and moa/moa they have been making very competitive scopes. However some of their price points leave something to be desired to some. For example a mark 6 3-18 is 2k, with illumination its 4k. A vortex 3-18 is 2200 with illumination.

I see the optics discussion looking more at price to value. The law of diminishing returns says that extra features on the top end are going to cost a lot more. Vortex is filling a great Price to value position.

^^That's right^^

800 Yard Steel Rifle Range
Long Range Shooting Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available

#5625008 - 02/27/15 07:50 PM Re: Why certain shops push certain scopes [Re: Treinta-Treinta]
Treinta-Treinta Offline
Woodsman

My secondary point is, a man shouldn't belittle or begrudge another man's choice of scope because of financial gain or any other reason. My main point,if someone doesn't ask for scope advice, don't give it.

No, I'm not going to put a name to the "brand".

Sorry if I offended any folks without teeth. I'd probably offend some folk without a high school education that know more about Second Amendment rights than a Law professor too. smile

I like girls, who like accordions

#5625018 - 02/27/15 07:54 PM Re: Why certain shops push certain scopes [Re: Treinta-Treinta]
Wilhunt Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: New Braunfels, San Saba county
I own a Tasco, Nikon an Leupold scopes. Mine all enable me to shoot well. The Tasco is just as accurate as the other two. The tasco may not last as long but it has done well for about 18 years. I am sure there are other good ones as well. Once owned a cheap BSA and it did fit the category of you get what you paid for...which was not much in that case.

#5625081 - 02/27/15 08:11 PM Re: Why certain shops push certain scopes [Re: Wilhunt]
Tff caribou Offline
Veteran Tracker

Originally Posted By: wilhunt
I own a Tasco, Nikon an Leupold scopes. Mine all enable me to shoot well. The Tasco is just as accurate as the other two. The tasco may not last as long but it has done well for about 18 years. I am sure there are other good ones as well. Once owned a cheap BSA and it did fit the category of you get what you paid for...which was not much in that case.

I've got a tasco world class 3-9 that is atleast 30 years old. Still a good scope that's on a backup hunting rifle.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide