Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics536,994
Posts9,719,255
Members86,987
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
tac vest/chest rig/battle belt etc for night hunting? #5620723 02/26/15 01:01 AM
C
ccreyeder Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
C
SO, the story goes.. "back in the day, when I used to be a day hunter... lol..

used to be, all I would take with me was my rifle, and maybe some binoculars. Now that I am doing more night hunting, sometimes 2-3x/week.. I'm finding myself taking or needing? more "stuff"

Rifle, extra mag, flashlight, thermal monocular, extra batteries, more batteries, laser pointer to point out to my co-hunters what direction I am looking, video cam, shooting sticks, chewing tobacco, cell phone, 6 pack of beer ( I jest lol), cords, allen wrenches, hearing protection, pistol.... you get the picture....

Currently, my "rig" is old BDU pants, and a old hiking vest that I dug out of the closet. It works, but my pockets are bulging and I clink and clank when I walk...

I was considering getting something that I could organize better. I originally thought of a tac vest, but thinking that might be too hot in the summer nights. Thought about a chest rig, but I need more pouches than mag holders. Recently, been considering getting a "battle belt" that I can put my own combination of pouches and maybe something for an extra mag...

Any of you night hunters use anything like this and, if so, any suggestions?

Heck, I might just stick with the hiking vest since I have been bitten by the thermal bug and am talking myself into a major upgrade (think $$ lol) in my thermal gear..

Thanks in advance for the suggestions!

Re: tac vest/chest rig/battle belt etc for night hunting? [Re: ccreyeder] #5620753 02/26/15 01:11 AM
H
hdfireman Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
I use a battle belt from US Grunt Gear. Made in the USA and quality is outstanding. They have many pouches to choose from that will fit your needs. The reason I like the belt is because it's easy to take off and put on. I can be in and out of the truck a lot so it's nice. If you leave the rear open it will allow you to drive with it. On mine I carry 2 rifle mags, pistol mag, flashlight, pistol, knife and a medical pouch

[Linked Image]
07 FFL
eric@blackstonearms.com
214-945-5520
The 6.8 is the #1 choice for hunting deer and hogs in an AR15
Re: tac vest/chest rig/battle belt etc for night hunting? [Re: ccreyeder] #5621261 02/26/15 05:18 AM
Ramsey Offline
Pepe' Le Pew
Pepe' Le Pew
I hunt at night and cant imagine why you need so much gear. I take an ar 10 w thermal, extra batteries, monopole, headlight. In my backpack which I leave in truck, extra ammo, led spotlight, water and sanDwich. I do take a small mouth yote call.

Big Beckett!!
Re: tac vest/chest rig/battle belt etc for night hunting? [Re: ccreyeder] #5621341 02/26/15 12:13 PM
billybob Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
I use one. I pack a first aid kit, extra mag, elbow length rubber gloves,knife,leatherman,flashlight,TP, ear plugs, cell phone. I removed the pistol holster as I wear that on my leather belt. The bag contains a foxpro.

Re: tac vest/chest rig/battle belt etc for night hunting? [Re: ccreyeder] #5621410 02/26/15 01:25 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Since it is for night hunting, I like to wear darker colors. I have a dark brown bird vest from Orvis. Many such variants can be found from numerous manufacturers. I got mine way oversized so that it is not just bigger (and so has a bigger pocket in the back for your "dead birds") but also fits over my coveralls in the winter. It has a couple of cargo pockets, hand pockets, and then a couple shell holders as well.

The shell holders carry a pair of ear plugs, spare batteries, and sometimes a couple extra rounds of ammo.

The cargo pockets contain a lighter (for stand heater), two flashlights, headlamp, gloves, grunt tube, wounded rabbit call, cell phone, and whatever else little items. The bird pocket in the back contains anything I need to carry or pack in, even to the point of carrying my coveralls on warm evenings when I don't want to get all sweaty going into the stand. My common loading in winter, however, will be a couple of hand towels, can of propane, bottle of water or soda, camera, measuring tape, and shooting sticks. If I am doing predator calling, it also includes my FoxPro.

Basically, I use the vest like a backpack. The nice thing is that I can take it off or put it on fairly easily and there are no straps or dangles like you have with backpacks.

I wear my monocular on a strap around my neck and carry my rifle by hand (no sling).

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: tac vest/chest rig/battle belt etc for night hunting? [Re: ccreyeder] #5621417 02/26/15 01:34 PM
B
Brother in-law Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Look up 5.11 vest. Several with Molle options.

Re: tac vest/chest rig/battle belt etc for night hunting? [Re: Brother in-law] #5621584 02/26/15 03:27 PM
C
clandr1 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Check out the Maxpedition site. Specifically check out the Gearslinger and Versipack variants. I used to have a Jumbo Versipack, but sold it and bought a Sitka Gearslinger instead. It gives you quick access to stuff since you can slide it around from your back to your front without taking it off. If you get a smaller model, it should be perfect for the amount of stuff you carry. Don't get anything too big, or you'll be tempted to load it up with all sorts of sh*t which will make it too heavy for a single strap pack.

Re: tac vest/chest rig/battle belt etc for night hunting? [Re: Ramsey] #5622496 02/26/15 10:58 PM
Txkiller Offline
the terminator
the terminator
Originally Posted By: Ramsey
I hunt at night and cant imagine why you need so much gear. I take an ar 10 w thermal, extra batteries, monopole, headlight. In my backpack which I leave in truck, extra ammo, led spotlight, water and sanDwich. I do take a small mouth yote call.

X2

Re: tac vest/chest rig/battle belt etc for night hunting? [Re: ccreyeder] #5622556 02/26/15 11:39 PM
dogdown23 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
What are you hunting 2 to 3 nights a week?

Dogdown

The only thing that'll stop a bad man with a gun, is a good man with a gun.
Re: tac vest/chest rig/battle belt etc for night hunting? [Re: Txkiller] #5622603 02/27/15 12:03 AM
skinnerback Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted By: Txkiller

X2

X3 I have everything that I need and then some in my truck, that stuff lives there. If I am not in my truck I take a pack with me, that stays in the truck. When I am hunting I take only what I need, nothing more. I keep extra ammo in the truck/or in my pack in the truck. I run Energizer Lithium batteries in my night vision gear that will last all night, so now I don't carry extra batteries in the field. I have never needed to carry extra mags with me in the field. I like being as light as possible, quiet, & quick like a ninja .

Last edited by skinnerback; 02/27/15 12:41 AM.
Re: tac vest/chest rig/battle belt etc for night hunting? [Re: ccreyeder] #5623194 02/27/15 05:56 AM
Theblakester Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
I use a bird belt. Pouches on each side and a bigger one in the back. That plus my pants pockets give me enough extra carrying compartments.

Fast paced gregarious society forgets the healing power of solitude. It's worked thousands of years. Casting a line/gazing into a campfire/sitting in a blind after a long week is medicine for the soul. The serenity and peacefulness of it all is majestic.
Re: tac vest/chest rig/battle belt etc for night hunting? [Re: Ramsey] #5623539 02/27/15 02:36 PM
H
hdfireman Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H

I carry what I do because I hunt for farmers to eradicate hogs. It is not uncommon to be 40-60 yards from a sounder of 20 or more pigs. I carry 15 rd mags because I don't like how long the 25's are, that means I could need another mag. Medical pouch is because I hunt mostly alone and if I get charged I won't be the one to bleed out in a field somewhere. If I was out killing 1 or 2 pigs at a time I would not carry as much as I do.

"By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail."
— Benjamin Fanklin

[Linked Image]
07 FFL
eric@blackstonearms.com
214-945-5520
Re: tac vest/chest rig/battle belt etc for night hunting? [Re: ccreyeder] #5623890 02/27/15 05:11 PM
C
clandr1 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
A lot of y'all are assuming he can easily get back to his truck. I know some guys who will park at the edge of a 1,000 acre property and walk in to hunt and primitive camp all weekend. Not everyone is 200 yards from their truck the whole time.

Re: tac vest/chest rig/battle belt etc for night hunting? [Re: hdfireman] #5623899 02/27/15 05:20 PM
Ramsey Offline
Pepe' Le Pew
Pepe' Le Pew
Originally Posted By: hdfireman

I carry what I do because I hunt for farmers to eradicate hogs. It is not uncommon to be 40-60 yards from a sounder of 20 or more pigs. I carry 15 rd mags because I don't like how long the 25's are, that means I could need another mag. Medical pouch is because I hunt mostly alone and if I get charged I won't be the one to bleed out in a field somewhere. If I was out killing 1 or 2 pigs at a time I would not carry as much as I do.

— Benjamin Fanklin

That is all I hunt is the corn, milo and wheat fields. I carry a 20 round magazine with 18 rounds in it and have never spent more than 10 rounds personally. I carry all the extra gear in the truck which can be anywhere from 300 yards to a mile away. I just carry the basics and wear light colored camo, and shoes to fit the situation from rubber boots, insulated Hunting Boots or tennis shoes (soft fields). My goal is to be quiet, stealthy and quick if the situation calls. There is no single answer here, just differn't prospectives.

Big Beckett!!
Re: tac vest/chest rig/battle belt etc for night hunting? [Re: ccreyeder] #5623945 02/27/15 05:47 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Boy Scout Motto is "Be prepared". I always carry too much gear but to have and not need is more often better than to need and not have.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: tac vest/chest rig/battle belt etc for night hunting? [Re: ccreyeder] #5623984 02/27/15 06:07 PM
B
blackcoal Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Heavy duty canvas fly fishing vest. Took it to gun show back in the 1980's and could have sold 50 of them. Amazed how it allowed me to buy things and carry them. Grips, bullets, scopes, holsters, pistols and keep things separated. Later started using it for hunting.

The Greatest Enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge.--Stephen Hawking
Re: tac vest/chest rig/battle belt etc for night hunting? [Re: passthru] #5624072 02/27/15 07:06 PM
Ramsey Offline
Pepe' Le Pew
Pepe' Le Pew
Question is not what ti bring, but rather what to carry while stalking pigs at night. 99.9% of the time you wont need more than I listed.

Big Beckett!!
Re: tac vest/chest rig/battle belt etc for night hunting? [Re: hdfireman] #5624265 02/27/15 08:40 PM
skinnerback Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted By: hdfireman

— Benjamin Fanklin

up I hear what you're saying. I hunt pigs for farmers too on a whooole lot of acreage so I understand where you're coming from. It's easy to get away from the truck. I carry one 30 rd mag to the field and a sidearm and after all these years and lord knows how many sounders I have yet to burn a 30 rd mag (29 actually) on a stalk. I'm not judging you cheers To each their own. Not a bad idea carrying an extra mag if you are using shorter cap mags. I have a trauma kit, first aid kit, all sorts of things with me but just don't carry them in the field.

Re: tac vest/chest rig/battle belt etc for night hunting? [Re: ccreyeder] #5625518 02/28/15 07:01 AM
B
Beckett Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
I cary a lot of stuff when hunting and use a camo backpack with Molle attachments I got on sale at Bass Pro. Ebay has a pretty good selection of inexpensive bags nowdays. Just make sure you get one with a waist harness or it will never stay put!

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Re: tac vest/chest rig/battle belt etc for night hunting? [Re: Ramsey] #5625754 02/28/15 02:42 PM
H
hdfireman Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H

Question is not what ti bring, but rather what to carry while stalking pigs at night. 99.9% of the time you wont need more than I listed.

So what would you do if you had a magazine malfunction or while walking you bumped the mag release and it falls out? Walk 300 yards to a mile to your truck to get another? Or you're getting charged and have a weapon malfunction. I see many reasons to carry a few "extra" things and the only reason not to is to be light. You're carrying an AR-10 with thermal, with that you don't seem to worried about light. An extra mag and a backup weapon, knife or pistol is NEVER a bad idea.

[Linked Image]
07 FFL
eric@blackstonearms.com
214-945-5520
Re: tac vest/chest rig/battle belt etc for night hunting? [Re: skinnerback] #5625765 02/28/15 02:48 PM
H
hdfireman Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
Originally Posted By: skinnerback

up I hear what you're saying. I hunt pigs for farmers too on a whooole lot of acreage so I understand where you're coming from. It's easy to get away from the truck. I carry one 30 rd mag to the field and a sidearm and after all these years and lord knows how many sounders I have yet to burn a 30 rd mag (29 actually) on a stalk. I'm not judging you cheers To each their own. Not a bad idea carrying an extra mag if you are using shorter cap mags. I have a trauma kit, first aid kit, all sorts of things with me but just don't carry them in the field.

Yeah I just don't like how far down the 25 rounders hang down. I will use them if I know I am going a long way from the truck. I carry the extra mags because I have ran a 15 round dry. Where I hunt the pigs can come out in many different places. I hunt suppressed so at times I can shoot some out of 1 sounder and before I get back to the truck another sounder has come out. Or if the wind is right the big sounder I shot at runs a little way then stops. My opinion is it's better to have it and no need it then need and not have. I have needed before. Also your trauma kit does no good if you are a long way from the truck. wink I don't think it is a big deal if I am hunting with someone but when alone I always have it and cell phone.

[Linked Image]
07 FFL
eric@blackstonearms.com
214-945-5520
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide