Print Thread
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: DU Wetlands Projects [Re: Erathkid] #5627071 03/01/15 01:24 AM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Erathkid
Overall, DU has been a boon to ALL wildlife. I give every year and have the sticker on my truck. I haven't killed a duck in probably 30 years.

The survival of the duck depends soley on the health of thier breeding habitat. It sure doesn't rely on more surface water in Texas or open water in Nebreska in Dec.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: DU Wetlands Projects [Re: BOBO the Clown] #5627188 03/01/15 02:06 AM
T
TXPride Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
Overall, DU has been a boon to ALL wildlife. I give every year and have the sticker on my truck. I haven't killed a duck in probably 30 years.

The survival of the duck depends soley on the health of thier breeding habitat. It sure doesn't rely on more surface water in Texas or open water in Nebreska in Dec.

Yeah, duck hunting in those areas would stay the same if we lost a bunch of surface water to rangeland, farming, and development...

Re: DU Wetlands Projects [Re: BOBO the Clown] #5627191 03/01/15 02:08 AM
T
TxHunter96 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T

Exactly right. I feel like delta waterfowl does a better job on focusing on that aspect

Originally Posted By: aerangis
Any creature in my vicinity that possesses an explosive penis is going to be killed.
Re: DU Wetlands Projects [Re: TXPride] #5627197 03/01/15 02:11 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: TXPride

Yeah, duck hunting in those areas would stay the same if we lost a bunch of surface water to rangeland, farming, and development...

It's all about praire pot hole region, Texas has more surface water then it's had in a hundred years.

Destroy nesting grounds you have nothing. Texas goes through a drought ducks fly until they find water.

Duck hunting and duck conservation only slightly overlap...slightly

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: DU Wetlands Projects [Re: fowlslayer11] #5627219 03/01/15 02:17 AM
T
TxHunter96 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
The army core of engineers has done more to provide surface water than DU could ever dream of

Last edited by TxHunter96; 03/01/15 02:18 AM.

Any creature in my vicinity that possesses an explosive penis is going to be killed.
Re: DU Wetlands Projects [Re: fowlslayer11] #5627271 03/01/15 02:38 AM
T
TXPride Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
So, wetland conservation doesn't belong in a state that population and development is expanding exponentially?

Re: DU Wetlands Projects [Re: fowlslayer11] #5627289 03/01/15 02:46 AM
T
TXPride Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Overall, if a duck doesn't have a bunch of habitat that makes it happy during it's winter vacation, it's gonna keep flying to where it is happy. DU and their shortstopping, landowner assisting, programs help ducks stay around. The landowner isn't the only ones who benefit from the projects spent from DU funds. Ducks aren't the only species benefiting either.

Last edited by TXPride; 03/01/15 02:48 AM.

Re: DU Wetlands Projects [Re: TXPride] #5627340 03/01/15 03:08 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
So, wetland conservation doesn't belong in a state that population and development is expanding exponentially?

Does wetland conservation in Texas directly correlate to the breeding success of ducks? NO

seasonal or traditional wetlands in TX have zero effect on duck reproduction. Nor are ducks nearly dependant on those texas locations. It's not hard to fathom, just drive down a county rd, or use google maps. Earthen dams aren't traditional wetlands..yet they hold ducks every year... Same goes for COE impoundments... I'd hardly call them traditional roosting spots, after all they are man made.

Again the survial of the ducks depends soley on the habitat in which MAJORITY breed and raise their brood.

Your agruement is easily circumvented on all wild life because stopping water run off and flow is killing the coast via salinity. Although we cant really blame that on DU since COE, State and private land owners have been building tanks, lakes and enhancing domestic livestock and humans water sustanabity expotentially for past 100 years.

Re: DU Wetlands Projects [Re: TXPride] #5627341 03/01/15 03:09 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Overall, if a duck doesn't have a bunch of habitat that makes it happy during it's winter vacation, it's gonna keep flying to where it is happy. DU and their shortstopping, landowner assisting, programs help ducks stay around. The landowner isn't the only ones who benefit from the projects spent from DU funds. Ducks aren't the only species benefiting either.

Yelp no water in Texas before DU...

Re: DU Wetlands Projects [Re: fowlslayer11] #5627435 03/01/15 03:59 AM
T
TxHunter96 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
while we're on the topic of available water... Go see what happens to the Colorado River beyond the Mexican border. No water reaches the ocean, and there's a desert where a wetland should naturally be. The U.S. retains and uses most of the water for agriculture. They do however, let a considerable amount through, but only once a year. Texas and its inland wetlands are middle ground in the migration path, with most birds wintering on the coast or south of the border

Re: DU Wetlands Projects [Re: BOBO the Clown] #5627564 03/01/15 05:22 AM
T
TXPride Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T

No, lots of water and no reason for DU before DU either, because wetlands weren't disappearing.

Nobody is saying Texas is important for duck nesting (other than mottled ducks) but their is a lot more to duck growing than that. DU's goals aren't for just protecting breeding grounds either, so it doesn't make since to criticize their choice to protect wetlands that don't meet duckling needs. Wetlands have and continue to decrease at crazy rates. Without wetland support programs, landowners have little incentive to keep them around too.

I agree most $ should be sent to protect breeding grounds up north, but it takes waterfowl a lot of resources to migrate back north and prepare for growing babies. I think it's a good idea to restore and protect wetlands that are extremely vulnerable to disappear. I bet the duck hunters around Katy wished a lot more land was put into conservation programs before the Urban sprawl.

Overall, DU can't please everyone. Some say send all $ up north, and some say keep it local only. I think they do a good job trying to keep donors happy, and are pretty successful at it. I love wetlands and I'm a fan of any wetland conservation program. I know that not everyone feels that way.

Re: DU Wetlands Projects [Re: TXPride] #5627869 03/01/15 03:28 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

No, lots of water and no reason for DU before DU either, because wetlands weren't disappearing.

Nobody is saying Texas is important for duck nesting (other than mottled ducks) but their is a lot more to duck growing than that. DU's goals aren't for just protecting breeding grounds either, so it doesn't make since to criticize their choice to protect wetlands that don't meet duckling needs. Wetlands have and continue to decrease at crazy rates. Without wetland support programs, landowners have little incentive to keep them around too.

I agree most $ should be sent to protect breeding grounds up north, but it takes waterfowl a lot of resources to migrate back north and prepare for growing babies. I think it's a good idea to restore and protect wetlands that are extremely vulnerable to disappear. I bet the duck hunters around Katy wished a lot more land was put into conservation programs before the Urban sprawl.

Overall, DU can't please everyone. Some say send all $ up north, and some say keep it local only. I think they do a good job trying to keep donors happy, and are pretty successful at it. I love wetlands and I'm a fan of any wetland conservation program. I know that not everyone feels that way.

The duck hunter around Katy wishes that it wasn't 100% private land.

Building duck hunting inpoundments/ponds isn't saving wet lands. Taking gifted land and selling it with out putting it into a conservation easement is not saving wet lands. Ducks aren't starving to death in Texas, nor have they ever.

It's funny how you mention AG practices as detrimental yet some of our fly ways have changed with the lose of farming for certain crops.

Only thing that DU does do that I appreciate is keep thier internal salaries a fraction of thier income.

Nevertheless DU is a hell of a political orginization that has mastered feel good intentions and government lobbying. I've hunted some pretty impressive DU funded holes from TX to The North East.

Lets be honest DU funded those projects because they are recreational properties. Only a very select few own true recreational properties and the majority that do could afford their own improvements.

Re: DU Wetlands Projects [Re: fowlslayer11] #5627953 03/01/15 04:13 PM
T
TXPride Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Agree to disagree.

Back to the original topic, there are DU projects on public land though.

Last edited by TXPride; 03/01/15 04:15 PM.

Re: DU Wetlands Projects [Re: fowlslayer11] #5627996 03/01/15 04:36 PM
T
TxHunter96 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
If only DU put their dollars toward opening up more land to the public...

Re: DU Wetlands Projects [Re: TxHunter96] #5628022 03/01/15 04:47 PM
A
aerangis Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
A
Originally Posted By: TxHunter96

As a non profit, I'd imagine DU has to walk a fine line between funding recreation versus conservation.

Re: DU Wetlands Projects [Re: TXPride] #5628027 03/01/15 04:50 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Agree to disagree.

Back to the original topic, there are DU projects on public land though.

Fair enough cheers

Re: DU Wetlands Projects [Re: aerangis] #5628069 03/01/15 05:05 PM
T
TxHunter96 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T

As a non profit, I'd imagine DU has to walk a fine line between funding recreation versus conservation.

I agree, but as discussed before, their current efforts do more for private recreation with less impact on conservation (at least with their efforts in our state). Their printed mission on their website is habitat conservation, and no doubt they are succeeding in that, even if it is on privately owned land. However, I can think of several public areas that haven't had DU's help in years and could greatly use it to improve habitat and duck numbers. DU may be a conservation minded group, but when it comes down to it, DU is still a hunting based group.

Re: DU Wetlands Projects [Re: fowlslayer11] #5628115 03/01/15 05:24 PM
#
#Hayraker Online Happy
Chihuahua
Online Happy
Chihuahua
#
DU is not a hunting based group

#sigline
Re: DU Wetlands Projects [Re: aerangis] #5628125 03/01/15 05:27 PM
N
ndhunter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
Anyone else notice the increasing dissatisfaction with DU? I'm curious what's the cause.

Any organization doing good things for ducks is ok by me. DU or Delta Waterfowl. I don't understand what would motivate someone interested in ducks to oppose either organization.

Re: DU Wetlands Projects [Re: TxHunter96] #5628130 03/01/15 05:31 PM
N
ndhunter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N

I agree, but as discussed before, their current efforts do more for private recreation with less impact on conservation (at least with their efforts in our state). Their printed mission on their website is habitat conservation, and no doubt they are succeeding in that, even if it is on privately owned land. However, I can think of several public areas that haven't had DU's help in years and could greatly use it to improve habitat and duck numbers. DU may be a conservation minded group, but when it comes down to it, DU is still a hunting based group.

I got this from Wikipedia

Regions of special interest[edit]

Ducks Unlimited takes a continental, landscape approach to wetland conservation. While DU works in all 50 states, the organization focuses its efforts and resources on the habitats most beneficial to waterfowl and in greatest jeopardy of disappearing. The following areas are considered to be DU's top 5 conservation priorities:[9]

Prairie Pothole Region[11]
Western Boreal Forest of Canada [12]
Mississippi Alluvial Valley[13]
Central Valley and Coastal California[14]
Gulf Coastal Prairie[15]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ducks_Unlimited

Re: DU Wetlands Projects [Re: #Hayraker] #5628140 03/01/15 05:37 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Hayraker

Let's talk cap and trade again smile

Re: DU Wetlands Projects [Re: ndhunter] #5628143 03/01/15 05:38 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: ndhunter

Ducks Unlimited takes a continental, landscape approach to wetland conservation. While DU works in all 50 states, the organization focuses its efforts and resources on the habitats most beneficial to waterfowl and in greatest jeopardy of disappearing. The following areas are considered to be DU's top 5 conservation priorities:[9]

Gulf Coastal Prairie[15]

So what portion of thier local proceeds go to the top five vs local?

Re: DU Wetlands Projects [Re: BOBO the Clown] #5628154 03/01/15 05:44 PM
N
ndhunter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
I have no idea

Any portion would be better than none for the ducks

Re: DU Wetlands Projects [Re: fowlslayer11] #5628157 03/01/15 05:46 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
I'm actually getting more impressed by thier business model every day.

Wow!!!

Re: DU Wetlands Projects [Re: ndhunter] #5628331 03/01/15 07:18 PM
T
TxHunter96 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Hayraker

Yeah, you're right. DU works on conservation solely for the sake of conservation itself, and has nothing to do with waterfowl hunting.

Originally Posted By: ndhunter

Gulf Coastal Prairie[15]

Good to see where their priorities are. It would be interesting to see what percentages of their funds go to each of these areas.

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide