Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: DU Wetlands Projects [Re: Marcstar] #5647163 03/11/15 11:56 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Marcstar
I'm more of a social and money guy bobo. The work I do for the ducks is just as important because I help fund the smart science guys that figure out what projects are worth doing who then tell the worker bees what should be done. Different people have different skills and abilities and it takes all kinds.

ah I see

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: DU Wetlands Projects [Re: fowlslayer11] #5647469 03/12/15 02:21 AM
Y
Yardboy Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
Y
Find a few of the smaller DU chapters and spend some money on raffle tickets. You will rake on guns, coolers, and prints.

Re: DU Wetlands Projects [Re: Yardboy] #5647548 03/12/15 03:16 AM
W
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: Yardboy
Find a few of the smaller DU chapters and spend some money on raffle tickets. You will rake on guns, coolers, and prints.

I wonder which alter ego this could be confused2

Re: DU Wetlands Projects [Re: wal1809] #5647715 03/12/15 04:51 AM
F
fowlslayer11 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
F
Originally Posted By: wal1809
Originally Posted By: Yardboy

I wonder which alter ego this could be confused2

Was wondering the same thing. But ironically, he's right...been 1 number off from shotguns of the year and quality ARs. Also some knives, paintings, cool misc. items at banquets are always fun to raffle off.

Coastal Prairie & Matagorda Bay system. Sic'em.

"The value of any trophy from the field depends not on its size but on the magnitude of the effort expended in its pursuit." - Aldo Leopol
Re: DU Wetlands Projects [Re: fowlslayer11] #5648256 03/12/15 04:47 PM
N
ndhunter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
Quote:
This is what DU needs to understand. If they continue their "conservation" process and expand waterfowl habitat and vegetation, I am all for paying them to do that.

Other than that, I don't want them having my money and doing something irrational with it.

What do you think will happen with the government funds earmarked for conservation if DU stops competing for those federal grants? Do you think The Nature Conservancy would be a better steward of your taxpayer dollars?

I understand your issue. My point is that any organization that is using money donated or provided by the fed to do good things for ducks is ok as far as I am concerned. I benefit from their efforts.

Re: DU Wetlands Projects [Re: ndhunter] #5648352 03/12/15 05:59 PM
#
#Hayraker Online Happy
Chihuahua
Online Happy
Chihuahua
#
Originally Posted By: ndhunter
Quote:
This is what DU needs to understand. If they continue their "conservation" process and expand waterfowl habitat and vegetation, I am all for paying them to do that.

Other than that, I don't want them having my money and doing something irrational with it.

What do you think will happen with the government funds earmarked for conservation if DU stops competing for those federal grants? Do you think The Nature Conservancy would be a better steward of your taxpayer dollars?

I understand your issue. My point is that any organization that is using money donated or provided by the fed to do good things for ducks is ok as far as I am concerned. I benefit from their efforts.

the "fed" doesn't have any money of their own to "donate"

#sigline
Re: DU Wetlands Projects [Re: ndhunter] #5648424 03/12/15 06:37 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Quote:

DU isn't competing, they have basically become the WRP program on the Tax payer dime. The Fed doesn't have their own money, they use tax payer money.

We are now in year 25 of the WRP program. The changes DU have pushed through are very eye opening

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: DU Wetlands Projects [Re: fowlslayer11] #5648426 03/12/15 06:41 PM
garrett Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
eye opening indeed up

Attention rickym, this is not a troll post, just a good hearted fun type of post
Re: DU Wetlands Projects [Re: fowlslayer11] #5648705 03/12/15 10:04 PM
Dave Speer Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
I'm sure the feds would refund our taxes if they didn't spend the money on WRP. They are trustworthy like that.

Re: DU Wetlands Projects [Re: Dave Speer] #5648726 03/12/15 10:17 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Dave Speer
I'm sure the feds would refund our taxes if they didn't spend the money on WRP. They are trustworthy like that.

You missed the lobbist part. So your basically saying the DU damage is done so just roll with it? You should really familiarize your self with the new program as it sits under ACEP.

Restoration cost are up to 75-100 percent now depending on the easement you choose.

Hell you can put it in a permanent easement get paid out 100% of the value and goverment picks up, up to a 100% of the restoration tab and you still retain access rights!!!!!

So essentailly a wealtyly LLC or Inc could buy 1000's of acres of wetlands for free and control all acces as thier personal hunting property on YOUR dime and it reduces their tax liability!!!!

Send Markstar a check...DU needssssss your business!!! Lol

Re: DU Wetlands Projects [Re: BOBO the Clown] #5649552 03/13/15 02:30 PM
N
ndhunter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
Quote:

DU isn't competing, they have basically become the WRP program on the Tax payer dime. The Fed doesn't have their own money, they use tax payer money.

We are now in year 25 of the WRP program. The changes DU have pushed through are very eye opening

I should have been more clear, I was referring to the federal government and not the federal reserve. The funding we are speaking of comes in the form of income and estate tax benefits related to those who donate conservation easements to land trusts. The only way I know that we could reduce the amount of tax funding would be for congress to pass laws that effect the tax deductibility. I think conservation easements have broad based bipartisan support so that is not likely.

Number of Conservation Easements: 105,883
Total Acres: 22,204,790
Last Update: October 2014

I think The Nature Conservancy accounts for about 15 of the 22 million acres.

Re: DU Wetlands Projects [Re: ndhunter] #5649616 03/13/15 03:19 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Quote:

I should have been more clear, I was referring to the federal government and not the federal reserve. The funding we are speaking of comes in the form of income and estate tax benefits related to those who donate conservation easements to land trusts. The only way I know that we could reduce the amount of tax funding would be for congress to pass laws that effect the tax deductibility. I think conservation easements have broad based bipartisan support so that is not likely.

Number of Conservation Easements: 105,883
Total Acres: 22,204,790
Last Update: October 2014

I think The Nature Conservancy accounts for about 15 of the 22 million acres.

Incorrect there are Direct payments made via the WRP now WRE program very similar to the CRP program. They also don't have to be in a perm easement either.

Any time you put something in a temp or perm conservation easement you are lowering the tax valuation for a certain amount of time.

As it stands now up to an additional 250k a year can be enrolled depending on state thresholds. The state thresholds is in place do to the tax losses inccur with enrollment.

Re: DU Wetlands Projects [Re: fowlslayer11] #5649931 03/13/15 06:51 PM
A
aerangis Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
A
All this talk about what DU does, what they don't do, funding "smart science guys", blah blah blah. A lot of it is nonsense.

Here's your tax dollars at work... asignificant amount of DU time and resources is used to further hunting. I used to think that was a good thing. Over the course of the last 15 years or so, I began to realize DU was popularizing duck hunting to such an extent that it was bringing unskilled, marginally skilled, and/or irresponsible hunters to area lakes that saw duck hunting as nothing more than a chance to learn how to hunt, to kill something cheaply, without the expense of a lease. Unfortunately, a lot of these hunters are irresponsible. Most of us have encountered these folks, they are hunters that lack patience, setup next to someone else, that think it's ok to drink alcohol on the hunt, to litter, to shoot birds working someone else's decoys, shoot ducks that they can't identify, much less tell you the limits on specific birds. The list is long. Anyone who's been hunting long enough and has stepped foot on any public area in the U.S. in the last few years can see that the explosive rise in duck hunters has had a detrimental affect on habitat and quality of hunts, not in numbers of birds killed, but in the increased number of incidents we've had to deal with due to the large number of unskilled and irresponsible hunters.

The assumption that the money given to DU gives DU the moral high ground to argue that it's purpose justifies it's means, despite having zero first hand knowledge how money is allocated or spent other than what is read on the web or heard from others, is flawed. I know a TON of waterfowl hunters in NA. I know a TON of DU committee members. Aside from folks killing a banded bird (and who typically don't care about anything other than having a band), I can count on one hand (myself included) the number of hunters that have actually worked on field studies and assisted biologists.

On a personal level, I can tell you where I've seen hunters show concern as a steward of our lands by picking up trash at the multitude of public hunting sites I've hunted at, and it's rare. Who's the conservationists? A person who feels good about themselves because they bought DU raffle tickets or a membership with the assumption it funds "smart science", or a conscientious hunter who leaves the land better after a hunt? It's a rare occasion to see someone buy a bunch of tickets for something just to donate their money to a cause.

DU provides a mechanism to get tax deductible donations. That serves a valid purpose, if that money is going to be donated by private interests, I'm glad to see it donated for waterfowl conservation. What I don't like is DU lobbying our federal government to get my tax dollars to further their agenda, nor do I agree with promoting hunting to such an extent that it fills every square inch of public land with hunters beyond the capacity to hunt safely. Promoting hunting is OK. When it becomes self serving? Not OK.

The $83 million DU received in one year from our federal government would be much better spent acquiring habitat, not paying a farmer for taking X amount of rice fields out of cultivation, paying to put in an irrigation system to flood private fields, or digging ponds on someone's land.

Re: DU Wetlands Projects [Re: BOBO the Clown] #5649940 03/13/15 06:57 PM
N
ndhunter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
I think you are describing programs administered by the USDA that provides financial assistance directly to private landowners to "restore, protect, and enhance wetlands through the purchase of a wetland reserve easement."

Maybe we are talking about 2 different things

Re: DU Wetlands Projects [Re: BOBO the Clown] #5649997 03/13/15 07:41 PM
A
aerangis Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
A

You missed the lobbist part. So your basically saying the DU damage is done so just roll with it? You should really familiarize your self with the new program as it sits under ACEP.

Restoration cost are up to 75-100 percent now depending on the easement you choose.

Hell you can put it in a permanent easement get paid out 100% of the value and goverment picks up, up to a 100% of the restoration tab and you still retain access rights!!!!!

So essentailly a wealthy LLC or Inc could buy 1000's of acres of wetlands for free and control all acces as thier personal hunting property on YOUR dime and it reduces their tax liability!!!!

B, maybe now they'll get it....

Re: DU Wetlands Projects [Re: fowlslayer11] #5650104 03/13/15 09:00 PM
K
kindall Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
aerangis
I've seen to many places turned into dumps after they were made public.
Private land that was beautiful before it was donated, now trashed by the public.
Its free to them, so they don't give a crap about it.

I don't think DU made it that way, because its like that in so many place in Texas, even where you can't duck hunt. Until the people starts having more respect towards public property, I could careless if any improvements are made to it.

Shopping with your husband is like hunting with the game warden.
Experience is what you get, when you didn't get what you wanted.

Re: DU Wetlands Projects [Re: aerangis] #5650416 03/14/15 12:51 AM
Y
Yardboy Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
Y
Originally Posted By: aerangis
All this talk about what DU does, what they don't do, funding "smart science guys", blah blah blah. A lot of it is nonsense.

Here's your tax dollars at work... asignificant amount of DU time and resources is used to further hunting. I used to think that was a good thing. Over the course of the last 15 years or so, I began to realize DU was popularizing duck hunting to such an extent that it was bringing unskilled, marginally skilled, and/or irresponsible hunters to area lakes that saw duck hunting as nothing more than a chance to learn how to hunt, to kill something cheaply, without the expense of a lease. Unfortunately, a lot of these hunters are irresponsible. Most of us have encountered these folks, they are hunters that lack patience, setup next to someone else, that think it's ok to drink alcohol on the hunt, to litter, to shoot birds working someone else's decoys, shoot ducks that they can't identify, much less tell you the limits on specific birds. The list is long. Anyone who's been hunting long enough and has stepped foot on any public area in the U.S. in the last few years can see that the explosive rise in duck hunters has had a detrimental affect on habitat and quality of hunts, not in numbers of birds killed, but in the increased number of incidents we've had to deal with due to the large number of unskilled and irresponsible hunters.

The assumption that the money given to DU gives DU the moral high ground to argue that it's purpose justifies it's means, despite having zero first hand knowledge how money is allocated or spent other than what is read on the web or heard from others, is flawed. I know a TON of waterfowl hunters in NA. I know a TON of DU committee members. Aside from folks killing a banded bird (and who typically don't care about anything other than having a band), I can count on one hand (myself included) the number of hunters that have actually worked on field studies and assisted biologists.

On a personal level, I can tell you where I've seen hunters show concern as a steward of our lands by picking up trash at the multitude of public hunting sites I've hunted at, and it's rare. Who's the conservationists? A person who feels good about themselves because they bought DU raffle tickets or a membership with the assumption it funds "smart science", or a conscientious hunter who leaves the land better after a hunt? It's a rare occasion to see someone buy a bunch of tickets for something just to donate their money to a cause.

DU provides a mechanism to get tax deductible donations. That serves a valid purpose, if that money is going to be donated by private interests, I'm glad to see it donated for waterfowl conservation. What I don't like is DU lobbying our federal government to get my tax dollars to further their agenda, nor do I agree with promoting hunting to such an extent that it fills every square inch of public land with hunters beyond the capacity to hunt safely. Promoting hunting is OK. When it becomes self serving? Not OK.

The $83 million DU received in one year from our federal government would be much better spent acquiring habitat, not paying a farmer for taking X amount of rice fields out of cultivation, paying to put in an irrigation system to flood private fields, or digging ponds on someone's land.

Word.

My comment about the banquets was stating the only good thing about DU.

Re: DU Wetlands Projects [Re: ndhunter] #5651084 03/14/15 04:39 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
I think you are describing programs administered by the USDA that provides financial assistance directly to private landowners to "restore, protect, and enhance wetlands through the purchase of a wetland reserve easement."

Maybe we are talking about 2 different things

Nope, same thing

Re: DU Wetlands Projects [Re: fowlslayer11] #5680646 04/02/15 05:36 AM
S
STX Waterfowler Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
I'm going to start my own non-money volunteer because we love to hunt ducks group!

Screw all this craziness.

Ooo Look I found another empty shell casing! Win for me, Win for the Ducks.

Last edited by STX Waterfowler; 04/02/15 05:36 AM.

KUPT' & KOMMITED! TAKE EM'

Re: DU Wetlands Projects [Re: aerangis] #5680842 04/02/15 01:32 PM
Guy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

So essentailly a wealthy LLC or Inc could buy 1000's of acres of wetlands for free and control all acces as thier personal hunting property on YOUR dime and it reduces their tax liability!!!!

B, maybe now they'll get it....

Yup, I think bobo has taken the lead now, but it's a long offseason, so plenty of time for Marcstar to make a comeback... popcorn

Re: DU Wetlands Projects [Re: fowlslayer11] #5681173 04/02/15 04:49 PM
H
Hogman4127 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
I don't know. I like six waterfowlers idea

Re: DU Wetlands Projects [Re: fowlslayer11] #5683145 04/03/15 09:08 PM
Y
Yardboy Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
Y
Bobo is definitely in the lead on this one. I think Mark is just defending his position so he can get those awesome "committee" shirts.

I bet if I had one of those shirts, not only would I kill more ducks, but the wannabes at the boat ramp would know that I am for real.

Re: DU Wetlands Projects [Re: fowlslayer11] #5683676 04/04/15 03:29 AM
S
sprigsss Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
DU should start worrying about wintering habitat as soon as the breeding grounds are capable of producing more ducks than the wintering grounds can support.

That ain't happening anytime soon.

Someone mentioned that you can approach DU with a wetlands project and maybe get some support. I'm going to guess this has nothing to do with how much you contribute???

Guess its pure coincidence that every Private Land Owner I've ever known with a DU improvements on their land certainly could have paid for it themselves.

Delta means well, but predator control isn't very cost effective. DU has the right idea, just doing it in the wrong areas.

There are tons of private dollars going to creating wintering habitat. How many people out there are spending tens of thousands of dollars to create breeding habitat?

Last edited by sprigsss; 04/04/15 03:31 AM.
Re: DU Wetlands Projects [Re: fowlslayer11] #5683849 04/04/15 12:15 PM
A
aerangis Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
A
I was on a business trip last spring and the hotel parking lot and that of the adjacent mall had ducks and geese nesting on every patch of grass around the hotel and on the grass islands in the parking lots. There were literally hundreds of birds.

I wouldn't be surprised to see DU claim that parking lot as one of their "breeding habitat" success stories.

Re: DU Wetlands Projects [Re: aerangis] #5696612 04/13/15 12:50 AM
F
fowlslayer11 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
F
I was on a business trip last spring and the hotel parking lot and that of the adjacent mall had ducks and geese nesting on every patch of grass around the hotel and on the grass islands in the parking lots. There were literally hundreds of birds.

I wouldn't be surprised to see DU claim that parking lot as one of their "breeding habitat" success stories.

Guarantee you they've already got that claimed. 100%.

Coastal Prairie & Matagorda Bay system. Sic'em.

"The value of any trophy from the field depends not on its size but on the magnitude of the effort expended in its pursuit." - Aldo Leopol
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide