Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable [Re: Dirt] #5630902 03/02/15 11:53 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
I read many of the stories from farmers, and other folks who gave their own personal accounts of how Monsanto treated them and or sued them. Not the Monsanto press release from their lawyers. Many stories can be confirmed and not just the ones that fit Monsantos storyline.

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable [Re: Dirt] #5630916 03/02/15 11:59 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
They'll own the worlds food supply too one day. In thirty years we'll be eating Monsanto GMO 'Soylent green'... That's a scary thought.

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable [Re: Erathkid] #5630927 03/03/15 12:08 AM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Erathkid
I read many of the stories from farmers, and other folks who gave their own personal accounts of how Monsanto treated them and or sued them. Not the Monsanto press release from their lawyers. Many stories can be confirmed and not just the ones that fit Monsantos storyline.

Like I said don't sign the contract.....

Pretty simple stuff.

But please enlighten me on the suits.... Don't talk BS either about non perennial crop cross pollination

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable [Re: Erathkid] #5630953 03/03/15 12:18 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
They'll own the worlds food supply too one day. In thirty years we'll be eating Monsanto GMO 'Soylent green'... That's a scary thought.

What??? They have less then 20% of the world seed market.

Man reality is slipping away from you

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable [Re: Dirt] #5630971 03/03/15 12:23 AM
D
Dustnsand Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
I read on the internet.....

What a load of crap.

Spend some time around farming before you tell people about what you read on the internet.

Monsanto is one of many seed and chemical companies and it's an absolute blatant lie to say most farmers hate them

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable [Re: Dirt] #5631016 03/03/15 12:41 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Dirt
I reckon I should start adding another 1/2 acre to the plot and recoupe some "feed"
for next years planting. But how to protect against weavils etc? Last year I planted
milo I had left over, a couple of bags I stored in my garage. None of it came up.
The feed store said if you don't plant it quick weavils will destroy all of it within
a few months. Some countries have banned GMO. It seems MON has a monopoly on it.

Why would you go through the expense of combining a 1/2 acre? You will be way in the red.

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable [Re: BOBO the Clown] #5631448 03/03/15 04:23 AM
G
Gone to Texas Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

What??? They have 1% of the world seed market.

Man reality is slipping away from you

80% of corn grown in the US is from Monsanto GE seed and 93% of the soy is also Monsanto. Look at the label of something you eat and I gaurentee it has either corn or soy in it. Also, beef, chicken, pork all have GMO corn in it because they eat GMO feed. The only reason it has slowed internationally is because in other countries studies have been done and showed the health risks of eating GMO foods. Just about every other 1st world country labels food in stores if their GMO, we do not.

Link Here

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable [Re: BOBO the Clown] #5631454 03/03/15 04:26 AM
G
Gone to Texas Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
GTT, that's exactly what I was talking about. They're starting to see new strains of weeds that are immune to 'roundup'. Weeds are evolving and building up resistance. But yes, BOBO, it's true that farmers have been sued over cross-pollination even though they used NO Monsanto seed. Easy to check out on the internet.

Then those farmers could sue them for destroying thier non-GMO crop. Infact many are begging for it to happen. Monsanto doesn't go after cross pollination for that reason, everyone of thier lawsuits are based off breech of contract. The contract you sign when you buy thier seed.

Out side of alfalfa(a perennial) its easily proven. If I have a second generation GMO seed which it would be via cross pollination , then the stalk it's self would be GMO gene free.

Internet is full of a lot of news stories that seldom revel the truth...

Farmers are trying to sue them, takes a lot of time and money.

Link Here

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable [Re: Dirt] #5631497 03/03/15 04:54 AM
D
Dustnsand Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Those are your sources? Why those aren't biased at all rofl

80% of the corn market isn't going to be monsanto. There's more than Dekalb out there you realize?

Once again though, go ahead and get rid of those companies. After all look how much proof there is they are harmful. Oh wait there isn't any other than propaganda from organic and natural websites. Sorry to tell you but without those companies we'd be screwed. You realize predictions show we need to double food production by 2050 to keep up with population growth? Do you realize how many people would die if we switched to all organic production.

Norman Borlaug himself said it was impossible.

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable [Re: Dustnsand] #5631548 03/03/15 05:45 AM
G
Gone to Texas Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: z71dustin

80% of the corn market isn't going to be monsanto. There's more than Dekalb out there you realize?

Once again though, go ahead and get rid of those companies. After all look how much proof there is they are harmful. Oh wait there isn't any other than propaganda from organic and natural websites. Sorry to tell you but without those companies we'd be screwed. You realize predictions show we need to double food production by 2050 to keep up with population growth? Do you realize how many people would die if we switched to all organic production.

Are you claiming a majority of food produced is GMO but your laughing saying that 80% of corn is GMO? I don't get it, 90 percent of corn in the country is grown for corn syrup use, look it up. Can you imagine if that changed to 90 percent was organic corn grown for human consumption??? The problem is not growing food, the problem is getting it to the people who are starving across the world. Can you provide any sources to what you are stating? There are several studies that show GMO foods are bad for human health, can you imagine if we double the food supply with known toxic food for the growing population?

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable [Re: Gone to Texas] #5631561 03/03/15 06:06 AM
D
Dustnsand Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: Gone to Texas

Are you claiming a majority of food produced is GMO but your laughing saying that 80% of corn is GMO? I don't get it, 90 percent of corn in the country is grown for corn syrup use, look it up. Can you imagine if that changed to 90 percent was organic corn grown for human consumption??? The problem is not growing food, the problem is getting it to the people who are starving across the world. Can you provide any sources to what you are stating? There are several studies that show GMO foods are bad for human health, can you imagine if we double the food supply with known toxic food for the growing population?

No, I'm saying there other companies than Monsanto. Yall seem to think Monsanto is the only company that sells seed. I'm not saying there isn't a majority of GM corn grown, just that it's not all from one company. grin

it is absolutely and utterly impossible to produce the amount of food we do today by organic production.

You're the one that needs to produce studies showing they are toxic. Because there is none.

I'll wait while you go find all these peer reviewed studies that shows GM crops are toxic to humans. Peer reviewed too, not an opinion piece from organicnaturalgreenliving. Com or the rat study that was withdrawn for being a load of crap.

BTW, I make a living working in agricultural research so please teach me something I can share with the scientists at the research station tomorrow.

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable [Re: Dustnsand] #5631577 03/03/15 06:57 AM
G
Gone to Texas Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G

No, I'm saying there other companies than Monsanto. Yall seem to think Monsanto is the only company that sells seed. I'm not saying there isn't a majority of GM corn grown, just that it's not all from one company. grin

it is absolutely and utterly impossible to produce the amount of food we do today by organic production.

You're the one that needs to produce studies showing they are toxic. Because there is none.

I'll wait while you go find all these peer reviewed studies that shows GM crops are toxic to humans. Peer reviewed too, not an opinion piece from organicnaturalgreenliving. Com or the rat study that was withdrawn for being a load of crap.

BTW, I make a living working in agricultural research so please teach me something I can share with the scientists at the research station tomorrow.

There are several studies, and I mean several, peer reviewed articles on this topic. I understand your credentials are higher than mine, but 3 years ago I wrote a paper on this in college. I thought it was a bunch of crap but I was shocked how much supporting evidence was out there. The main problem is these GMO food were not tested before being released for consumption which sounds crazy. Now more and more studies are surfucing which is why most all countries are forcing GMO foods to be labeled in stores or even outlawing them all together. Also, if you think that it is impossible to produce the amount of food needed for todays population that is just incorrect. As I said before, all we have to do is stop producing inedible corn used for corn syrup and that opens up a huge access point. Can you imagine how many others there are like that?

I have attached the link to a text book on the subject, specifically chapter 16 explains the Human Health effects, obviously this is per reviewed and it provides several other sources you can look into as well.

And yes, I understand there are other companies other than Monsanto, but they constitute almost 50% of the GMO food industry. My argument is with GMO food all together, my gripe with Monsanto is what happened to my uncle and hundreds of other farmers.

Book link

Last edited by Gone to Texas; 03/03/15 06:59 AM.
Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable [Re: Dirt] #5631745 03/03/15 01:31 PM
D
Dustnsand Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Did you read your link? It supports my viewpoint.

It discussed non peer reviewed and peer reviewed articles. It itself from what I can gather is not. Funny how every peer reviewed article it talks about, the authors try to discredit the actual peer reviewed article that said there was no issues with GM foods. Basically he tried to make an excuse for every legitimate study he put in the chapter.

at the end however they flat out admitted there were only opinions on the health risks.

Last edited by z71dustin; 03/03/15 01:32 PM.
Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable [Re: Gone to Texas] #5631760 03/03/15 01:37 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
GTT, that's exactly what I was talking about. They're starting to see new strains of weeds that are immune to 'roundup'. Weeds are evolving and building up resistance. But yes, BOBO, it's true that farmers have been sued over cross-pollination even though they used NO Monsanto seed. Easy to check out on the internet.

Then those farmers could sue them for destroying thier non-GMO crop. Infact many are begging for it to happen. Monsanto doesn't go after cross pollination for that reason, everyone of thier lawsuits are based off breech of contract. The contract you sign when you buy thier seed.

Out side of alfalfa(a perennial) its easily proven. If I have a second generation GMO seed which it would be via cross pollination , then the stalk it's self would be GMO gene free.

Link Here

I'm very aware of that suit, I'm also very aware of the out come. There is a reason I mentioned organic farmers earlier.

If you knew anything about the suit it would show you that the reason they lost is because Monsanto has never sued anyone for cross pollination. That and the science behind cross pollination shows the likely hood of less then 2% on the extreme end, most is less the a percentage point. The day Monsanto sues for cross pollination is the day they open themselves up for any little bit of cross pollination out there.

Again 2% of seed coming from a section of corn is very minimal. Every suit Monsanto has went after was breach of contract for hold over.

We farm a pretty big chunck of ground. I've used a plethora of seed companies. Some are 100% competors to Monsanto some have licensing agreements with Monsanto. If I toss in the other acreage some of my crop sharers farm acreage wise it becomes very substantial. None of us hate or have issue with Monsanto. We also use to own a grain elevator. It's a pretty simple concept. When you sign a contract not to reuse harvested seed, dont do it.

The science behind the harmfulness of GMO is fiction. You would of died a long time ago.

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable [Re: Dustnsand] #5632001 03/03/15 04:08 PM
G
Gone to Texas Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G

It discussed non peer reviewed and peer reviewed articles. It itself from what I can gather is not. Funny how every peer reviewed article it talks about, the authors try to discredit the actual peer reviewed article that said there was no issues with GM foods. Basically he tried to make an excuse for every legitimate study he put in the chapter.

at the end however they flat out admitted there were only opinions on the health risks.

Uhhh... Did you read the conclusion in chapter 16?

"From the results, the conclusion seems inescapable that the present crude method of genetic modification has not delivered GM crops that are predictably safe and wholesome."

Ultimately, there have not been enough studies done, if you would like to be a guinea pig, by all means go for it.

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable [Re: BOBO the Clown] #5632023 03/03/15 04:24 PM
G
Gone to Texas Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G

Link Here

I'm very aware of that suit, I'm also very aware of the out come. There is a reason I mentioned organic farmers earlier.

If you knew anything about the suit it would show you that the reason they lost is because Monsanto has never sued anyone for cross pollination. That and the science behind cross pollination shows the likely hood of less then 2% on the extreme end, most is less the a percentage point. The day Monsanto sues for cross pollination is the day they open themselves up for any little bit of cross pollination out there.

Again 2% of seed coming from a section of corn is very minimal. Every suit Monsanto has went after was breach of contract for hold over.

We farm a pretty big chunck of ground. I've used a plethora of seed companies. Some are 100% competors to Monsanto some have licensing agreements with Monsanto. If I toss in the other acreage some of my crop sharers farm acreage wise it becomes very substantial. None of us hate or have issue with Monsanto. We also use to own a grain elevator. It's a pretty simple concept. When you sign a contract not to reuse harvested seed, dont do it.

The science behind the harmfulness of GMO is fiction. You would of died a long time ago.

Yes, every law suit has been breech of contract. This can happen through several ways such as pollination. Look at the farmer in Canada, his neighbor was growing GMO canola, it pollinated with his and Monsanto sued him for patient infringement stating he did not have a license to grow the GMO plant. The court concluded:

"It does not matter how a farmer, a forester, or a gardener’s seed or plants become contaminated with GMOs; whether through cross pollination, pollen blowing in the wind, by bees, direct seed movement or seed transportation, the growers no longer own their seeds or plants under patent law, they becomes Monsanto’s property."

Monsanto has sued several farmers over cross pollination, however they just call it patient infringement.

Candian lawsuit

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable [Re: Gone to Texas] #5632025 03/03/15 04:24 PM
D
Dustnsand Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D

"From the results, the conclusion seems inescapable that the present crude method of genetic modification has not delivered GM crops that are predictably safe and wholesome."

Ultimately, there have not been enough studies done, if you would like to be a guinea pig, by all means go for it.

Yes, I read the whole chapter.

the author says there are opinions but little data to back up saying GM crops are bad and then says that? There's another one of his opinions lol. Crude method is a load of BS, it's been going on for years and works pretty good.

That book is a joke. I said to find a peer reviewed study which it is not. Every single legitimate study it talked about said that GM crops are fine lol. The only thing he could hold to were non peer reviewed studies. When someone talks about a topic and criticizes every legitimate study and then praises the unproven ones, it's clear to see they have an agenda.

You honestly can't tell me you think GM crops are toxic? If so not only would we all be dead, there would have been studies that shown that long ago and they would not be in production any more.

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable [Re: Dirt] #5632027 03/03/15 04:26 PM
D
Dustnsand Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
How do you feel about cross breeding? Should we go back to non hybrid corn? Wild type cotton?

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable [Re: Dirt] #5632098 03/03/15 05:12 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Familiar with the case. He wasn't just a farmer, he was a seed seller/breeder also. Why I said earlier they go after the harvest and replant.

He could of sold the seed for oil, but he choose to keep it and replant it. He purposely keep his highest concentrations of cross pollinated patented seed. He then knowingly planted patented seed. End of story.

he wasn't sued for procession or cross pollination.. He was sued for knowningly planting patented seed and selling it. You don't get that high of concentrations from cross pollination alone, when all said and after two years of selected harvest of the patented plants he had planted 1000 acres in 98% patented seed he had keep over.

Please read about the suits before you post them. It's not helping your case.

If I did same thing with DuPont seed they would sue me as would any other company.

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable [Re: BOBO the Clown] #5632383 03/03/15 08:25 PM
G
Gone to Texas Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
Familiar with the case. He wasn't just a farmer, he was a seed seller/breeder also. Why I said earlier they go after the harvest and replant.

He could of sold the seed for oil, but he choose to keep it and replant it. He purposely keep his highest concentrations of cross pollinated patented seed. He then knowingly planted patented seed. End of story.

he wasn't sued for procession or cross pollination.. He was sued for knowningly planting patented seed and selling it. You don't get that high of concentrations from cross pollination alone, when all said and after two years of selected harvest of the patented plants he had planted 1000 acres in 98% patented seed he had keep over.

If I did same thing with DuPont seed they would sue me as would any other company.

I believe your missing the point, your saying the farmers should sue for GMOs destroying their crops, they have tried. You have stated cross pollination has not happened with GMOs, it did. Any plant that cross pollinates with a Monsanto plant is now property of Monsanto regardless of how it happened. This is what the court ruled, therefore, any farmer who is unknowingly growing Roundup Ready plants is now in big, big trouble (which is what happened to my uncle).

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable [Re: Dustnsand] #5632396 03/03/15 08:30 PM
G
Gone to Texas Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G

the author says there are opinions but little data to back up saying GM crops are bad and then says that? There's another one of his opinions lol. Crude method is a load of BS, it's been going on for years and works pretty good.

That book is a joke. I said to find a peer reviewed study which it is not. Every single legitimate study it talked about said that GM crops are fine lol. The only thing he could hold to were non peer reviewed studies. When someone talks about a topic and criticizes every legitimate study and then praises the unproven ones, it's clear to see they have an agenda.

You honestly can't tell me you think GM crops are toxic? If so not only would we all be dead, there would have been studies that shown that long ago and they would not be in production any more.

Look at the sources provided in the book, the peer reviewed sources are pretty clear.

Why do you think "toxic" means you will die over night? Do you think cigarettes are toxic? Is lead based paint toxic? Is chewing tobacco toxic? All these things cause illnesses that will kill you over time. All I am saying is I would rather eat known healthier better tasting food rather than be a risk of ingesting carcinogens. Again, there are not many studies because these foods were released without testing which is crazy. Other countries have done tests and found them to be hazardous to health which is why the foods are labeled in stores and some countries outlaw GMOs all together.

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable [Re: Gone to Texas] #5632451 03/03/15 09:10 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

I believe your missing the point, your saying the farmers should sue for GMOs destroying their crops, they have tried. You have stated cross pollination has not happened with GMOs, it did. Any plant that cross pollinates with a Monsanto plant is now property of Monsanto regardless of how it happened. This is what the court ruled, therefore, any farmer who is unknowingly growing Roundup Ready plants is now in big, big trouble (which is what happened to my uncle).

Wrong.
First I'd didn't say cross pollination doesn't happen it does but not to a level that is significant again 2-3% on the extreme end. As far as suit you have to show damage. The organic case set precedent that you have to show loss. They could not show loss via the cross polilnation (pecentage wise and/or monetary loss, etc) or via Monsanto itself because they have never sued anyone for having or selling cross pollinated seed that wasn't intentionally planted.. They have only sued those that harvested seed, kept and replanted.

In the Canadian case canola harvest bushel rates are avg 1748lbs per acre. Planting is roughly 3lbs. He know which plants where cross pollinated and only keep over that seed to replant. He only need a rate .001% of cross polunation to do that.

Again you didn't read or understand the suit nor is that what was ruled. The ruling was based on the fact he purposely, knowingly and admittedly selected what he knew to by patented seed and replanted it.

His crop was found to be 98% pure patented seed, they ruled that he did infact infringe on the patent. Since he purposely sought after and keep the patent seed and thus why his crop was 98% patented plants.

Again he had a 1000 acres of it. All he needed to do(which he did) was keep 3000 pounds out of a field that produces 1,748,000lbs that's a .001 cross pollination rate. Not hard to do if you know what your looking for basically 2 acres. If he would of just sold the hybridized seed he would of been fine, but no he purposely planted it.
Infact he mostly would of been compensated by Monsanto if we would of brought it to thier attention.
I

Your agruing with the wrong guy I've paid seed bills for up to 250,000lbs of seed(corn, milo, wheat, Alfafla) in one year. I have first hand experience with all the major seed companies. Also have generations of farming experience.

Again you don't re-plant patented seed. Been that way for 20 plus years.

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable [Re: Gone to Texas] #5632540 03/03/15 10:10 PM
D
Dustnsand Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D

Look at the sources provided in the book, the peer reviewed sources are pretty clear.

Why do you think "toxic" means you will die over night? Do you think cigarettes are toxic? Is lead based paint toxic? Is chewing tobacco toxic? All these things cause illnesses that will kill you over time. All I am saying is I would rather eat known healthier better tasting food rather than be a risk of ingesting carcinogens. Again, there are not many studies because these foods were released without testing which is crazy. Other countries have done tests and found them to be hazardous to health which is why the foods are labeled in stores and some countries outlaw GMOs all together.

GM crops have been around for years, we would have seen the signs or symptoms of toxicity by now.

There were tests done. I can promise you those companies did their research before releasing the products. There's no way they would release something they knew was toxic, it would eventually come back and crush the company.

And you're right the peer reviewed sources are clear. They all state they are FINE!

Do you realize how long it takes a new GM product to be released? Monsanto new xtendflex system is set to be released this year. It's been in the works since the 90s. That's years of research in the field and lab and and ton of regulatory hurdles to clear

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable [Re: BOBO the Clown] #5632568 03/03/15 10:29 PM
G
Gone to Texas Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G

Wrong.
First I'd didn't say cross pollination doesn't happen it does but not to a level that is significant again 2-3% on the extreme end. As far as suit you have to show damage. The organic case set precedent that you have to show loss. They could not show loss via the cross polilnation (pecentage wise and/or monetary loss, etc) or via Monsanto itself because they have never sued anyone for having or selling cross pollinated seed that wasn't intentionally planted.. They have only sued those that harvested seed, kept and replanted.

In the Canadian case canola harvest bushel rates are avg 1748lbs per acre. Planting is roughly 3lbs. He know which plants where cross pollinated and only keep over that seed to replant. He only need a rate .001% of cross polunation to do that.

Again you didn't read or understand the suit nor is that what was ruled. The ruling was based on the fact he purposely, knowingly and admittedly selected what he knew to by patented seed and replanted it.

His crop was found to be 98% pure patented seed, they ruled that he did infact infringe on the patent. Since he purposely sought after and keep the patent seed and thus why his crop was 98% patented plants.

Again he had a 1000 acres of it. All he needed to do(which he did) was keep 3000 pounds out of a field that produces 1,748,000lbs that's a .001 cross pollination rate. Not hard to do if you know what your looking for basically 2 acres. If he would of just sold the hybridized seed he would of been fine, but no he purposely planted it.
Infact he mostly would of been compensated by Monsanto if we would of brought it to thier attention.
I

Your agruing with the wrong guy I've paid seed bills for up to 250,000lbs of seed(corn, milo, wheat, Alfafla) in one year. I have first hand experience with all the major seed companies. Also have generations of farming experience.

Again you don't re-plant patented seed. Been that way for 20 plus years.

I'm not arguing or picking a fight. All I am saying is what I have experienced. Like I said before, your credentials are much higher than mine. All I am saying is there are law suits that derive from GMOs plants pollinating with organic plants. Regardless of the legal action pursued, this has happened and will continue to happen as more people use GMO seeds.

Re: Food Plot Language / Unbelievable [Re: Dirt] #5632681 03/03/15 11:36 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
I'm not trying to agrue either just trying to clear up a bunch of misconceptions.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide