Page 1 of 2 1 2
Tips and Tricks for beginning reloader #5617187 02/24/15 02:37 PM
K
Korean Redneck Online Content OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
I finally set up my reloading press onto my bench. I've also been reading (both books and online) and watching a bunch of how to's. So I think I have enough info not to kill myself. Now I'd like to hear some tips and tricks from those who have been doing it a while. Some more along of the lines of, "if I had to do it again, then..." or "(blank) was alot more effective than I thought."

Basically I am looking for tips and tricks on what helped improve consistency and translated to accuracy. Things that for little cost and/or effort showed great improvement. I am a man who believes in diminishing return so somethings cost so much more in resource with less in return.
Ex: is a case trimmer worth both the cost and effort to acquire and use?

Some details (don't know if any matters):
I will be shooting this out of a shilen (26" 1-10) barreled savage in a hs stock.
I have the single, basic Hornady press kit with a RCBS precesion 308 die set
i want to shoot both the 168gr and 178gr hornady bthp (if courious, seems like a cheaper alternative to the famed SMK but doesn't seem like it compromises much if any in quality.)

I'm a dude who likes long barrels!
Re: Tips and Tricks for beginning reloader [Re: Korean Redneck] #5617272 02/24/15 02:57 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Have you read the sticky above?

If you dont have a case trimmer, you certainly need one, as well as chamfer/ deburring tool. Making your brass as consistent as possible is a significant part of the battle. Add to that a flash hole deburring tool.

Good calipers are a must. I use American Made Starrett, take your pick. Hornady Headspace gauge kit, and bullet comparators for each caliber you will be loading.

Make the brass match, pick a powder, pick a bullet, pick a primer. When searching for "the" load only change one factor at a time. Pick a seat depth, and try various powder weights using one bullet type.

If I had it to do over again I would have bought a Chargemaster as soon as I started
No telling how many hours I would have saved.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Tips and Tricks for beginning reloader [Re: Korean Redneck] #5617366 02/24/15 03:52 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
C
Make sure you screw your sizing die down to touch the shell holder when sizing, and then lower it another 1/2 to 1 turn. The #1 mistake shooters make in sizing is raising the ram up, then lowering the die to touch, and locking it down (which is wrong). If you do this, when you size a case under pressure, the shell holder will no longer touch the die, and you will not get a FL size, and have chambering problems.

I'd recommend reading the reloading manual (instruction part of reloading), and then read it again. This will help avoid the chambering issues.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Tips and Tricks for beginning reloader [Re: Korean Redneck] #5617399 02/24/15 04:12 PM
K
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
did read most of the sticky. Truth be told, I've read too much and saw too many videos. I am going to re-read just some select materials, including some on the sticky you mentioned.

I think the case trimmer is the only equipment i think I "need" but don't have yet. I'm planning on get the lyman as it looks simple and effective.

Fireman, I haven't forgotten about you. I'm trying like heck to make arrangements for mid to late march to come and see you. Work is still a little busy but seeing the light at the end of the tunnel lately.

Chad, I don't understand your post. Are you saying that most people skip the turn/half turn step?

Re: Tips and Tricks for beginning reloader [Re: Korean Redneck] #5617404 02/24/15 04:14 PM
K
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
Dang, i just looked up the price of a Chargemaster, YOU CRAZY?!?!?
I'm just getting started and that costs about as much as my whole kit!!!! Next suggestion please.

Re: Tips and Tricks for beginning reloader [Re: Korean Redneck] #5617411 02/24/15 04:16 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: Korean Redneck
Chad, I don't understand your post. Are you saying that most people skip the turn/half turn step?

Correct. Most people raise the ram all the way up and screw the die down to touch the shell holder, then lock the die down to size. You MUST screw it in further by 1/2 to 1 full turn (or more) to FL size correctly. Once you start reloading, you will understand this. Just keep your rifle next to you when sizing brass and chamber check your brass to make sure it chambers.

[Linked Image]
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Tips and Tricks for beginning reloader [Re: ChadTRG42] #5617437 02/24/15 04:26 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
Just keep your rifle next to you when sizing brass and chamber check your brass to make sure it chambers.

^^This^^

If I had two rifles, each chambered for the same cartridge, I would make notes for head-spacing for each rifle independently. And Rifle #1 would have its' own brass, and rifle #2 would have its' own brass.

Make sense KR?

The range will be there when you get ready.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Tips and Tricks for beginning reloader [Re: Korean Redneck] #5617442 02/24/15 04:27 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Nothing wrong with the beam scales and powder thrower, they can be had a lot cheaper than a dispenser/measurer combo. Throw a little less than your desired charge and trickle up to it.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Tips and Tricks for beginning reloader [Re: Korean Redneck] #5617503 02/24/15 05:06 PM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I hate to disagree with knowledgable folks, but that advice to screw the die in to touch and then screw it in another half to full turn just isn't good for all rifles and all chambers. If your rifle has a tight chamber, then the advice is good. But, if you have a loose or large factory chamber, Chad's advice may well cause you to move the shoulder too far back for your chamber. That will lead to case head separation. You need to size it 'enough' to chamber easily, but not too much if you want max case life.

If you have a factory barrel, I'd suggest that the brass be neck or partial resized and fired until the case does not chamber easily. Then full length size (bump the shoulder back) enough that the case chambers easily, and then leave the sizing die lock ring set right there forever.

I have a 220 with a Douglas barrel with a real tight chamber. Full length sizing as Chad suggested still leaves a somewhat snug fit of the brass in the chamber. I have a 223 that had a factory barrel, and full length sizing as Chad suggested caused case head separations. So...the amount of sizing depends in large part on the size of your chamber.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Tips and Tricks for beginning reloader [Re: Korean Redneck] #5617507 02/24/15 05:09 PM
K
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
In regards to above about component selection, I have all the ingredients now to make some ammo. The exact choices were because of cost and/or simply availability. Don't know the exact details on quantity or powder, seat depth, etc., but a going to start by loading:

- 308 spent brass from facotry "match" ammo, mostly Hornady and Federal Premium shells.
- 168gr and 178gr Hornady match bthp (because it seems like a better value than SMK)
- Winchester large rifle primer
- Reloader 15 (narrowed down to this, Varget and IMR 4064. this was the first one I found)

Fireman, i will definitely keep my rifle around as I start this process. And I only have one 308 so that won't be an issue either.

Is there any pit falls to try and match a factory ammo my rifle likes? This is just a starting point I ratinalized to myself.
I've had good luck with the factory Hornady match 168gr ammo. I was initially planning on essentially copying that, mostly in regards to seating depths.

Re: Tips and Tricks for beginning reloader [Re: 603Country] #5617521 02/24/15 05:19 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: 603Country
I hate to disagree with knowledgable folks, but that advice to screw the die in to touch and then screw it in another half to full turn just isn't good for all rifles and all chambers. If your rifle has a tight chamber, then the advice is good. But, if you have a loose or large factory chamber, Chad's advice may well cause you to move the shoulder too far back for your chamber. That will lead to case head separation. You need to size it 'enough' to chamber easily, but not too much if you want max case life.

If you have a factory barrel, I'd suggest that the brass be neck or partial resized and fired until the case does not chamber easily. Then full length size (bump the shoulder back) enough that the case chambers easily, and then leave the sizing die lock ring set right there forever.

I have a 220 with a Douglas barrel with a real tight chamber. Full length sizing as Chad suggested still leaves a somewhat snug fit of the brass in the chamber. I have a 223 that had a factory barrel, and full length sizing as Chad suggested caused case head separations. So...the amount of sizing depends in large part on the size of your chamber.

That is correct. But for a beginner to figure this out is fairly complicated. A FL sizing keeps it simple.

[Linked Image]
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Tips and Tricks for beginning reloader [Re: Korean Redneck] #5617547 02/24/15 05:32 PM
K
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
Not sure if this is applicable or not but I think I have a tight chamber. My barrel was replaced by my gunsmith, if you must know I was too chicken to do it myself. He deliberately install my barrel for a tight chamber knowing what I was going to be shooting this rifle for.

I guess my current conclusion is to go ahead and half turn after bottom of the re-sizing die touches top of shell holder in the ram's highest position.
Does this half turn thing apply to the seating die?
My plan to set the seating die was to put in the factory ammo I like, raise the ram, lower die until it touches something, and then lower bullet seating depth knob to touch top of bullet. I assume doing that process gets me close to the same seating depth.
Also, is there a problem with me having to re-seat a bullet 2-4 initially to get my dies set?

Dang, btw it's moments like this I really love this forum.

Re: Tips and Tricks for beginning reloader [Re: Korean Redneck] #5617550 02/24/15 05:33 PM
G
Gone to Texas Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
G
I just started reloading this year. Like a knuckle head, I didn't read a single book, just bought everything and took off running.

Thank the good Lord I bought once fired brass off a nice member on here. I met him at his house. He took 1-2 hours to walk me through the whole process, what to watch out for, proper precautions and everything. I went home and loaded up 50 rounds, all fired and performed great.

I think the best thing you can do is find a buddy who reloads or ask someone on here if you could watch them load some rounds, maybe even try to use their press if they allow it.

You will make mistakes, which is fine, just fix them before you fire the round.

Re: Tips and Tricks for beginning reloader [Re: Korean Redneck] #5617581 02/24/15 05:44 PM
R
RiverRider Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Do NOT bottom out your seating die. You will end up crushing case necks while seating bullets.

[Linked Image]

"Arguing with you always makes me thirsty."

-Augustus McRae
Re: Tips and Tricks for beginning reloader [Re: Korean Redneck] #5617584 02/24/15 05:46 PM
R
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
R
KR, I think you really ought to slow down and do some reading. You're getting way ahead of yourself. Take your time, read a manual and absorb the information. It will save you lots of broken and ruined stuff.

[Linked Image]

-Augustus McRae
Re: Tips and Tricks for beginning reloader [Re: Korean Redneck] #5617596 02/24/15 05:53 PM
K
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
RR, i am one who tends to going into things cautiously. I still need to re-read in detail a few things before actually committing.
I've learned over the last few years, whether it be reloading or other things, that there must be a phase in the "research" where you have to sift through all the crap. I've read and seen a bunch, I'm just now at the phase where I sift through the crap before finalizing a game plan I feel comfortable attempting.
In my mind, still have some more homework and practice to do before I primer and fill with powder something to shoot out of my rifle. i appreciate the concern, but I'm usually too cautious about these types of things. Besides I have alot of factory ammo to shoot before actually reloading.

Re: Tips and Tricks for beginning reloader [Re: Korean Redneck] #5617602 02/24/15 05:58 PM
R
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Just tryin' to help, KR. I saw where you'd bent a depriming rod in the other thread and I figured you'd gotten in a rush or hadn't read the instructions that come with die sets (when they're new, at least). I made an assumption, so please pardon me if it was incorrect.

[Linked Image]

-Augustus McRae
Re: Tips and Tricks for beginning reloader [Re: Korean Redneck] #5617616 02/24/15 06:09 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
What I did was read through a loading manual before I bought anything and figured I could do it.

Then I bought the stuff and put it away. Read the manual one more time.

Then took the manual into my loading room with all the stuff and set it up as I read through it one more time. The dies will all come with detailed instructions on how to set them up read through the paper they supply and follow the steps. The steps in the loading equip will ensure your ammo meets specs. and will function. After you master that then you can worry about tailoring your sizing etc. specifically to your case.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Tips and Tricks for beginning reloader [Re: Korean Redneck] #5617617 02/24/15 06:10 PM
K
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
No worries. I truly mean I appreciate the concern. Alluding to your post on the other thread, one of my favorite sayings I've hear is...

A smart man learns from his mistakes, a wise man learns from others. On that breathe, please keep the comments coming.

Re: Tips and Tricks for beginning reloader [Re: Korean Redneck] #5618126 02/24/15 10:24 PM
B
blackcoal Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Find a mentor, even if you have to offer a bribe, good meal, tickets to a game, fifth of whatever, box of cigars, mow the fellows yard if necessary. You will be money ahead when it is hands-on learning rather than reading "snug it tight". Sort of like making love, you can read about it until you go blind but when the lights go out an experienced partner can/will help.

The Greatest Enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge.--Stephen Hawking
Re: Tips and Tricks for beginning reloader [Re: blackcoal] #5618200 02/24/15 10:52 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: blackcoal
Find a mentor, even if you have to offer a bribe, good meal, tickets to a game, fifth of whatever, box of cigars, mow the fellows yard if necessary. You will be money ahead when it is hands-on learning rather than reading "snug it tight". Sort of like making love, you can read about it until you go blind but when the lights go out an experienced partner can/will help.

roflmao

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Tips and Tricks for beginning reloader [Re: Korean Redneck] #5620868 02/26/15 01:45 AM
D
DStroud Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
I will also add in reloading it is wise to learn from others mistakes as you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

"Anyone taking up handloading necessarily plays with unknown factors and takes chances. But so does anyone who drives a car,goes to a cocktail party,eats in a restaurant,or gets married."

Jack O'Connor 1963
Re: Tips and Tricks for beginning reloader [Re: Korean Redneck] #5623913 02/27/15 05:31 PM
R
red bluff Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Two items that I use alot are the Lee Zip Trim for trimming cases and the Lyman E-ZEE case length gauge. Not that expensive and it saves time and trouble. For my autoloaders I run all of the sized cases through a case gauge prior to setting the primer if there is a problem you can address it before it becomes live ammo. I think it has already been addressed but notes or records can help avoid problems, I just make a list of the processes and check it off when complete. When I pick up a container after a delay I reference the list and keep going.

Re: Tips and Tricks for beginning reloader [Re: red bluff] #5623929 02/27/15 05:41 PM
K
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: red bluff
I think it has already been addressed but notes or records can help avoid problems, I just make a list of the processes and check it off when complete. When I pick up a container after a delay I reference the list and keep going.

If it was mentioned, then I missed it. This is a good idea. I think you just convinced me I need to get a dry erase board for a bench accessory. Possibly even a different one for reloading that I can write more permanent things as a reusable check list.
thx

Re: Tips and Tricks for beginning reloader [Re: Korean Redneck] #5650563 03/14/15 02:26 AM
J
Jordan249 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
J
I'm a large hands on learner, but with that said I read for hours on reloading. When I actually did my first reload, I then followed the RCBS guide they had online then with each step I watched 1-3 videos and did a bit more reading on that specific step while taking notes. I found this the best way to learn most things that are this detailed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide