Print Thread
Deer Activity #5617228 02/24/15 02:46 PM
D
Dadeo Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
D
Anyone else have a lack of deer activity.

Only have one or two deer coming to feeder now.

Have a ton of birds in the morning and ten coons, a possum, a rabbit and a bunch of mice at night.

Going to deal with the coons but strange there are no deer hanging around.

Re: Deer Activity [Re: Dadeo] #5617243 02/24/15 02:51 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
In my area of South Texas it is very green with the winter rains we have had. Deer are chasing winter weeds and grasses right now. My food plots are getting ahead of the deer. My protein consumption is off 75-80% right now from what it was in October. I had to turn my corn feeders down and move the feeding to before daylight and at dark to keep the corn from piling up. TC pic numbers are down about the same as feed consumption. Mother Natures is better at feeding deer than we are. I trap coons year round so my numbers are always very low.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Deer Activity [Re: Dadeo] #5617678 02/24/15 06:47 PM
D
Dadeo Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
D
That does make sense.

I even see wild clover back there , never seen it before.

The birds and other critters are sure enjoying the daily feed.

Thanks

Re: Deer Activity [Re: stxranchman] #5617719 02/24/15 07:26 PM
S
SniperRAB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
In my area of South Texas it is very green with the winter rains we have had. Deer are chasing winter weeds and grasses right now. My food plots are getting ahead of the deer. My protein consumption is off 75-80% right now from what it was in October. I had to turn my corn feeders down and move the feeding to before daylight and at dark to keep the corn from piling up. TC pic numbers are down about the same as feed consumption. Mother Natures is better at feeding deer than we are. I trap coons year round so my numbers are always very low.

And I am LOVING it, keeps my Bill to Lyssy & Eckel down for at least another 6-9 weeks banana

Re: Deer Activity [Re: Dadeo] #5618222 02/24/15 11:02 PM
H
HS2 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
For the last three years in my little spot in east Texas I don't see much activity during the deer season, then just after the season is over they start coming around.

Podcast: Reasoning Through the Bible
ReasoningThroughTheBible.com
Re: Deer Activity [Re: Dadeo] #5618487 02/25/15 12:32 AM
C
crooked horn Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
C
Northern Brown county/southern Callahan county, next to no deer activity at, or away from feeders. Neighbors and friends report the same. Can no longer blame it on acorns, or other browse. Appears almost certain that overall deer numbers are way down in our neck of the woods. I have confirmed through trail cams, and personal observation (I am the owner and spend the majority of my time there), that I have 3 does, 2 yearlings, and 1 buck that spend the majority of their time on my little 300 plus acre place. Another handful that venture onto it. For the math challenged, that's a deer per 50 acres. Myself, and one neighbor that is of the same mindset as myself, have started making drastic changes to our philosophy for upcoming season. Prior to this last season I would kill one or two does for my brothers, no longer going to do that. Neighbor, and his family, did not kill a deer this season.

Thank you...thank you very much
Re: Deer Activity [Re: Dadeo] #5618745 02/25/15 02:09 AM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
I've only got deer movement in one area consistently, at least according to the cameras. Tons of rescue grass and clover all around the area where they frequent. Oat fields are about 1-2 acres or so and don't have cameras set up there. Lots of tracks though. I do still have deer eating corn, just not as much. Hogs have vanished, at least for the time being. Turkey are coming around on a daily basis.

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: Deer Activity [Re: Dadeo] #5619056 02/25/15 04:22 AM
2012hvt Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
Haven't had a deer on camera at my protein feeder in 2 weeks! It's not very entertaining, but you got to know that Mother Nature is taking good care of em.

Re: Deer Activity [Re: Dadeo] #5619268 02/25/15 12:47 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
I have been watching deer grazing twigs, if you look at the low growth, you will see that most of it is starting to grow and some have many leaf buds. My plums even had a few flowers until this last freeze came through.

My oats look great, but getting a bit tall in areas, except for the mixed in clovers, those have been hit pretty hard, so I may be shredding of it ever drys out enough. Deer clean up the corn and protein out of the spincast feeder nearly every day, but I have it turned down to 3 seconds now. just starting to get more preferred browse starting IMO.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Deer Activity [Re: crooked horn] #5620154 02/25/15 08:39 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
Originally Posted By: crooked horn
Northern Brown county/southern Callahan county, next to no deer activity at, or away from feeders. Neighbors and friends report the same. Can no longer blame it on acorns, or other browse. Appears almost certain that overall deer numbers are way down in our neck of the woods. I have confirmed through trail cams, and personal observation (I am the owner and spend the majority of my time there), that I have 3 does, 2 yearlings, and 1 buck that spend the majority of their time on my little 300 plus acre place. Another handful that venture onto it. For the math challenged, that's a deer per 50 acres. Myself, and one neighbor that is of the same mindset as myself, have started making drastic changes to our philosophy for upcoming season. Prior to this last season I would kill one or two does for my brothers, no longer going to do that. Neighbor, and his family, did not kill a deer this season.
You're doing the right thing IMO. We don't have a high density either. No does have been killed on our 400 acres in 16 years. Not about to start now. Funny thing is just a few miles away I have a place I hunt that's covered in deer. The habitat looks identical.

Don't text and drive.
Re: Deer Activity [Re: Dadeo] #5620166 02/25/15 08:44 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
Every property is different. It amazes me when people will just automatically assume that you need to start hammering does without having done a census count. Some people try to justify their killing doe without knowing chit from shinola about a place.

Don't text and drive.
Re: Deer Activity [Re: Dadeo] #5620724 02/26/15 01:01 AM
N
n-all Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
N
Lots of deer on the wheat in the pm..bucks are at the feeders..patterns have changed since the season is over..we saw more deer this past season than last year..all of the 3.5 yo bucks we pasted on made the season.If we can get some rain in the spring antlers should be outstanding.

Re: Deer Activity [Re: n-all] #5621092 02/26/15 03:06 AM
C
crooked horn Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
C
Originally Posted By: n-all
Lots of deer on the wheat in the pm..bucks are at the feeders..patterns have changed since the season is over..we saw more deer this past season than last year..all of the 3.5 yo bucks we pasted on made the season.If we can get some rain in the spring antlers should be outstanding.

One of my best friends, also in Brown county, has a 20 acre winter wheat field. In years past, it would be nothing to see a 100 plus deer in it, now he says he rarely sees a half dozen. The deer are concentrated along the Colorado river, Pecan bayou, and Jim Ned Creek. Every step you take away from those areas, the less deer you will have. Up to around three years ago I had 2 family groups of does that bedded on my place, each with 6-8 deer, counting fawns. I would also regularly see 15-20 different individual bucks over the course of a season, as they moved thru from surrounding areas during the rut. This past season I saw 6.

Thank you...thank you very much
Re: Deer Activity [Re: crooked horn] #5621184 02/26/15 03:57 AM
K
KG68 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
All the deer must have migrated to Mills county. Our numbers are up everywhere I travel in north central and western Mills. We pulled our spin feeders three weeks ago as we do each year but there is plenty of new winter grass/forbes and brush is budding. Deer are in excellent shape here going into Spring.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide