Print Thread
Coyote/Hog Hunting near Lubbock #5613667 02/23/15 12:31 AM
T
tturaiderhunter Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
T
Hey guys I'm relatively new to the forum and also pretty inexperienced at varmint hunting. I'm currently an Ag student at Tech and waterfowl and predator hunt whenever I can. My hunting buddy loves predator hunting and I'm trying to get us some free land to varmint hunt on. I have got 2 places already but we've gone several times both day and night and haven't gotten anything. How would y'all suggest trying to find new places? (what type of area is good to hunt coyotes and hogs and how should I go about finding and getting those areas)

Thanks a bunch for helping a new guy!

Re: Coyote/Hog Hunting near Lubbock [Re: tturaiderhunter] #5614059 02/23/15 03:01 AM
D
D Red Raider Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
Fellow Raider, I grew up in the Lubbock area. I would suggest that a good way to make a connection with some local farmers to seek their permission to hunt their land would be to show up at a cotton gin office either early morning or mid afternoon. You'll find farmers there around the coffee pot. Make their acquaintance and explain what you'd like to do. Assure them you are a responsible hunter, etc.... I would point you to Acuff Coop Gin (east of Lbk on FM 40), Slaton coop Gin, or any of the other dozen or more cotton gins within 20 miles os Lbk. Hey, and one more thing... Speaking of Lubbock, there's a new website dedicated to highlighting all of the many live entertainment opportunities in Lubbock.. Try www.thelbk.com. Good luck on your quest for hunting opportunities.

So she says "sure Honey, I agree, you DO need a new deer rifle..." And that, boys, is how I ended up with new living room furniture!
Re: Coyote/Hog Hunting near Lubbock [Re: tturaiderhunter] #5616069 02/23/15 11:24 PM
L
LuckyDucker_TTU Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
L
I also grew up around here and Just as D Raider said get out, drive around and try and meet some of the local farmers. There are no hogs in the areas I hunt around lubbock but there are lots of coyotes. I like to hunt near the ponds that I have duck hunted during the year if possible because I noticed tons of tracks to and from those spots. I also like to hunt coyotes in and around places where there are tons of jackrabbit or prairie dogs. I typically like to hunt early morning right before sunrise and couple hours before the sun goes down. The people around here are extremely friendly with the exception of a few here and there. You'd be amazed at what kind of permission you can drum up just by having lunch and striking up a conversation with some of the folks at these small town diners. Just be respectful.

I like to drive around the back roads looking for spots. If i see someone I try and stop and talk to them if they dont seem to busy. One time after a busted duck hunt I happen to come across some cattle got out of their pasture. Well I found the nearest house, which were the owner happened to live, knocked on the door and told them what I had found and where they were. Turns out they had been searching all morning for these missing cows. Took him there and afterward he offered to take me duck hunting the next morning and showed me some more places to hunt. I really wasnt expecting anything in return only trying to help but it turned out well for both of us. Lots of good people out here and if you can help them in any way theyll return the favor. Good luck!

Re: Coyote/Hog Hunting near Lubbock [Re: tturaiderhunter] #5616824 02/24/15 04:10 AM
T
tturaiderhunter Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
T
Thanks for the help guys! That's how I found the spots that I have for duck hunting so i'll continue to do that. great idea about the gin too!

Guns Up

Re: Coyote/Hog Hunting near Lubbock [Re: tturaiderhunter] #5616894 02/24/15 05:01 AM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Like they said, get out of Lubbock and network the area small towns. Hunting is big business and income, but you can still find a place with a little work and lot of luck.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Coyote/Hog Hunting near Lubbock [Re: LuckyDucker_TTU] #5616980 02/24/15 11:52 AM
R
Rockfish Dave Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
Originally Posted By: LuckyDucker_TTU
I also grew up around here and Just as D Raider said get out, drive around and try and meet some of the local farmers. There are no hogs in the areas I hunt around lubbock but there are lots of coyotes. I like to hunt near the ponds that I have duck hunted during the year if possible because I noticed tons of tracks to and from those spots. I also like to hunt coyotes in and around places where there are tons of jackrabbit or prairie dogs. I typically like to hunt early morning right before sunrise and couple hours before the sun goes down. The people around here are extremely friendly with the exception of a few here and there. You'd be amazed at what kind of permission you can drum up just by having lunch and striking up a conversation with some of the folks at these small town diners. Just be respectful.

I like to drive around the back roads looking for spots. If i see someone I try and stop and talk to them if they dont seem to busy. One time after a busted duck hunt I happen to come across some cattle got out of their pasture. Well I found the nearest house, which were the owner happened to live, knocked on the door and told them what I had found and where they were. Turns out they had been searching all morning for these missing cows. Took him there and afterward he offered to take me duck hunting the next morning and showed me some more places to hunt. I really wasnt expecting anything in return only trying to help but it turned out well for both of us. Lots of good people out here and if you can help them in any way theyll return the favor. Good luck!

Great advice. Being friendly and a good neighbor goes a long ways to building mutually beneficial relationships. Just being a good neighbor has gotten me access to over 2000 additional acre's for varmint hunting (not that I can actually work that much land).

Best of luck to you and you choose a great school.

Re: Coyote/Hog Hunting near Lubbock [Re: tturaiderhunter] #5619456 02/25/15 02:51 PM
M
Mickey Phelan Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
M
When I was up there at school we hunted varmints and my suggestion and our best luck was south and west of town. I only personally killed one hog while I was there but it was towards tahoka although I saw a lot in that area

Re: Coyote/Hog Hunting near Lubbock [Re: tturaiderhunter] #5623209 02/27/15 06:26 AM
M
Mason Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
M
Very few hogs, and they roam. Out here now. I only hunt waterfowl and yotes on the cap, drive off it for everything else or west to the sand hills.

-Mason

Wreck 'em Tech!
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide