Print Thread
Chances of success hunting on brand new property? #5615515 02/23/15 07:38 PM
I
InsaneIrish Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
I
So, I (and a few friends) might have a chance to hunt some land this fall for feral hogs. This is not land that has feeders nor event wants the hogs there. The land is in North TX, and apparently has an Orchard on it.

I live in Missouri, and probably won't be able to make any trips down there to scout for sign or anything like that.

Is this scenario even worth setting up a 2-4 day hunt? Or is the concensus that I will put forth a lot of time and effort with no real (kill) returns?

I know it's hunting, and not a guarantee, and regions, weather, and situations are different. So, I guess what I should be asking, is this type of "drop in and hunt land" done down in TX with success? Or is a more long term, set up feeders, scout sign, and watch movements how I should be going about this?

thanks for the input.

Re: Chances of success hunting on brand new property? [Re: InsaneIrish] #5615562 02/23/15 08:00 PM
Double Naught Spy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Well, do they have pigs there already? That is sort of a vital question.

If pigs aren't already there, then I would say that your chances are slim to none. Not having feeders isn't beneficial, but being an orchard is, though the fruit is LOOONNNGGG gone.

There could be a resident pig population there. If so, then you would need to track and watch locations like water or other places where you find sign.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Chances of success hunting on brand new property? [Re: InsaneIrish] #5615577 02/23/15 08:04 PM
I
InsaneIrish Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
I
Yes, it is my understanding they have a pigs there and it is a problem.

So, you suggest scouting and looking for sign prior to the hunt.

Re: Chances of success hunting on brand new property? [Re: InsaneIrish] #5615704 02/23/15 08:53 PM
T
TXGH Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: InsaneIrish

Ask the owner if you send him some game cameras in the mail if he will put them up for you (label each camera and what area they go in and mark it on a google earth map... give it a few weeks and have him mail the sd cards back to you... Then you can see what areas have action, what times, and what does not...

Maybe he will be willing to do a small amount of leg work for you.

Joseph Trousdale
Host Texas Game Hunters TV
TXGameHunters.com

www.TXgamehunters.com
Re: Chances of success hunting on brand new property? [Re: InsaneIrish] #5615739 02/23/15 09:13 PM
Beaubien Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
What part of north Texas? I hunt in the pan handle and typically get at least a couple of pigs every trip. One a night is average for me.

Scout the area when you get there. Look for heavily used trails.

Tough question to answer but I suspect your chances are good.

IMHO your best chance it at night. If you can come up with some Milo soak it for a week or so before you go hunting. Put it out the morning you get there. If not soak some corn an d also bring some dry corn.

You may also want to pick up a dozen snares and set them out. You can google techniques. Secure them well. I can tell you from experience that a hog loses its mind when he feels it around his neck. I use mesquite bushes that have a thick base. Don't sit over a snare. It will do the work for you. Check it every morning. Hunt another area.

Pic of snared pig to whet your appetite

Untitled by Crawdaddy Mark, on Flickr

Last edited by Beaubien; 02/24/15 03:02 AM.

Re: Chances of success hunting on brand new property? [Re: InsaneIrish] #5616224 02/24/15 12:19 AM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
A lot will depend on area, how much preasure have been put on the hogs. As some have said, night hunt might be best. Whin ya get here get couplr bags of corn & scatter. Will take longer for hogs ta get it all up. Best wwishes flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Chances of success hunting on brand new property? [Re: InsaneIrish] #5616906 02/24/15 05:21 AM
Ramsey Offline
Pepe' Le Pew
Pepe' Le Pew
Are you and your buddies taking this hunt serious or just wanting to come down and have a good time.

Big Beckett!!
Re: Chances of success hunting on brand new property? [Re: InsaneIrish] #5617109 02/24/15 02:00 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Quote:

Well, knowing where to hunt based on knowing where the pigs are would really make a difference in the success of your hunt. If you hunt an area of the property with no pig traffic, how many pigs will you see? So yeah, if you don't have game camera images giving you any intel, no feeders, a scout/hunt through the property to look for sign would be a really good idea.

Re: Chances of success hunting on brand new property? [Re: InsaneIrish] #5617871 02/24/15 08:40 PM
I
InsaneIrish Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
I
Ramsey,

Both. We want to have a good time, but we come to hunt, not sit at camp and drink beer. wink

Re: Chances of success hunting on brand new property? [Re: InsaneIrish] #5617927 02/24/15 09:07 PM
Theblakester Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
How many acres is the property? Does the land owner know what part of the property the pigs hang out on the most? Does the land owner have any ballpark idea on how many pigs you're dealing with? 3 or 4? or are they coming in droves?
Knowing where on the property the pigs are frequenting is a must, but if you're only going to be there for a few days and it's a smallish property and the land owner already knows where the hogs are at, then scouting may run them off during your stay.

Fast paced gregarious society forgets the healing power of solitude. It's worked thousands of years. Casting a line/gazing into a campfire/sitting in a blind after a long week is medicine for the soul. The serenity and peacefulness of it all is majestic.
Re: Chances of success hunting on brand new property? [Re: InsaneIrish] #5618067 02/24/15 09:59 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Just bite the bullet and come hunt. Your chances are better than 50:50 because of the claim that hogs are there. Go for it.

Re: Chances of success hunting on brand new property? [Re: Double Naught Spy] #5620965 02/26/15 02:15 AM
B
Beckett Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Make sure you rent some good hand held thermals from BearClaw here on the forum. It will double your success rate.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide