476397 Topics
6249666 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#5612208 - 02/21/15 09:21 PM Plinking Range Nirvana - PIC HEAVY
Atlas Offline
Woodsman

I tend to go a bit overboard, but this forum is full of passionate people for hunting and shooting, so I will share and maybe you have some ideas I have not thought of or can use some of mine.

First my motivation, of course for my own enjoyment, but also for my kids, we can spend and afternoon and burn up a brick or two of 22's. They really liked "reactive" targets, so that is what I've tried to focus on - something that spins, shatters, gets knocked down or makes a good sound (steel) when hit.

Started about 2 years ago, I had a stock pond dug, and instead of having the dirt hauled away, I had him build these berms about 125 yards long, 15 to 20 yards wide and about 6 to 8 foot high. Shooting direction oriented so that my back property line is another 700+ yards wooded behind the end berm, then a bayou, then literally miles of wooded area and open rice fields. Safety first.

In a semi-rual area with neighbors behind the shooting area a couple hundred yards away, so we shoot mostly suppressed. Mostly 22's (90% of the time), but also 300 aac blackout and some suppressed 45/9mm.

here is the entire range from the shooter's point of view. All the targets for the most part of made of scrap wood, old paint or extra parts. Ignore all the standing water, this was last month after a week of solid rain. It drained off in a couple days (the berms were actually built with a couple drainage pipes beneath them where there are low points).

At about 10 yards I made this stand out of scrap wood/paint and got the bowling pins from an nearby alley. They sell them cheap when they are too beat up.

On the right you have this clay stand I welded out of scrap rebar. The clips are plastic and I found them online.

I have various cans spray painted white that are great to shoot. When they are too beat up or rusted, I throw them out and put new ones. Putting them on the wood it is satisfying to knock them down / off and it gives and even surface to set them up on.

More pins at about 15 yrds:

Pistol target flips up with 9/45/300blk out. With 22's just gives a nice metal ping:

22 target with spoons that flip up, these are fun and a bit challenging at about 20-25 yards

A clay target holder made of scrap 2x4's. They are held with bent coat hangers. I put old garden hose on the outside to use push pins to hold the balloons. Before we go, I blow a couple garbage bags of balloons up with the air compressor. This is the best way I found to secure them. If you put them on the ground, they pop and if you don't pin them, they blow around too much.

I did a separate post on this. It is an old metal ladder with a 2x4 along it with door hinges then attached to the scrap 2x4 parts painted white. You shoot the scrap 2x4 sections standing up and they flip down with the hinges. When they are too chewed up, I go put new ones on. The small diet cola bottles are handing and are spray great when hit

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." ~ Thomas Jefferson

#5612210 - 02/21/15 09:22 PM Re: Plinking Range Nirvana - PIC HEAVY [Re: Atlas]
Atlas Offline
Woodsman

What is this you ask? The most awesome DIY reactive target ever. An old metal tiki torch holder with a tin can with holes drilled wired on. You put a 99 cent can of spray paint in the tiki holder and a chunk of firestarter in the tin can (light the firestarter and drop it in the tin can and let get going for a couple minutes before you shoot). When you shoot the spray paint, it sprays out and creates an amazing fireball. I have 6 of these on the range now at various distances up to 100 yards. We do this safely, this is far from the firing line and I have at least 2 fire extinguishers on hand. But actually, the flame is mostly consumed before it hits the ground and is not loud at all (unlike tannerite).

This is at about 30 yards and is for hanging 2 liters, which react great when hit, especially when hanging. Plus balloons and I've hung old saw blades and other things to get them off the ground and swing around

Then I have a number of spinning targets. The bowling pin one is bad and does not hardly swing at all, but the ones with a weight at the bottom and the 2 circle rifle one spin great. They are in buckets with concrete in them with pvc pipes sticking up to hold the targets. This gets them off the ground out of the grass and you can move them around. I have them at various distances from 40 yards out to about 80 yards. They were all orange or green when bought, but I found white is easiest to see so I just spray painted them.

I have 2 of these target stands; one at 50 yards and the other at 65 yards (50 yards for sight in work, 65 yards distance from my blind to feeder). The top flips up and you can put in a new piece of plywood when too chewed up. I mostly staple or stick splatter targets for better visibility. Plus I use the sides with old garden hose and push pins for more balloons and the top for 2 liters.

I have 2 "plate racks" at about 75 and 85 yards. I swing by goodwill and get the plates really cheap and stand them up in a groove between to piece of wood. They really shatter great when hit.

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." ~ Thomas Jefferson

#5612213 - 02/21/15 09:23 PM Re: Plinking Range Nirvana - PIC HEAVY [Re: Atlas]
Atlas Offline
Woodsman

Lastly, at about 110 yrds I have this steel target. Great to hear that steel when you hit it.

Here is what the shooting area looks like, the tent is from harbor freight and I put old carpet down. I built the shooting bench and rifle rack as well.

#5612229 - 02/21/15 09:34 PM Re: Plinking Range Nirvana - PIC HEAVY [Re: Atlas]
kmon1 Online   content
junior

Loc: Texas
Looks like lots of fun.

Shoot at a range with almost no grass, we play golf on it. Fun to have golfball races from about 20 yards to the 100 yard berm with 22's

RULES for using the TRADING POST
http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/u..._PO#Post1959111

#5612259 - 02/21/15 10:01 PM Re: Plinking Range Nirvana - PIC HEAVY [Re: Atlas]
dogcatcher Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Abilene or on the road...
cheers

_______ Old style calls for today's outdoorsman_________

#5612290 - 02/21/15 10:19 PM Re: Plinking Range Nirvana - PIC HEAVY [Re: Atlas]
jlbain94 Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Crandall, TX
Wow! And I thought my old beat up metal dog food bin with a bullseye painted on it was pretty neat. Nice setup sir!

#5612335 - 02/21/15 11:02 PM Re: Plinking Range Nirvana - PIC HEAVY [Re: Atlas]
STXHO Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: South Texas
Very Nice

#5612393 - 02/22/15 12:14 AM Re: Plinking Range Nirvana - PIC HEAVY [Re: Atlas]
one73maro Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: DFW
Very nice set up! That looks like tons of fun.

#5612460 - 02/22/15 06:48 AM Re: Plinking Range Nirvana - PIC HEAVY [Re: Atlas]
breadman Offline
Tracker

Loc: huntsville texas
better pack a lunch when you go to this mans range !! very nice !

#5612461 - 02/22/15 06:49 AM Re: Plinking Range Nirvana - PIC HEAVY [Re: one73maro]
takewhatyoucan64 Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Sneaking Up On You
That's freaking awesome clap

#5612596 - 02/22/15 09:02 AM Re: Plinking Range Nirvana - PIC HEAVY [Re: Atlas]
WLR Hunter Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: Erath County
That's incredible. Well done for all the effort and creativity you put into that - awesome!

#5612697 - 02/22/15 10:16 AM Re: Plinking Range Nirvana - PIC HEAVY [Re: Atlas]
JRJ6 Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Dallas, TX
That's awesome!!! I bet you guys had a great time
cheers

Edited by JRJ6 (02/22/15 10:16 AM)

#5613286 - 02/22/15 03:27 PM Re: Plinking Range Nirvana - PIC HEAVY [Re: dogcatcher]
Lazyman Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Hamilton
Originally Posted By: dogcatcher
cheers

#5613515 - 02/22/15 05:16 PM Re: Plinking Range Nirvana - PIC HEAVY [Re: Atlas]
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Murphy, TX Dickens county
Outstanding. Very creative. Well done. cheers

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920

#5614300 - 02/22/15 10:48 PM Re: Plinking Range Nirvana - PIC HEAVY [Re: Atlas]
shumpertdavid Offline
Woodsman

That is a heck of a lot of shooting fun right there. Congrats on something that is fun for the whole family.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide