Print Thread
Wild Hog dressing #5609425 02/20/15 12:33 PM
I
inkedagent Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
I
Okay, so being a noob at Feral Hog hunting, and hunting in general, I have to ask: dressing out the animal, if you catch the intestines or bladder, do you throw out the meat that the spillage touches?

Now I do an insane amount of research online, almost obsessive. What I come to see is that people are divided on the issue. After watching a ton of YouTube videos, I have seen people be delicate around the bladder and intestines, or Ive seen people knick the bladder, but wash out the cavity. From what I've gathered, washing out the cavity seems to be fine, even though it is generally agreed on not to knick out the bladder or intestines. The advice to not let urine or feces hit the meat hails from the golden oldie days when you couldn't get animals on ice or rinse them very well. Given the state of the meat industry in stores today, I highly doubt that we all don't get some extra BS from our store bought meat. So what is the consensus? Do your best but if poop happens, hose it out?

I go on my first Hog hunt with my woman in April. Looking forward to it! flag

Somewhere, a true believer is training to kill you. He doesn't care about time, comfort, or mercy. He only knows the Cause, and that it's his home. He will not tire, slow, or quit until he wins. Are you prepared to fight him? Are you prepared to win?
Re: Wild Hog dressing [Re: inkedagent] #5609484 02/20/15 01:11 PM
R
Rob M Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
just wash it out good if that happens.

[Linked Image]
Re: Wild Hog dressing [Re: inkedagent] #5609806 02/20/15 04:09 PM
E
Erich Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E
x2....wash it out good....maybe trim off the top layer of what it touches if you want to be extra cautious. done it plenty of times.

Outdoorsman
Re: Wild Hog dressing [Re: inkedagent] #5609859 02/20/15 04:37 PM
Lance Vick Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Really you do not have to gut a hog
You can clean a hog take backstraps and quarters where he lays without getting dirt or blood on the meat
Lay hog on belly spread legs out so hog supports himself cut a horizontal line down to front shoulder
Then cut vertical to past rear hips then cut horizontal across the hips then take and filet left side
Cut down ribs so the square flap hangs over the side of pig thanks out the left backstrap then do the same on right side ,then fold flap back up lay pig on side skin the hind quarter (helps if someone holds leg up)
Either cut knee with knife or saw then cut around hip to ball joint quarter comes right off put in cooler
Then do front quarter the same,lay hog over and repeat on other side
And your done
I have deboning quarters at home, however next pig I'm just going to debone quarters into a ziplock bag
In the field then take home and grind

Contact Lance@texashuntingland.com
www.texashuntingland.com
Deadend Outfitters
903-312-0609 Lance Vick
Fun begins where the road ends,
www.deadendoutfitters.com
www.guideonlakefork.com
Re: Wild Hog dressing [Re: inkedagent] #5610184 02/20/15 07:46 PM
I
inkedagent Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
I
Thanks folks! I also seen a video where a guy didn't gut the hog and removed everything including the rib racks. I shoulda been doing this longer. flag

Somewhere, a true believer is training to kill you. He doesn't care about time, comfort, or mercy. He only knows the Cause, and that it's his home. He will not tire, slow, or quit until he wins. Are you prepared to fight him? Are you prepared to win?
Re: Wild Hog dressing [Re: inkedagent] #5611404 02/21/15 03:15 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
98% of my hog hunting been on public land. Learned years ago, hog down, easier ta just cut back strap, quarters, roll over repeat. No gutting, unless ya want heart, liver or tenderloins. Alot easier, less ta mess with, specialy way back in woods. Best Wishes up for your service. flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Wild Hog dressing [Re: inkedagent] #5611507 02/21/15 04:48 PM
I
inkedagent Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
I
The only thing I wanna leave is a spine, head, and gut pile. Rib racks! Woooo!

Re: Wild Hog dressing [Re: inkedagent] #5611519 02/21/15 05:02 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted By: inkedagent
The only thing I wanna leave is a spine, head, and gut pile. Rib racks! Woooo!

Get mine at the grocery store. They leave Tenderloins on ribs, least how i was taught. One of the advantages of lease, guided, or invite hunts ya can drive up ta hog & not back pack. cheers Your military experience will give ya edge on back packing them ribs out on public land, just lave tender loins on inside of ribs. flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Wild Hog dressing [Re: inkedagent] #5611612 02/21/15 06:28 PM
I
inkedagent Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
I
All I need is the practice! I seen this video where this dude didn't gut the pig, but separated the ribs off the spine with hatchets. Pretty ingenious. Started with the back straps, took the quarters, the uses the the hatchets to cut off the ribs. 'Merica flag

Re: Wild Hog dressing [Re: inkedagent] #5611665 02/21/15 07:15 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
cheers You got link ta video? Be great for those wanting ta learn short cuts for ribs. On public land take the backstraps not much left on the bones & make in light & simple for getting it back ta truck & ice. flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Wild Hog dressing [Re: inkedagent] #5611697 02/21/15 07:49 PM
I
inkedagent Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
I
http://youtu.be/_DgbtPDHIUw

It was demonstrating RaptoRazor knives. I just watched it for the field dressing tips.

Re: Wild Hog dressing [Re: inkedagent] #5611716 02/21/15 08:09 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
cheers Good tips always nice ta know. Been back packing hogs out of the woods since they opened public land down the road. Whin ya few miles back wondering about the woods on solo hunt at dark-thirty & drop two good size hogs. Ya think light, went back ta house, called friend, & took military back pack. Friends help. cheers But a lot easier back packing. Got a lighter back pack bye adidas mesh type, carry it with. Used ta work at grochery store, cutting meat. Best Wishes, & whin ya get back ta States. Enjoy the hunt. up for your service flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Wild Hog dressing [Re: inkedagent] #5611748 02/21/15 08:37 PM
I
inkedagent Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
I
Oh I will, and thank you for your support. flag

Re: Wild Hog dressing [Re: Lance Vick] #5612716 02/22/15 04:28 PM
C
cazador1022 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: Lance Vick
You can clean a hog take backstraps and quarters where he lays without getting dirt or blood on the meat
Lay hog on belly spread legs out so hog supports himself cut a horizontal line down to front shoulder
Then cut vertical to past rear hips then cut horizontal across the hips then take and filet left side
Cut down ribs so the square flap hangs over the side of pig thanks out the left backstrap then do the same on right side ,then fold flap back up lay pig on side skin the hind quarter (helps if someone holds leg up)
Either cut knee with knife or saw then cut around hip to ball joint quarter comes right off put in cooler
And your done
I have deboning quarters at home, however next pig I'm just going to debone quarters into a ziplock bag

WHAT HE SAID +1

Re: Wild Hog dressing [Re: cazador1022] #5612760 02/22/15 04:46 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted By: cazador1022
Originally Posted By: Lance Vick
And your done

WHAT HE SAID +1

cheers Lance explains it pretty good. On Public land keep the holves on till get ta house, case stopped by GW. It alot easier if ya not ablr ta drive up to it. Lease or at house ya can drive up to it, were can cool down & take your time. flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Wild Hog dressing [Re: inkedagent] #5612909 02/22/15 05:59 PM
Theblakester Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog

Fast paced gregarious society forgets the healing power of solitude. It's worked thousands of years. Casting a line/gazing into a campfire/sitting in a blind after a long week is medicine for the soul. The serenity and peacefulness of it all is majestic.
Re: Wild Hog dressing [Re: inkedagent] #5616956 02/24/15 08:39 AM
I
inkedagent Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
I
Awesome pictures. See a couple posts up where I linked a video that shows how to remove a rib rack with hatchets. Never mind the fact that it's selling a skinning knife, was just an interesting way of removing rib racks without gutting. I'm always up for learning!

Re: Wild Hog dressing [Re: Theblakester] #5617402 02/24/15 04:13 PM
T
Taylor202 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
T
Originally Posted By: Theblakester

That's exactly how I did my last one. Two things to note;
1. Make sure your knife is very sharp and high quality.
2. The rear quarters for me took a bit of sawing and what not to get off, then again Im still pretty new.

Re: Wild Hog dressing [Re: inkedagent] #5617608 02/24/15 06:00 PM
I
inkedagent Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
I
I got to find my skinning set and see if it's even worth a damn. Been sitting in storage a few years now.

Re: Wild Hog dressing [Re: inkedagent] #5620430 02/25/15 10:36 PM
C
cantcatch5 Online Content
Woodsman
Online Content
Woodsman
C
People may say I'm crazy (they'd be right) but if I have time I pressure wash the hog at the car wash prior to cleaning. The hogs on my lease are always covered in a caked on fine dust of mud and feces. It is a lot cleaner processing after giving them a shower. I don't always do this but it definitely helps, otherwise there is a fine dust coming off the animal as I clean it getting on the meat and in my lungs.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide