476343 Topics
6248788 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#5609336 - 02/19/15 11:41 PM New Thermal Scope
Monster_Raxx Offline
Bird Dog

Can't wait to get out in the woods and test it out on some hogs or coyotes. I took a few pics through the scope with my phone just to show. It's a little fuzzy through the phone. Download better pics and video later. It's a FLIR RS32

#5611328 - 02/21/15 08:18 AM Re: New Thermal Scope [Re: Monster_Raxx]
Shawheel Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: Arizona
up

#5611367 - 02/21/15 08:54 AM Re: New Thermal Scope [Re: Monster_Raxx]
Rockfish Dave Offline
Woodsman

Loc: Texas
Congratulations!

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

#5611430 - 02/21/15 09:40 AM Re: New Thermal Scope [Re: Monster_Raxx]
Double Naught Spy Online   content
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Forestburg, Montague Cnty, TX
While I know you are really going to like thermal, I think you will find the various color iterations are not all that terribly useful for hunting purposes. Most people end up running simple white hot or black hot. However, play around with it, and see what YOU like. I think you will discover there is a lot more going on around you than you realized.

#5634122 - 03/04/15 01:56 PM Re: New Thermal Scope [Re: Monster_Raxx]
Fishman1963 Offline
Green Horn

I ordered my first thermal and waiting on delivery (2.5 weeks). I got a IR Hunter MKII 2.5 x 20 x 35mm 640X480. Post some field pics/vids when you get a chance and let us know how it went! Congrats!

#5634185 - 03/04/15 02:34 PM Re: New Thermal Scope [Re: Monster_Raxx]
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Lewisville, TX
You will love it! I use this model and night hunting isn't even fair with this thing!

www.DallasReloads.com
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL

#5634457 - 03/04/15 05:30 PM Re: New Thermal Scope [Re: Monster_Raxx]
Txkiller Offline
the terminator

Loc: Hwy 380
Prepare to lose a lot of sleep!

#5639045 - 03/07/15 12:03 AM Re: New Thermal Scope [Re: Monster_Raxx]
Mountain Lion Offline
Outdoorsman

Loc: Montague / DFW
This is my DREAM scope! But as a medical student I simply cannot afford one. Those yotes won't even see it coming. Excited for you!

#5639735 - 03/07/15 01:16 PM Re: New Thermal Scope [Re: Monster_Raxx]
ccoker Online   content
Veteran Tracker

cool..
I have a FLIR weapon sight coming along with an Eotech handheld
Already have a Pulsar handheld in..
can't wait to get out in the field

Disclosure statement
Pro Staff - Silencer Shop
Dealer - Armasight and Steiner Optics
Affiliated with Trijicon, Wilson Combat and Crux Suppressors

#6203816 - 02/29/16 11:25 AM Re: New Thermal Scope [Re: Fishman1963]
Fishman1963 Offline
Green Horn

Update: Here are some pics of the new scope and results.

#6203846 - 02/29/16 11:42 AM Re: New Thermal Scope [Re: Monster_Raxx]
Blue Tick Offline
Woodsman

Loc: Tomball, Tx
I am really wanting to get thermal for my pig slayer. Honestly, I'm torn between the weapon mounted sight or just having a thermal monocular for scouting and then having a digital system on the weapon for actual shooting.
lonestarskullworks@gmail.com

#6203900 - 02/29/16 12:21 PM Re: New Thermal Scope [Re: Blue Tick]
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Originally Posted By: Blue Tick
I am really wanting to get thermal for my pig slayer. Honestly, I'm torn between the weapon mounted sight or just having a thermal monocular for scouting and then having a digital system on the weapon for actual shooting.

I have tried both set-ups, and the thermal scope is the way to go, IMO. I run a FLIR RS32 1x-5x thermal scope, and it works great for night hunting. The issue I have with a night vision set up is the contrast, or clarity. If you are out in an open field hunting, the NV will work fine, since there is not other "clutter" effecting it. But when you get in the brush and woods, the clarity is diminished. We used a thermal spotter to find a rabbit, and I had trouble shooting the rabbit using NV (PVS22 weapon mounted with IR illumination), but would transition back to the thermal spotter to find the rabbit again. It was behind some brush, and I could not "see" the rabbit with the NV. But with the thermal, it was glowing and easily visible. After these issues, with several other similar encounters, the thermal is the way to go. I have been using my FLIR RS32 with great success and easily and quickly engage targets at night. I can see field mice running around with the thermal, it is that sensitive.

www.DallasReloads.com
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL

#6203937 - 02/29/16 12:43 PM Re: New Thermal Scope [Re: ChadTRG42]
Blue Tick Offline
Woodsman

Loc: Tomball, Tx
Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42

I have tried both set-ups, and the thermal scope is the way to go, IMO. I run a FLIR RS32 1x-5x thermal scope, and it works great for night hunting. The issue I have with a night vision set up is the contrast, or clarity. If you are out in an open field hunting, the NV will work fine, since there is not other "clutter" effecting it. But when you get in the brush and woods, the clarity is diminished. We used a thermal spotter to find a rabbit, and I had trouble shooting the rabbit using NV (PVS22 weapon mounted with IR illumination), but would transition back to the thermal spotter to find the rabbit again. It was behind some brush, and I could not "see" the rabbit with the NV. But with the thermal, it was glowing and easily visible. After these issues, with several other similar encounters, the thermal is the way to go. I have been using my FLIR RS32 with great success and easily and quickly engage targets at night. I can see field mice running around with the thermal, it is that sensitive.

The FLIR line is 1 that I have been looking at as well as the Pulsar stuff and the Armasight Predator I think it is. I've been told ATN has some new stuff coming out in April that is supposed to be priced really well. How did you go about sighting your setup in? Is it on a QD mount, if so, can you take on and off and still keep your 0?
lonestarskullworks@gmail.com

#6204091 - 02/29/16 02:35 PM Re: New Thermal Scope [Re: Monster_Raxx]
ddr225 Offline
Bird Dog

IMO having a weapon mount is the way to go but its pure joy to have a handheld too for scouting. I killed many big lone boars from driving around scouting with the handheld. With that said, I have both for sale! grin

#6204343 - 02/29/16 05:34 PM Re: New Thermal Scope [Re: Blue Tick]
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42

The FLIR line is 1 that I have been looking at as well as the Pulsar stuff and the Armasight Predator I think it is. I've been told ATN has some new stuff coming out in April that is supposed to be priced really well. How did you go about sighting your setup in? Is it on a QD mount, if so, can you take on and off and still keep your 0?

Sighting it in took me 2 shots last time I zero'd the scope, and I did it in the dark. On my AR-15 in 300 blk out, I pulled the bolt carrier out, and firmly held the rifle in place. I looked through the bore at 25 yards and I centered up the digital cross hairs. Once I got it where I thought was close, I fired 1 round. I hit high left by about 1.5", made an adjustment based on that, moved back to 50 yards, and fired 1 more round. It hit slightly left, and elevation was perfect, made one click right, and it was good.

The FLIR is a QD type mount. I have not taken it off and remounted it to see if it holds zero, but I want to try it.

www.DallasReloads.com
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide