facebook
Forum Stats
60482 Members
45 Forums
476319 Topics
6248296 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Topic Options
#5607651 - 02/18/15 10:38 PM Where to start for coyotes?
WHACK&STACK Offline
Tracker

Loc: University of Arkansas
Hey y'all I have to question. Since nothing is in season right now, I was looking to kill some coyotes and bobcats. I just don't know where to start. Let me explain the property. We have about a 10 acre field, a lake, and multiple feeders. I know how to call and everything but I don't know where to get. Where would yall go or should I go everywhere? Also, should I hunt at dark or early morning/late evening? Sorry I am kinda new to this! I would appreciate any help given. Thanks!

#5607890 - 02/19/15 08:07 AM Re: Where to start for coyotes? [Re: WHACK&STACK]
rexmitchell Offline
Pro Tracker

Time of day I would vary. Make sure you are down wind of where you are looking to shoot. I'm a huge fan of spotlights but sometime with them you just have to get lucky and put it on the yote. I'd try calling early morning/late evening.

#5607956 - 02/19/15 08:49 AM Re: Where to start for coyotes? [Re: WHACK&STACK]
Deadend Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Mineola,TX
Originally Posted By: WHACK&STACK
Hey y'all I have to question. Since nothing is in season right now, I was looking to kill some coyotes and bobcats. I just don't know where to start. Let me explain the property. We have about a 10 acre field, a lake, and multiple feeders. I know how to call and everything but I don't know where to get. Where would yall go or should I go everywhere? Also, should I hunt at dark or early morning/late evening? Sorry I am kinda new to this! I would appreciate any help given. Thanks!

Hogs are in season smile

Late evening and dark
Sit according to wind to minimize your scent trail

#5608086 - 02/19/15 09:57 AM Re: Where to start for coyotes? [Re: WHACK&STACK]
Western Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Wise County Texas
How many acres total? 10? if so, that is enough room for one set.

As he others said, let the wind dictate where you set up. On the edge of a hill as a backdrop, is always good. I like evenings more than mornings for a couple reasons. 1, you can walk in with less odds of detection and 2, the yotes have been asleep most the day and are likely hungry.

Try to hunt looking towards where you think they spend the day, even though that doesn't always work, you can likely bet they aren't bedded in an open field if there is other cover around, even drainage ditches or cut crops)

Count on them approaching from downwind, 99% of the time. Also be ready for grey fox, they usually come in pretty quick, a yote will too at times, or they will take 10-15 minutes. I usually call for 20 minutes or less. (for yotes, bobcat up to 30 min +)

EDIT: Park and walk as far as you can to call from the vehicle, they know what that sound means.

Edited by Western (02/19/15 09:58 AM)

The first 5 day's after the weekend, are the hardest....

Dennis

#5608559 - 02/19/15 02:42 PM Re: Where to start for coyotes? [Re: WHACK&STACK]
WHACK&STACK Offline
Tracker

Ok thanks for the help! I appreciate it

#5608616 - 02/19/15 03:16 PM Re: Where to start for coyotes? [Re: WHACK&STACK]
Ramsey Offline
Pepe' Le Pew

Loc: Grayson County
Great advise above, especially the edit remark from Dennis

#5609560 - 02/20/15 08:00 AM Re: Where to start for coyotes? [Re: WHACK&STACK]
REALKILLER Online   content
Tracker

Bait them dudes. Kill ya a pig and set it up in your favor. Let it simmer and wait. Sometimes coyotes are call shy if been called before. Night time is good too. The bobcat thang is alittle more tricky. They will respond to calls but are a little more sneaky on the call. I see more bobcats just moseying through the woods in complete silence. I wont even shoot a bobcat or fox anymore, but I hate a coyote. those suckers just look guilty kinda like some noisy crows. The best luck ive had with coyotes is to listen to the coyotes in the evening when they crawl out of there din and howl. Then locate the general area the din is at. Get your wind right and use the coyote pup in distress call. Fox Pro has this programmed. They will sometimes almost run right over you. I've never killed nor seen a mountain lion, but he better pucker up if I do because If I finally see one, hes dead already and doesn't know it. What a trophy that would be.

#5610280 - 02/20/15 02:47 PM Re: Where to start for coyotes? [Re: WHACK&STACK]
WHACK&STACK Offline
Tracker

Ok thanks! I have a lot of good things about using the coyote pup in distress call. We do have a mountain lion in our small county that has yet to be found so I may need to be on my toes for that one lol!

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide