Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Open Carry ?? #5607113 02/18/15 11:48 PM
B
Buzzsaw Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
B
Not asking for any opinions on good or bad, beat that to death already.

My question is , to carry a gun "open" do you still have to have a CHL?? Been asked this but not heard the correct answer..

Thanks

Re: Open Carry ?? [Re: Buzzsaw] #5607192 02/19/15 12:26 AM
G
GLC Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
G
There is no legal open carry law as of now that I know of, only CHL. When and if the laws are changed then we will know.
I was speaking of handguns because the reference of a CHL.

Last edited by GLC; 02/19/15 03:23 AM. Reason: handguns

Re: Open Carry ?? [Re: Buzzsaw] #5607193 02/19/15 12:26 AM
G
GLC Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
G
In Texas that is.

Re: Open Carry ?? [Re: GLC] #5607252 02/19/15 12:56 AM
T
Toxarch Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: GLC
There is no legal open carry law as of now that I know of, only CHL. When and if the laws are changed then we will know.

There is for long guns.

It is far more important to be able to hit the target than it is to haggle over who makes a weapon or who pulls a trigger.

� Dwight D. Eisenhower
Re: Open Carry ?? [Re: Buzzsaw] #5607285 02/19/15 01:21 AM
T
TFF Caribou Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
T
No. Opn carry of long guns in Texas requires no license of any kind.

The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference. -George Washington
Re: Open Carry ?? [Re: Buzzsaw] #5607295 02/19/15 01:27 AM
O
okbowhunter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
O
Not in Texas.
I think Texas needs to catch up with Oklahoma on this. In Oklahoma you can open carry if you have your CHL.
Also, it is lawful for a person who is licensed to carry a handgun under the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act to store it out of view in a locked vehicle when the vehicle is left unattended on school property. (first I said not in Texas but I think maybe it is legal after googling it)

Hate to say it but Oklahoma has kind of been outdoing Texas on gun laws.

Last edited by okbowhunter; 02/19/15 01:29 AM.
Re: Open Carry ?? [Re: Buzzsaw] #5607367 02/19/15 02:00 AM
T
Tumbleweeds Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
TFF caribou has it right You can open carry a rifle. there is no license required for that. The open carry law being pushed here in Texas is for the open carry of handguns.

"I once shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know." - Groucho Marks
Re: Open Carry ?? [Re: Buzzsaw] #5607498 02/19/15 03:06 AM
R
RiverRider Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
R
I'd like to be able to exercise my God-given and "constitutionally protected" right to carry what I please in the manner I please without being arrested or questioned. I doubt I'll be able to do that anytime real soon though. Maybe the legislature will get it right this year. You won't see me holding my breath, though.

[Linked Image]

"Arguing with you always makes me thirsty."

-Augustus McRae
Re: Open Carry ?? [Re: Tumbleweeds] #5607573 02/19/15 03:41 AM
B
Buzzsaw Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted By: Tumbleweeds
TFF caribou has it right You can open carry a rifle. there is no license required for that. The open carry law being pushed here in Texas is for the open carry of handguns.

I should have clarified, IF, Texas passes open carry, will a CHL even be needed anymore?

I had a Constable who teaches CHL classes ask me this, I think he is worried if no more licensing is required , his beer money business might be over with.

Re: Open Carry ?? [Re: Buzzsaw] #5607590 02/19/15 03:51 AM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
If "open carry" passes, doesn't that take the "concealed" out of CHL?

And since there is no license required to own a handgun, why require one to carry it in open view once "concealed" is no longer a requirement.

Just saying.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Open Carry ?? [Re: Buzzsaw] #5607601 02/19/15 03:56 AM
G
Geezer Ranger Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
You can bet that if open carry passes there will be some kind of license/permit required. It's all about the money. If CHL is replaced by open carry you can bet they will figure out some way to line the State coffers.

texas I am allergic to stupidity. You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts someone.
Re: Open Carry ?? [Re: RiverRider] #5607702 02/19/15 06:04 AM
T
tenyearsgone Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: RiverRider
I'd like to be able to exercise my God-given and "constitutionally protected" right to carry what I please in the manner I please without being arrested or questioned. I doubt I'll be able to do that anytime real soon though. Maybe the legislature will get it right this year. You won't see me holding my breath, though.

There's no such thing as a God-given right to arm yourself.

Re: Open Carry ?? [Re: Buzzsaw] #5607744 02/19/15 11:20 AM
O
okbowhunter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
O
Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw
Originally Posted By: Tumbleweeds

I should have clarified, IF, Texas passes open carry, will a CHL even be needed anymore?

I had a Constable who teaches CHL classes ask me this, I think he is worried if no more licensing is required , his beer money business might be over with.

My bet is they would do it the same as Oklahoma did you must have your CHL to be allowed to Open Carry. But I don't know if Texas will pass this.

Re: Open Carry ?? [Re: okbowhunter] #5607754 02/19/15 11:42 AM
HWY_MAN Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: okbowhunter
Not in Texas.
I think Texas needs to catch up with Oklahoma on this. In Oklahoma you can open carry if you have your CHL.
Also, it is lawful for a person who is licensed to carry a handgun under the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act to store it out of view in a locked vehicle when the vehicle is left unattended on school property. (first I said not in Texas but I think maybe it is legal after googling it)

There should be no license required at all to carry open or concealed. If you can legally own a gun you can carry a gun.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Open Carry ?? [Re: Buzzsaw] #5607756 02/19/15 11:45 AM
GasGuzzler Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
I see people open carry all the time up here no matter the law. If Texas OKs it you can bet they're be licensing so I guess I'll have to sit out another round....

Pass the gravy.

Re: Open Carry ?? [Re: GasGuzzler] #5607759 02/19/15 11:55 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
"SB 17, sponsored by state Senator Craig Estes (R-Wichita Falls), removes the requirement that CHLs keep their handguns concealed and gives them the option of carrying them either wholly or partially visible in a belt or shoulder holster"

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Open Carry ?? [Re: tenyearsgone] #5607773 02/19/15 12:18 PM
R
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Originally Posted By: tenyearsgone

You're welcome to your own opinion but expressing it does not make it true.

[Linked Image]

-Augustus McRae
Re: Open Carry ?? [Re: J.G.] #5607777 02/19/15 12:21 PM
R
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
"SB 17, sponsored by state Senator Craig Estes (R-Wichita Falls), removes the requirement that CHLs keep their handguns concealed and gives them the option of carrying them either wholly or partially visible in a belt or shoulder holster"

I believe there were two different SBs, but I am not sure whether both are still alive.

[Linked Image]

-Augustus McRae
Re: Open Carry ?? [Re: RiverRider] #5607780 02/19/15 12:24 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: tenyearsgone

You're welcome to your own opinion but expressing it does not make it true.

Chapter and verse please. smile

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Open Carry ?? [Re: HWY_MAN] #5607814 02/19/15 01:08 PM
S
Savage388 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: HWY_MAN
Not in Texas.

There should be no license required at all to carry open or concealed. If you can legally own a gun you can carry a gun.

Here is my hiccup with the above statement.

I am an LEO. I'm all for our rights to carry a handgun. I promote and even gently chastise those who I contact who are CHL and are not armed. Should a law be passed and no license is required to carry, what will keep your average felon from strapping his on and going to Walmart? If it is lawful, I can't ask to see a License that proves I don't have a felon in possession of a firearm. My hands are tied. I personally don't like the idea of encountering some one who has had no background check and no training. It is a bad idea.

Secondly let's look at it from an active shooter's point of view. I'm sure he would walk into lubys and mingle, observing all the guys wearing their Sunday piece on their ostrich belts and make dang sure they die first.

Gentlemen I carry every day everywhere. If I'm not in uniform I will never carry my weapon openly. I am always aware of my surrounding and the people who are near me. I don't get comfortable anywhere outside my property. I would suggest to all who are going to carry ask yourself why you do so. Are you protecting you or are you protecting the innocents? What are your plans when the lead starts flying?

Re: Open Carry ?? [Re: Savage388] #5607826 02/19/15 01:23 PM
HWY_MAN Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Quote:
If it is lawful, I can't ask to see a License that proves I don't have a felon in possession of a firearm.

That is correct. If the law is passed you would have no probable cause unless that individual did something in violation of the law. No different than stopping a vehicle just to see if the individual has any outstanding traffic violations or warrants. I'm willing to bet that there is allot more felons driving around in vehicles than there are caring guns into Walmart or walking down the street.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Open Carry ?? [Re: Buzzsaw] #5607868 02/19/15 01:53 PM
R
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
R
I think those are legitimate concerns, but I think some of the answers to the questions can be found by examining the history of open carry in states that have not prohibited it for many years.

Personally, I would not choose to carry on the hip in crowds but I might want to carry in such a manner that my weapon is more easily accessible than current concealment laws allow. When traveling, I'd prefer hip carry for enhanced ease of access, and there are other situations I'd prefer the same.

[Linked Image]

-Augustus McRae
Re: Open Carry ?? [Re: HWY_MAN] #5607914 02/19/15 02:20 PM
S
Savage388 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Quote:
If it is lawful, I can't ask to see a License that proves I don't have a felon in possession of a firearm.

That is correct. If the law is passed you would have no probable cause unless that individual did something in violation of the law. No different than stopping a vehicle just to see if the individual has any outstanding traffic violations or warrants. I'm willing to bet that there is allot more felons driving around in vehicles than there are caring guns into Walmart or walking down the street.

Oh no doubt. However, right now it is lawful to carry a handgun in your car as long as it is concealed. I don't see handguns in plain sight in cars. I have found a few felons in possession on traffic but I had a legal right to be in that car. If open carry passes with no license requirement, it ends up being a crap shoot on who is legal to possess and who isn't.

ODERINT DUM METUANT
Re: Open Carry ?? [Re: HWY_MAN] #5608040 02/19/15 03:28 PM
B
blackcoal Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Not in Texas.

I agree with you, but you gotta ditch the cat. BTW, hope personal issues are improving. Still on the list.

The Greatest Enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge.--Stephen Hawking
Re: Open Carry ?? [Re: blackcoal] #5608056 02/19/15 03:34 PM
T
Threelranch Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T

This is what is disturbing that we are so behind on this and that there are states that you wouldn't think would ever to it have !

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide