Re: Open Carry ?? [Re: Gone to Texas] #5618707 02/25/15 01:52 AM
T
tenyearsgone Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Gone to Texas

Luke 22:36
He said to them, “But now let the one who has a moneybag take it, and likewise a knapsack. And let the one who has no sword sell his cloak and buy one."

Luke 11:21 - When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace

Exodus 22:2-3
If a thief is found breaking in and is struck so that he dies, there shall be no bloodguilt for him

I can get more if you like.

At the most all that shows is God approves of defending yourself.

Re: Open Carry ?? [Re: tenyearsgone] #5618764 02/25/15 02:15 AM
T
TFF Caribou Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: tenyearsgone
Originally Posted By: Savage388
Originally Posted By: HWY_MAN
Originally Posted By: okbowhunter
Not in Texas.
I think Texas needs to catch up with Oklahoma on this. In Oklahoma you can open carry if you have your CHL.
Also, it is lawful for a person who is licensed to carry a handgun under the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act to store it out of view in a locked vehicle when the vehicle is left unattended on school property. (first I said not in Texas but I think maybe it is legal after googling it)

Hate to say it but Oklahoma has kind of been outdoing Texas on gun laws.

There should be no license required at all to carry open or concealed. If you can legally own a gun you can carry a gun.

Here is my hiccup with the above statement.

I am an LEO. I'm all for our rights to carry a handgun. I promote and even gently chastise those who I contact who are CHL and are not armed. Should a law be passed and no license is required to carry, what will keep your average felon from strapping his on and going to Walmart? If it is lawful, I can't ask to see a License that proves I don't have a felon in possession of a firearm. My hands are tied. I personally don't like the idea of encountering some one who has had no background check and no training. It is a bad idea.

Secondly let's look at it from an active shooter's point of view. I'm sure he would walk into lubys and mingle, observing all the guys wearing their Sunday piece on their ostrich belts and make dang sure they die first.

Gentlemen I carry every day everywhere. If I'm not in uniform I will never carry my weapon openly. I am always aware of my surrounding and the people who are near me. I don't get comfortable anywhere outside my property. I would suggest to all who are going to carry ask yourself why you do so. Are you protecting you or are you protecting the innocents? What are your plans when the lead starts flying?

What's stopping a felon from doing it now?

Bingo. Can't legislate safety. Thugs are already criminals, and they already have their guns shoved in their waistbands.

The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference. -George Washington
Re: Open Carry ?? [Re: Buzzsaw] #5618979 02/25/15 03:44 AM
C
Colt W. Knight Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Open carry was common practice in West Virginia where I grew up, and in Arizona where I live now. I thought it was ridiculous a state such as Texas didn't allow open carry.

Last edited by Colt W. Knight; 02/25/15 03:44 AM.
Re: Open Carry ?? [Re: Buzzsaw] #5619179 02/25/15 07:27 AM
T
tenyearsgone Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Am I the only one that's noticed the only people proclaiming it's a plan for disaster are the ones that have never done it? Seriously, no one cares nor are there problems with people having their guns yanked off their waist. I've done it in a couple states. Just don't act paranoid and no one else will.

Re: Open Carry ?? [Re: tenyearsgone] #5619221 02/25/15 11:43 AM
S
Savage388 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: tenyearsgone
Originally Posted By: Savage388
Originally Posted By: HWY_MAN
Originally Posted By: okbowhunter
Not in Texas.
I think Texas needs to catch up with Oklahoma on this. In Oklahoma you can open carry if you have your CHL.
Also, it is lawful for a person who is licensed to carry a handgun under the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act to store it out of view in a locked vehicle when the vehicle is left unattended on school property. (first I said not in Texas but I think maybe it is legal after googling it)

Hate to say it but Oklahoma has kind of been outdoing Texas on gun laws.

There should be no license required at all to carry open or concealed. If you can legally own a gun you can carry a gun.

Here is my hiccup with the above statement.

I am an LEO. I'm all for our rights to carry a handgun. I promote and even gently chastise those who I contact who are CHL and are not armed. Should a law be passed and no license is required to carry, what will keep your average felon from strapping his on and going to Walmart? If it is lawful, I can't ask to see a License that proves I don't have a felon in possession of a firearm. My hands are tied. I personally don't like the idea of encountering some one who has had no background check and no training. It is a bad idea.

Secondly let's look at it from an active shooter's point of view. I'm sure he would walk into lubys and mingle, observing all the guys wearing their Sunday piece on their ostrich belts and make dang sure they die first.

Gentlemen I carry every day everywhere. If I'm not in uniform I will never carry my weapon openly. I am always aware of my surrounding and the people who are near me. I don't get comfortable anywhere outside my property. I would suggest to all who are going to carry ask yourself why you do so. Are you protecting you or are you protecting the innocents? What are your plans when the lead starts flying?

What's stopping a felon from doing it now?

I'm sure there are plenty of felons that are carrying now, but should OC pass with no licensing requirment, many more will feel comfortable carrying because I can't ask to see a license to carry their firearm. At least with the license requirement, I can be assured you have some training and are not a felon.

ODERINT DUM METUANT
Re: Open Carry ?? [Re: Buzzsaw] #5619246 02/25/15 12:21 PM
GasGuzzler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Good decision making cannot be legislated any more than morality can. Extra laws just make things more complicated.

Pass the gravy.

Re: Open Carry ?? [Re: Buzzsaw] #5619405 02/25/15 02:27 PM
P
patriot07 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
P
I see no significant benefit to allowing open carry, and many possible disadvantages. I agree mostly with savage388 that it poses more problems for LEO than it eliminates for CHL holders. Although I do see the benefit of those who say that it just makes it more comfortable to carry without worrying if it's only marginally visible, that just isn't enough benefit to me to allow anyone with no training on firearm usage, legal precedent, etc. to strap any gun they want on their hip in open public. Have you seen the idiots we walk around every day? You really think it's a good idea to openly arm them?

Re: Open Carry ?? [Re: Buzzsaw] #5619632 02/25/15 04:09 PM
T
TFF Caribou Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
T
He who would sacrifice liberty for a little temporary safety deserves neither.

The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference. -George Washington
Re: Open Carry ?? [Re: TFF Caribou] #5619813 02/25/15 05:50 PM
P
patriot07 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
P
Originally Posted By: Tff caribou
He who would sacrifice liberty for a little temporary safety deserves neither.
That can only be taken so far, right? Should everyone be allowed to carry anywhere? Courtrooms, classrooms, those under 21, etc.? Or is it reasonable to find a middle ground between safety and liberty that minimizes risk for the masses while maximizing liberty to those who haven't jeopardized it?

I don't disagree that much with you guys. Definitely not enough to argue fervently against open carry. But if I was given a vote, I'd vote against it. That's all I'm saying. I'm moderately against it.

I would like to be able to carry a slightly larger pistol that's only substantially concealed, and not a smaller pistol since it has to be 100% concealed. That's the big benefit of it to me.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide