Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Open Carry ?? [Re: Buzzsaw] #5609089 02/20/15 01:46 AM
O
okierifleman Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
O
OMG has this topic not been hashed and re-hashed enough. Yes, I appreciate my God given rite to carry however I feel( I carry concealed every day) , but you are not Wyatt Earp, and this isn't Dodge City. The whole point of "Concealed" is to be concealed. Are you seriously going to say that carrying your pistol on your hip at Wal Mart(for whatever reason anyone would ever go into one of those sh!tholz) in broad daylight is a good idea? I know, I know, everyone is too smart or too bada$$s to have their gun plain taken away from them and shot with said gun by a real criminal. For me, I like to know I am going under the radar, and no one can figure out if I am carrying or now. Just causes too many problems and too many hysterical idiots to even contemplate

Re: Open Carry ?? [Re: Buzzsaw] #5609100 02/20/15 01:52 AM
R
RiverRider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Once again: refer to the history of open carry where people have been free to do that for years.

[Linked Image]

"Arguing with you always makes me thirsty."

-Augustus McRae
Re: Open Carry ?? [Re: okierifleman] #5609380 02/20/15 11:01 AM
O
okbowhunter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
O
Originally Posted By: okierifleman
OMG has this topic not been hashed and re-hashed enough. Yes, I appreciate my God given rite to carry however I feel( I carry concealed every day) , but you are not Wyatt Earp, and this isn't Dodge City. The whole point of "Concealed" is to be concealed. Are you seriously going to say that carrying your pistol on your hip at Wal Mart(for whatever reason anyone would ever go into one of those sh!tholz) in broad daylight is a good idea? I know, I know, everyone is too smart or too bada$$s to have their gun plain taken away from them and shot with said gun by a real criminal. For me, I like to know I am going under the radar, and no one can figure out if I am carrying or now. Just causes too many problems and too many hysterical idiots to even contemplate

I wouldn't open carry to much but I want the option when I'm bowhunting on public ground I can carry my .45 on my hip. If I bend over in WalMart and my shirt comes up or in the wind my gun prints a little I'm still ok. I would still take care to be concealed but I wouldn't have to be as freaked out about making sure no one sees it.

Re: Open Carry ?? [Re: Savage388] #5609390 02/20/15 11:47 AM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Quote:
it ends up being a crap shoot on who is legal to possess and who isn't.

It already is a crap shoot, with the open carrying of rifles. They're walking around just begging for an officer to stop them. At least with them you have a better chance of distinguishing who's legal and who's not. The felons won't have somebody with them to video the damn thing and won't have their antic's posted on every internet forum and youtube.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Open Carry ?? [Re: okierifleman] #5609683 02/20/15 03:06 PM
T
Threelranch Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T

And it is the ones that say crap like this that don't need to carry in the first place , get off your high horse !

Re: Open Carry ?? [Re: Buzzsaw] #5609840 02/20/15 04:28 PM
G
Gone to Texas Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
G
I lived in Virginia for a bit. Its not impossible to get your CHL there but it is much more difficult than Texas. For that reason, I open carried my pistol (at the time a S&&W M&P 9c in blackhawk retention holster). I enjoyed it, much more comfortable than having the pistol rub on your skin.

However, it does draw a ton of attention to yourself which I did not like. Since I moved down to Texas I carry concealed which is nice because no one knows I carry. I wish we lived in a society where people do not get afraid when they see a firearm, unfortunately we don't.

I do enjoy the open carry rifle law though. That way I do not need to put my rifles in cases when going back and forth from my truck. I lived in Maryland for awhile too, there when you travel you have to have the firearm and ammo/mags in different parts of the car. This ment driving with firearms in the back seat and ammo in the truck bed, very stupid law and you could get in big trouble for breaking it.

Last edited by Gone to Texas; 02/20/15 04:29 PM.
Re: Open Carry ?? [Re: Buzzsaw] #5609849 02/20/15 04:31 PM
T
TFF Caribou Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
T
I don't have many intentions to open carry, however, I would prefer to carry OWB regardless of what shirt im wearing without having to make sure it's one of my "long" shirts so it stays concealed. It's just so much more comfortable.

The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference. -George Washington
Re: Open Carry ?? [Re: Buzzsaw] #5610056 02/20/15 06:31 PM
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
^^^ And that right there is why I like open carry.

Cast

[Linked Image]

I have a short attention spa
Re: Open Carry ?? [Re: RiverRider] #5616817 02/24/15 04:05 AM
T
tenyearsgone Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: RiverRider
Originally Posted By: tenyearsgone
I'd like to be able to exercise my God-given and "constitutionally protected" right to carry what I please in the manner I please without being arrested or questioned. I doubt I'll be able to do that anytime real soon though. Maybe the legislature will get it right this year. You won't see me holding my breath, though.

There's no such thing as a God-given right to arm yourself.

You're welcome to your own opinion but expressing it does not make it true.

There's no verse in the Bible that states God gives us any right to arm ourselves. When you make statements like that you look ignorant.

Re: Open Carry ?? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5616818 02/24/15 04:07 AM
T
tenyearsgone Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
I'd like to be able to exercise my God-given and "constitutionally protected" right to carry what I please in the manner I please without being arrested or questioned. I doubt I'll be able to do that anytime real soon though. Maybe the legislature will get it right this year. You won't see me holding my breath, though.

Chapter and verse please. smile

Exactly....

Re: Open Carry ?? [Re: okierifleman] #5616827 02/24/15 04:14 AM
T
tenyearsgone Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T

Can you point out where there's an epidemic of that happening in AZ?

Re: Open Carry ?? [Re: tenyearsgone] #5616828 02/24/15 04:14 AM
T
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
T

There's no verse in the Bible that states God gives us any right to arm ourselves. When you make statements like that you look ignorant.

I agree. We have an irrevocable constitutional right to keep and bear arms. That right is not God given. I'm a Christian and an ardent supporter of the second amendment, and I never cared for that expression either.

The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference. -George Washington
Re: Open Carry ?? [Re: Buzzsaw] #5616830 02/24/15 04:15 AM
T
tenyearsgone Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
I agree with you totally.

If it were true, anytime we prevented a felon or mentally unstable person from owning a gun we'd be going against his will.

Re: Open Carry ?? [Re: Buzzsaw] #5616969 02/24/15 11:08 AM
GasGuzzler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Look! Squirrel!!! bolt

Pass the gravy.

Re: Open Carry ?? [Re: Savage388] #5617063 02/24/15 01:37 PM
R
rentzington Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
Originally Posted By: Savage388
Originally Posted By: HWY_MAN
Originally Posted By: okbowhunter
Not in Texas.
I think Texas needs to catch up with Oklahoma on this. In Oklahoma you can open carry if you have your CHL.
Also, it is lawful for a person who is licensed to carry a handgun under the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act to store it out of view in a locked vehicle when the vehicle is left unattended on school property. (first I said not in Texas but I think maybe it is legal after googling it)

Hate to say it but Oklahoma has kind of been outdoing Texas on gun laws.

There should be no license required at all to carry open or concealed. If you can legally own a gun you can carry a gun.

Here is my hiccup with the above statement.

I am an LEO. I'm all for our rights to carry a handgun. I promote and even gently chastise those who I contact who are CHL and are not armed. Should a law be passed and no license is required to carry, what will keep your average felon from strapping his on and going to Walmart? If it is lawful, I can't ask to see a License that proves I don't have a felon in possession of a firearm. My hands are tied. I personally don't like the idea of encountering some one who has had no background check and no training. It is a bad idea.

Secondly let's look at it from an active shooter's point of view. I'm sure he would walk into lubys and mingle, observing all the guys wearing their Sunday piece on their ostrich belts and make dang sure they die first.

Gentlemen I carry every day everywhere. If I'm not in uniform I will never carry my weapon openly. I am always aware of my surrounding and the people who are near me. I don't get comfortable anywhere outside my property. I would suggest to all who are going to carry ask yourself why you do so. Are you protecting you or are you protecting the innocents? What are your plans when the lead starts flying?

I agree with this, personally i'd rather just keep the license requirements in place. whether the training is in depth or not I like the idea that people carrying have been through a course and demonstrated the basic ability to use their firearm.

IF OC passes I highly doubt I ever open carry, I like being discrete BUT it would be nice to use an OWB holster and not be too concerned about my shirt lifting up or a windy day blowing my cover garment.

Re: Open Carry ?? [Re: Buzzsaw] #5617298 02/24/15 03:10 PM
E
emorydog Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
E
The only reason I wouldn't mind the OC is to carry OWB but still concealed or at least semi for comfort, or until I lose about 25 whichever comes first.

-----------------------
Dog
Re: Open Carry ?? [Re: Buzzsaw] #5617304 02/24/15 03:12 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
dumb law... turning yourself into a target

Re: Open Carry ?? [Re: emorydog] #5617311 02/24/15 03:15 PM
R
rentzington Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
Originally Posted By: emorydog
The only reason I wouldn't mind the OC is to carry OWB but still concealed or at least semi for comfort, or until I lose about 25 whichever comes first.

yup same here, just avoid the concern of printing or accidentally displaying the firearm but not flat out open carry.
i'd certainly move to owb and probably carry my 1911 commander

Re: Open Carry ?? [Re: Navasot] #5617318 02/24/15 03:19 PM
T
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Navasot

For the 1000th time. Please cite an example of that happening. It might draw attention to yourself from other folks, but I'd bet you'd be hard pressed to find many examples of a shooting occurring and the first victim being an open carrier.

Re: Open Carry ?? [Re: TFF Caribou] #5617432 02/24/15 04:25 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Originally Posted By: Tff caribou

For the 1000th time. Please cite an example of that happening. It might draw attention to yourself from other folks, but I'd bet you'd be hard pressed to find many examples of a shooting occurring and the first victim being an open carrier.

Common sense needs no example

Re: Open Carry ?? [Re: tenyearsgone] #5617446 02/24/15 04:29 PM
G
Gone to Texas Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
G

Luke 22:36
He said to them, “But now let the one who has a moneybag take it, and likewise a knapsack. And let the one who has no sword sell his cloak and buy one."

Luke 11:21 - When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace

Exodus 22:2-3
If a thief is found breaking in and is struck so that he dies, there shall be no bloodguilt for him

I can get more if you like.

Re: Open Carry ?? [Re: Navasot] #5617460 02/24/15 04:34 PM
T
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
T

Seeing as how what you said is the opposite of common, not sure that applies here.

Re: Open Carry ?? [Re: Navasot] #5617513 02/24/15 05:14 PM
R
RiverRider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R

History and real world experience sometimes give the lie to what is considered "common sense." Refer to the history of open carry where it has not been prohibited. Maybe I should make a tag line out of that.

[Linked Image]

"Arguing with you always makes me thirsty."

-Augustus McRae
Re: Open Carry ?? [Re: Navasot] #5617656 02/24/15 06:36 PM
C
charlesb Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C

I'd like to see one!

Kind regards, charlesb

Re: Open Carry ?? [Re: Savage388] #5618704 02/25/15 01:50 AM
T
tenyearsgone Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Savage388
Originally Posted By: HWY_MAN
Originally Posted By: okbowhunter
Not in Texas.
I think Texas needs to catch up with Oklahoma on this. In Oklahoma you can open carry if you have your CHL.
Also, it is lawful for a person who is licensed to carry a handgun under the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act to store it out of view in a locked vehicle when the vehicle is left unattended on school property. (first I said not in Texas but I think maybe it is legal after googling it)

Hate to say it but Oklahoma has kind of been outdoing Texas on gun laws.

There should be no license required at all to carry open or concealed. If you can legally own a gun you can carry a gun.

Here is my hiccup with the above statement.

I am an LEO. I'm all for our rights to carry a handgun. I promote and even gently chastise those who I contact who are CHL and are not armed. Should a law be passed and no license is required to carry, what will keep your average felon from strapping his on and going to Walmart? If it is lawful, I can't ask to see a License that proves I don't have a felon in possession of a firearm. My hands are tied. I personally don't like the idea of encountering some one who has had no background check and no training. It is a bad idea.

Secondly let's look at it from an active shooter's point of view. I'm sure he would walk into lubys and mingle, observing all the guys wearing their Sunday piece on their ostrich belts and make dang sure they die first.

Gentlemen I carry every day everywhere. If I'm not in uniform I will never carry my weapon openly. I am always aware of my surrounding and the people who are near me. I don't get comfortable anywhere outside my property. I would suggest to all who are going to carry ask yourself why you do so. Are you protecting you or are you protecting the innocents? What are your plans when the lead starts flying?

What's stopping a felon from doing it now?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide