Forum Stats
60439 Members
45 Forums
475813 Topics
6241967 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#5606638 - 02/18/15 02:31 PM Disclosure of vender relationships?
Rockfish Dave Offline
Woodsman

Loc: Texas
So I see allot of recommendations here and there, where forum members or product reviewers push particular brands and only later (if ever) it is made known that they might have a vested interest in pushing brand x over other alternatives.

I'm curious what others feelings are on the subject and if those relationships (free gear, reseller, brother owns the company, etc) should be made known so that the reader can factor that into the motivation behind any opinions (either pro or con)? I know that may not be very realistic since it would be on the individuals honor to be honest, but just thinking and wondering if I'm the only one that wonders about this.

Edited by Rockfish Dave (02/18/15 02:33 PM)

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

#5606781 - 02/18/15 03:28 PM Re: Disclosure of vender relationships? [Re: Rockfish Dave]
Tff caribou Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Watauga, TX
I havnt ever noticed any thf'ers doing this. Thoae that have businesses nearly always have them in their signature.

#5606820 - 02/18/15 03:40 PM Re: Disclosure of vender relationships? [Re: Tff caribou]
txshntr Online   content
T-Rex Arms

Loc: Mansfield, Texas
Originally Posted By: Tff caribou
I havnt ever noticed any thf'ers doing this. Thoae that have businesses nearly always have them in their signature.

I have seen a few members push products and it appeared that they had some kind of vested interest. Most will tell you that they are selling this product or that in the post. I have seen it with different attractants and protein mixes mainly and the occasional phone app.

I have no issue with it, but would prefer they explain if they were vested in it or not. Changes the validity to the review IMO.

#5606904 - 02/18/15 04:10 PM Re: Disclosure of vender relationships? [Re: Rockfish Dave]
HuntTXhogs Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: North Ft Worth
In my opinion 95% of the people are willing to disclose if asked to. It is the 5% who evade the question or hide the information knowingly that "screw it up for the rest of us".

Also in the spirit of You smelt It You dealt It - what are your vendor relationships?

#5607032 - 02/18/15 05:07 PM Re: Disclosure of vender relationships? [Re: Rockfish Dave]
blackcoal Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: 60 Mi North of DFW
Originally Posted By: Rockfish Dave
So I see allot of recommendations here and there, where forum members or product reviewers push particular brands and only later (if ever) it is made known that they might have a vested interest in pushing brand x over other alternatives.

I'm curious what others feelings are on the subject and if those relationships (free gear, reseller, brother owns the company, etc) should be made known so that the reader can factor that into the motivation behind any opinions (either pro or con)? I know that may not be very realistic since it would be on the individuals honor to be honest, but just thinking and wondering if I'm the only one that wonders about this.

I have wondered the same thing. Seems there are some forum members who constantly insist certain products are the best, and all other products are over-priced or junk. Only what they prefer is worth purchasing. Sort of like shills at the carnival.

#5607083 - 02/18/15 05:34 PM Re: Disclosure of vender relationships? [Re: txshntr]
Veteran Tracker

Originally Posted By: txshntr

I have seen a few members push products and it appeared that they had some kind of vested interest. Most will tell you that they are selling this product or that in the post. I have seen it with different attractants and protein mixes mainly and the occasional phone app.

I have no issue with it, but would prefer they explain if they were vested in it or not. Changes the validity to the review IMO.

Could be. I mostly spend my time in the rifles, shotguns, and handguns section and the optics section. Pretty much know who the vendors are in those areas.

#5607215 - 02/18/15 06:36 PM Re: Disclosure of vender relationships? [Re: HuntTXhogs]
Rockfish Dave Offline
Woodsman

Originally Posted By: HuntTXhogs
In my opinion 95% of the people are willing to disclose if asked to. It is the 5% who evade the question or hide the information knowingly that "screw it up for the rest of us".

Also in the spirit of You smelt It You dealt It - what are your vendor relationships?

Me I'm a consumer, I don't sell anything, but have been suckered before hence my post. In all fairness, what are your vendor relationships?

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

#5607232 - 02/18/15 06:45 PM Re: Disclosure of vender relationships? [Re: Rockfish Dave]
HuntTXhogs Offline
Veteran Tracker

Me I'm a consumer, I don't sell anything, but have been suckered before hence my post. In all fairness, what are your vendor relationships?

Tell us more about how you were suckered and why you now feel compelled to tell all in this Optics only venue.

I don't think anybody really cares about me, I'm sitting on 2700 posts and 5 years of being here with never an account warning BUT I have been called a shill countless times - its is all rather pointless to rehash so back to you.

Edited by HuntTXhogs (02/18/15 06:47 PM)

#5607280 - 02/18/15 07:19 PM Re: Disclosure of vender relationships? [Re: HuntTXhogs]
Rockfish Dave Offline
Woodsman

Tell us more about how you were suckered and why you now feel compelled to tell all in this Optics only venue.

I don't think anybody really cares about me, I'm sitting on 2700 posts and 5 years of being here with never an account warning BUT I have been called a shill countless times - its is all rather pointless to rehash so back to you.

So you don't have any vender relationships that might be viewed as a conflict? Fair enough, but I don't really understand why you are so eager to take issue with something that I was pondering.

Why did I post here? That is a easy one too; Optics are my interest of the moment after just buying a new scope if you must know my motivation (nothing mentioned here in case that is your next question), and I don't really feel compelled to spam my random thought(s) across the forum.

- Benjamin Franklin

#5607289 - 02/18/15 07:24 PM Re: Disclosure of vender relationships? [Re: HuntTXhogs]
Rockfish Dave Offline
Woodsman

In my opinion 95% of the people are willing to disclose if asked to. It is the 5% who evade the question or hide the information knowingly that "screw it up for the rest of us".[snip]

I don't think anybody really cares about me [snip].

Oh but I do, that is why I asked. You cared enough to ask me and I was polite enough to answer honestly. Couldn't you do the same?

Aren't you in the 95% that would disclose if asked?

- Benjamin Franklin

#5607291 - 02/18/15 07:25 PM Re: Disclosure of vender relationships? [Re: Rockfish Dave]
Veteran Tracker

With all due respect, if you purchase an item based on the recommendation of one person on a forum, that's your fault. I'm shopping for a new scope right now as well. I toom the 2 or 3 most recommended scopes from my posts here, and have done some extensive research on many websites and forums to determine what I want to buy.

#5607306 - 02/18/15 07:32 PM Re: Disclosure of vender relationships? [Re: Tff caribou]
Stoney Offline

Loc: Bowie
With all due respect, if you purchase an item based on the recommendation of one person on a forum, that's your fault. I'm shopping for a new scope right now as well. I toom the 2 or 3 most recommended scopes from my posts here, and have done some extensive research on many websites and forums to determine what I want to buy.

Same here, I have looked at many many pages trying to determine the scope that best fits my needs for what I want to spend. If you are foolish enough to rely on a post made by a covert "pro staffer", that's shame on you

#5607315 - 02/18/15 07:36 PM Re: Disclosure of vender relationships? [Re: Tff caribou]
Rockfish Dave Offline
Woodsman

Quite the leap to a conclusion. My personal experience was with heavy equipment and someone that flat out lied about their interest. Lesson learned.

No it was not for a lack of research on the machinery or on anyone one persons recommendation, but at some point a deal comes down to trusting that the person you are doing business with has honor and integrity. I did, and I drove some 200 miles only to be burned. I chalk it up to a life lesson.

Edited to add: My current interest in optics and posting in this section probably are why you assumed it was forum related, when it really was more of a random thought...

Edited by Rockfish Dave (02/18/15 07:49 PM)

- Benjamin Franklin

#5607353 - 02/18/15 07:54 PM Re: Disclosure of vender relationships? [Re: Rockfish Dave]
Veteran Tracker

Quite the leap to a conclusion. My personal experience was with heavy equipment and someone that flat out lied about their interest. Lesson learned.

No it was not for a lack of research on the machinery or on anyone one persons recommendation, but at some point a deal comes down to trusting that the person you are doing business with has honor and integrity. I did, and I drove some 200 miles only to be burned. I chalk it up to a life lesson.

Edited to add: My current interest in optics and posting in this section probably are why you assumed it was forum related, when it really was more of a random thought...

Ahh ok. Yes, that makes a lot more sense. I was connecting dots that weren't there.

#5607400 - 02/18/15 08:17 PM Re: Disclosure of vender relationships? [Re: Rockfish Dave]
HuntTXhogs Offline
Veteran Tracker

I have a Youtube channel that pretty much sums it up, there is Armasight, Pulsar, Sightmark, IR Defense, TNVC, UNV, ATN and more there to be viewed.

I am picking up a Noreen 30-06 tomorrow and have a Black Hole Weaponry barrel and bolt enroute soon. These are coming as Test & Evaluation pieces (T&E).

I have bought, borrowed, sold, and "tested" 98% of the gear above and I do not approach companies saying give me this for that.

All in all I consider myself an Independent reviewer with a PRIMARY focus of sharing my use of products with consumers so that hard earned money is wisely spent.

What do you think of youtube channels like HickOK45, TwangnBang, Iraqveteren8888, etc etc etc?

Are they bought?

I would like to run channels like theirs if I could and I know they don't post in forums and have to explain away the shill and biases but for goodness sakes it is a TON of work and the consumer is ultimately responsible for their purchase decision.

BTW I have never monitinezed a single Youtube video so I guess I kind of do this because I like it.

That's all you get from me and I hope you find peace by posting a "just wondering" post like this but then not sharing the specifics of your bad deal.

I continue to hope there is some future for getting honest to goodness information to customers without them having to navigate threads like land mine fields!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide