Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Remington 2020-30-06 #5605483 02/18/15 04:30 AM
hetman Offline OP
"Trash Master"
OP Offline
"Trash Master"
Hello everyone, new member here "hetman" Texas Native/ex- mil / lived south to north TX. / now living in Extreme North Dallas(Addison). Well to make a long story short " It was my Birthday " , and I wanted a new toy / I have pistols /rifles/shotguns etc. etc. . My main hunting weapon is a semi custom Win. feather weight M70 - long action in 257roberts+P / Leopold optics(w/ hand loads it will whack & stack with the best of them)

I had some birthday money burning a hole in my pocket & looked at everything from 50cal down to .17 ( forgot I already have a rem 17 in the safe) I wanted something different!!!!!!!!!!!

Tracking Point Austin TX

I have been reading about the Tracking Point company out of Austin TX., They make some of the most amazing rifle/scope combo's ever. But: they are EXTREAM $$$$$$$$$$ $17,000 to $27,0000 but for that money your best non shooting/ couldn't hit the side of a Barn friend could sit down and do a 1000yrd shot first time w/ a little bit of coaching.

Remington shoot 2020

Remington made a deal w/tracking point to use some of there Technology ( scope ) w/ semi modified Remington Rifles,& 1 bushmaster (223) . Only done in 3 calibers 30-06/308/.223 - using off the shelf Ammo. Right now scope is restricted to 500yards but will laser to over 750yards.

Remington list price in the $5k range / gander & cabalas in the $4k range / Gun broker in the $2.7 & up Range.

Grab A Gun

A friend turned me on to GrabAgun it is a internet Gun Dealer(2nd largest) but has a great store front in Coppell TX ( it is the biggest / cheapest toy store I have ever run across in years)

Anyway I picked up a 2020 system in 30-06 for $1900. Its a nice
setup: Gun ( Model700 Long Range- 26in Heavy Barrel w/ B&C M40 stock /X-Mark Pro externally adjustable trigger system) Scope : ( tracking point /laser rangefinder 750 yards/ 3X21x / Wi-Fi server / ballistic computer / weather station / video & audio recording), Rifle case( custom fitted pelican approx. $200), Ammo: ( comes with a 300 round case of 3 different types of ammo: Target & 2 hunting loads)

poetry shooting club

Waiting for a Bipod I ordered to come in, then we are trying to get on the Poetry shooting club range it's a 700 yard Range. will give a Field summary after that happens.

Wondering if anyone else has had the chance to play with one of these systems yet? You could pretty much rule a area 10 football fields long & 5 wide( or even 10 wide if you set in the middle( wonder what a 168-gr Barnes VOR-TX Tipped TSX BT or Rem 180-gr Premier® Core-Lokt Ultra Bonded will do to a Pig ?)

Disclaimer: any website/ammo maker /gun maker etc. etc. that is referenced: I don't make anything or receive anything from them all they do is take my money just like you.

Greets Hetman (AKA Steve)

Here is some cell phone pics:

[img:center]http://www.4shared.com/download/cM5OPu25ba/IMAG0346r.jpg?lgfp=3000[/img]

[img:center]http://www.4shared.com/download/ewNIfW0Wba/IMAG0347.jpg?lgfp=3000[/img]

[Linked Image]

"Lesser mortals are pitied for the misfortune in not being born Texan."

Re: Remington 2020-30-06 [Re: hetman] #5605512 02/18/15 04:55 AM
T
tenyearsgone Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
It's a shame people are too lazy to learn how to do wind calls and range estimation anymore. I think it cheapens the experience.

Re: Remington 2020-30-06 [Re: tenyearsgone] #5605560 02/18/15 05:47 AM
hetman Offline OP
"Trash Master"
OP Offline
"Trash Master"
Originally Posted By: tenyearsgone
It's a shame people are too lazy to learn how to do wind calls and range estimation anymore. I think it cheapens the experience.

Been there done that & still do it anytime I pickup a rifle or pistol. Bench rest shooters live & die by how well they can dope the wind (lot of wind flags used). Snipers have a 2nd person calling wind & correction. Scopes have BDC built in / Mil Dot correction recitals / most long ranger shooters have cheat sheets with range settings & laser rangfinders they must all be feeling remorse.

The 2020 system will not do a wind call( you can enter it in from your call)
Its a new tech just something new to try out & play with.

I can't wait to "cheap" all over some pigs coming out to play Destruction on a 500 to 1000 acre planted field's . Just my Opinion Too. Hetman( AKA Steve)

[Linked Image]

Re: Remington 2020-30-06 [Re: hetman] #5605572 02/18/15 06:08 AM
B
blackcoal Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Sounds like a fun time and good that you have the time and money to work with it. Seems when something new comes out many people are against it, especially if they aren't the first on the block. I hope you get a lot of enjoyment from this, new toy.

The Greatest Enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge.--Stephen Hawking
Re: Remington 2020-30-06 [Re: hetman] #5605577 02/18/15 06:17 AM
P
P & Y Offline
Tracker
Tracker
P
I've played with one of the units that came direct from TP. Very nice rifle and some neat technology, but IMO there were some drawbacks. The image quality was terrible for something that cost 22k. The tag system is sensitive and will lose its tag if you move the crosshairs to far after lock. At 500 yards or so the dot in the crosshairs is slightly larger than I would prefer for precise shot placement. The center dot size may be adjustable on the unit but didn't dive that far into it. The only hunting experience I had was on some javelina last year in south Texas. The grass was fairly tall and we could not get the unit to stay tagged. We did not play with any settings so that may have been part of the problem. I'm sure it will only get better as time goes by and am ready to see where this goes. It is pretty wild to record and watch what the shooter is seeing in real time on a iPad 10yds away!

Last edited by P & Y; 02/18/15 06:33 AM.

Re: Remington 2020-30-06 [Re: P & Y] #5605852 02/18/15 02:20 PM
hetman Offline OP
"Trash Master"
OP Offline
"Trash Master"
Originally Posted By: P & Y
I've played with one of the units that came direct from TP. Very nice rifle and some neat technology, but IMO there were some drawbacks. The image quality was terrible for something that cost 22k. The tag system is sensitive and will lose its tag if you move the crosshairs to far after lock. At 500 yards or so the dot in the crosshairs is slightly larger than I would prefer for precise shot placement. The center dot size may be adjustable on the unit but didn't dive that far into it. The only hunting experience I had was on some javelina last year in south Texas. The grass was fairly tall and we could not get the unit to stay tagged. We did not play with any settings so that may have been part of the problem. I'm sure it will only get better as time goes by and am ready to see where this goes. It is pretty wild to record and watch what the shooter is seeing in real time on a iPad 10yds away!

That's cool getting to play with one of the original tracking point systems / just having one of the custom built rifles they use with there system would be awesome.

I think the main difference between the tracking point & Rem2020 system is NOT having the electronic trigger(tracking point) control the shot/ on the Rem2020 you do manual trigger control.

The Tag dot is adjustable between 1 & 4 MOA

the 2020 system has 3 shooting modes:

Traditional: you laser(tag) the target for distance & you pick where on the target you wish to hit( I can see this being my main hunting mode)

Advanced: you laser(tag) the target in a specific zone/place and the scope will not give you a "Fire Indication" until perfectly centered on the tag(this is where you need to choose the 1-4MOA tag center)- I see me using this mode Target shooting

Advanced Tracking: scope will tag and (offset/lead) for lateral target movement up to 10 MPH

the audio/video recording & Wi-Fi output will be a neat addition

The system will NOT fix bad shooting form or bad trigger control=Miss

Last edited by hetman; 02/18/15 02:24 PM.

[Linked Image]

Re: Remington 2020-30-06 [Re: tenyearsgone] #5606386 02/18/15 06:12 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q

Do you still use long division/do math by hand? Camera with film? Vehicle with a manual tranny? Only make calls from a wired phone? Not to mention, how are you posting on an internet forum that requires a computer?

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Remington 2020-30-06 [Re: hetman] #5607680 02/19/15 05:06 AM
B
blackcoal Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
^^^^ Explain those things you speak of---Camera with film, math by hand ?? Wired Phone ??

The Greatest Enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge.--Stephen Hawking
Re: Remington 2020-30-06 [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #5607718 02/19/15 06:26 AM
T
tenyearsgone Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Do you still use long division/do math by hand? Camera with film? Vehicle with a manual tranny? Only make calls from a wired phone? Not to mention, how are you posting on an internet forum that requires a computer?

None of those takes great skill in their old format to start with. I do own a manual vehicle and have used long division recently. It's just that to me, shooting is about using a human element to get the most out of a gun. It's not about taking the easy way out.

Re: Remington 2020-30-06 [Re: hetman] #5607720 02/19/15 06:27 AM
T
tenyearsgone Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: hetman

Been there done that & still do it anytime I pickup a rifle or pistol. Bench rest shooters live & die by how well they can dope the wind (lot of wind flags used). Snipers have a 2nd person calling wind & correction. Scopes have BDC built in / Mil Dot correction recitals / most long ranger shooters have cheat sheets with range settings & laser rangfinders they must all be feeling remorse.

The 2020 system will not do a wind call( you can enter it in from your call)
Its a new tech just something new to try out & play with.

I can't wait to "cheap" all over some pigs coming out to play Destruction on a 500 to 1000 acre planted field's . Just my Opinion Too. Hetman( AKA Steve)

You just described shooters using their own skills to make decisions, not having a machine do it for them.

Re: Remington 2020-30-06 [Re: hetman] #5609252 02/20/15 03:58 AM
T
TexasVine Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Hetman, I think that will be a heck of a lot of fun to shoot with. I always enjoy seeing the new stuff and hearing about how it works and performs. $1,900.00 is a great deal for a great rifle and sighting system. I look forward to hearing more about it.

TexasVine
[Linked Image]
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide