Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: love a 1911 [Re: TheOilman] #5609525 02/20/15 01:40 PM
P
patriot07 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
P
Originally Posted By: Haydend
As you can tell you will get a 1000 different opinions. I highly recommended you shoot a Ruger 1911 before making your choice they are great guns at a low price. They have a titanium firing pin which is usually only found in high dollar guns. Again I will say Kimbers are overpriced junk.
Why do you think a titanium firing pin is a good thing?

Re: love a 1911 [Re: patriot07] #5609878 02/20/15 04:47 PM
T
TheOilman Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
Originally Posted By: patriot07
As you can tell you will get a 1000 different opinions. I highly recommended you shoot a Ruger 1911 before making your choice they are great guns at a low price. They have a titanium firing pin which is usually only found in high dollar guns. Again I will say Kimbers are overpriced junk.

Umm because titanium is stronger and would be more durable.

Re: love a 1911 [Re: THETEXAN] #5610050 02/20/15 06:28 PM
B
blackcoal Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Titanium firing pin? You must be from Kalifornica!
What about a titanium hammer and titanium hammer strut.
RIA comes with titanium firing pin also.

The Greatest Enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge.--Stephen Hawking
Re: love a 1911 [Re: THETEXAN] #5610087 02/20/15 06:48 PM
S
SmallTownHunter Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
I'm no expert on 1911's but I can tell you the Gunsmith at Elk Castle in Ft Worth has a shelf full of Kimber's with problems to be worked on, and very few of any other brand of 1911.

Re: love a 1911 [Re: TheOilman] #5610093 02/20/15 06:55 PM
P
patriot07 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
P

As a mechanical engineer, I can tell you that titanium is not stronger than steel. Some alloys of each are stronger than weaker alloys in the other, but overall they are roughly similar in strength. It has a better strength to weight ratio, which just means it has to be going faster to distribute the same force to the primer, which would actually make it wear out faster.

Besides, how many 1911s fail because the firing pin wears out? Is that a reason to buy one gun over another?

Not trying to be inherently disagreeable, but it's tough for me to find much common ground with someone who thinks Kimbers are junk and titanium firing pins are an "upgrade".

Re: love a 1911 [Re: THETEXAN] #5610220 02/20/15 08:01 PM
R
RiverRider Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
R
It is my understanding that the series II Kimbers are the ones with problems. Not my experience, just seems to be the consensus around here.

[Linked Image]

"Arguing with you always makes me thirsty."

-Augustus McRae
Re: love a 1911 [Re: RiverRider] #5610263 02/20/15 08:29 PM
P
patriot07 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
P
Originally Posted By: RiverRider
It is my understanding that the series II Kimbers are the ones with problems. Not my experience, just seems to be the consensus around here.
I never shot the original series I Kimber 1911 pistols, but if they're even better than series II, then that opinion makes even less sense to me.

Re: love a 1911 [Re: RiverRider] #5610271 02/20/15 08:34 PM
C
cabosandinh Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: RiverRider

it started when Kimber went with external extractor

i worked on a Kimber CDP and found the extractor bit was too long and spring too tight

I filed down the extractor , cut 1-2 link off the extractor spring ... fixed the failed to eject
last round problem .... this is what a lot of folks are seeing FTE

Re: love a 1911 [Re: blackcoal] #5610465 02/20/15 10:52 PM
T
TheOilman Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
Originally Posted By: blackcoal
Titanium firing pin? You must be from Kalifornica!
What about a titanium hammer and titanium hammer strut.
RIA comes with titanium firing pin also.

Every time I see a unintelligent comment I know it's you blackcoal. I'm confused by your California remark are you saying they don't have titanium firing pins? And can you please show me where RIA says their pistols come stock with one? I'm not saying they don't by no means I just didn't know that and would like some proof. I know your feeling are still hurt because I schooled you on hollow points the other day but you don't have make some unintelligent comment every time I reply a post, you can act like a grown man.

Re: love a 1911 [Re: THETEXAN] #5610505 02/20/15 11:15 PM
B
blackcoal Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
^^^LOL^^^ Tell everyone about views about limp wristing and your views regarding proper breakin of semi-autos and whether it is needed. Your view of titanium firing pins are different from mine but also others as listed above. I just happen to be the first to call you and say I disagree. You state titanium firing pins are only found in higher priced guns. LOL. Unfortunately I don't have a buddy who owns a gun shop like you do. Also lets go to your all containing thoughts like 1000 different views. There are not that many 1911's. The OP was asking what do you like, not your view that all Kimbers are junk. Several people disagreed with you. Then if you need more lets go back to one of your early posts when a member tried to help and you accused him of being a troll because he hurt your feelings..
Grow up, not every one is going to agree with you.

The Greatest Enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge.--Stephen Hawking
Re: love a 1911 [Re: THETEXAN] #5610564 02/20/15 11:53 PM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Kimbers are fine. I see them run just as well as all the rest of the 1911s.

The secret to a long life is to try not to shorten it.
Re: love a 1911 [Re: Tactical Cowboy] #5610838 02/21/15 02:20 AM
C
cabosandinh Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: Tactical Cowboy
Kimbers are fine. I see them run just as well as all the rest of the 1911s.

They are fine indeed

I put my Kimber Gold Match through 1600 rds in 2 hrs, gun was too hot to touch;

had 1 mis-feed , but probably due to tired and limp wristing

Re: love a 1911 [Re: blackcoal] #5610839 02/21/15 02:21 AM
T
TheOilman Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
Originally Posted By: blackcoal
^^^LOL^^^ Tell everyone about views about limp wristing and your views regarding proper breakin of semi-autos and whether it is needed. Your view of titanium firing pins are different from mine but also others as listed above. I just happen to be the first to call you and say I disagree. You state titanium firing pins are only found in higher priced guns. LOL. Unfortunately I don't have a buddy who owns a gun shop like you do. Also lets go to your all containing thoughts like 1000 different views. There are not that many 1911's. The OP was asking what do you like, not your view that all Kimbers are junk. Several people disagreed with you. Then if you need more lets go back to one of your early posts when a member tried to help and you accused him of being a troll because he hurt your feelings..
Grow up, not every one is going to agree with you.

I apologize to the OP for bringing this crap to his post. I can't help it that this weirdo is obssesed with me and can't use the forum like an adult but to try and aggiate others. This will be the last time I respond to your unintelligent jargon Blackcoal. FYI there doesn't have to be 1000 guns to have that many views , heck you can have 100 views on one gun lol. Also never said the titanium firing pins are only on higher models but it is usually common for them to be in nice guns. I am impressed that I mean so much to you that you have read all my post , you can tell I really got in that head of yours even though that wasn't my intention. Have a nice night and please don't respond to any of my post as I won't yours Thank you.

Last edited by Haydend; 02/21/15 02:51 AM.
Re: love a 1911 [Re: patriot07] #5610890 02/21/15 02:50 AM
T
TheOilman Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T

As a mechanical engineer, I can tell you that titanium is not stronger than steel. Some alloys of each are stronger than weaker alloys in the other, but overall they are roughly similar in strength. It has a better strength to weight ratio, which just means it has to be going faster to distribute the same force to the primer, which would actually make it wear out faster.

Besides, how many 1911s fail because the firing pin wears out? Is that a reason to buy one gun over another?

Not trying to be inherently disagreeable, but it's tough for me to find much common ground with someone who thinks Kimbers are junk and titanium firing pins are an "upgrade".

I just always assumed a stronger firing pin would be an upgrade. I'm no expert I was just going on what I have heard from gunsmiths about it being better to have a titanium one but that wouldn't be the only reason I would purchase a gun either I was just giving him some info. As far as how many break I don't have a clue I have only owned two 1911s one being the Ruger which at some where around 3500 rounds hasn't had any problems and the other being a Kimber custom II which I had to send back twice within 500 rounds. If you will look at some of the other post like the one right above yours you can see I'm not the only one who doesn't like Kimbers.

Re: love a 1911 [Re: THETEXAN] #5610971 02/21/15 03:24 AM
R
RiverRider Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
R
I'd have to say that I have never handled a Kimber 1911 that I didn't like, but I'll also say I have shied away from them because of the reported problems. It may not be all that fair to just leave it at that either. The first Kimber 1911s were jewels and everyone went bonkers over them, but there were management changes and they became much more "mass produced" in character than they had been originally.

So, does that mean the newer ones are "junk?" I don't think so. They may truly be lesser than the originals but that does NOT make the new ones junk. Another thing to consider is the fact that the best selling widgets in the world will break more often than the others because there are so many of them.

Personally, I'd recommend Springfield Armory for a mass-produced 1911 over a Kimber but there are better guns than SA also. Truth be told, I'd bet the Tisas 1911 Bud's is (or was) selling are a decent, no-frills 1911 for the money. Wish I had money coming out my ears, I'd own 'em all.

[Linked Image]

"Arguing with you always makes me thirsty."

-Augustus McRae
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide