Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: X-sight? [Re: emory73m] #5611549 02/21/15 05:29 PM
D
DusterFlyer Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
D
I am a STRONG fan of the ATN X Sight!

I ordered in late November and received it a week after Christmas, about a month earlier than Night Vision Guys promised delivery.

I did have serious issues initially as follows:

Excessive reticle correction to achieve zero. So much correction that at about half zoom the reticle would disappear high and left. Also the sight would freeze or turn off when I fired my LR-308. So INITIALLY I was VERY concerned.

Support was Excellent from Night Vision Guys. For the screen freeze/outage they said to tighten the battery cap. I was skeptical as I thought I had tightened it sufficiently. Treating it as I would any delicate instrument, I stopped tightening it when I felt the turning resistance was adequate. Sure enough I got another turn and a half before the battery cap bottomed on the base. Voila, NO MORE freeze/outage problem.

Then I noticed a little movement of the sight on its base one night while I was chasing zero. So I took it home and found the base to body screws slightly loose. I took them out, inspected the surfaces for damage and debris, place a bubble level on the base and another on the body (unit on it's side), aligned the 2 parts, applied blue loctite to the 3 mounting screws and tightened them as much as I dared. I'm now zeroed with the X/Y in the single digits. And now I can go to full zoom magnification with very little movement of the reticle on the screen. I use it with quick disconnects and it returns to zero every time I replace the sight on the rifle.

I've hunted with it twice and had it out to the range day and night 4 times. At the moment I am not using the wifi nor recording features and when I'm hunting with it I only turn it on to look at something then turn it off. I use a Equinox Z for initial acquisition then go to the X Sight. On my last hunting trip batteries lasted 2, 7 hour hunting periods. As I get more time to explore its features I'm sure I'll go through batteries faster, but lets face it, it takes power to generate the images day or night and I'm not unhappy at all to throw in batteries as necessary. I also use an IR laser on the rifle and I like the combination. It independently reinforces that the scope is still zeroed til I have more experience with it.

The fact is you cannot find anything close to the capability the X Sight brings for the money, and though this is my first experience with night capability, I bet it exceeds the performance of other night vision systems out there (excluding thermal). Also it will only get better as the firmware developers keep working on it.

Although the IR illuminator included with the sight is good out to 100 yards, I am going to look for a more powerful illuminator. I think the problem is more in the automatic gain of the Sight than the illuminator but I'm not that savvy yet.

The take away is that with a little help from the experts at NV Guys, and a little common sense maintenance, my X Sight is a Hog Deadly Instrument and I am VERY HAPPY with my purchase.

Re: X-sight? [Re: emory73m] #5611585 02/21/15 06:07 PM
S
s6275 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
What quick disconnects are you using?

Re: X-sight? [Re: emory73m] #5611606 02/21/15 06:23 PM
M
Morning dew1 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
M
I like how you have constantly tinker with this quality device it's like buying a knife and having to sharpen it everyday albeit a junky knife from update after update, loose screws any chance it will be normal?

Re: X-sight? [Re: Morning dew1] #5611668 02/21/15 07:15 PM
M
MoShootr Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
M
Originally Posted By: Morning dew1
I like how you have constantly tinker with this quality device it's like buying a knife and having to sharpen it everyday albeit a junky knife from update after update, loose screws any chance it will be normal?

"Normal" compared to what? Which competing product, at this price point, with these features, are you referring to?
I honestly don't know how to answer this kind of subjective question without a frame of reference on what you consider to be "normal".

"Being Right, and being Reasonable, are not automatically synonymous." - Me
Re: X-sight? [Re: s6275] #5611675 02/21/15 07:17 PM
D
DusterFlyer Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
D
Originally Posted By: s6275
What quick disconnects are you using?

I don't want to give you the wrong answer, I've ordered so many things lately. I'll look at it tomorrow and get you an answer.

I think it's the Luepold Mk I Integral mounting system.

Re: X-sight? [Re: shoots100] #5612703 02/22/15 04:19 PM
HuntTXhogs Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: shoots100
I've heard that some of the newer 3x scopes still have a focusing issues.

Newer 3x with no focusing issues....

House is 120 yards away

Re: X-sight? [Re: emory73m] #5613152 02/22/15 08:05 PM
S
shoots100 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
Thanks for the Pic HTXH.
A pic is worth a thousand unconfirmed words.
That is a big sight picture too and Perfect for the close range hunting I do.
If ATN can take care of the wandering reticle issue, I'd order one now.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide