6236741 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#5599231 - 02/14/15 09:59 AM Co existing, deer and hogs
7mag Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: West Texas
Is it possible to have both and have great expectations? I just got on a new place with a fellow THFer. I have NEVER claimed to be a hog hunter, but I have hunted them a handful of times. One of the places I chose has a natural spring and hog heaven bathing. My feeder will sit just a few yards from the bath house.

I want the best of both worlds, I guess. Deer and hogs. Am I mistaken in my thinking? Seems like there are several that just flatout hate hogs, while others are completely OK with them.

"Una Stamus"

#5599237 - 02/14/15 10:02 AM Re: Co existing, deer and hogs [Re: 7mag]
Navasot Online   content
Natty Love

Loc: Normangee/Navasota TX
Pen the feeder and your good... you can hand corn if you want pigs and if your near water they will be moving through constantly anyway. I deal with it every year but the deer are getting use to them around here... until a big boar shows up the doe will run off smaller pigs if they are hungry

http://www.j5tractors.com/

#5599238 - 02/14/15 10:03 AM Re: Co existing, deer and hogs [Re: 7mag]
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi

Put me in the hate hogs group. I use a feed pen to keep them PITA at someone else's feeder or land. You can not have consistent, good deer hunting when you feeder is smelling like a hog pen and over run with hogs.

#5599240 - 02/14/15 10:04 AM Re: Co existing, deer and hogs [Re: Navasot]
7mag Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: West Texas
I also look at em as a plus for the grill food

"Una Stamus"

#5599246 - 02/14/15 10:07 AM Re: Co existing, deer and hogs [Re: 7mag]
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi

The coyotes, buzzards and cara cara around here would agree on the food part. Not for me, I do not care to eat them much anymore.

#5599348 - 02/14/15 11:26 AM Re: Co existing, deer and hogs [Re: 7mag]
kyle1974 Offline

I like seeing a few hogs to mix it up a little, but it seems hard to get that mix... hogs are feast or famine, at least in my part of the world.

I checked my cameras yesterday after not being to the ranch in over a month, and the pigs are really getting thick out there now that deer season is over. I guess they haven't been shot at on a regular basis so they're starting to move around more.

I have some huge mature boars coming in braod daylight to the feeders right now... should make some good off season fun

#5599495 - 02/14/15 01:43 PM Re: Co existing, deer and hogs [Re: 7mag]
Double Naught Spy Online   content
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Forestburg, Montague Cnty, TX
Of course you can have both, along with bobcats, coyotes, and other livestock. While I sometimes do see hogs and deer mingling, it is usually either/or. Hogs will be at the feeder for a while and when they leave, the deer will be there. Raccoons will often be at the feeder regardless of whether the hogs or deer are there. Sure, the occasional bully boar shows up, but generally speaking, the animals just keep their distance from one another and remain fairly happy.

#5599519 - 02/14/15 02:10 PM Re: Co existing, deer and hogs [Re: 7mag]
Pitchfork Predator Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Murphy, TX Dickens county
you can have both, but I agree with stxranchman that to have consistent deer visits to the feeder you need to hog panel it. I have sets with and without a pen, and while I see deer at both, more consistent deer visits with the pen around the feeder. The hogs will show up there too, to eat what gets thrown outside the feeder, but they can't dig, root and stink up the place with the pen around the feeder.

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920

#5599944 - 02/14/15 09:14 PM Re: Co existing, deer and hogs [Re: 7mag]
shea.mcphail Offline
Woodsman

Loc: Mesquite/Canton
I've had hogs and deer out by the feeder simultaneously.

#5599958 - 02/14/15 09:22 PM Re: Co existing, deer and hogs [Re: shea.mcphail]
bigdavehunting Offline

Loc: Abilene Tx
I hand throw a lot of corn on the ground. Ive had deer cows and pigs eating all at the same time. If a larger pig 175 or bigger comes in Deer will tend to move out. If the deer are not moving I don't mind the hogs but rather see deer anytime over hogs.

#5599986 - 02/14/15 09:42 PM Re: Co existing, deer and hogs [Re: 7mag]
Halfadozen Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Parker County
Hogs are fairly nomadic, known to roam across numerous miles and ranches in search of easy pickings. Pen in your deer feeder, but keep it a bit away from the water source. We have always had one feeder U fenced just for hogs and they find it soon enough and stay pretty much away from the deer feeders. I love wild hog almost as much as venison.

#5600004 - 02/14/15 10:04 PM Re: Co existing, deer and hogs [Re: 7mag]
Pittstate Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: NE/CO/KS/MO/OK
I like having hogs, turkey and deer on my place and they seem to live together without much problems. When the hogs get thick, I get together a bunch of guys and we all go out to different feeders/food plots to hunt. For the most part, my feeders are for hogs and the plots are for the deer and turkey. They all use both, but the deer use the plots mostly. We take about 10 to 20 hogs, 10 deer and 10 turkey a year off of 600 acres (part of a 4000 acre big area) each year without depleting the resource. I don't think I could/would have this much game on my place with cattle on it, that is why I don't run cattle. My place is for hunting.

#5600228 - 02/15/15 08:58 AM Re: Co existing, deer and hogs [Re: 7mag]
EddieWalker Online   content
Pro Tracker

Loc: Tyler, TX
For years I've had my feeder open to the hogs. During the course of the year, I would get both deer and hogs eating the corn. Usually the deer would show up early, then later in the middle of the night, the hogs would show up and finish off what's on the ground. This would last for weeks, until the hogs showed up earlier and run off the deer. Then the deer would disappear for months at a time. Hogs make a ton of noise, they chase each other around, and you just never know when one of them is going to take off running. In my opinion, deer do not like this. After shooting more hogs then I can count, I've come to the conclusion that just killing them wont keep them away. I fenced off my feeder to keep the hogs out, and after a month or so, deer started showing up on a regular basis. I've gone from just one or two, to 9 out feeding every night. It's just not the corn, they are hanging out in the food plot now. My feeder and food plot are next to each other, but the food plot wasn't being used very much until now. My thinking is that the hogs at the corn where so disruptive that they kept the deer away from the food plot.

I do not believe you can have both in the same area and consistently have deer around.

Eddie

#5600296 - 02/15/15 09:52 AM Re: Co existing, deer and hogs [Re: EddieWalker]
colt.45 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: wondering about the woods
Started food plot behind house down by creek years ago for deer. The working up the ground atracted deer. Before the game cams, would chheck for tracks. Still enjoy the old timers way, use it at WMA. Pretty soon the hogs would find it, they travel the creeks & bottoms. Deer tracks would decrease, but still be found & still seen deer. Used ta use pvc pipe feeders for corn. Then the feeders dusk & dawn. it was set off ta side. The bigger hogs dominated it. . Dogs been keeping the hogs away from every thing lately. Hogs show up, & as others have mentioned, squeeling & scuffles bring the dogs around. Deer have beentypicaly out running dogs, circle back. Think the deer getting tired of it also. More pics of dogs than deer & hogs put tagether. Makes it a tougher hunt. flag

i'm postaddic

#5600510 - 02/15/15 01:13 PM Re: Co existing, deer and hogs [Re: 7mag]
passthru Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Saginaw, Tx
Our place has both and the deer will leave when bigger pigs come in but the pigs are hardly ever around in the daylight.
http://www.threefingersbowhunting.com/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide