Re: The price we pay [Re: MarkE] #5614659 02/23/15 02:37 PM
J
joebass2 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
J
Originally Posted By: MarkE
Originally Posted By: redchevy

To me deer leasing in texas has become more expensive than what its worth or what you get out of it. If we didn't own our property I would have probably quit hunting here and just started hunting out of state... sure, its not cheaper, but it would be worth the expense to me.

I kind of share the same philosophy. I've never paid more than $1,200 for a single lease in my life. I have access to other places that I can hunt all the hogs, varmints, and does I want. I'm always shopping around for land to lease that has better quality deer and I've come across some really interesting places, however, there is a point in which it is just not worth it. I just can't justify paying several thousand dollars more for the opportunity at a buck that will score 30" higher than where I'm at now. I would much rather put that money toward an out of state hunt. I've had the opportunity over the past few years to go on elk and pronghorn hunts, as well as a caribou trip on the Alaskan tundra. These hunts were FAR more fun and adventurous to me than to have shelled out $K’s on a “high dollar” deer lease and to pump deer full of protein for several years, ultimately to end up shooting a 150" plus buck coming into a feeder. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying that I will not continue to hunt deer that way, it is just hard to forgo what I consider much more enjoyable, adventurous, and memorable hunt. That occasional 150” plus buck will can easily end up costing much more trophy elk hunt for example, so that makes my decision easy.

Just another thought, I think that the commercialization of hunting (TV shows, products, commercials, ect.) and the internet have most definitely played a huge role in regard to the economics of hunting as it has done for just about everything else. It’s not a bad thing, it’s just one of the things that has changed since 10+ years ago. I guarantee you that if you were looking for a lease in 1995, you wouldn’t be checking any hunting forum or lease broker website on your smart phone during your lunch break. Chances are that you would most likely never even know about a lease 300 miles away. You would have actually had to get a newspaper (there may have been an online ad or two) or actually talk to someone face to face about leasing land with a person who probably doesn’t know or have access to info related to the going rate per acre either. All they would know is what their neighbor gets, what they got in the past, and what you’re willing to pay. The point is, they didn’t have access to a wealth of market information but now everyone does. The market has evolved to better balance the supply and demand.

A bit off topic: As for TV, they have done an incredible job promoting hunting in order to sell products. If you don’t believe me, the next time you see somebody driving a truck with a Browning or even a “YETI” stick on the back window of their vehicle. Yeti’s masterful sales and marketing department made coolers so “cool,” that people actually wear Yeti hats, shirts, and put stickers on their truck’s back window! I would have never thought in 100 years that coolers would be that cool, but they managed to convince some folks advertise their product for free. I’m not saying that Yetti’s aren’t great, but so is Colgate tooth paste…..I think they need a Colgate sticker on the back window too. For the record, yes, I have Yeti because my wife saw them advertised on outdoor channel during every commercial break and figured I would like to have one for my birthday; no, no way in hell I'm putting a sticker on my truck. Anyway, the point I’m trying to make is the fact that there are more targeted consumers than ever before, adding more demand for places to hunt while also allowing the leaser/leasee to fully understand the market.

+1. Anybody on here remember the days of hunting before game cameras, before 4 wheelers, before expensive protein feeds, before scents, befor
e grunt calls, etc., etc., etc. How'd we ever kill a deer back then?

Re: The price we pay [Re: cameron00] #5614848 02/23/15 03:38 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: cameron00
Anyone that did levered buys of land over the last 20 years in Texas did well.

Anyone can do it. If they want to.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: The price we pay [Re: passthru] #5614856 02/23/15 03:40 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: passthru
It's sad because just a few years ago I paid cash for 20 acres in Missouri. Today it has quadrupled in value.

Ha!

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: The price we pay [Re: joebass2] #5615036 02/23/15 04:38 PM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: joebass2

To me deer leasing in texas has become more expensive than what its worth or what you get out of it. If we didn't own our property I would have probably quit hunting here and just started hunting out of state... sure, its not cheaper, but it would be worth the expense to me.

I kind of share the same philosophy. I've never paid more than $1,200 for a single lease in my life. I have access to other places that I can hunt all the hogs, varmints, and does I want. I'm always shopping around for land to lease that has better quality deer and I've come across some really interesting places, however, there is a point in which it is just not worth it. I just can't justify paying several thousand dollars more for the opportunity at a buck that will score 30" higher than where I'm at now. I would much rather put that money toward an out of state hunt. I've had the opportunity over the past few years to go on elk and pronghorn hunts, as well as a caribou trip on the Alaskan tundra. These hunts were FAR more fun and adventurous to me than to have shelled out $K’s on a “high dollar” deer lease and to pump deer full of protein for several years, ultimately to end up shooting a 150" plus buck coming into a feeder. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying that I will not continue to hunt deer that way, it is just hard to forgo what I consider much more enjoyable, adventurous, and memorable hunt. That occasional 150” plus buck will can easily end up costing much more trophy elk hunt for example, so that makes my decision easy.

Just another thought, I think that the commercialization of hunting (TV shows, products, commercials, ect.) and the internet have most definitely played a huge role in regard to the economics of hunting as it has done for just about everything else. It’s not a bad thing, it’s just one of the things that has changed since 10+ years ago. I guarantee you that if you were looking for a lease in 1995, you wouldn’t be checking any hunting forum or lease broker website on your smart phone during your lunch break. Chances are that you would most likely never even know about a lease 300 miles away. You would have actually had to get a newspaper (there may have been an online ad or two) or actually talk to someone face to face about leasing land with a person who probably doesn’t know or have access to info related to the going rate per acre either. All they would know is what their neighbor gets, what they got in the past, and what you’re willing to pay. The point is, they didn’t have access to a wealth of market information but now everyone does. The market has evolved to better balance the supply and demand.

A bit off topic: As for TV, they have done an incredible job promoting hunting in order to sell products. If you don’t believe me, the next time you see somebody driving a truck with a Browning or even a “YETI” stick on the back window of their vehicle. Yeti’s masterful sales and marketing department made coolers so “cool,” that people actually wear Yeti hats, shirts, and put stickers on their truck’s back window! I would have never thought in 100 years that coolers would be that cool, but they managed to convince some folks advertise their product for free. I’m not saying that Yetti’s aren’t great, but so is Colgate tooth paste…..I think they need a Colgate sticker on the back window too. For the record, yes, I have Yeti because my wife saw them advertised on outdoor channel during every commercial break and figured I would like to have one for my birthday; no, no way in hell I'm putting a sticker on my truck. Anyway, the point I’m trying to make is the fact that there are more targeted consumers than ever before, adding more demand for places to hunt while also allowing the leaser/leasee to fully understand the market.

+1. Anybody on here remember the days of hunting before game cameras, before 4 wheelers, before expensive protein feeds, before scents, befor

or living without a cell phone or the internet or cable tv or air conditioning or indoor plumbing or a microwave....... isnt it great now compared to then? times change, things get easier, and i like that.

Last edited by jshouse; 02/23/15 04:39 PM.

If I send my neighbors a text and ask them to give me feedback on my lawn and plant rye into a giant dong pattern, I'm probably going to get some less than positive feedback. Same goes here.
Re: The price we pay [Re: jshouse] #5615127 02/23/15 05:11 PM
J
joebass2 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
J
Originally Posted By: jshouse

or living without a cell phone or the internet or cable tv or air conditioning or indoor plumbing or a microwave....... isnt it great now compared to then? times change, things get easier, and i like that.

Totally agree with cell phone, household appiances, etc. Who wouldn't. But when it comes to hunting, seems like it was more rewarding (and definitely less expensive) without all the 'gotta haves'to make it a successful hunt.

Re: The price we pay [Re: txbobcat] #5615280 02/23/15 05:59 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: txbobcat
Originally Posted By: Grosvenor
profitable ranches are NOT the norm

Yep most of those were handed down for free with no land payment.

If you have never bought or paid for a ranch your just guessing....

Running a ranch is no different then owning a company or any other investment.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: The price we pay [Re: therancher] #5615680 02/23/15 08:45 PM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Originally Posted By: therancher

Little riskier with the crude environment now.

But I've got buddies whose dads didn't trust the stock market and just bought land around San Antonio as a "safe place to park it" that are cashing million/month checks now from the Eagle Ford.

Obviously exceptions and some have outperformed and some have underperformed, but Texas land has been a multi-decade bull market with a few brief pullbacks.

Leverage only helps your cause in that circumstance.

Re: The price we pay [Re: cameron00] #5615810 02/23/15 09:42 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: therancher

Little riskier with the crude environment now.

But I've got buddies whose dads didn't trust the stock market and just bought land around San Antonio as a "safe place to park it" that are cashing million/month checks now from the Eagle Ford.

Obviously exceptions and some have outperformed and some have underperformed, but Texas land has been a multi-decade bull market with a few brief pullbacks.

Leverage only helps your cause in that circumstance.

Yep. Agreed. Sometimes it's easier and sometimes more difficult. But it can always be done.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: The price we pay [Re: joebass2] #5623698 02/27/15 03:46 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E

Many folks didn't. Killing a deer these days is fairly easy.

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: The price we pay [Re: 7mag] #5633145 03/04/15 03:20 AM
H
hoof n wings Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
I think part of the problem is there is always someone who will pay the price. My limit is less than $2000 for a year around lease. I've been on great leases in Mason Co for $1000 to crappy leases in Comanche and Palo Pinto for $1200 to $1500.
I think the lease managers drive up prices, but guess some LO don't want to deal with hunters

Originally Posted by ImTheReasonDovesMourn
I'd ask him if he's pregnant. He missed a s__tload of periods.

Originally Posted by Hancock
I'll take "things that look like a uterus" for $200 Alex.
Re: The price we pay [Re: 7mag] #5637765 03/06/15 04:46 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
cheers had ta scrape tagether just for the $25.00 hunting licence & $48.00 public hunting permit. Times is tough. Sincerly huntsolo peep dang Gov. csi tis spying on me. my 2cents I have cheap posts. bolt flag

i'm postaddic
Re: The price we pay [Re: 7mag] #5637793 03/06/15 05:00 PM
N
n-all Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
N
$2500.00 seems to be the magic number ..everywhere..

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide