6248296 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#5598972 - 02/14/15 07:22 AM Quantity or Quality
DQ Kid Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Flower Mound, TX
Would you rather be on a deer lease with lots of quantities of deer where you see many deer a sitting but rarely a trophy or a lease where you see far less deer but regularly some trophy will be seen? Myself, I've been at this for a long time and I get really excited by seeing the big headgear more so than numbers.

#5598985 - 02/14/15 07:28 AM Re: Quantity or Quality [Re: DQ Kid]
batman Offline
Tracker

Quality all the way.

#5598987 - 02/14/15 07:28 AM Re: Quantity or Quality [Re: DQ Kid]
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi

I like it with the place has both- quantity and quality. I also like to see great looking young age classes of bucks that are improving every year. The right place and you can have both which shows the neighbors are also managing.

#5598991 - 02/14/15 07:30 AM Re: Quantity or Quality [Re: DQ Kid]
DQ Kid Offline
Extreme Tracker

Get it Ranch, ideally both but in a situation where both are not present, would it be quality or quantity?

#5599003 - 02/14/15 07:38 AM Re: Quantity or Quality [Re: DQ Kid]
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi

Why can't both be present? If you have one, a number quality bucks in mature deer then it should be present in the younger deer also. Mature deer just don't drop from the sky above, they were all young at one time. Hunting a place with one quality mature deer every so often is not what I call hunting quality deer. That kind of quality is what I would call more of the exception quality. A "quality" place with an exception single quality deer every now and then are not much different than the "quantity" place with an exception single quality deer every now and then.

#5599039 - 02/14/15 08:05 AM Re: Quantity or Quality [Re: stxranchman]
MikeC Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Grayson County
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
I like it with the place has both- quantity and quality. I also like to see great looking young age classes of bucks that are improving every year. The right place and you can have both which shows the neighbors are also managing.

This
But if both aren't a reality I'd rather have quality.

In every old body lives a young person wondering what the hell happened!

#5599060 - 02/14/15 08:15 AM Re: Quantity or Quality [Re: stxranchman]
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Rockwall
Why can't both be present? If you have one, a number quality bucks in mature deer then it should be present in the younger deer also. Mature deer just don't drop from the sky above, they were all young at one time. Hunting a place with one quality mature deer every so often is not what I call hunting quality deer. That kind of quality is what I would call more of the exception quality. A "quality" place with an exception single quality deer every now and then are not much different than the "quantity" place with an exception single quality deer every now and then.

give him some geographical examples DQ...you thinking something like childress vs. llano?

but i know what he's saying, my other place has both, i see close to 10 deer every time i sit and there are some good ones out there.

and give me quality, unless i am with my boys, at this point they are young and need constant action grin

#5599062 - 02/14/15 08:19 AM Re: Quantity or Quality [Re: stxranchman]
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms

Loc: Mansfield, Texas

You would argue with a tree stump trout

Not every place is capable of providing both. Plus, it is a hypothetical. My answer is quality grin

#5599064 - 02/14/15 08:20 AM Re: Quantity or Quality [Re: DQ Kid]
DQ Kid Offline
Extreme Tracker

Yes, high density county ranch vs lower density county ranch.

#5599099 - 02/14/15 08:39 AM Re: Quantity or Quality [Re: DQ Kid]
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants

Loc: Kingwood
I want hi density, I can get quality from that.

#5599104 - 02/14/15 08:45 AM Re: Quantity or Quality [Re: DQ Kid]
Pittstate Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: NE/CO/KS/MO/OK
My daughter is just getting into hunting with me and I will go with quantity right now.

#5599121 - 02/14/15 08:56 AM Re: Quantity or Quality [Re: txshntr]
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi

Originally Posted By: txshntr

Not every place is capable of providing both. Plus, it is a hypothetical. My answer is quality grin

Or fire hydrant... popcorn

#5599123 - 02/14/15 08:58 AM Re: Quantity or Quality [Re: txshntr]
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi

Originally Posted By: txshntr

dunce If a ranch is capable of providing quality then it is producing it in the younger deer. It can do both in a quantity for that area. The big difference will be in the amount of hunters on the acreage to KEEP the quality there. That is big problem on any place, to many hunters all wanting a quality deer each year. Balance the hunters with the deer and you can have both.

#5599157 - 02/14/15 09:20 AM Re: Quantity or Quality [Re: DQ Kid]
JRJ6 Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Dallas, TX
100% quality over quantity

#5599392 - 02/14/15 11:58 AM Re: Quantity or Quality [Re: DQ Kid]
don k Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Bandera, Tx
I maybe wrong but I believe if you took a survey of everyone that bought hunting license the majority would go for quantity. I can get more people that want to hunt than I have deer to hunt. They know they are not going to get a 150" buck. But they do like to see deer. I have several that also lease and they have told me they see more Bucks in one morning here than they do the whole season where they leased. But to each his own. I am just glad that we all get to hunt for whatever it is.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide