Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Quantity or Quality #5598972 02/14/15 01:22 PM
D
DQ Kid Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Would you rather be on a deer lease with lots of quantities of deer where you see many deer a sitting but rarely a trophy or a lease where you see far less deer but regularly some trophy will be seen? Myself, I've been at this for a long time and I get really excited by seeing the big headgear more so than numbers.

Re: Quantity or Quality [Re: DQ Kid] #5598985 02/14/15 01:28 PM
B
batman Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
B
Quality all the way.

Re: Quantity or Quality [Re: DQ Kid] #5598987 02/14/15 01:28 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
I like it with the place has both- quantity and quality. I also like to see great looking young age classes of bucks that are improving every year. The right place and you can have both which shows the neighbors are also managing.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Quantity or Quality [Re: DQ Kid] #5598991 02/14/15 01:30 PM
D
DQ Kid Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Get it Ranch, ideally both but in a situation where both are not present, would it be quality or quantity?

Re: Quantity or Quality [Re: DQ Kid] #5599003 02/14/15 01:38 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Why can't both be present? If you have one, a number quality bucks in mature deer then it should be present in the younger deer also. Mature deer just don't drop from the sky above, they were all young at one time. Hunting a place with one quality mature deer every so often is not what I call hunting quality deer. That kind of quality is what I would call more of the exception quality. A "quality" place with an exception single quality deer every now and then are not much different than the "quantity" place with an exception single quality deer every now and then.

Re: Quantity or Quality [Re: stxranchman] #5599039 02/14/15 02:05 PM
MikeC Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
I like it with the place has both- quantity and quality. I also like to see great looking young age classes of bucks that are improving every year. The right place and you can have both which shows the neighbors are also managing.

This
But if both aren't a reality I'd rather have quality.

www.connerknives.net

In every old body lives a young person wondering what the hell happened!

[Linked Image]
Re: Quantity or Quality [Re: stxranchman] #5599060 02/14/15 02:15 PM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Why can't both be present? If you have one, a number quality bucks in mature deer then it should be present in the younger deer also. Mature deer just don't drop from the sky above, they were all young at one time. Hunting a place with one quality mature deer every so often is not what I call hunting quality deer. That kind of quality is what I would call more of the exception quality. A "quality" place with an exception single quality deer every now and then are not much different than the "quantity" place with an exception single quality deer every now and then.

give him some geographical examples DQ...you thinking something like childress vs. llano?

but i know what he's saying, my other place has both, i see close to 10 deer every time i sit and there are some good ones out there.

and give me quality, unless i am with my boys, at this point they are young and need constant action grin

Originally Posted By: cameron00
If I send my neighbors a text and ask them to give me feedback on my lawn and plant rye into a giant dong pattern, I'm probably going to get some less than positive feedback. Same goes here.
Re: Quantity or Quality [Re: stxranchman] #5599062 02/14/15 02:19 PM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms

You would argue with a tree stump trout

Not every place is capable of providing both. Plus, it is a hypothetical. My answer is quality grin

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Quantity or Quality [Re: DQ Kid] #5599064 02/14/15 02:20 PM
D
DQ Kid Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Yes, high density county ranch vs lower density county ranch.

Re: Quantity or Quality [Re: DQ Kid] #5599099 02/14/15 02:39 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
I want hi density, I can get quality from that.

Re: Quantity or Quality [Re: DQ Kid] #5599104 02/14/15 02:45 PM
P
Pittstate Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
P
My daughter is just getting into hunting with me and I will go with quantity right now.

Re: Quantity or Quality [Re: txshntr] #5599121 02/14/15 02:56 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: txshntr

Not every place is capable of providing both. Plus, it is a hypothetical. My answer is quality grin

Or fire hydrant... popcorn

Re: Quantity or Quality [Re: txshntr] #5599123 02/14/15 02:58 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

dunce If a ranch is capable of providing quality then it is producing it in the younger deer. It can do both in a quantity for that area. The big difference will be in the amount of hunters on the acreage to KEEP the quality there. That is big problem on any place, to many hunters all wanting a quality deer each year. Balance the hunters with the deer and you can have both.

Re: Quantity or Quality [Re: DQ Kid] #5599157 02/14/15 03:20 PM
J
JRJ6 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
100% quality over quantity

Re: Quantity or Quality [Re: DQ Kid] #5599392 02/14/15 05:58 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
I maybe wrong but I believe if you took a survey of everyone that bought hunting license the majority would go for quantity. I can get more people that want to hunt than I have deer to hunt. They know they are not going to get a 150" buck. But they do like to see deer. I have several that also lease and they have told me they see more Bucks in one morning here than they do the whole season where they leased. But to each his own. I am just glad that we all get to hunt for whatever it is.

Re: Quantity or Quality [Re: stxranchman] #5599423 02/14/15 06:34 PM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms

dunce If a ranch is capable of providing quality then it is producing it in the younger deer. It can do both in a quantity for that area. The big difference will be in the amount of hunters on the acreage to KEEP the quality there. That is big problem on any place, to many hunters all wanting a quality deer each year. Balance the hunters with the deer and you can have both.

Not every place is capable of handling additional quantity. Quality and quantity can be relative to the area you are hunting. While some geographic regions provide the oppurtunity to obtain both, many do not.

Re: Quantity or Quality [Re: DQ Kid] #5599431 02/14/15 06:38 PM
D
dlrz71 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
I would say quality as well, but I don't want to hunt all season and only see one deer.

That would get old real quick. I just like watching, videoing and taking pics as much as getting a shot at the big one.

Re: Quantity or Quality [Re: stxranchman] #5599441 02/14/15 06:47 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Why can't both be present? If you have one, a number quality bucks in mature deer then it should be present in the younger deer also. Mature deer just don't drop from the sky above, they were all young at one time. Hunting a place with one quality mature deer every so often is not what I call hunting quality deer. That kind of quality is what I would call more of the exception quality.

Absolutely. It seems very shortsighted to focus on quality alone. Having more deer with a wider range of genetics only makes sense so that you have more to work with in terms of overall development.

Despite what the QDM followers continue to preach, the habitat in our region will safely support much larger concentrations of deer than they would lead so many to believe.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Quantity or Quality [Re: Texas Dan] #5599444 02/14/15 06:50 PM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
Why can't both be present? If you have one, a number quality bucks in mature deer then it should be present in the younger deer also. Mature deer just don't drop from the sky above, they were all young at one time. Hunting a place with one quality mature deer every so often is not what I call hunting quality deer. That kind of quality is what I would call more of the exception quality.

Absolutely. It seems very shortsighted to focus on quality alone. Having more deer with a wider range of genetics only makes sense so that you have more to work with in terms of overall development.

Despite what the QDM followers continue to preach, the habitat in our region will safely support much larger concentrations of deer than they would lead so many to believe.

If that is true, then what is the purpose of supplemental feeding?

Re: Quantity or Quality [Re: Texas Dan] #5599450 02/14/15 06:53 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

The QDMA guys actually have taken the time to study what thier given area can hold and at what levels do they get optimum return.

Saying I skinned a deer and observed fat, means that the animal was actually living animal when you killed it.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Quantity or Quality [Re: txshntr] #5599456 02/14/15 06:56 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

That's going to over the head. We are still talking about a perceptive in ones head that no one knows we're it came from.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Quantity or Quality [Re: txshntr] #5599464 02/14/15 07:04 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
P

It's greatest benefit is to make it easier to harvest deer.

I suspect those who have hunted the same areas for many years have come to realize what I have, that the availability of native browse is what matters most. When browse is more limited during dry years, deer will carry less fat not matter how much you feed them. And during years with plenty of moisture, they will show plenty of fat even when supplemental feed is not available to them.

Simply put, Mother Nature has the greatest say on how well deer eat.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Quantity or Quality [Re: Texas Dan] #5599472 02/14/15 07:10 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
P

It's greatest benefit is to make it easier to harvest deer.

I suspect those who have hunted the same areas for many years have come to realize what I have, that the availability of native browse is what matters most. When browse is more limited during dry years, deer will carry less fat not matter how much you feed them. And during years with plenty of moisture, they will show plenty of fat even when supplemental feed is not available to them.

Body fat is past tense. It's a story of what you already should know.

Even in dry years, lower densities don't show as much variance when supplemental feed is available.
Hence why it's called supplemental feed.

Healthy deer are harder to hunt then poor deer. Why leave when you don't need.

Re: Quantity or Quality [Re: DQ Kid] #5599499 02/14/15 07:46 PM
T
TonyinVA Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
If your question is to FORCE me to choose... "Today you can hunt a ranch with lots of deer but we have never killed or seen a deer over 125" or you can hunt another ranch with much lower deer numbers but several mature bucks on camera and a chance to see a mature buck 150 or better." I go with the latter, but that's just ME....and of course I'd rather have both...but you did not give me that option.

Re: Quantity or Quality [Re: txshntr] #5599501 02/14/15 07:47 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R

Carry more deer inside HF where browse is limited. popcorn

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide