Page 1 of 2 1 2
TPW thinking of closing Turkey season #5589168 02/08/15 07:34 PM
W
White Falcon Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
W
In parts of East Tx. for 2015. In the Dallas paper today.

Last edited by White Falcon; 02/08/15 07:35 PM.
Re: TPW thinking of closing Turkey season [Re: White Falcon] #5589208 02/08/15 08:15 PM
jeh7mmmag Offline
gramps
gramps
Here is Houston story.

Spring turkey hunting season in doubt in many counties

By Shannon Tompkins | February 7, 2015 | Updated: February 7, 2015 8:14pm
http://www.chron.com/sports/outdoors/art...any-6068987.php

�Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in,
where nature may heal and give strength to body and soul.�
~ John Muir
Re: TPW thinking of closing Turkey season [Re: White Falcon] #5590005 02/09/15 04:00 AM
jeh7mmmag Offline
gramps
gramps
Hate to see season closed. They have sure tried hard with transplants over the years.

~ John Muir
Re: TPW thinking of closing Turkey season [Re: White Falcon] #5591159 02/09/15 10:15 PM
kmon11 Offline
junior
junior
Looking at the country in East Texas, one would think the birds would do well. From the stockings that doesn't seem to be the case, don't know if it is poaching or something else. I do know turkey populations can sure fluctuate a lot even in good range.

Some mold that develops on corn can kill turkeys, one large place in Mississippi that illegally was pouring out piles of corn for deer, pretty much killed off their turkey population. Corn from feeders that scatters out the corn doesn't seem to cause the same issue.

Sure wish those birds could take off and do well though. Until then and after that as well, I will just continue hunting the Eastern Turkeys in Mississippi.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: TPW thinking of closing Turkey season [Re: kmon11] #5591197 02/09/15 10:39 PM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: kmon1
Looking at the country in East Texas, one would think the birds would do well. From the stockings that doesn't seem to be the case, don't know if it is poaching or something else. I do know turkey populations can sure fluctuate a lot even in good range.

Some mold that develops on corn can kill turkeys, one large place in Mississippi that illegally was pouring out piles of corn for deer, pretty much killed off their turkey population. Corn from feeders that scatters out the corn doesn't seem to cause the same issue.

Sure wish those birds could take off and do well though. Until then and after that as well, I will just continue hunting the Eastern Turkeys in Mississippi.

I have a place out near Athens and over the years we have seen some Turkey, but they don't seem to last long. Talking to the locals and the biologist, the reasons they usually give are fire ants and predators. Sure seems like they would do well, but the push for the introduction of the turkey in our area has pretty much died off due to failed efforts.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: TPW thinking of closing Turkey season [Re: White Falcon] #5591359 02/10/15 12:35 AM
jeh7mmmag Offline
gramps
gramps
Quote:

Its' aflatoxin and it slowly kill them by destroying their liver when PPB get high. Feeders corn can contribute to the aflatoxin problem when there is poor ventilation, heat exposure, and you condensation from Humidity and corn decomposing found in barrel feeders.

Quote:
High-level aflatoxin exposure produces an acute hepatic necrosis, resulting later in cirrhosis, or carcinoma of the liver. Acute liver failure is made manifest by bleeding, edema, alteration in digestion, changes to the absorption and/or metabolism of nutrients, and mental changes and/or coma.[citation needed]

No animal species is immune to the acute toxic effects of aflatoxins; however, adult humans have a high tolerance for aflatoxin exposure and rarely succumb to acute aflatoxicosis.[14]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aflatoxin

Here is another article on The season.
Quote:

State officials fine-tune approach to returning eastern turkeys to East Texas
http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/more-sp...-east-texas.ece

~ John Muir
Re: TPW thinking of closing Turkey season [Re: White Falcon] #5591464 02/10/15 01:35 AM
A
A.B. Offline
Obi-Wan Kenobi
Obi-Wan Kenobi
A
I haven't seen a turkey in a couple of years on my place. Quail are more common.

Talent is a gift, character is a decision.
Re: TPW thinking of closing Turkey season [Re: White Falcon] #5591840 02/10/15 04:33 AM
L
luvpigmeet Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
Man, sorry to hear that!!

Re: TPW thinking of closing Turkey season [Re: White Falcon] #5591842 02/10/15 04:33 AM
L
luvpigmeet Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
Man, sorry to hear that!!

Re: TPW thinking of closing Turkey season [Re: White Falcon] #5592637 02/10/15 07:18 PM
T
Tjack28 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Some counties probably need to be closed until the super stocking efforts take hold. Only issue I foresee is the few remaining public spots that do have a turkey season will end over crowded with hunters come season...

T. Jackson
NWTF, Harris County Wildlife Group
P.O. Box 91227
Houston, TX 77088
http://www.facebook.com/pages/NWTF-Harris-County-Wildlife-Group/111234152254353
Re: TPW thinking of closing Turkey season [Re: White Falcon] #5595683 02/12/15 02:38 PM
B
Big Daddy K Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
I do not know of any being killed or any one hunting or poaching, or running over ect a turkey in Hopkins, Franklin, Titus, Red River, Morris, Bowie, or Cass County. Ive seen one about 10 years ago in Cass County. A hen in the road on my lease before daylight. She trotted in front of me for probably 30 yds before exiting in to the woods.

It ain't easy being me.

Re: TPW thinking of closing Turkey season [Re: Big Daddy K] #5596010 02/12/15 06:13 PM
T
Tjack28 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Big Daddy K
I do not know of any being killed or any one hunting or poaching, or running over ect a turkey in Hopkins, Franklin, Titus, Red River, Morris, Bowie, or Cass County. Ive seen one about 10 years ago in Cass County. A hen in the road on my lease before daylight. She trotted in front of me for probably 30 yds before exiting in to the woods.

Red River is supposed to be one of the best counties in northeast TX. I hear of quite a few birds coming out of that county each year..

T. Jackson
P.O. Box 91227
Houston, TX 77088
Re: TPW thinking of closing Turkey season [Re: White Falcon] #5596099 02/12/15 06:50 PM
G
Gamblinman Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
I had a good population of Easterns on mine and the neighboring place in Red River county several years ago. Predation and logging have reduced the numbers some, but from what I seen in June, we had a good hatch. That's 2 year in a row for decent hatches. Hope to see a few more 2 year olds running around this year. I was down that way last weekend, but did not hear any gobbling, but its still early.

Gman

" I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt turkeys because I have to."
Re: TPW thinking of closing Turkey season [Re: White Falcon] #5596110 02/12/15 06:55 PM
S
Stump_jumper Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Bobcats love turkeys and there are plenty of bobcats in east TX.. I am sure coyotes get them too but coyotes do not have the turkey killing skills of a bobcat. We had a bobcat in Gillespie county that used our bowhunting platform as a launch pad.

2017 Tundra 5.7 CM 4x4
2006 Champion 2200 Bay Boat
Re: TPW thinking of closing Turkey season [Re: White Falcon] #5596614 02/12/15 11:58 PM
B
Big Daddy K Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
All true but we must have something that places like Mississippi doesn't have to keep Easterns from being successful in NE Texas.

It ain't easy being me.

Re: TPW thinking of closing Turkey season [Re: Big Daddy K] #5596785 02/13/15 01:33 AM
T
Tjack28 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
All true but we must have something that places like Mississippi doesn't have to keep Easterns from being successful in NE Texas.

I think Jason Hardin is on to something when he says that in past releases using the block stocking method too few birds were used which is why super stocking now seems to be the way to go. In a block stocking where 2 or 3 gobblers and about 10 or 12 hens were released if a predator or poacher killed 1 or 2 of the toms that would hinder the breeding efforts. Sure it took on in a few areas but in most areas just left diminishing populations of birds. Since the practice runs of the super stockings were implemented on a few test sites in 2007/08 the results have showed stable to good and growing populations.

Every other southern state has it's share of predators as well and these released turkeys has been surviving them even before they were brought here and released. If we can release enough turkeys in an area the odds for better survival increase. I talked to Jason while he spoke at a youth event we held at Gus Engling last year and he said that when they first started restocking rios in parts of Texas that they previously weren't, they always stocked larger numbers of birds. Now they are in most areas west of I-35 and quite a few areas east of I-35 as well.

Many other states that currently have large eastern populations have also released larger numbers of birds in the past and according to Jason. I think if we continue with the super stocking method and we get more land owners who would like to see more turkeys involved we will start to see an upward trend in the next 5-10 years...and this might require some season closures in some counties.

A lot of our national forest are closed canopy with thick under story which creates a more predation prone environment and hardly any brood habitat. If you some of you landowners think you have some pretty good habitat that's well managed and you either own 10,000 continuous acres or have neighbors you can connect with and can start a co-op consisting of at least 10,000, you can have the biologist come out and let them know you're interested in having a super stocking done.

T. Jackson
P.O. Box 91227
Houston, TX 77088
Re: TPW thinking of closing Turkey season [Re: White Falcon] #5610058 02/20/15 06:32 PM
D
DLALLDER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I am not a turkey hunter but where I deer hunt I have seen several small buches over the last 3-4 years but did not see any at all this deer season. I have a question, what is the grass/weed that turkeys are so crazy over? I have heard that is has a small nut like seed that grows in the ground that makes the turkeys love it. I would plant some if I could remember the name of the grass. Any ideas, anyone. Thanks Daniel

Re: TPW thinking of closing Turkey season [Re: DLALLDER] #5610083 02/20/15 06:44 PM
T
Tjack28 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: DLALLDER
I am not a turkey hunter but where I deer hunt I have seen several small buches over the last 3-4 years but did not see any at all this deer season. I have a question, what is the grass/weed that turkeys are so crazy over? I have heard that is has a small nut like seed that grows in the ground that makes the turkeys love it. I would plant some if I could remember the name of the grass. Any ideas, anyone. Thanks Daniel

Chuffa

T. Jackson
P.O. Box 91227
Houston, TX 77088
Re: TPW thinking of closing Turkey season [Re: Tjack28] #5610162 02/20/15 07:35 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Originally Posted By: Tjack28

I think Jason Hardin is on to something when he says that in past releases using the block stocking method too few birds were used which is why super stocking now seems to be the way to go. In a block stocking where 2 or 3 gobblers and about 10 or 12 hens were released if a predator or poacher killed 1 or 2 of the toms that would hinder the breeding efforts. Sure it took on in a few areas but in most areas just left diminishing populations of birds. Since the practice runs of the super stockings were implemented on a few test sites in 2007/08 the results have showed stable to good and growing populations.

Every other southern state has it's share of predators as well and these released turkeys has been surviving them even before they were brought here and released. If we can release enough turkeys in an area the odds for better survival increase. I talked to Jason while he spoke at a youth event we held at Gus Engling last year and he said that when they first started restocking rios in parts of Texas that they previously weren't, they always stocked larger numbers of birds. Now they are in most areas west of I-35 and quite a few areas east of I-35 as well.

Many other states that currently have large eastern populations have also released larger numbers of birds in the past and according to Jason. I think if we continue with the super stocking method and we get more land owners who would like to see more turkeys involved we will start to see an upward trend in the next 5-10 years...and this might require some season closures in some counties.

A lot of our national forest are closed canopy with thick under story which creates a more predation prone environment and hardly any brood habitat. If you some of you landowners think you have some pretty good habitat that's well managed and you either own 10,000 continuous acres or have neighbors you can connect with and can start a co-op consisting of at least 10,000, you can have the biologist come out and let them know you're interested in having a super stocking done.

A lot of property in general is like that in ETX due to timber management practices. Even where they've been released and birds are stacked up like cord wood, they aren't moving into the pretty pristine river bottoms adjacent to those properties. They're having to trap from there and release across the river because the birds just aren't expanding. Study was done on the place my wife's family has tied up in a lease and they were putting traps around nests and caught the heck out of wood rats.

Re: TPW thinking of closing Turkey season [Re: White Falcon] #5610588 02/21/15 12:04 AM
D
DLALLDER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
TJack, Thanks for the information. Daniel

Re: TPW thinking of closing Turkey season [Re: rifleman] #5610691 02/21/15 01:08 AM
T
Tjack28 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: rifleman

A lot of property in general is like that in ETX due to timber management practices. Even where they've been released and birds are stacked up like cord wood, they aren't moving into the pretty pristine river bottoms adjacent to those properties. They're having to trap from there and release across the river because the birds just aren't expanding. Study was done on the place my wife's family has tied up in a lease and they were putting traps around nests and caught the heck out of wood rats.

In a lot of areas where the super stockings they have been moving. According to Jason birds are starting to be seen in places miles away from the original 2007/08 super stocking site. I've mentioned this before but we've had birds gobbling on our neighbors place just outside of Frankston which is over 20 miles north of the original site. I may be slowly progressing but it's happening. Usually you'll start seeing young males looking for new territory first.

T. Jackson
P.O. Box 91227
Houston, TX 77088
Re: TPW thinking of closing Turkey season [Re: DLALLDER] #5610693 02/21/15 01:09 AM
T
Tjack28 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: DLALLDER
TJack, Thanks for the information. Daniel

No problem..

T. Jackson
P.O. Box 91227
Houston, TX 77088
Re: TPW thinking of closing Turkey season [Re: Tjack28] #5610793 02/21/15 02:02 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Originally Posted By: rifleman

In a lot of areas where the super stockings they have been moving. According to Jason birds are starting to be seen in places miles away from the original 2007/08 super stocking site. I've mentioned this before but we've had birds gobbling on our neighbors place just outside of Frankston which is over 20 miles north of the original site. I may be slowly progressing but it's happening. Usually you'll start seeing young males looking for new territory first.

These newly released aren't moving much at all, they're still roosting right around the release site. They'll have to do something when the forest service does another controlled burn.

Re: TPW thinking of closing Turkey season [Re: White Falcon] #5611357 02/21/15 02:47 PM
J
jdickey Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Just spent last weekend in the north end of Davy Crockett NF, saw two groups of toms and hens. Lots of tracks/scratchings too, all near the Neches River.

Bigfoot Research Specialist
http://www.texlaresearch.com/
Re: TPW thinking of closing Turkey season [Re: White Falcon] #5617752 02/24/15 07:48 PM
L
LarryCopper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide