Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Hollow Point Bullet Question [Re: DCmac] #5596714 02/13/15 12:54 AM
R
RiverRider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
What would the Hornady guys know about bullets anyway?

roflmao

[Linked Image]

"Arguing with you always makes me thirsty."

-Augustus McRae
Re: Hollow Point Bullet Question [Re: TheOilman] #5596745 02/13/15 01:12 AM
B
blackcoal Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: Haydend
Guys a simple youtube search will show you a bunch of videos that prove the theory behind the Hornady bullet. Yes it works and works well. Not trying to be an [censored] but the engineers at Hornady are a little more qualifed on the matter than a few guys on a forum. You can always order some ballistic gel and test yourself like the people on the videos, if you do I bet you will be carrying Hornady in your CCW like me.

Thanks for reminding us that if it is on You Tube then it is true. And are you saying Hornady is the only company that has good engineers. And it is apparent you have not read what Hornady has to say about the ammo.

The Greatest Enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge.--Stephen Hawking
Re: Hollow Point Bullet Question [Re: ChadTRG42] #5596753 02/13/15 01:16 AM
B
blackcoal Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
The world must be flat and the engineers at Hornady don't know a thing about terminal ballistics!

Wow, what a fantastic sig line cheerleader

The Greatest Enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge.--Stephen Hawking
Re: Hollow Point Bullet Question [Re: DCmac] #5596829 02/13/15 01:51 AM
10ring Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Not that I've personally experienced it or done the tests...but I've read quite a few articles that showed how bad sheet rock filled up a hollow point and actually made the bullet penetrate and travel further inside of a structure than fmj ball ammo. The stories described that a hollow point may not be the best or safest personal defense round to fire inside of an apartment or house in that a miss could potentially allow a hollow point to travel further into adjoining rooms. Again, just a topic of conversation I've read about...

Re: Hollow Point Bullet Question [Re: blackcoal] #5596844 02/13/15 01:58 AM
T
TheOilman Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
Originally Posted By: blackcoal
Guys a simple youtube search will show you a bunch of videos that prove the theory behind the Hornady bullet. Yes it works and works well. Not trying to be an [censored] but the engineers at Hornady are a little more qualifed on the matter than a few guys on a forum. You can always order some ballistic gel and test yourself like the people on the videos, if you do I bet you will be carrying Hornady in your CCW like me.

Thanks for reminding us that if it is on You Tube then it is true. And are you saying Hornady is the only company that has good engineers. And it is apparent you have not read what Hornady has to say about the ammo.

I can see this is getting to be pointless , no not everything on the internet is true but some of these videos are pretty straight forward. Please englighten me on what Hornady has to say about their own ammo? And as far as other companies engineers I don't remember discussing them, I was only talking about this one type of ammo on how it does work and that there is a logical need for it.

Re: Hollow Point Bullet Question [Re: DCmac] #5596914 02/13/15 02:22 AM
B
bluetopper Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
I have heard of long range silhouette shooters filling up hollow points with play dough and letting them dry before competitions.

Last edited by parisite; 02/13/15 02:23 AM.

Uprisings started or quelled, tornadoes rerouted, elections rigged.
Re: Hollow Point Bullet Question [Re: RiverRider] #5596962 02/13/15 02:43 AM
G
Gravytrain Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
G
Originally Posted By: RiverRider
Not trying to be an [censored] but the engineers at Hornady are a little more qualifed on the matter than a few guys on a forum.

Aw, you're just no fun.
stir

Don't forget those "Engineers" putting together and QA'ing Hornady ammo have been
known to screw the pooch occasionally a well. Although their Critical Duty handgun
ammo seems to get more care than some of their loaded hunting ammo.

Upon us all, upon us all, a little rain must fall
Re: Hollow Point Bullet Question [Re: RiverRider] #5597381 02/13/15 01:32 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Not trying to be an [censored] but the engineers at Hornady are a little more qualifed on the matter than a few guys on a forum.

Yeah and their job is to make hornady money. Has anyone scraped the magic polymer tip off? I just don't believe that if the HP clogging is the reason the bullets don't work that clogging them from the get go is the solution.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Hollow Point Bullet Question [Re: DCmac] #5597595 02/13/15 03:31 PM
R
RiverRider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
I guess the polymer tips on BTs, Accubonds, and A-Maxes inhibit expansion also then.

[Linked Image]

-Augustus McRae
Re: Hollow Point Bullet Question [Re: RiverRider] #5597848 02/13/15 06:17 PM
T
TheOilman Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
I guess the polymer tips on BTs, Accubonds, and A-Maxes inhibit expansion also then.

The polymer tips perform the exact same way as the rubber in the hps.

Re: Hollow Point Bullet Question [Re: RiverRider] #5597877 02/13/15 06:41 PM
J
JCB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J

I was wondering when someone was going to bring that up. I could write a book about how flawed that comparison is though.

The key here is velocity. The impact velocity of most pistol rounds is at or below 1K FPS. Because of this low impact velocity a hollow point is needed to aid in the expansion of the bullet. Rifle bullets have velocity on their side so no hollow point is needed for the "mushroom" effect at higher impact velocities. That's why you don't see many hollow point rifle bullets because it is not needed. The polymer tip on the Accubond, BT's, A-Max, etc is there for aerodynamics......not to prevent a hollow point cavity from filling up with material, flesh, etc. Slow those Accubonds, BT's, etc. down to pistol impact velocities and see what happens.

I aint knocking the Critical Defense ammo because I haven't tried it. I am just saying that it goes against everything I have leaned about hollow point pistol ammo over the years.

Re: Hollow Point Bullet Question [Re: DCmac] #5597915 02/13/15 07:11 PM
R
RiverRider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
I believe that Nosler will tell you that the polymer tips on their bullets help to initiate expansion.

[Linked Image]

-Augustus McRae
Re: Hollow Point Bullet Question [Re: RiverRider] #5597920 02/13/15 07:18 PM
J
JCB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
I believe that Nosler will tell you that the polymer tips on their bullets help to initiate expansion.

Of course they do. A lead tip on a soft point does the same thing though. It still comes down to velocity.

Re: Hollow Point Bullet Question [Re: DCmac] #5598021 02/13/15 08:37 PM
R
RiverRider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Whatever. I don't care to argue with anyone over this. Better things to do.

[Linked Image]

-Augustus McRae
Re: Hollow Point Bullet Question [Re: JCB] #5598194 02/13/15 10:25 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: JCB

I was wondering when someone was going to bring that up. I could write a book about how flawed that comparison is though.

The key here is velocity. The impact velocity of most pistol rounds is at or below 1K FPS. Because of this low impact velocity a hollow point is needed to aid in the expansion of the bullet. Rifle bullets have velocity on their side so no hollow point is needed for the "mushroom" effect at higher impact velocities. That's why you don't see many hollow point rifle bullets because it is not needed. The polymer tip on the Accubond, BT's, A-Max, etc is there for aerodynamics......not to prevent a hollow point cavity from filling up with material, flesh, etc. Slow those Accubonds, BT's, etc. down to pistol impact velocities and see what happens.

I aint knocking the Critical Defense ammo because I haven't tried it. I am just saying that it goes against everything I have leaned about hollow point pistol ammo over the years.

Sorry, but that is not correct. Rifle to pistol is apples to oranges. I stop commenting on a topic when it gets a little crazy. But a better understanding of terminal performance and "why" bullets open and do not open will give a more full understanding.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Hollow Point Bullet Question [Re: Gravytrain] #5599168 02/14/15 03:26 PM
B
boxerrider Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
Originally Posted By: Gravytrain
I'm of the opinion that fmj is best in 380 for defense.
But hey I could be wrong.

I agree - penetration first and expansion second. .380 is popular because the pistols that shoot it are usually very carry-friendly. If I carried one I would want to maximize penetration, and to me that means heavy, ball ammo.
That she is carrying is great!

Enjoy!

Re: Hollow Point Bullet Question [Re: DCmac] #5599905 02/15/15 02:41 AM
J
JCB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
Been watching You Tube videos of the Critical Defense tests. For the most part the Critical Defense does OK but one thing that seems to be pretty common is it has a habit of shedding some petals because they are so thin. I figure that's how they get the expansion with the plugged tip.

Since the OP was asking about 38/380 pay close attention to the 380 tests in this video. The results pretty much confirm what I was saying about bullet choice in the 380. Also note near the end of the video where he talks about velocity of the 9mm vs. 380 when it comes to expansion. wink In my opinion the 380 Critical Defense failed pretty bad in these tests.

Re: Hollow Point Bullet Question [Re: DCmac] #5600090 02/15/15 06:13 AM
D
DannyB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Expansion--from what--the diameter you start with? Some people carry a 22. Some carry a 45. However, no matter what anybody carries they debate this expansion issue. If you carry a 22 then maybe you should be happy with an expansion to a 9mm? If you carry a 9mm would you be content with an expansion to a 40 or 45? I think I would rather place a little more emphasis on reliability and penetration.

I have been looking at the Buffalo Bore site some lately. I am considering this for the LCP. They have some pretty hot ammo for regular pressure pocket guns. https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=216

The 380 auto inhabits a valuable and useful place in our society, mostly because of the easily concealable, tiny pistols chambered for it. HOWEVER, because of the very limited size of the cartridge, it is plagued with limited power and therefore most of the existing ammo in 380 auto suffers from not being reliable as a man-stopper. We've studied and played with nearly all of the existing available 380 ammo and find it wanting as a reliable means of self defense, especially against a large, insane, drugged up/pain free, determined attacker.

Here's the problem. The current 380 auto frangible ammo delivers a large amount of surface trauma, but lacks serious penetration. For example, if you shot me or another sane man in the face with modern frangible 380 ammo, it would blow off a big portion of my cheek and send a few teeth down my throat, I would undoubtedly fall to the ground in shock and pain, but I would be very much alive and functional if I could get past the shock and pain as that frangible bullet would have stopped some where inside my face, never making it to my brain. However, if you shot a drugged up maniac in the face with that same frangible 380 ammo and blew half his cheek off, he would keep right on coming because he is insane and is not thinking like you or I. Plus, he is likely pain free and fear free and wont know that half his cheek is missing and if he did know, he would not care. So whatever 380 ammo you shoot him in the face with, had better go through his face and blow his brain stem out the back of his head, because only a CNS (central nervous system) hit with a 380 is going to stop him. Likewise, a torso hit to the sternum needs to penetrate deep enough to blow all the way through his spine in order to shut him down spontaneously. If you fail to shut him down instantly, you and your loved ones are going to have to find a way to survive while you wait for him to bleed out and pass out. The best chance of survival for you and your family is to shut down the attacker instantly. So, we've designed a few 380 auto standard pressure loads to keep you and your loved ones alive under the worst of scenarios.

Item 27E/20 is a 100gr. HARD cast bullet with a flat nose. It is traveling over 1,000 fps out of my 3.75 inch BDA (Browning Double Action). We've used a flash suppressed powder for all three of our 380 auto loads so that you wont be blinded by your own gunfire if you have to shoot in the dark and since around 95% of all civilian shootings in America occur in low light, the chances that your own gunfire will blind you while you are trying to save your life, are good - we've eliminated this variable by using flash suppressed powder. We've also chosen a flat nosed solid bullet. The flat on the nose ensures that the bullet will cut/smash its way through flesh and bone and do much more destruction than typical round nose FMJ bullets. Round nosed bullets tend to slip and slide through matter, doing little damage as opposed to a flat nosed bullet. The flat nose not only wounds much more than a round nosed bullet, but it actually keeps the penetration straight and thus deeper. Notice the below velocities recorded from my personal 380 auto pistols. These are real world guns and thus the speeds are realistic and not exaggerated speeds produced from laboratory test barrels. What you see with Buffalo Bore Ammo, is truly what you get in the "real world", where it matters. You can expect 20+ inches of straight-line penetration in flesh and bone with this load. If you are worried about over penetration with this load, DON'T! You chose to carry a tiny under-powered 380 auto pistol and the trade-off is that you are now going to have to stay alive with that pistol and over penetration will be the least of your worries if you end up needing this gun to save yourself or your family.

1. BDA-3.75 inch barrel-----1011 fps
2. Walther PPK-3.5 inch barrel-----995 fps
3. Colt Mustang Pocket Lite-2.75 inch barrel----910 fps
4. Keltec----902 fps

Re: Hollow Point Bullet Question [Re: DannyB] #5600900 02/15/15 11:40 PM
T
TheOilman Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
Originally Posted By: DannyB
Expansion--from what--the diameter you start with? Some people carry a 22. Some carry a 45. However, no matter what anybody carries they debate this expansion issue. If you carry a 22 then maybe you should be happy with an expansion to a 9mm? If you carry a 9mm would you be content with an expansion to a 40 or 45? I think I would rather place a little more emphasis on reliability and penetration.

I have been looking at the Buffalo Bore site some lately. I am considering this for the LCP. They have some pretty hot ammo for regular pressure pocket guns. https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=216

The 380 auto inhabits a valuable and useful place in our society, mostly because of the easily concealable, tiny pistols chambered for it. HOWEVER, because of the very limited size of the cartridge, it is plagued with limited power and therefore most of the existing ammo in 380 auto suffers from not being reliable as a man-stopper. We've studied and played with nearly all of the existing available 380 ammo and find it wanting as a reliable means of self defense, especially against a large, insane, drugged up/pain free, determined attacker.

Here's the problem. The current 380 auto frangible ammo delivers a large amount of surface trauma, but lacks serious penetration. For example, if you shot me or another sane man in the face with modern frangible 380 ammo, it would blow off a big portion of my cheek and send a few teeth down my throat, I would undoubtedly fall to the ground in shock and pain, but I would be very much alive and functional if I could get past the shock and pain as that frangible bullet would have stopped some where inside my face, never making it to my brain. However, if you shot a drugged up maniac in the face with that same frangible 380 ammo and blew half his cheek off, he would keep right on coming because he is insane and is not thinking like you or I. Plus, he is likely pain free and fear free and wont know that half his cheek is missing and if he did know, he would not care. So whatever 380 ammo you shoot him in the face with, had better go through his face and blow his brain stem out the back of his head, because only a CNS (central nervous system) hit with a 380 is going to stop him. Likewise, a torso hit to the sternum needs to penetrate deep enough to blow all the way through his spine in order to shut him down spontaneously. If you fail to shut him down instantly, you and your loved ones are going to have to find a way to survive while you wait for him to bleed out and pass out. The best chance of survival for you and your family is to shut down the attacker instantly. So, we've designed a few 380 auto standard pressure loads to keep you and your loved ones alive under the worst of scenarios.

Item 27E/20 is a 100gr. HARD cast bullet with a flat nose. It is traveling over 1,000 fps out of my 3.75 inch BDA (Browning Double Action). We've used a flash suppressed powder for all three of our 380 auto loads so that you wont be blinded by your own gunfire if you have to shoot in the dark and since around 95% of all civilian shootings in America occur in low light, the chances that your own gunfire will blind you while you are trying to save your life, are good - we've eliminated this variable by using flash suppressed powder. We've also chosen a flat nosed solid bullet. The flat on the nose ensures that the bullet will cut/smash its way through flesh and bone and do much more destruction than typical round nose FMJ bullets. Round nosed bullets tend to slip and slide through matter, doing little damage as opposed to a flat nosed bullet. The flat nose not only wounds much more than a round nosed bullet, but it actually keeps the penetration straight and thus deeper. Notice the below velocities recorded from my personal 380 auto pistols. These are real world guns and thus the speeds are realistic and not exaggerated speeds produced from laboratory test barrels. What you see with Buffalo Bore Ammo, is truly what you get in the "real world", where it matters. You can expect 20+ inches of straight-line penetration in flesh and bone with this load. If you are worried about over penetration with this load, DON'T! You chose to carry a tiny under-powered 380 auto pistol and the trade-off is that you are now going to have to stay alive with that pistol and over penetration will be the least of your worries if you end up needing this gun to save yourself or your family.

4. Keltec----902 fps

I would LOVE to see some proof the of this.

Last edited by Haydend; 02/15/15 11:46 PM.
Re: Hollow Point Bullet Question [Re: TheOilman] #5601320 02/16/15 03:25 AM
D
DannyB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D

4. Keltec----902 fps

Yeah, I guess that would require a human corpse. grin

Re: Hollow Point Bullet Question [Re: DannyB] #5601350 02/16/15 03:39 AM
T
TheOilman Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T

4. Keltec----902 fps

Yeah, I guess that would require a human corpse. grin

Naa there is plenty of materials out there these days that one could simulate this. Let be honest they are talking out their [censored] on this. I would be willing to bet they did no kinda of research to make this claim they just thought it sounded good and would help sell ammo. At least Hornady provided videos showing regular hollow points getting clogged then videos of their ammo working.

Re: Hollow Point Bullet Question [Re: DCmac] #5601397 02/16/15 04:15 AM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Regular hollowpoints getting clogged by enough clothing that it might not open is generally a winter time issue, especially in the Southern states. Summer time clothing just does not offer enough material to plug a hollowpoint. 20 plus years ago tested some Federal Hydro shocks and they expanded every time while a couple cheap hollow points did not from a 38 special. Test media was from an old leather jacket, flannel shirt and tee shirt material taped to the first of stacked milk jugs full of water. All the bullets expanded in the test when just shot into the water jugs.

I like to have a couple HP (hydro shock) followed buy FMJ. One shot stop would be nice but in the sub calibers do not count on it stopping a situation where deadly force is needed. That is why we do not carry single shots for self defense. Shoot until the threat is stopped.

Testing bullets, ever trap hogs. Hogs in smaller traps make for a good bullet test media. Sure not for testing with clothing on but for wound channels and such they are great.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Hollow Point Bullet Question [Re: DCmac] #5602284 02/16/15 06:46 PM
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Wow y'all are a bunch of bullet geeks! I did make a mental note NOT to shoot the bad guy in the belly button. I was just thinking that if I shot him in the navel it would not leave a scar. Y'all have taken that away from me!

Cast

[Linked Image]

I have a short attention spa
Re: Hollow Point Bullet Question [Re: DCmac] #5610961 02/21/15 03:20 AM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
As far as the penetration of hard-cast, flat nosed bullets is concerned, I can tell you that it is there. I am wondering why a person wouldn't just carry a soft point in their pistol.

The secret to a long life is to try not to shorten it.
Re: Hollow Point Bullet Question [Re: DCmac] #5611408 02/21/15 03:18 PM
stxhunter Offline
Tracker
Tracker
I thought this was a pretty good test here using the smaller 380 pistols.

Last edited by stxhunter; 02/21/15 03:18 PM.

www.bigpiglights.com
Specializing in Hog Hunting and Night Vision Equipment
(956)793-0904
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide