Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Hog doggers on public land [Re: stxranchman] #5626301 02/28/15 06:56 PM
S
SniperRAB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
When a LO has to continually take his problem to the dogs owners...then it shows who cares more about the dogs. I am not going to change the way I take care of my place for sake of an irresponsible dog owner.

Yepper, do they still make them Cyanide Bombs...I just had a light bulb moment w Coons roflmao

Re: Hog doggers on public land [Re: Dave Davidson] #5626492 02/28/15 08:39 PM
A
aerangis Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
A
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson
OK, rural dog lovers, what does a landowner/hunter do about dogs?

Been down this road with a dog that escaped it's owner at a Navarro Co. state park campsite and harassed some of my dads herd. My old man saw the dog going after a calf on his property adjacent to the park, shot it, owners saw the incident and called the sheriff, who after investigating the matter told said owners to do a better job keeping their dog on a leash in the park as it was a violation of law not to do so.

My dad is a hard man when it comes to his herd. Woe to the stray dog or cat caught acting up on his property. He was ruthless (and myself as well) when it came to getting rid of feral cats and dogs, but he has taken in a stray dog and become more forgiving towards strays in his old age. A few years back we were building fence along a COE boundary and found a mutt curled up in a post hole we'd dug the previous day. My old man was getting ready to set a post and hollered to come over and look at this. I thought it was a snake or some other critter but it was a medium sized terrier mix curled up in a ball in the bottom of the hole. It was obvious she was someone's pet so we took her to the house and he kept her. Her name was Milly, goofy as could be and a piss ant, she was a good dog.

My apologies for going off on a tangent. I'd forgotten about it until I hit this thread.

Re: Hog doggers on public land [Re: SniperRAB] #5626495 02/28/15 08:40 PM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: SniperRAB
When a LO has to continually take his problem to the dogs owners...then it shows who cares more about the dogs. I am not going to change the way I take care of my place for sake of an irresponsible dog owner.

Yepper, do they still make them Cyanide Bombs...I just had a light bulb moment w Coons roflmao

They do. Our ranch has them during the off season

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Hog doggers on public land [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5626515 02/28/15 08:49 PM
S
Smith#34 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
Originally Posted By: Smith#34
Nobody said anything about having the right to trespass. It's cowardly to kill a persons dog for no reason other than running livestock. Killing for the fact of being there is wrong. Take your problems to the owner.

Do you know how many calves/sheep/goats are killed by dogs?
Do you know the owner of every dog you see?
Do you know that some dogs don't even have owners?

Yes I have had dogs kills calves before, yes they were killed in their owners yard. Maybe we're not on the same page, I don't know. I'm just saying that if I walk outside and see a dog crossing my place, running back inside to grab a gun is not the first thing that comes to mind.

Thermal Hog Hunting
Nightshiftoutfitters.com

Brent Smith
(903)449-3923
Re: Hog doggers on public land [Re: 1860.colt] #5626523 02/28/15 08:54 PM
A
aerangis Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
A
Originally Posted By: colt.45
People drop off dogs, cats......

That happened quite a bit at the state park near my folks house. Cats and dogs.

This is an entirely different situation, but I recently heard of a dog found in a crate in an apartment that had been abandoned by the occupants. They left the dog behind when they moved and it was a couple months before it was found. For the life of me I cannot fathom the mind set of a person that could do such a thing.

When I was younger, I wouldn't have thought twice about shooting a stray harassing our cows. Now, I wouldn't do it unless the dog was attacking livestock.

Re: Hog doggers on public land [Re: Diverdown] #5627279 03/01/15 02:41 AM
R
Ronnie Oneal Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
99.999% of coon dogs are not going to attack livestock. bang . For you guys that think yall are going to just shoot a hound and smash the GPS tracking collar and just sneak out of there without anybody knowing then you need to check into how the GPS trackers work and how closely most of the hunters watch them. Think what you want but go ahead and go shoot you a couple hounds and see if it don't cause you more grief than its worth. I totally understand you not wanting people trespassing on your property but them dogs are not there trying to eat your cows or whatever. To each his own but I would hope you would reconsider killing a hound just for getting onto your property. It's crazy how times have changed. Really kind of sad. Let me state that in no way do I think trespassing is right but going crazy on somebodies hounds is not right in my eyes either. If they are truly attacking livestock which they won't be, by all means do what you got to do. I would just hope people/hunters wouldn't just want to kill a dog bc it was to cross a fence.

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCQa5cwBGes6Kp0cGQOj2Brw

NIGHT CREW TV on YouTube ☝️☝️☝️

https://m.facebook.com/nightcrewfans/

NIGHT CREW TV Facebook☝️☝️☝️
Re: Hog doggers on public land [Re: Ronnie Oneal] #5627297 03/01/15 02:49 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: Ronnie Oneal
99.999% of coon dogs are not going to attack livestock. bang . For you guys that think yall are going to just shoot a hound and smash the GPS tracking collar and just sneak out of there without anybody knowing then you need to check into how the GPS trackers work and how closely most of the hunters watch them. Think what you want but go ahead and go shoot you a couple hounds and see if it don't cause you more grief than its worth. I totally understand you not wanting people trespassing on your property but them dogs are not there trying to eat your cows or whatever. To each his own but I would hope you would reconsider killing a hound just for getting onto your property. It's crazy how times have changed. Really kind of sad. Let me state that in no way do I think trespassing is right but going crazy on somebodies hounds is not right in my eyes either. If they are truly attacking livestock which they won't be, by all means do what you got to do. I would just hope people/hunters wouldn't just want to kill a dog bc it was to cross a fence.

If a person who is running dogs takes the time to call AHEAD of time then there would not be many issues. He would have alerted the LO that is possible a dog might get across on their land and ask if it will be an issue. That never happens 99.9% of the time. If I got that call I can assure you I will tell them I have leg catch traps set and if they truly care about their dogs then they need to be aware of that. Seems like the old days of calling and asking for permission have gone away. It seems the standard today is just use the excuse that a dog can't understand what a fence is and let them run. If you can not keep your dogs on the property you have permission to hunt on the find a larger place to run them on or ask enough neighbors for permission to keep you from trespassing.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Hog doggers on public land [Re: Diverdown] #5627313 03/01/15 02:55 AM
R
Ronnie Oneal Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Ok yall win. Kill all of them you want. Have fun posting your bail bc you better have some damn good proof the hounds attacked your livestock or something.

Re: Hog doggers on public land [Re: Diverdown] #5627320 03/01/15 02:58 AM
R
Ronnie Oneal Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Catching one in a leg trap or snare is totally different than shooting one. If they get on your place and get in a trap then yes tough luck to the hunter. Don't blame on you there.

Re: Hog doggers on public land [Re: Ronnie Oneal] #5627323 03/01/15 02:58 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Ok yall win. Kill all of them you want. Have fun posting your bail bc you better have some damn good proof the hounds attacked your livestock or something.

Where in my post does it say anything about attacking livestock and me killing man's dog? I posted I have leg catch traps set and if his dogs trespass then it will be his issue to deal with, not mine from that point on. He will and/or his dogs will still be trespassing without LO permission. You can not get around that fact however you try to spin it.

Re: Hog doggers on public land [Re: Ronnie Oneal] #5627331 03/01/15 03:01 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Catching one in a leg trap or snare is totally different than shooting one. If they get on your place and get in a trap then yes tough luck to the hunter. Don't blame on you there.

I also thinking about using Conibear traps this spring so I would think if anyone cares about their dogs as much as I do about mine they would be eager to know that before they let them run where ever they want.

Re: Hog doggers on public land [Re: Diverdown] #5627349 03/01/15 03:12 AM
R
Ronnie Oneal Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
I wasn't talking about your post as far as the livestock is concerned. That's most people's first thing they say. Sir you can trap or kill all of them you want. Like I said to each his own. We can argue all day about this and I won't change your mind or anybody elses. I do not like trespassing so I couldn't blame anybody for getting upset over it. Killing a hound over it in my opinion is not worth the bull crap your going to have to deal with.

Re: Hog doggers on public land [Re: Diverdown] #5627356 03/01/15 03:16 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
They don't have to attack livestock to kill them....

Re: Hog doggers on public land [Re: Diverdown] #5627362 03/01/15 03:20 AM
R
Ronnie Oneal Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
I think this dead horse we are beating has been dead for awhile!!!! You fellas have a good one.

Re: Hog doggers on public land [Re: Diverdown] #5627380 03/01/15 03:28 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
It has been beaten on for years, folks just may not have seen what stressed calves do from dogs that are just wanting to be playful. No biting, no attacking, just wanting to run them and bark at them for a little while then go on about their business.

Re: Hog doggers on public land [Re: Ronnie Oneal] #5627381 03/01/15 03:28 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
I wasn't talking about your post as far as the livestock is concerned. That's most people's first thing they say. Sir you can trap or kill all of them you want. Like I said to each his own. We can argue all day about this and I won't change your mind or anybody elses. I do not like trespassing so I couldn't blame anybody for getting upset over it. Killing a hound over it in my opinion is not worth the bull crap your going to have to deal with.

If a hound owner really cared enough about his hound(s) this would never be an issue. A simple phone call or dropping in to visit a neighbor to ask permission first would solve any issues before hand. That day is long gone it seems in many areas. The hound will be lost, caught, injured or killed due to its owner not caring enough to do this before hand. It is all about who cares more about what happens to their property at that point. Trespassing is not trespassing when you have permission in my book.

Re: Hog doggers on public land [Re: stxranchman] #5627610 03/01/15 06:22 AM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45

If a hound owner really cared enough about his hound(s) this would never be an issue. A simple phone call or dropping in to visit a neighbor to ask permission first would solve any issues before hand. That day is long gone it seems in many areas. The hound will be lost, caught, injured or killed due to its owner not caring enough to do this before hand. It is all about who cares more about what happens to their property at that point. Trespassing is not trespassing when you have permission in my book.
2cents we've had dog wars for years, ran cattle, people moved in, dogs run loose, tried the neighborly way & talk. No good, they just buy more dogs. We've had some come ta house no collar, kept as pets for kids, put on chain. Last one learned ta back out of collar. Found shot by mail box. Have more pics of dogs than hog's & deer combined on trail cam's. scratch makes a tougher hunt, keeps hogs away. Didn't see any deer while hunting this year only sat hand ful of times. It don't do no good ta complain. People try, they knock over trash also. They just get more dogs. For those who hunt with dog's understand their side. AT OSBWMA if see a stray do what can ta find owner. flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Hog doggers on public land [Re: Diverdown] #5627745 03/01/15 02:06 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Just had a couple of guys run their dogs on our lease and we always welcome them this time of year for the benefit of helping control the pigs. Doesn't bother me at all because, being a past hound owner myself, I know they and their dogs are after one thing only -hogs. The damage that hogs create to food plots and roads, which makes it tougher on my tractor, is what bothers me. I wish they could hunt and kill every last one of them.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Hog doggers on public land [Re: Diverdown] #5628853 03/01/15 11:26 PM
L
longhorn_cop Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
L
If you truly loved your dogs youd keep them off others property.
If you cant be sure they will stay on the correct property why would you turn them loose with the chance of being shot?
Either you really love them or its an excuse to let your dogs run free any property line be damned.
Just sayin

Re: Hog doggers on public land [Re: Diverdown] #5628920 03/01/15 11:57 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Thank goodness there is no one around here that has hog dogs. Just town dogs that don't usually make the trip back to town.

Re: Hog doggers on public land [Re: Diverdown] #5631467 03/03/15 04:35 AM
T
TxDispatcher Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
I love these threads

Originally Posted by East...
Originally Posted by East...
I will get off in a little bit

You shouldnt have said that
Re: Hog doggers on public land [Re: TxDispatcher] #5631676 03/03/15 12:54 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: TxDispatcher
I love these threads
Me too. It really gets some people stirred up.

Re: Hog doggers on public land [Re: Diverdown] #5631681 03/03/15 12:58 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
There was an article in last weeks Bandera paper about dogs killing a persons Alpacas.

Re: Hog doggers on public land [Re: don k] #5631811 03/03/15 02:08 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Originally Posted By: don k
There was an article in last weeks Bandera paper about dogs killing a persons Alpacas.

The dogs got that one right.......

Re: Hog doggers on public land [Re: Ronnie Oneal] #5632040 03/03/15 04:35 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
I think this dead horse we are beating has been dead for awhile!!!! You fellas have a good one.

cheers The topic say's public land & some how it draws in privet land. rofl yet i gotsta bees kareful bouys ofenden peoples feelens bout me spelen. back Most of my hog hunting for grillen & chilen is done on public land. Have spent many hours & days sitting in tree stand durinh archery hunts. Hog doggers might push things my way. In stand with bow cause of health problems limited ta 20-25 yrds for deer & might streatch a shot at hog ta 30yrds, they want hogs gone, just like surrounding neighbors. Hog the other wld game. Have had hog doggers hunt here were have feeders & stands. Shoot, tis the dogs that keep the hogs away from my feeders, not me the hunter. My 2cents . Another cheap post. flag

i'm postaddic
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide