tth_40 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Toxarch
Originally Posted By: Colt W. Knight
Originally Posted By: patriot07
Originally Posted By: Earl
Patriot, we ALL have a legitimate complaint about them if you would just open your eyes.

The firearms community has many enemies on the outside - those that want to ban the weapons we want to buy or worst case already own. Those that grudgingly might respect that the 2nd ammendment provides us some sort of firearms ownership protection - so they move their focus to ammo. There's nothing in the constitution about ammo. Let you keep your guns because what good are they if you can't find, afford - or if some of them have their ways even own ammo? There are those out there in the media and in politics that I swear look to each tragedy as an opportunity to forward their agenda.

My point is that we have enough enemies confronting us from the outside to have to contend with or support somone on the inside trying to take advantage of us. CTD and quite likely you would say that in a free market society that is their right and they are free to excersise it - and they would be correct. It is also perfectly acceptable for people to hold that against them, to refuse to do business with them, and to advocate wherever possible for others to do the same - to remind them (or in some cases inform them) of the type of company they are doing business with. If you want to call that "butt hurt" then so beit...we have as much a right to be butthurt as they do to gouge prices. It's their own actions that brought it upon themselves..
Fair enough. Sorry for being rough around the edges. Kid (8 months old) was up all night last night and I was in quite a mood this morning.

Sounds like we agree that it's their right to hike prices and your right to hold it against them. I was just surprised so many people do hold it against them. I don't see it as being their fault that there was a run on firearms. But others see it differently. To each their own.

When stores send their employees to box stores to buy ammo at retail and turn around and sell it for 2-3-4x as much, they are not just taking advantage of the run on ammo, they are driving it.

That and the fact that they raised their prices as soon as the news announced the shooting happened. The school shooting wasn't even 6 hours old and their prices were already sky high. That's not prices matching demand.

...and true again.

Originally Posted By: theserxtremedays
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
Re: Cheaper than Dirt [Re: DuckCoach1985] #5595340 02/12/15 04:15 AM
kmon11 Offline
junior
junior
They did about the same after the 2008 elections.

I understand why some stores with limited inventory raise their prices more than the Box Stores that have lots of other product to make up for less ammo or guns to sell. But that is no excuse to cancel orders that were in the system already ordered and paid for by customers, only to put same product out at 10 or more times the price.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Cheaper than Dirt [Re: DuckCoach1985] #5595467 02/12/15 07:30 AM
B
blackcoal Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Sorry, but I bought a 44 special back when, purchased it from Cabelas. Went to buy ammo--nada. Same with Academy and Walmart. Called Gander Mountain plus two gun stores in Sherman Denison--nada. Stopped by CTD in McKinney and voila, there it was on the shelves. Price was the same as posted on empty shelves at Cabelas. I would have not cared if it was 100% double in price. I wanted it and needed it and none of other stores could give me any idea when they might get any. When you need it and want it then you make the decision, moan and belly ache or pull your wallet out and buy it. Most of you do not remember sitting in a gas line for 30 minutes back in the late 70's waiting to buy a limit of 5 gallons of gas. Some people have more important things to do than wait for delivery trucks to show up at Walmart. Some people can afford Sako's others Savages and others buy only custom rifles. But the main thing in the end is whether you can find and get what you need. If the fellow at the counter had told me that he just got a price hike in 44 special I still would have bought it. Same as when I was sitting in a gas line and watched the price being changed at the pump... I still wanted to drive home, not walk.

The Greatest Enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge.--Stephen Hawking
Re: Cheaper than Dirt [Re: blackcoal] #5595472 02/12/15 08:04 AM
T
tth_40 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: blackcoal
Sorry, but I bought a 44 special back when, purchased it from Cabelas. Went to buy ammo--nada. Same with Academy and Walmart. Called Gander Mountain plus two gun stores in Sherman Denison--nada. Stopped by CTD in McKinney and voila, there it was on the shelves. Price was the same as posted on empty shelves at Cabelas. I would have not cared if it was 100% double in price. I wanted it and needed it and none of other stores could give me any idea when they might get any. When you need it and want it then you make the decision, moan and belly ache or pull your wallet out and buy it. Most of you do not remember sitting in a gas line for 30 minutes back in the late 70's waiting to buy a limit of 5 gallons of gas. Some people have more important things to do than wait for delivery trucks to show up at Walmart.

Your choice on buying at that time, and "damn the price I'll get it at any cost" attitude was part of the problem. Your comparison of ammo to gas being bought in the '70s during the oil embargo is apples to oranges. Oil is a regulated commodity that everyone buys out of necessity. You buy it or walk, back then the price was more sensitive to OPEC control. It powers our society and economy, ammunition does not. You choose to buy ammo at a time when the price was elevated by a company that started the panic (BECAUSE OF A SCHOOL SHOOTING!), so you voluntarily supported the gouging by contributing to their efforts at a time when average American shooters were not only under pressure from retailers but under intense scrutiny by any and all anti-second amendment types in this country.

Bravo, sir. At least it was .44 Special and not .223/5.56, though the price went sky high on both. Kinda like the folks that made a run on AR's when the price went up. Artificially create a panic and all of a sudden everyone had to have a 700 dollar AR for the bargain price of 1200 bucks and up. That was smart. rolleyes

Glad you got to have time for those "more important things" you had to do. Those that gouged the shooting public and got away with it are grateful for your support.

Re: Cheaper than Dirt [Re: blackcoal] #5596253 02/12/15 08:15 PM
J
JCB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
Price was the same as posted on empty shelves at Cabelas. I would have not cared if it was 100% double in price.

Next time you need some ammo and cant find it just shoot me a PM. If I have it I will be glad to sell it to you........at double the price of course. up

Re: Cheaper than Dirt [Re: tth_40] #5596320 02/12/15 08:54 PM
B
blackcoal Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: tth_40
[quote=blackcoal]Sorry, but I bought a 44 special back when, purchased it from Cabelas. Went to buy ammo--nada. Same with Academy and Walmart. Called Gander Mountain plus two gun stores in Sherman Denison--nada. Stopped by CTD in McKinney and voila, there it was on the shelves. Price was the same as posted on empty shelves at Cabelas. I would have not cared if it was 100% double in price. I wanted it and needed it and none of other stores could give me any idea when they might get any. When you need it and want it then you make the decision, moan and belly ache or pull your wallet out and buy it. Most of you do not remember sitting in a gas line for 30 minutes back in the late 70's waiting to buy a limit of 5 gallons of gas. Some people have more important things to do than wait for delivery trucks to show up at Walmart.

Your choice on buying at that time, and "damn the price I'll get it at any cost" attitude was part of the problem. Your comparison of ammo to gas being bought in the '70s during the oil embargo is apples to oranges. Oil is a regulated commodity that everyone buys out of necessity. You buy it or walk, back then the price was more sensitive to OPEC control. It powers our society and economy, ammunition does not. You choose to buy ammo at a time when the price was elevated by a company that started the panic (BECAUSE OF A SCHOOL SHOOTING!), so you voluntarily supported the gouging by contributing to their efforts at a time when average American shooters were not only under pressure from retailers but under intense scrutiny by any and all anti-second amendment types in this country.

Bravo, sir. At least it was .44 Special and not .223/5.56, though the price went sky high on both. Kinda like the folks that made a run on AR's when the price went up. Artificially create a panic and all of a sudden everyone had to have a 700 dollar AR for the bargain price of 1200 bucks and up. That was smart. rolleyes

Glad you got to have time for those "more important things" you had to do. Those that gouged the shooting public and got away with it are grateful for your support. [/quot

flag flag flag trout hammer

You are crazy as a loon. I will not argue with you. I had a new caliber, needed one box, and bought it at the same price as listed at Cabelas. I also stated that I checked numerous other establishments before stopping at CTD. I was NOT gouged.

If you cared enough to check past posts you will find where I asked for empty .44 special brass to reload, but no, like many others you start running at the mouth and telling me that I am responsible for your problems.

I NEVER said I had more important things to do, I said SOME people do. Are you jealous of the fact that some of us work long hard hours, both at company jobs and family commitments. Is your problem with the English language or do you suffer comprehension difficulties?

I did not defend CTD, I only stated my experience which was different from others. But if in your shallow mind you wish to blame your faulty preparation on me, go ahead.

Last edited by blackcoal; 02/12/15 08:59 PM.

Re: Cheaper than Dirt [Re: JCB] #5596364 02/12/15 09:23 PM
B
blackcoal Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: JCB
Price was the same as posted on empty shelves at Cabelas. I would have not cared if it was 100% double in price.

Next time you need some ammo and cant find it just shoot me a PM. If I have it I will be glad to sell it to you........at double the price of course. up

Next time I buy a new caliber, then can't find any ammo within 45 miles, and you will bring the ammo to me since I was sitting where I bought it, drove past on the way home, and bring it at that time for double the price, then I am more than willing to buy one box from you. scratch

By the time I drive 40 plus miles to get the ammo, pay for gas & car depreciation, and spend 90 + minutes of my time, I have saved money plus aggravation. banana

Matter of fact, I need a box of 22 ammo. Could you bring it now, sort of in a hurry. Since I actually live 25 miles from the closest Walmart or Academy I would appreciate it. Think I will save my time and go fishing, maybe stretch some new wire fence. Just leave it at the bank, they will pay for it. woot

Don't post your phone number, you will be swamped with calls. flag

Re: Cheaper than Dirt [Re: DuckCoach1985] #5596371 02/12/15 09:31 PM
T
tth_40 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Your previous and last posts spoke for themselves, sir. All I did was quote and respond, and was not spoiling for an argument. Sorry my response upset you as much as it apparently did. You clearly felt threatened by my post and that was not my intention.

It's also clear you are expert on the mental health of those daring to quote you and have an opinion on the subject of which you wrote. I suppose "crazy as a loon" is a technical term you use, and would feel qualified to recognize and bestow on others here.

Have a better day, I didn't mean to ruin for you.

Re: Cheaper than Dirt [Re: DuckCoach1985] #5596373 02/12/15 09:33 PM
J
JCB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
Pretty sure CTD didn't deliver the ammo to you so why would you expect me to?

All I got from your posts is that you don't mind getting bent over. In that case CTD is the store for you.

Re: Cheaper than Dirt [Re: DuckCoach1985] #5596413 02/12/15 09:57 PM
T
tth_40 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Easy there, JCB.

Next thing you know he'll be insulting your employment, ability with the English language and comprehension, even your mental state. scratch

He's an expert. rolleyes

Hopefully, he'll respond so he can have the last word on this subject. Something tells me it'll make him feel better.

Re: Cheaper than Dirt [Re: DuckCoach1985] #5596436 02/12/15 10:10 PM
E
Earl Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
E
I will say that their activities I think led to another (better) LGS opening...if you haven't been to Gun Gear To Go in Plano give them a look. You'll find several employees there that used to work at CTD but couldn't stomach the practices there including the manager (I'm assuming he's still there I've not been in for a while now). It's a typical LGS - prices weren't always the best on ammo but they were not CTD prices and their gun prices (especially often on consignment or used guns) can be real good. The staff I've always found to be friendly and knowledgeable. Earl

Last edited by Earl; 02/12/15 10:11 PM.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Cheaper than Dirt [Re: DuckCoach1985] #5598526 02/14/15 02:15 AM
F
firestick Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
F
CTD certainly had the right to treat their customers as they wish and charge as much as they want. I just chose not to be one of their customers anymore nor refer them to anyone.

Re: Cheaper than Dirt [Re: DuckCoach1985] #5599094 02/14/15 02:38 PM
B
booradley Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
I had already quit buying from CTD long before Sandy Hook. They have always been sleaze bags.

Don’t roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
Re: Cheaper than Dirt [Re: DuckCoach1985] #5599747 02/14/15 11:53 PM
R
Ranch Dawg Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Just say NO to CTD !!

THE ROAD GOES ON FOREVER AND THE PARTY NEVER ENDS.

F##K YOU JOE BIDEN !!!!!
Re: Cheaper than Dirt [Re: blackcoal] #5600122 02/15/15 12:01 PM
C
cyphertext Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C

Matter of fact, I need a box of 22 ammo. Could you bring it now, sort of in a hurry. Since I actually live 25 miles from the closest Walmart or Academy I would appreciate it. Think I will save my time and go fishing, maybe stretch some new wire fence. Just leave it at the bank, they will pay for it. woot

Don't post your phone number, you will be swamped with calls. flag

Blackcoal, if you have a place where you would allow me and my son to shoot fmj, and perhaps a few dove or a hog or two... I'll gladly bring you a brick or two of .22lr! cheers

Re: Cheaper than Dirt [Re: Earl] #5600124 02/15/15 12:14 PM
C
cyphertext Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
I don't have a beef with CTD... I didn't have an order in with them at the time. As far as raising prices immediately, I don't blame them. You don't sell your current inventory based on what you paid for it, you sell it based on the cost to replace it and refill your shelves. Sandy Hook made everyone believe that there would be a new push to ban certain firearms and accessories and CTD reacted to those potential market influences. They didn't have a crystal ball, so they may have over done it, but they did have stock available during the panic. I haven't purchased from CTD since Sandy Hook, but not because I disagreed with their practices... I disagreed with their pricing. There is no such thing as gouging for a non-essential item. If you don't like the price, don't buy.

Re: Cheaper than Dirt [Re: cyphertext] #5600593 02/15/15 08:17 PM
H
HillbillyDeluxe Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted By: cyphertext
I don't have a beef with CTD... I didn't have an order in with them at the time. As far as raising prices immediately, I don't blame them. You don't sell your current inventory based on what you paid for it, you sell it based on the cost to replace it and refill your shelves. Sandy Hook made everyone believe that there would be a new push to ban certain firearms and accessories and CTD reacted to those potential market influences. They didn't have a crystal ball, so they may have over done it, but they did have stock available during the panic. I haven't purchased from CTD since Sandy Hook, but not because I disagreed with their practices... I disagreed with their pricing. There is no such thing as gouging for a non-essential item. If you don't like the price, don't buy.

I agree with everything you said. Except some on here have referred to the fact that they had already placed orders with CTD, and those orders were cancelled and the merchandise was then reoffered at a much higher price. I have no problem with supply/demand dictating price. After all, what something is worth is only determined by what someone is willing to pay for it. But I DO have a problem if a deal was already done and CTD basically reneged on it.

I guess I never noticed all this panic since I never was really in the market for much during that time. I got a good deal on some 9mm ammo from them a few weeks ago, but might rethink doing business with them in the future based on some of the thoughts put forth in this thread. I will have my eye on them the next time something happens to shake up the market, that's for sure.

Re: Cheaper than Dirt [Re: DuckCoach1985] #5600595 02/15/15 08:19 PM
T
tth_40 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Watch what happens with M855 on their site.

Re: Cheaper than Dirt [Re: DuckCoach1985] #5600608 02/15/15 08:33 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
hammerI don't shop with them anymore either. I am a fan of Midway however. Not that .22 ammo is in big supply with them either but at least they have decreased shipping prices while still getting you items quickly.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Cheaper than Dirt [Re: tth_40] #5600640 02/15/15 08:50 PM
kmon11 Offline
junior
junior

It was $353 for 1000 rounds, Ammoseek now shows error on the lookup. Check it later and see what it goes to

http://ammoseek.com/ammo/5.56x45mm-nato?ikw=m855

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Cheaper than Dirt [Re: DuckCoach1985] #5600651 02/15/15 08:54 PM
J
JCB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
I know CTD was $399 for 1K rounds of Lake City M855 last night and early this morning on their website. I looked around noon or so just to see if they had jacked the price up yet and it was completely removed from the website.

I figure they are just waiting for the panic to build as word spreads and then they will put that ammo back up for sale most likely well north of $1k.

Don't really blame them if they do, I just wonder if they honor the orders they had prior to removing it. Bet they don't.

Re: Cheaper than Dirt [Re: DuckCoach1985] #5600666 02/15/15 09:06 PM
T
tth_40 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I hope no one gets burned this time around, but I'll bet it's going to be the same old song and dance.

"We can't sell it if we don't have a valid item number!"

Which is true. Because they changed the item # AFTER the order was made and BEFORE they shipped it, effectively cancelling the order. They'll be happy to substitute the new item # product at the new price and not for the price you ordered it for.

How folks can defend those using this kind of business practice is beyond me.

Maybe it's just my issues with English and comprehension. loser8

Re: Cheaper than Dirt [Re: tth_40] #5600676 02/15/15 09:10 PM
J
JCB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
I hope no one gets burned this time around, but I'll bet it's going to be the same old song and dance.

"We can't sell it if we don't have a valid item number!"

Which is true. Because they changed the item # AFTER the order was made and BEFORE they shipped it, effectively cancelling the order. They'll be happy to substitute the new item # product at the new price and not for the price you ordered it for.

How folks can defend those using this kind of business practice is beyond me.

Maybe it's just my issues with English and comprehension. loser8

Sounds like you talked to the same customer service rep that I talked to when my order got canceled during the last crisis. roflmao

Re: Cheaper than Dirt [Re: DuckCoach1985] #5600681 02/15/15 09:15 PM
T
tth_40 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Probably did, this was their "canned response" both on the phone and in the store. Haven't been back there since. cheers

It's their standard practice, they've been doing it for years.

Re: Cheaper than Dirt [Re: tth_40] #5600780 02/15/15 10:21 PM
G
gtrich94 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G

Exactly!! Spin up some rumors of the big bad Obama coming to outlaw 223, write a blog about it, get people to repost it on Facebook and then jack up your prices to take advantage of the FUD you just created.
I guess things have calmed down too much for them and they needed to create a new panic.

Thanks,
Rich
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide