Print Thread
Anyone pay to have hogs removed? #5588678 02/08/15 10:24 AM
B
Bud1 Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
B
I know you can't really "remove" hogs, but do any of you get "jobs" to hunt hogs? If so, how do you charge? By the hog?! just wondering???

Born and Raised Texan / Veteran USN 86-92 / Former Duddle Bugger
Gain respect, by showing some
Re: Anyone pay to have hogs removed? [Re: Bud1] #5588682 02/08/15 11:01 AM
R
Rockfish Dave Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
Nope. Many complain, but too many people out there that will hunt or trap for free. Trappers in my area take them to the buyer so they sort of get paid just not by the land owner.

Me I don't particularly care for them, but I don't put up hog fences around all of my feeders because some of my guests want to "shoot a hog". I could significantly reduce the number of hogs on my place if I did though, since I don't have crops. Take away their easy food and they will move on to greener pastures for the most part.

Re: Anyone pay to have hogs removed? [Re: Bud1] #5590138 02/09/15 06:54 AM
dogcatcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Never seen where a landowner would pay, most of the time the hunter pays.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Anyone pay to have hogs removed? [Re: Bud1] #5590309 02/09/15 02:24 PM
skinnerback Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Yes, there are some that pay. My good friend that I help out is a full time contract hunter and has/does get paid on a number of properties. There are several farmers/ranchers and land/home developers in my area that have had enough of the pigs but can't/won't just hire anybody to come out for "removal". This is especially true in some of the new home developments. Contractor sods the yards, pigs come in and root it up. Contractor sods again, pigs come in and root it up. There are homes, kids, pets near by so just can't have anybody out there shooting or trapping. Having a reputation of being both effective and safe goes a long way and it's nice to be recommended by TP&W. Even then, it's hard to land paid contracts for pig removal. If you're gonna start calling or knocking on doors prepare for 9-9 1/2 out of 10 potential clients to say no when it comes to paid contracts....and to your question about how one gets paid that just depends on the agreement. My buddy doesn't get paid by the pig (send land owners pics of dead pigs though - pics taken with a property marker to prove they are legit), contracts are normally set up monthly or annually and is required to be on the property X number of times per week. Gotta keep constant pressure on them.

Re: Anyone pay to have hogs removed? [Re: skinnerback] #5590545 02/09/15 04:43 PM
Ramsey Offline
Pepe' Le Pew
Pepe' Le Pew
Originally Posted By: skinnerback
Yes, there are some that pay. My good friend that I help out is a full time contract hunter and has/does get paid on a number of properties. There are several farmers/ranchers and land/home developers in my area that have had enough of the pigs but can't/won't just hire anybody to come out for "removal". This is especially true in some of the new home developments. Contractor sods the yards, pigs come in and root it up. Contractor sods again, pigs come in and root it up. There are homes, kids, pets near by so just can't have anybody out there shooting or trapping. Having a reputation of being both effective and safe goes a long way and it's nice to be recommended by TP&W. Even then, it's hard to land paid contracts for pig removal. If you're gonna start calling or knocking on doors prepare for 9-9 1/2 out of 10 potential clients to say no when it comes to paid contracts....and to your question about how one gets paid that just depends on the agreement. My buddy doesn't get paid by the pig (send land owners pics of dead pigs though - pics taken with a property marker to prove they are legit), contracts are normally set up monthly or annually and is required to be on the property X number of times per week. Gotta keep constant pressure on them.

I have a friend that gets paid, but only after years of work for the farmers and trust is built up. Paid by definition is funds to help with gas for the many trips out there. In a situation like this you are not only hunting fairly often, but you are on call. When they plant - your nights are spent out in the field, and you will stay there as many nights as possible until the row crops are too high to hunt.

Big Beckett!!
Re: Anyone pay to have hogs removed? [Re: Bud1] #5590569 02/09/15 04:55 PM
T
Texaslawman Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
I have a few that pay me. Basically they started paying me so I would hunt their property vs others close by. Took several years to get to this point and a reputation with the farmers as making a noticeable difference in the population. It's not much won't even cover the cost of gas but anything helps.

Pro staff: LWRCI, VORTEX OPTICS, SILENCER SHOP, HORNADY AMMUNITION, Barnes Bullets, Bass Pro Shops, . Huey Outdoors. CMMG INC.
YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/LoneStarBoars?sub_confirmation=1
Re: Anyone pay to have hogs removed? [Re: Ramsey] #5590576 02/09/15 04:59 PM
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted By: Ramsey
Originally Posted By: skinnerback

I have a friend that gets paid, but only after years of work for the farmers and trust is built up. Paid by definition is funds to help with gas for the many trips out there. In a situation like this you are not only hunting fairly often, but you are on call. When they plant - your nights are spent out in the field, and you will stay there as many nights as possible until the row crops are too high to hunt.

That's right, and when the crops are up and too high for night vision/rifles you're still out there with dogs but more difficult. up

Re: Anyone pay to have hogs removed? [Re: Bud1] #5590586 02/09/15 05:03 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
I just ask for hog hunting rights on the land... enough pay for me

Re: Anyone pay to have hogs removed? [Re: Texaslawman] #5590592 02/09/15 05:06 PM
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted By: Texaslawman
I have a few that pay me. Basically they started paying me so I would hunt their property vs others close by. Took several years to get to this point and a reputation with the farmers as making a noticeable difference in the population. It's not much won't even cover the cost of gas but anything helps.

I don't know what my buddy gets paid, I've never asked him but I'm thinking it's not much. I help him/hunt with him just because I love killing pigs and I enjoy hunting with him.

Re: Anyone pay to have hogs removed? [Re: Bud1] #5591196 02/09/15 10:38 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
I'd settle for free. I hear all these people complain about how hogs are tearing their land up, but then it's 'oh, that'll be $100/$150/etc. per day to hunt'. You either want/need my help or you don't.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Anyone pay to have hogs removed? [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #5591373 02/10/15 12:43 AM
Ramsey Offline
Pepe' Le Pew
Pepe' Le Pew
Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks
I'd settle for free. I hear all these people complain about how hogs are tearing their land up, but then it's 'oh, that'll be $100/$150/etc. per day to hunt'. You either want/need my help or you don't.
talk to.farmers in small towns...

Big Beckett!!
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide