Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics537,695
Posts9,727,871
Members87,033
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Out on a Limb- Looking for Quail Guide and Dog(s) in the Panhandle #5589268 02/08/15 09:17 PM
kry226 Offline OP
The General
OP Offline
The General
Please PM if interested:

Probably a long shot, but I am looking for an honest, experienced handler and a dog or two for a walking hunt on a couple hundred acres next Saturday morning, Feb 14, in Hall County. The land is flat, mostly CRP but there are a good bit of grass spurs too. I've watched great numbers of birds during the deer season this year, but I've had good numbers over the last few years as well, seeing birds every time I've gone into the field.

Cannot offer much, but I am the property owner and I've got plenty of water for the dogs, and the guide is welcome to take his limit of quail if he chooses. I will be the only other hunter with my wife and two youngsters spectating and well out of the way. There are no real accommodations on the place except a couple of barns.

Nothing fancy, just looking for a gentleman who wants to run his dog or dogs on some new ground for a few hours. I don't really care about limiting out, but I just want to use this opportunity to have some quality family time before deploying to Afghanistan and introduce the family to quail hunting behind a dog. They've never seen a dog on point. That said, the guide must be good enough to make the hunt worth all of our time. I don't mind a guide learning a new dog next to an experienced one, but this cannot be the guide's first rodeo.

There's only a few things I'm adamant about:
1. The guide conducts himself like a gentleman. (No foul language or lewd conduct).
2. No alcohol.
3. See #1 and #2.

Again, if you're "in the neighborhood" and interested, shoot me a PM. I appreciate anyone's interest and feel free to ask any questions you may have.

[Linked Image]
Re: Out on a Limb- Looking for Quail Guide and Dog(s) in the Panhandle [Re: kry226] #5589280 02/08/15 09:27 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I'd jump on it if I didn't already have plans, and lived within 3 hours.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Out on a Limb- Looking for Quail Guide and Dog(s) in the Panhandle [Re: bill oxner] #5589282 02/08/15 09:29 PM
kry226 Offline OP
The General
OP Offline
The General
Originally Posted By: bill oxner
I'd jump on it if I didn't already have plans, and lived within 3 hours.

Thanks. I meant to post this a week ago but was "overcome by events." I know it's a long shot with such short notice, but you never know.

[Linked Image]
Re: Out on a Limb- Looking for Quail Guide and Dog(s) in the Panhandle [Re: kry226] #5589289 02/08/15 09:36 PM
A
aerangis Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
A
PM inbound...

Re: Out on a Limb- Looking for Quail Guide and Dog(s) in the Panhandle [Re: kry226] #5591929 02/10/15 10:44 AM
kry226 Offline OP
The General
OP Offline
The General
Bump for the short-notice hunt, no takers yet.

Based on conversations taken to the off topic forum, my "no alcohol" comment may have put off some folks who might be otherwise willing to hunt. Well, I assure you my point isn't that people are heathen if they drink, as I enjoy knocking a cold one back on occasion myself. While I trust THF more than just about any other place, we all know that you just don't know who might answer the call. Admittedly, I do not think hunting and alcohol mix well, but I just wanted someone who could handle things appropriately, especially in front of the Mrs. and kids, and who knew the expectation was such.

We absolutely do our best to serve the Lord, but there are no "holier than thou" here. Thanks again for anyone's interest.

[Linked Image]
Re: Out on a Limb- Looking for Quail Guide and Dog(s) in the Panhandle [Re: kry226] #5592271 02/10/15 04:02 PM
C
Catch Dog Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
I sent you a PM

Re: Out on a Limb- Looking for Quail Guide and Dog(s) in the Panhandle [Re: kry226] #5593889 02/11/15 03:46 PM
kry226 Offline OP
The General
OP Offline
The General
Great to talk with you, Catch Dog. Hopefully we'll see you soon. up

[Linked Image]
Re: Out on a Limb- Looking for Quail Guide and Dog(s) in the Panhandle [Re: kry226] #5594177 02/11/15 06:19 PM
C
CinchMan Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: kry226

Based on conversations taken to the off topic forum, my "no alcohol" comment may have put off some folks who might be otherwise willing to hunt. Well, I assure you my point isn't that people are heathen if they drink, as I enjoy knocking a cold one back on occasion myself. While I trust THF more than just about any other place, we all know that you just don't know who might answer the call. Admittedly, I do not think hunting and alcohol mix well, but I just wanted someone who could handle things appropriately, especially in front of the Mrs. and kids, and who knew the expectation was such.

We absolutely do our best to serve the Lord, but there are no "holier than thou" here. Thanks again for anyone's interest.

Given that your wife and kids will be spectating and its a family style hunt on private property, I don't think this is unreasonable at all. Nothing wrong with it, if I were closer and free that weekend I'd be happy to take you up on it. It's a great offer.

Say When.....
Re: Out on a Limb- Looking for Quail Guide and Dog(s) in the Panhandle [Re: CinchMan] #5594325 02/11/15 07:17 PM
kry226 Offline OP
The General
OP Offline
The General
Originally Posted By: CinchMan
Originally Posted By: kry226

Given that your wife and kids will be spectating and its a family style hunt on private property, I don't think this is unreasonable at all. Nothing wrong with it, if I were closer and free that weekend I'd be happy to take you up on it. It's a great offer.

Thank you, sir. Much appreciated. up

[Linked Image]
Re: Out on a Limb- Looking for Quail Guide and Dog(s) in the Panhandle [Re: kry226] #5597275 02/13/15 10:18 AM
D
danceswithquail Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
I will be in Wheeler county that last weekend of the season where doing a two hour hunt is feasible, but am in College Station this weekend. If you are still interested next year, we could coordinate something when I am going to be in the area (driving that far from metromess for a couple of hours of hunting is going to be tough economics for most) - enjoy turning kids onto quail hunting.

Last edited by danceswithquail; 02/13/15 10:18 AM.
Re: Out on a Limb- Looking for Quail Guide and Dog(s) in the Panhandle [Re: danceswithquail] #5604481 02/17/15 07:38 PM
kry226 Offline OP
The General
OP Offline
The General
Originally Posted By: danceswithquail
I will be in Wheeler county that last weekend of the season where doing a two hour hunt is feasible, but am in College Station this weekend. If you are still interested next year, we could coordinate something when I am going to be in the area (driving that far from metromess for a couple of hours of hunting is going to be tough economics for most) - enjoy turning kids onto quail hunting.

Thanks a lot for the offer, but we just got back last night and are done for the year.

We had a great time but the heat came on a little stronger than expected in the late morning and the quail held tight to heavy cover. Had a blast anyway.

Last edited by kry226; 02/17/15 07:41 PM.

[Linked Image]
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide