Forums46
Topics537,785
Posts9,729,132
Members87,042
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Walking around, light weight rifle [Re: t george] #5591888 02/10/15 05:59 AM
H
Hirogen Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
H
Kimber Mountain Ascent 84M

Well under 6lbs scoped.

Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
Re: Walking around, light weight rifle [Re: Hirogen] #5591938 02/10/15 11:33 AM
H
Huntmaster Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
H
I think sometimes, the gizmos on a AR get in the way in a real walking/hunting situation. I have walked with my AR and sometimes brush gets caught on the guard, mag, sharp edges, or whatever. And that 20 round mag. Tends to get in the way, (in different blinds) , usually hitting the bottom of the window or rest. But, I've killed a lot of pigs with it. I'd go with any light bolt.

Re: Walking around, light weight rifle [Re: BigPig] #5591986 02/10/15 12:42 PM
D
dawaba Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: BigPig
Originally Posted By: dawaba
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
There are a bunch (many mentioned). Any compact bolt action that fits you well. If ranges are short a Winchester or Marlin lever action is the best walking around gun in existence to me. I don't see how folks can consider a bulky/unwieldy AR a good "walking around rifle". But I am a fogey.

Yeah, "light AR" is an oxymoron.

I have several rigs that could qualify as walkabout rifles:

Remington M7 in .223.
Browning XBolt Micro Hunter in .22-250.
Remington Mohawk 600 in .243.
Remington 600 in 6mm Rem.
ULA in .284 Win.
Winchester M92 in .25-20 that my great-grandfather bought around 1907.

All of these weigh less than 8 lbs scoped, slinged, and loaded. Only the ULA has a 22" barrel; the others are 20" or less.

Ah yes you must be right, or you don't know how to click a link a read.
Rock River Mountain rifle is 6.1lbs and 32inches closed/36inches extended
The Tikka Compact is 39inches long a 6.6lbs, the Tikka T3 Lite is 45 inches but weighs in at 6.1lbs also.

I admit that a few AR makers are starting to look at ways to lighten up their product. I recently bought a DPMS Light Hunter .243L. It weighs 7.9 lbs according to the website info. With a 3x9 scope and a small 10-round magazine, mine weighs just under 10 pounds. The big magazines will add more weight.

My AR in 7.62x39 weighs about the same. My Bushmaster in .223 weighs at least a pound more. Each of my ARs weighs at least 2 pounds more than the equivalent bolt gun in the same caliber.

So the AR boys are making progress in turning out a light, handy outfit, but they've still got a LONG way to go.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple.....and wrong." H. L. Mencken
Re: Walking around, light weight rifle [Re: t george] #5592011 02/10/15 01:12 PM
sig226fan (Rguns.com) Offline
duck & cover
duck & cover
Remington 750 Carbine in 308, small, easy to carry, accurate, and plenty of umph.

Re: Walking around, light weight rifle [Re: t george] #5592039 02/10/15 01:38 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Last spring I bought a Thompson Center Venture WeatherShield 308 in the 22" rifle version that weighed 6 3/4lbs during a Rebate Sale to use as a Hog & Swamp Beater....and traded it off before I ever got to shoot it. There are allllmost NO Sacred Cows in guns at my house.

The WeatherShield is a SS looking coating that is s'posed to be bunches better than SS in preventing corrosion & a black Nitride coating on the bolt that is designed to "slick up" the bolt, and is being discussed here on THF or elsewhere on something I just read in the last couple days.

TC Ventures are made in the USA by Smith & Wesson...have a Lifetime Warranty to the original owner...are guaranteed to 1" MOA... have floated barrels and are aluminum pillar bedded....5R rifleing like Remmy , PacNor and some others....have an externally adjustable trigger....grooved non slippery touch pads in a Houge Stock unlike the Remmy SPS's tupperware stock (& Boyd's makes aftermarket stocks for them) that is shaped to use off bags or a Bipod with a semi flat forearm unlike the Ruger American's egg shaped round forearm that is to accomodate the non floated barrel's V shaped aluminum bedding Inserts .... and generally sell at the same or less than a Ruger American, especially when there is a Rebate on them.

TC Ventures also come in a Carbine styled 20" barreled adjustable stock version at slightly less $'s than the Rifle length guns, in 223, 22-250 & 3 of the 5 308 Family of calibers. The addition of the recent 223 chambering is confusing the issue for me a little & access to cheap Ch*% factory $5 a box ammo, as I had bought a 308 last time and planned on reloading used MilSurp brass to not be too concerned with recovering my brass & with less than max MV loads for shots at 25/50 out to 200 yards at most....

Based on the guys I've talked to around the 'Net, I am waiting to see if there is going to be another Rebate this year, but will for certain buy another Venture of some sort this year & most likely in a WeatherShield coating again....to use for the same stated purpose of a Hog & Swamp Critter Getter that can be taken to the carwash to get the mud off of it & double as a Jonboat Paddle if necessary.
Ron

Last edited by WileyCoyote; 02/10/15 02:07 PM. Reason: spelling duoh

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: Walking around, light weight rifle [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5592045 02/10/15 01:48 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
Originally Posted By: BigPig
There are a bunch (many mentioned). Any compact bolt action that fits you well. If ranges are short a Winchester or Marlin lever action is the best walking around gun in existence to me. I don't see how folks can consider a bulky/unwieldy AR a good "walking around rifle". But I am a fogey.

Not sure what's "bulky and unwieldy" about a 16inch AR that weighs 6.1lbs. Guess I'm missing something. Even my 22's weigh in at that or just over. Plus, with the right sling an AR can be carried numerous ways making it more suitable for walking around. Guess our troops should carry lever guns

But...but...that doesn't match up with old thinking. No way can that new fangled "fancy", complicated stuff work. It's not the way I've always done it so it HAS to be wrong!

If you don't think an AR platform is bulky and unwieldy compared to a compact bolt action or good lever action then you are just in denial. Tacticool and ultra long range is not the answer for everything.

Lol a question about any hunting application one might imagine could be posted on here and half the answers would recommend an AR.

Again you state you opinion as fact. And those that don't agree are wrong. I never recommended an AR for a light weight rifle, but I will not tell someone that prefers them thaylt they are wrong, Ford, Chevy, Dodge. My AR has been collecting dust for years, but of late I see a mission for it. I also know I need to educate myself on some of the details of the platform. Therefore I will pay attention to these men that have more experience than me with the platform instead of arguing with them.

If half the hunters are recommending them then maybe they are good rifles afterall.

No, long range is not the answer for everything. But when questions arise (daily) some of us know what we're talking about and have solid answers to give, helping those that want to know. That is, by the way what this forum is for.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Walking around, light weight rifle [Re: t george] #5592183 02/10/15 03:02 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
FiremanJG I'm not mad at anyone. And I don't state my opinions as fact. I do provide facts in support of my opinions.

I know you know your stuff in the shooting area. I know you are an excellent marksman. You remind us often. But you don't know everything. I have read your responses to a bunch of hunting questions on this forum for quite a while. Each and every one is through the narrow lens of a long-range shooter who spends most of his time on the bench. Ranges of 500-1000 yards+ are routinely incorporated into your responses to basic hunting situations. This has no practical appication in the vast majority of situations.

Same with ARs. They were not designed for hunting. Their basic design has not changed. They are not good rifles for the majority of hunting applications. There are many reasons for this based on their design.

And, yes, I can be stubborn in support of my opinions. This stubbornness is borne out of trying to give sound responses to questions asked based on 40+ years of hunting experience.

The AR and benchrest crowd can be stubborn to. This is borne of their fondness for their specialties/specialized equipment. I get it. But IMO this leads to a stream of responses trying to constantly shoehorn their specialties as an answer to every hunting application. But square pegs do not fit in round holes.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Walking around, light weight rifle [Re: t george] #5592246 02/10/15 03:42 PM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
I am a fan of bolt guns first and foremost, mainly because of their accuracy. However, I think for a "walking around gun" something with a higher round capacity is nice to have. Who's to say you may not encounter numerous targets and of varying species. Maybe during your walk you encounter a coyote, or a rabbit, or a sounder of pigs, maybe even that late in the year monster buck. Heck, you maybe even encounter all of these during the same morning. No, you don't have to go all gadget queer and add everything possible to your AR. Keep it simple, my next AR is going to be geared towards speed, a smooth full length rail covering a slim profile 16 inch barrel tipped with a 1-6 scope and a sling. Will I use a 30 round may? Maybe, I e learned to use them as a bipod and as a barrier stop. I think if you opened up your mind to the possibilities of different rifles and learned the intricities of each, then you will change your opinion on what gun to carry and when. If I'm stand hunting I'm going to have my bolt gun, although my dad primarily hunts with an AR no matter what.

Re: Walking around, light weight rifle [Re: t george] #5592247 02/10/15 03:44 PM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted By: t george
What is your go to walking rifle.... I am looking for ideas on something really easy to carry, really easy to shoot and in a common caliber.

right now I am carrying a jm marlin 30-30 but im looking for a gun chambered in something like 222, or 223 or something similar.

ranges are at most 150-200 yards and game from opossums, coons, coyotes, foxes, pigs ect ect

dont really care what action just want light, dependable and easy to handle

For what the OP is looking for, I can't think of a better platform.

Re: Walking around, light weight rifle [Re: t george] #5592280 02/10/15 04:05 PM
T
t george Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
T
Lots of good info and opinions here, I had an ar15 for while and never really warmed up to it for some reason. Nothing bad to say about it, but just like my bolt and lever actions more I guess. Depending on the price point of the new howa mini bolts I may have to try one out. Short, light, 10rd capacity all draw my attention. May even have the barrel cut and recrowned at 18in....

learn something new everyday and you will have never wasted a day.

Re: Walking around, light weight rifle [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5592287 02/10/15 04:10 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
FiremanJG I'm not mad at anyone. And I don't state my opinions as fact. I do provide facts in support of my opinions.

I know you know your stuff in the shooting area. I know you are an excellent marksman. You remind us often. But you don't know everything. I have read your responses to a bunch of hunting questions on this forum for quite a while. Each and every one is through the narrow lens of a long-range shooter who spends most of his time on the bench. Ranges of 500-1000 yards+ are routinely incorporated into your responses to basic hunting situations. This has no practical appication in the vast majority of situations.

Same with ARs. They were not designed for hunting. Their basic design has not changed. They are not good rifles for the majority of hunting applications. There are many reasons for this based on their design.

And, yes, I can be stubborn in support of my opinions. This stubbornness is borne out of trying to give sound responses to questions asked based on 40+ years of hunting experience.

The AR and benchrest crowd can be stubborn to. This is borne of their fondness for their specialties/specialized equipment. I get it. But IMO this leads to a stream of responses trying to constantly shoehorn their specialties as an answer to every hunting application. But square pegs do not fit in round holes.

Clearly you are fabricating you own version of reality. I shoot from a bench for three days a year shooting prairie dogs. After that I NEVER shoot from a bench. My experience and my business is based on a guy that started predator hunting, wanted to be able to hit a coyote farther, educated myself, shot matches to learn more, rotate all that learning back into hunting. I do not need a bench to grt things done. And I was happy to kill a mule deer buck at 50 yards in December, even though I was prepared for much farther. And I had a good time testing my concealment, as a hunter, in January getting whitetail does within 20 yards of me without them bustig me, even though I haf no intention of harvesting them. And that was the day after I head shot two does in ten minutes the day before.

You seem to think I am only a shooter and not a hunter. Again, you have blinders on and only see what you want to see. I am a hunter that shoots more than you, and am more prepared, and apparently that rubs you wrong. Many times a month you seem to want to call me out for reasons I can't figure out.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Walking around, light weight rifle [Re: Hirogen] #5592500 02/10/15 06:07 PM
M
MarkE Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: Hirogen
Kimber Mountain Ascent 84M

Well under 6lbs scoped.

Can't argue with that setup.....nice.

Re: Walking around, light weight rifle [Re: t george] #5592634 02/10/15 07:17 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
JG your background in shooting and hunting is pretty known to all-because you are not shy about informing us.

Your focus on shooting and the equipment you favor is also apparent based on your responses-which overwhelmingly incorporate assumptions from a shooting at range point of view. (stated ranges most often in excess of 500 yards on way past 1000, focus on long-range rifles/optics, BC of bullets being a primary concern, toting a heavy long range rig on an elk hunt, watching a meadow 750 yards away for a possible shot opportunity, etc.,etc., etc.)

So I don't have to assume much.

Back to the topic: Forget me. Observe professionals and hunters all over the globe in situations where "walking around" is part and parcel of the hunt (the west, Alaska, Africa, etc.) Those folks either 1)depend on their rifles for a living or 2)depend on them to give them the best opportunity possible to put the game they seek on the ground. They can and will use the best equipment possible to accomplish their tasks.

They don't use ARs.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Walking around, light weight rifle [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5592849 02/10/15 09:36 PM
H
Huntmaster Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
H
NP, are you saying people can't knock deer flat at 500 yards-oh that was another post.

Re: Walking around, light weight rifle [Re: t george] #5592895 02/10/15 09:59 PM
R
Railhead Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
mine is a Remington 700 .30-06 w/ 4.5 x 14 Burris, never thought about how much it weighs. IMHO the lighter the gun, the more felt recoil. have an H & R handy rifle "youth model" in .243. that thing will jump out of your hands.

when I was a kid, dads marlin .30-30 was the shizzel!! probably still a good choice for your application, good round capacity, quick handling and cycles faster than a bolt gun.

Have no experience with an AR, don't own one, never shot one.

Re: Walking around, light weight rifle [Re: kmon11] #5592921 02/10/15 10:17 PM
G
gtrich94 Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: kmon1

The one that currently sees more duty than any rifle I have is a Marlin 1894 limited SSLS with the 16 inch barrel in 357 Mag. Fun little rifle that gets a lot of use.

I stumbled across 3 does this past season driving to and from my blind. After the third time, I seriously started thinking about something like this. I like the idea of the 357 with a low powered, fixed or even a red dot scope for the situations where I run into a deer or hog as I'm walking around. The downside is that the 1894 in 357 is next to impossible to find. I know I could pick up one in a 44 pretty easily; but I like the low recoil aspect of the 357/38 setup. I think my kids would also love shooting it at the range. It's bigger than a 22, but with 38's, the recoil should be negligible for them.

Thanks,
Rich
Re: Walking around, light weight rifle [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5592932 02/10/15 10:22 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Here again you have not paid attention. It is a rare occasion to kill anything at long range. Train at long range to improve skills so medium and short range are not as difficult.

In case you havn't noticed guys post questions everyday. And again some of us can answer them better than others. If it bothers you that you don't have the knowledge needed and some of us do, well that's your own internal deamon.

How many PMs do you get a week with rifle, optic, ammo, loading, parts, shooting questions? My bet is not many to zero. And my bet the reason why I get them daily is because guys are avoiding the BS banter from guys like you that don't know what the F they are talking about yet want to throw in and pass judgement on why the questions was even asked as well as chastize some of the answers. That's also the reason I am always happy to help anyone that comes to me and its not for any personal gain of my own.

So back to the original reason you got all wound up. If a guy provides a proven weight of an AR that could be defined as light weight, let him be. If he wants to use it this is America and he can do as he pleases. And there are some hunting situations that thw AR is exactly the most appropriate tool for the job. I almost never shoot mine, but there is a situation brewing half a mile north of my land with a sounder of hogs where the AR is goung to be perfect to hunt them down in the woods they are living in.

There are also hunters all over the globe that cant own an AR, and there are hunters all over this country that use it as their primary rifle. I am not one of them, but they have their reasons and I respect that.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Walking around, light weight rifle [Re: t george] #5593045 02/10/15 11:55 PM
R
Revoman Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
I had mine built by the late Harold Broughton. I don't know what it weighs but it is one handy walk around calling gun. Remington 700 action, Timney trigger, McMillan stock and 22" Broughton barrel .223 and topped with Burris 3.5-10x50.

Call'm an Kill'm
Re: Walking around, light weight rifle [Re: gtrich94] #5593050 02/11/15 12:00 AM
kmon11 Offline
junior
junior
Originally Posted By: gtrich94
Originally Posted By: kmon1

The one that currently sees more duty than any rifle I have is a Marlin 1894 limited SSLS with the 16 inch barrel in 357 Mag. Fun little rifle that gets a lot of use.

I stumbled across 3 does this past season driving to and from my blind. After the third time, I seriously started thinking about something like this. I like the idea of the 357 with a low powered, fixed or even a red dot scope for the situations where I run into a deer or hog as I'm walking around. The downside is that the 1894 in 357 is next to impossible to find. I know I could pick up one in a 44 pretty easily; but I like the low recoil aspect of the 357/38 setup. I think my kids would also love shooting it at the range. It's bigger than a 22, but with 38's, the recoil should be negligible for them.

Recoil is about like a 223 with 357 loads and very little with the 38s. They are kinda hard to find and have gotten expensive but they do show up here and other places for sale from time. I have owned 3 over the years and finally found one I really like. Limited production run of 250 of this one. It has a 2X7 Leupold scope on it. Inside 125 yards I am as comfortable with it as any gun I have ever hunted deer and hogs with and it sure is handy

Pic of the pig is a bit bloody but a 180gr partition quartering away shot, the exit through the off side shoulder was even worse.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Walking around, light weight rifle [Re: t george] #5593096 02/11/15 12:35 AM
T
TFF Caribou Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
T
One of the days you boys are gunna have to meet at a boat ramp at dawn and settle things.

The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference. -George Washington
Re: Walking around, light weight rifle [Re: t george] #5594912 02/12/15 01:31 AM
H
huntandfish Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
My walking rifle, kimber montana .243 cut to 18.5". Zeiss conquest 4.5-14x50 in talley mounts, sling, yhm titanium suppressor and four rounds weighing in at a nice 7.8 lbs! She shoots federal fusion into nice little groups.

Re: Walking around, light weight rifle [Re: t george] #5594945 02/12/15 01:47 AM
C
Colt W. Knight Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
I prefer an iron sighted levergun for a walking around gun. If I think I will be shooting out of my effective range for the levergun, I pack my short barrel sporterized mauser with a 4x12 leupold.

Back in WV, I use to do a lot of walking/hunting. I wanted my rifle to have a short barrel and not have a big scope to catch on all the branches, briars, and vines that cover the thick woods of West Virginia. When you got in the real thick country, I hunted deer like rabbits, basically flushing them from the thickets. Being able to throw up that lever gun and get a quick bead on the deer was beneficial. I never took pop shots at deer, but if they do stop or sneak up on them around the bend, they seldom give you more than a second or two before they bolt off again.

That is actually why I went to traditional bow hunting. I remember the side mounted quivers, fiber optic sights, cams, peep sight rubber tube catching on absolutely everything stalking through those thickets. When I was 16, i bought a 100$ fancy bow sight, and before season was over, I had broken all the fiber optics except one. I began stripping off everything from compound, stuffed my arrows in my belt, and eventually the got rid of the sight. Once I was bare bow, I wanted to get rid of that release as well, and swapped over to recurve and just wore a 3 finger glove.

I originally bought my M4 to use as a hunting rifle, but I have relegated it to a range gun.

Re: Walking around, light weight rifle [Re: t george] #5595275 02/12/15 03:54 AM
C
charlesb Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
A Browning BLR with a holographic optical sight makes a good light stalking gun. - Maybe in .308 or .358 Winchester.

I know a guy who swears by his BLR in .450 Marlin. Dunno what kind of scope he uses.

Kind regards, charlesb

Re: Walking around, light weight rifle [Re: 6.5x47Lapua] #5595469 02/12/15 07:42 AM
B
blackcoal Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: 6.5x47Lapua
Originally Posted By: Deerhunter61
Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
As of this weekend, I was carrying a Tikka Varmint in 223 suppressed. But I also use a Rem bolt gun in 300 blk out suppressed.

Chad, I thought the blackout was designed to be subsonic therefore quiet so why suppress it?

45 acp is subsonic. Do you consider that quiet?

Quieter than a 22-250 with a 16" barrel. Walking around in the woods all day with earplugs or spending a day in August with hearing muffs on my head is not my idea of a walking around rifle. JMO but the OP asked about a walking around rifle. And a 45acp is quieter than a 357 mag.

The Greatest Enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge.--Stephen Hawking
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide