Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: decoys [Re: river bottom] #5591182 02/09/15 10:26 PM
J
jdk1985 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
Everyone knows, we've shot ducks over really shitty, really cheap decoys, and we've shot ducks over really expensive decoys. We care more about how the decoys look than the birds do.

Instagram @justinkingwoodworking
Re: decoys [Re: garrett] #5591186 02/09/15 10:29 PM
T
TTUhunter4 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: garrett
to many cheapskates on this forum Wal, its falling on deaf ears

No need to call people names, now. Just because someone doesn't like G&H decoys doesn't make them a cheapskate. I own G&H decoys and even some Dakotas, and they are more than expensive than G&H. There is nothing wrong with someone having a different opinion, so lets not stoop down to insulting people because we disagree about which fake plastic ducks we should buy. grin

"God made man, but Samuel Colt made them equal."
Re: decoys [Re: TTUhunter4] #5591198 02/09/15 10:39 PM
garrett Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: TTUhunter4
Originally Posted By: wal1809
Lol. My brother was all proud of his ghg decoys this season. End of season he asked me where all the paint went. I told him back to china you dumb bastage 😄

Nothing dumb about buying good-looking decoys.

What is a duck decoy's job? To look like a duck. Which of these looks more like a pintail?

End of discussion.

now go set those decoys up 20-30 yards away and take a look, doesn't matter what they look like in the hand. buy quality, you'll come out money ahead every time up

Again, ducks see much, much better than we do. I personally can tell the difference easily at 30-40 yards, and research tells us that ducks can tell the difference from 2-3 times the range that we can. Now, whether that effects there decision to decoy or not we will never know because we can't get inside their heads.

speaking from experience (not something I read along the way) ducks dont care how life like a decoy is like. If they did why would they land in my spread with those crappy G&H decoys I run?

Last edited by garrett; 02/09/15 10:42 PM.

Attention rickym, this is not a troll post, just a good hearted fun type of post
Re: decoys [Re: TTUhunter4] #5591231 02/09/15 10:58 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Lol. My brother was all proud of his ghg decoys this season. End of season he asked me where all the paint went. I told him back to china you dumb bastage 😄

What is a duck decoy's job? To look like a duck. Which of these looks more like a pintail?

End of discussion.

now go set those decoys up 20-30 yards away and take a look, doesn't matter what they look like in the hand. buy quality, you'll come out money ahead every time up

Again, ducks see much, much better than we do. I personally can tell the difference easily at 30-40 yards, and research tells us that ducks can tell the difference from 2-3 times the range that we can. Now, whether that effects there decision to decoy or not we will never know because we can't get inside their heads.

Flash catches their attention.

They are looking for movement, water ripples, other ducks feeding, ducks swimming etc...not coloration differences. Ducks molt. Toss in light refraction and the color changes it causes, you can pretty much toss out needing to be being a worldly artist.

If life like painting was needed, wooden blocks would of died years ago.

Lack of wind/ movement is the spread killer not artistic presentation. IMO

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: decoys [Re: BOBO the Clown] #5591269 02/09/15 11:17 PM
B
Buffs 1 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B

They are looking for movement, water ripples, other ducks feeding, ducks swimming etc...not coloration differences. Ducks molt. Toss in light refraction and the color changes it causes, you can pretty much toss out needing to be being a worldly artist.

[/quote]

I don't think anyone would argue that other things are far more important (finding the x, decoy movement, hidden blind, etc.)
But I do think lifelike decoys improve your chances on wary late season birds. Even if its only a little bit compared to other things.

Re: decoys [Re: Buffs 1] #5591283 02/09/15 11:26 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Buffs 1

I don't think anyone would argue that other things are far more important (finding the x, decoy movement, hidden blind, etc.)
But I do think lifelike decoys improve your chances on wary late season birds. Even if its only a little bit compared to other things.

[/quote]

We all need advantages in late season that's for sure. Not that the more realistic hurts or any thing. I just think it's over emphasized. I'll take how the desk rides in water over presentation. Slap of the water on a plastic deek drives me nuts.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: decoys [Re: TTUhunter4] #5591292 02/09/15 11:32 PM
A
aerangis Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
A
Originally Posted By: Ben Lilly

End of discussion.

How is that the end of the discussion? The ducks are the judges, not the hunters.

Well, if anything your argument supports using more lifelike decoys as ducks are known to see much better than humans. They can see detail at a much greater distance than we can. Ducks see about 3 times better than we do.

Ducks see as well as some hawks minus the binocular aspect, the upside being a 300+ degree field of view, the downside being less depth perception.

The argument about which deke looks more realistic is kinda silly when you take into consideration the fact that ducks see UV wavelengths which humans do not. Regardless what a painted piece of plastic looks like to human eyes, a real duck looks entirely different to its brethren and nothing at all how our eyes perceive it.

Though I don't buy into the "realism at all costs" mantra, I do enjoy looking at a spread of realistic looking dekes as long as someone else is buying. Looking back at some of cartoonish looking decoys I've hunted over years past and the great success we had hunting over said dekes, it's apparent that expensive realistic looking duck dekes are intended to decoy wallets out of pockets by appealing to the buyer more so than a duck hunters potential quarry.

Feathers are a work of art that plastic and paint cannot duplicate at any price. God certainly knew what he was doing when he created them cheers

Re: decoys [Re: river bottom] #5591605 02/10/15 02:40 AM
B
Ben Lilly Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
I guess the the goofy cartoonish ones only work on trash ducksconfused2

Re: decoys [Re: garrett] #5591686 02/10/15 03:20 AM
F
Fooshman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
F

Who puts decoys out that far? confused2

I'm still waiting on your check to cover the boat. realmad

[Linked Image]

Re: decoys [Re: Hopedale] #5591691 02/10/15 03:23 AM
F
Fooshman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
F
Originally Posted By: Hopedale

Now you know dang good and well you go to Academy for the clearance Game Winner deeks. bolt

Some of my go-tos are good ole Game Winner.

[Linked Image]

Re: decoys [Re: river bottom] #5591786 02/10/15 04:02 AM
M
Merican Duck Hunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Two seasons ago I did a study for a discussion like this that I had with another hunting buddy. He said realistic looking deks dont matter. So over close to a dozen hunts, Half the spread would be G&H and the other side GHG progrades. I'd say that close to 80% of the time the birds that finished did so on the side of the GHG's. That was throughout the season, with different wind conditions and spreads...
Having said that, I've seen birds killed over 2 liter bottles... I also switched to Dakota's this year, and after the awesome customer service I received I will be a lifelong customer! Decoys may be more to fool the hunter than the ducks (I think I said that right) but I take pride in my spreads, and I like good looking blocks!

Last edited by Merican Duck Hunter; 02/10/15 04:31 AM.

Arise.Kill.Eat -Acts 10:13
Originally Posted by Nathan Nelson
I have read a bunch of stuff on the internet about Star Wars but that does not mean I can skin a deer with a light saber.
Re: decoys [Re: river bottom] #5591819 02/10/15 04:20 AM
F
Fooshman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
F
What issue did you have that needed customer service?

[Linked Image]

Re: decoys [Re: river bottom] #5591835 02/10/15 04:29 AM
M
Merican Duck Hunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Im not certain what it was between the dog jumping on top of the decoy bag or me falling on it a few moments later but upon deployment I discovered one of my drake heads was cracked nearly in half. I called Dakota after the hunt was over and explained I wasn't exactly positive what had happened, but I was sure at falt, and wanted to know how much it would be for a replacement head. All he asked was what position head, and whats your address, I told him and he said two more are on the way. Got them two days later!

Arise.Kill.Eat -Acts 10:13
Originally Posted by Nathan Nelson
I have read a bunch of stuff on the internet about Star Wars but that does not mean I can skin a deer with a light saber.
Re: decoys [Re: river bottom] #5592210 02/10/15 03:17 PM
A
aerangis Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
A
That is great customer service!

Re: decoys [Re: Fooshman] #5592691 02/10/15 07:44 PM
garrett Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Fooshman

Who puts decoys out that far? confused2

I'm still waiting on your check to cover the boat. realmad

I dont believe you even own a boat...still haven't seen that thing

Attention rickym, this is not a troll post, just a good hearted fun type of post
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide