Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Whitetail & Exotic question [Re: don k] #5590508 02/09/15 04:23 PM
D
DustyWyoming Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: don k
All of this LF-HF hunting is really a bunch of crap. The so called LF purest who see themselves as true hunters as opposed to HF hunters who they refer to as only killers really cracks me up. The LF so called "Hunter" and I use the term very loosely sits in a probably heated tall box blind. He has corn and protein feeders in front of him as well as numerous senderos cut so he can ambush any thing that ventures in their area of sight. So called hunting like that is not hunting it is baiting. You are competing with those around your area on who can best bribe the deer to come visit. Back years ago when I guided I had those that in their minds considered themselves real hunters. A few probably were but most if they got out of the stand would be lost. I am not especially fond of bow hunters because of some problems in the past. But a bow hunter that will actually stalk an animal, not sit in a tree trying to ambush one is a real hunter. And that could be either HF or LF.

I agree

Re: Whitetail & Exotic question [Re: LuckyHunter] #5591222 02/09/15 10:54 PM
W
WTGuide Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
popcorn

Think you can/Think you can't/Either way you're right

Re: Whitetail & Exotic question [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #5591408 02/10/15 01:00 AM
Curtis Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
It's like comparing apples to oranges. Put and take hunts discuss me. But.... Supply and demand will always decide the long term viability of all businesses. Even put and take hunts. Property rights cannot be controlled by government to suppress those hunts.

If there is a market for them, so be it. No comparison to the life of a chicken that never leaves it's cage stacked ten high and crapped on from above until it's fattened up enough.....

I am glad there are HF operations that aren't put and take, and provide year round hunting opportunities for beautiful animals, many which are delicious to eat.

I have hunted and will hunt these ranches again and look forward to the next one. Especially when I can't hunt our native game and my trigger finger is getting itchy.

Are you talking about broilers or laying hens? Laying hens are in cages and broilers free roam in an enclosure. The laying hens do not get fattened up at all. Majority of those get made into dog food and I don't know of any that are made into something for human consumption because you would be good to even get enough off of them for one chicken nugget size of meat. They are in cages, and they can be stacked high, but certainly not fattened up. That's just not the way it works for laying hens or the way they are bred for that purpose.

Broilers are what are fattened up and are pretty lazy to move around. Those go out for human consumption and can weigh anywhere from 3.7-4.5 lbs in about 30 days. Some of the growers still raise 6-7 lb birds but there is not many of those left in the industry.

I grew up raising poultry and still do. My grandparents had laying hens and we have broilers. Going on about 39 years now.

Last edited by Curtis; 02/10/15 01:02 AM.

Double Arrow Bow Hunting
www.doublearrowbowhunting.com
Bow hunters welcome!
Whitetail-Axis-Blackbuck-Fallow-Barasingha-Scimitar Oryx
Located in Gonzales County.
Visit our Facebook page for current updates!

Re: Whitetail & Exotic question [Re: Curtis] #5591468 02/10/15 01:37 AM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: Curtis
It's like comparing apples to oranges. Put and take hunts discuss me. But.... Supply and demand will always decide the long term viability of all businesses. Even put and take hunts. Property rights cannot be controlled by government to suppress those hunts.

If there is a market for them, so be it. No comparison to the life of a chicken that never leaves it's cage stacked ten high and crapped on from above until it's fattened up enough.....

I am glad there are HF operations that aren't put and take, and provide year round hunting opportunities for beautiful animals, many which are delicious to eat.

I have hunted and will hunt these ranches again and look forward to the next one. Especially when I can't hunt our native game and my trigger finger is getting itchy.

Are you talking about broilers or laying hens? Laying hens are in cages and broilers free roam in an enclosure. The laying hens do not get fattened up at all. Majority of those get made into dog food and I don't know of any that are made into something for human consumption because you would be good to even get enough off of them for one chicken nugget size of meat. They are in cages, and they can be stacked high, but certainly not fattened up. That's just not the way it works for laying hens or the way they are bred for that purpose.

Broilers are what are fattened up and are pretty lazy to move around. Those go out for human consumption and can weigh anywhere from 3.7-4.5 lbs in about 30 days. Some of the growers still raise 6-7 lb birds but there is not many of those left in the industry.

I grew up raising poultry and still do. My grandparents had laying hens and we have broilers. Going on about 39 years now.

Maybe he meant apples and aardvarks.

Still haven't heard anyone address the fact that if it ain't native white tail it's put and take. I guess some folks disgust themselves. grin

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Whitetail & Exotic question [Re: LuckyHunter] #5592906 02/10/15 10:08 PM
7ARanch Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
I disgust myself all the time but is has nothing to do with hunting...
As for any non-native game it's put and take and you really can't justify calling it something else BUT that doesn't mean it can't be just as challenging as hunting them in their native land provided they have been there a generation or two. This is opinion not fact but the first ones that are brought in had to be bred somewhere (with I'm sure a few trapped exceptions) and that means penned etc. their offspring don't know that they aren't in India or where ever. They are just wild animals born where ever they are. My 2cents

Destroyer 340; Easton Flatline; Grim Reapers
Not as Mean Not as Lean but still a Marine

Billy Bob: My nose is dripping on my balls...
Re: Whitetail & Exotic question [Re: 7ARanch] #5593539 02/11/15 06:27 AM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
A lot of people with little experience.

Wild deer that have never seen a pen are routinely tamed down when around people. Lots of folks have "wild" deer/exotics that have never seen a pen, eating in their back yards.

And I can show you pen raised deer that run like the devil is after them when approached. The idea that pen raised deer have never learned to be wary is incorrect. Many that I've seen are wilder than back yard natives.

I know, that doesn't serve the narrative, funny how truth has it's own agenda .

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Whitetail & Exotic question [Re: therancher] #5593630 02/11/15 01:09 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: therancher
Originally Posted By: Curtis

Maybe he meant apples and aardvarks.

Still haven't heard anyone address the fact that if it ain't native white tail it's put and take. I guess some folks disgust themselves. grin

I stand corrected then, layers, not boilers. I think the point was made without these details. Curtis, I was not trying to say I think raising chickens this way was wrong, just pointing out other animals are raised for business that are worse off than put and take, release for shooting animals.

Rancher, you are technically correct, but I am sure you know the comparison I was making is the transport to a pen and release for shooting. Not exotics born and raised in LF environment or large HF place.

Last edited by Pitchfork Predator; 02/11/15 01:13 PM.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide