Page 1 of 2 1 2
Bad range day!! #5585306 02/06/15 01:54 AM
B
BoomStick Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
B
So went to shoot my subcompact XD40. Got new sights installed and testing them out. Well then this happened.

Big flash, and a minor powder burn on my hand. Gun tried to load another round, but failed due the brass still being in the chamber. Guys at the gun range got the brass out for me and then explained that in all his years of shooting he has never seen this before. He stated that it maybe have been a triple load or double load on the round. He was really condescending to me, in front of a lobby of customers, which kinda pissed me off.

Now this was my reload for 40SW. 180gr JHP, 6.7grs of Alliant Unique. Believe once fired brass. 1st reload, back in 2012, just now getting to shoot it, lol. I know you cant triple load a 40sw. And tried to double charge a case. Even if you could get a entire double charge you would not be able to seat the bullet. So my gun is at the smith right now. No visible damage, but probably some shrapnel in the internals. I figured it may have been a hot load with bad piece of brass. And my smith concurs. Now I guess im disassembling the rest of the batch and ditching the brass. Then start over with some new brass.

[Linked Image]gadsden by matt lollar, on Flickr
Re: Bad range day!! [Re: BoomStick] #5585330 02/06/15 02:02 AM
J
JRJ6 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Glad nothing worse happened

Re: Bad range day!! [Re: BoomStick] #5585336 02/06/15 02:04 AM
B
BoomStick Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
B
yeah all in all very lucky. Hopefully gun is fine too.

Re: Bad range day!! [Re: BoomStick] #5585634 02/06/15 05:04 AM
C
ChadTRG42 Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
C
What occurred on the round before this event? Also, how much neck tension do you have on the rounds? If there is not a proper sizing of the brass to hold the bullet in place, and the bullet gets set back into the case upon chambering, it will create a high pressure round. Without knowing your procedures on loading, it's hard to say if it was a double charge (honestly, an unlikely event). The load is a max load, but it should still be fine under normal conditions.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Bad range day!! [Re: BoomStick] #5585646 02/06/15 05:09 AM
B
blackcoal Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
!. Sounds like the load (6.7) may have been over max.
2. 180 gr has been the cause of most kB in 40 S&W
3. Check your OAL. It is easy to seat the bullet a tad too deep in the 40 case and this can quickly send the pressure waaay over the accepted SAAMI.

I think I would save the brass and toss the 180 gr JHP.

Someone will be along to say I'm wrong....

The Greatest Enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge.--Stephen Hawking
Re: Bad range day!! [Re: BoomStick] #5585696 02/06/15 05:45 AM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
I could be way off track but, that brass doesn't look like to me the round was fully in the chamber when it went off. Cannot say I have ever seen a case head and rim stretched out that way before.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Bad range day!! [Re: BoomStick] #5585833 02/06/15 01:16 PM
P
papa45 Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
P
kmon1: "I could be way off track but, that brass doesn't look like to me the round was fully in the chamber when it went off. Cannot say I have ever seen a case head and rim stretched out that way before."

Agree. I had something similar happen on a 9mm once, not quite as drastic. The side where the rim is stretched so far was probably down over the feed ramp, unsupported.

Re: Bad range day!! [Re: BoomStick] #5586142 02/06/15 03:45 PM
B
BoomStick Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
B
Prior to this event, i fired four magazines through my gun without issue. I'm pretty sure the round was completely seated in the chamber. As the slide was completed closed. Also I dont believe an XD will fire unless the slide is completely closed due it be striker fired.

My loading procedure:
I use a single stage press. These rounds were loading with a lee die set. Have since switched to a lyman carbide die set. I make sure the brass is within proper length according to my data sheet. Chamfer if needed. prime. charge, seat the bullet. Check OAL. which according to my data sheet should be 1.12.

Again according to my data sheet...... Reloaders Guide Alliant powder recipes.(alliant's website)
40sw w/ 180gr speer GDHP 6.7grs of unique. Now it says for a 4" barrel and i have a 3.25"

Obivously i will be checking for updated data, backing down the load and starting again. No worries though. Thanks for the input guys. I tried to answer all the questions.

Re: Bad range day!! [Re: BoomStick] #5586157 02/06/15 03:52 PM
C
clandr1 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Originally Posted By: BoomStick
Guys at the gun range got the brass out for me and then explained that in all his years of shooting he has never seen this before. He stated that it maybe have been a triple load or double load on the round. He was really condescending to me, in front of a lobby of customers, which kinda pissed me off.

People who work at public gun ranges are typically complete a-holes.

Glad you are ok.

Last edited by clandr1; 02/06/15 03:53 PM.
Re: Bad range day!! [Re: BoomStick] #5586209 02/06/15 04:23 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
How do you throw your powder charges?

I started out using an RCBS manual thrower, never liked it. For charges of that size I got a larger variance in my charge weight. A little bit can go a long way!

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Bad range day!! [Re: clandr1] #5586210 02/06/15 04:23 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: clandr1
Guys at the gun range got the brass out for me and then explained that in all his years of shooting he has never seen this before. He stated that it maybe have been a triple load or double load on the round. He was really condescending to me, in front of a lobby of customers, which kinda pissed me off.

Glad you are ok.

You ever see the people who frequent public gun ranges? there is a reason they are mad most of the time.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Bad range day!! [Re: BoomStick] #5586424 02/06/15 05:59 PM
B
BoomStick Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
B
I use a lee powder measure. Which is set lower than my desired load. The. Use a rcbs trickler to get my desired load. +- a 1/10th of a grain. All my loads are one at a time.

Re: Bad range day!! [Re: BoomStick] #5586546 02/06/15 07:34 PM
C
Cool Mo D Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
C
I had two ruptured cases in my .40, gun show ammo from several years ago. No name, address, phone # nothing on box to trace back to. BTW ammo is for sale.

Re: Bad range day!! [Re: Cool Mo D] #5586570 02/06/15 07:50 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: Cool Mo D
I had two ruptured cases in my .40, gun show ammo from several years ago. No name, address, phone # nothing on box to trace back to. BTW ammo is for sale.

You trying to sell live ammo from the batch you personally had 2 blow up from? Sounds like a good time to learn a lesson stop buying cheap arse ammo from God knows where at the gun show and eat the loss. Trash can that stuff, someone is gonna get hurt.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Bad range day!! [Re: redchevy] #5586609 02/06/15 08:18 PM
C
clandr1 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Originally Posted By: redchevy

Glad you are ok.

You ever see the people who frequent public gun ranges? there is a reason they are mad most of the time.

Point taken

Re: Bad range day!! [Re: redchevy] #5586826 02/06/15 10:40 PM
C
Cool Mo D Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
C

You trying to sell live ammo from the batch you personally had 2 blow up from? Sounds like a good time to learn a lesson stop buying cheap arse ammo from God knows where at the gun show and eat the loss. Trash can that stuff, someone is gonna get hurt.

A joke!!! Take it easy.Damn.

Re: Bad range day!! [Re: BoomStick] #5588245 02/07/15 11:36 PM
D
DannyB Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
I’ve read a number of stories about Glocks doing something similar to that because of an unsupported chamber in their 40 caliber guns. I had to look that term up since I didn’t know what it meant, and I shoot and reload for Glock 40. And even though I’ve shot probably a couple of thousand or so 40’s reloaded on a Dillon 550, and shot them in Glock mod 22s, I have been a little nervous about those stories.

So far so good, but after writing this I may blow my hand off tomorrow. However, I load on the low end of all recipes since I’m just target practicing.

Any chance that XD has an unsupported chamber? If so is that swelled top end possibly a result of that?

Re: Bad range day!! [Re: BoomStick] #5589074 02/08/15 06:09 PM
E
Eyesofahunter Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E
My guess and one from experience is a 9mm mixed in with the 40. I have a similar 9mm case fired in a 40 xd but I found the separated case head marked 9mm. Came from a batch of gun show reloads. Same experience odd sound, blow back and failure to feed next round.

My 2 cents

Re: Bad range day!! [Re: DannyB] #5590469 02/09/15 04:06 PM
C
clandr1 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Originally Posted By: DannyB
I’ve read a number of stories about Glocks doing something similar to that because of an unsupported chamber in their 40 caliber guns. I had to look that term up since I didn’t know what it meant, and I shoot and reload for Glock 40. And even though I’ve shot probably a couple of thousand or so 40’s reloaded on a Dillon 550, and shot them in Glock mod 22s, I have been a little nervous about those stories.

So far so good, but after writing this I may blow my hand off tomorrow. However, I load on the low end of all recipes since I’m just target practicing.

Any chance that XD has an unsupported chamber? If so is that swelled top end possibly a result of that?

I believe the Glock 40S&W issues come about primarily when shooting lead bullets. I've rarely heard of an issue when shooting factory ammo (or non-lead bullet reloads done to spec). Nevertheless, the "Glock grenade" myth lives on.

Last edited by clandr1; 02/09/15 04:06 PM.
Re: Bad range day!! [Re: BoomStick] #5592272 02/10/15 04:02 PM
oldoak2000 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
I use a lee powder measure. Which is set lower than my desired load. The. Use a rcbs trickler to get my desired load. +- a 1/10th of a grain. All my loads are one at a time.

Using a scale? what scale? may want to check (calibrate) scale with a precision calibration weight.

Sounds like your doing everything correct.
Only other suggestion would be to dissemble all remaining rounds from that lot, and weigh each powder charge with known accurate scale - but this would be a pain and like looking for needle in a hay-stack.

Re: Bad range day!! [Re: BoomStick] #5592285 02/10/15 04:09 PM
oldoak2000 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Also, what brand of ' 180gr JHP ' bullets?
I wonder if the previous round might have blown the core down the barrel (flaw in jacket at base of hp bullet), leaving the jacket near the chamber making the next round a kaboom cause of 'obstruction'. Do you know where your previous and kaboom rounds struck the target ?

Re: Bad range day!! [Re: clandr1] #5592889 02/10/15 09:55 PM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J

I believe the Glock 40S&W issues come about primarily when shooting lead bullets. I've rarely heard of an issue when shooting factory ammo (or non-lead bullet reloads done to spec). Nevertheless, the "Glock grenade" myth lives on.

You might want to read Glock, The Rise of America's Gun, by Paul M. Barrett. One of the sections references Glocks blowing up using factory ammo including an ammunition manufacturer taking possession of the Glock pistols (over 30 if I remember correctly) after they blew up using factory ammo, as well as Glock settling lawsuits with confidentiality agreements. There are other instances in the book such as law enforcement agencies having incidents with Glocks, while using factory ammo.

Re: Bad range day!! [Re: jeffbird] #5592912 02/10/15 10:11 PM
C
clandr1 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Originally Posted By: jeffbird

You might want to read Glock, The Rise of America's Gun, by Paul M. Barrett. One of the sections references Glocks blowing up using factory ammo including an ammunition manufacturer taking possession of the Glock pistols (over 30 if I remember correctly) after they blew up using factory ammo, as well as Glock settling lawsuits with confidentiality agreements. There are other instances. There have been instances of law enforcement agencies having incidents with Glocks, while using factory ammo.

I hate to admit that I started that book about two or three years ago, but only made it about halfway through before I stopped reading it. Not that I wasn't interested, I'm just not a big reader. Thanks for the additional info.

Re: Bad range day!! [Re: BoomStick] #5592917 02/10/15 10:13 PM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
You're welcome.

Re: Bad range day!! [Re: BoomStick] #5597756 02/13/15 05:02 PM
B
BoomStick Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
B
Danny B -

The xd has a better support for the entire case than glock supposedly. I got my gun back from the smith with no signs of overpressure. He stated that, more than likely weak piece of brass. He did state that glock has less support for a 40 case. You can look and see bulging near the rim. The two rounds he fired through my gun did not have that bulge. Other than that, to each his own. I don't like glock simply because I don't like the grip angle and grip. Other than that, a fine gun.

Oldoak2000 -
I used Hornady XTP, as best as I can remember all my rounds were hitting in the same group. Now I was firing to make sure my sights were properly alligned ( which they were not).

As far as lead rounds for Glocks. All I heard was that the poly-agonal rifling or whatever would lead up real easy and could cause a failure. Again what I have heard. But I don't shoot a Glock nor load solid lead rounds.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide