Page 1 of 2 1 2
food plots on public land... Baiting? #5582740 02/05/15 12:01 AM
T
TXGH Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
T
Is planting a food plot on public land considered baiting? I am trying to find information on it but cannot find that specific answer.

Thanks guys!

Joseph Trousdale
Host Texas Game Hunters TV
TXGameHunters.com

www.TXgamehunters.com
Re: food plots on public land... Baiting? [Re: TXGH] #5582758 02/05/15 12:14 AM
K
KS 196 6/8 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
K
Call the GW in that county. He is going to be the one you have to answer to.

Re: food plots on public land... Baiting? [Re: TXGH] #5582759 02/05/15 12:15 AM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
I'd say depending on what you hunt over it. Call the county GW, they will know.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: food plots on public land... Baiting? [Re: TXGH] #5582775 02/05/15 12:20 AM
T
TXGH Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
T
Sounds good. I was planting on planting oats, clovers and turnips.. the sell that mixture in 50 lbs bags. Will be a lot of work to hike it back to the areas where there is no traffic, and a full day prepping and a full day planting close to a wet week. lol But its worth a shot I think... If its legal

Joseph Trousdale
TXGameHunters.com

www.TXgamehunters.com
Re: food plots on public land... Baiting? [Re: TXGH] #5582794 02/05/15 12:29 AM
E
esnow74 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
E
If you contact the GW, tell us what they say. Interesting question

Re: food plots on public land... Baiting? [Re: TXGH] #5582809 02/05/15 12:36 AM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Sounds like a MBS seed mix. If it's a go, might want to go in in Aug. and do what you can to kill weeds, it will be hot enough to help you out and much easier when you return to plant.

Dennis

Re: food plots on public land... Baiting? [Re: TXGH] #5582822 02/05/15 12:45 AM
E
esnow74 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
E
That's where I think the problem comes in, using pesticides on public lands without a license and permit to do so. You may could just throw some seed out and hope for the best but disturbing public lands is probably where the they draw the line, hence the cutting of tree branches is usually against the rules.

Re: food plots on public land... Baiting? [Re: TXGH] #5582881 02/05/15 01:14 AM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
I wasn't suggesting using any chemicals, I never do except when I had hay fields. You can get allot done with a rake, hoe and muscle, maybe a few ice cold beverages as well.

I don't know jack about the rules on Public land, but I'm sure you can contact someone that manages it?

Dennis

Re: food plots on public land... Baiting? [Re: TXGH] #5582953 02/05/15 01:42 AM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Chances are it will get wiped out by the deer pretty quick.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: food plots on public land... Baiting? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #5583065 02/05/15 02:23 AM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
Chances are it will get wiped out by the deer pretty quick.

More likely than not, if it is a small plot and high deer density.

Dennis

Re: food plots on public land... Baiting? [Re: TXGH] #5583070 02/05/15 02:24 AM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Based on past conversations with the staff at the Davey Crocket National Forest, it would be considered as baiting. I remember specifically a staff member telling me about individuals who got fined for clearing an area and planting a food plot with box stands next to it.

The are usually very strict about that kind of thing. I also had one of their officers tell me that he cited a guy who had cleared shooting lanes in the forest.

Better check with the staff at the office that oversees the public land first.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: food plots on public land... Baiting? [Re: TXGH] #5583139 02/05/15 02:48 AM
T
TXGH Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
T
Thanks for the info guys. I know you are not allowed to CUT down brush, trees or anything like that.. But the area I am thinking is already cleared.. just full of leaves ect on the ground, so would have to rake and then throw down the seed close to rainy days to get some water on them. It is 1.5 mile walk back to where NO ONE goes. I put a 20.00 bill on an older chair right n the open when I was scouting this area.. I left it there for a two weeks DURING deer season to see if it would be gone, and no one took the 20.00 bill or the chair lol. So its VERY lightly traveled.

Two dry creek beds connect right there where I am taking this picture from.

Killed my 1 deer there this year. But was tough on public land to locate more of course.

Joseph Trousdale
TXGameHunters.com

www.TXgamehunters.com
Re: food plots on public land... Baiting? [Re: TXGH] #5583236 02/05/15 03:35 AM
K
KS 196 6/8 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
K
1.5 mile walk. I''d give anything to have your energy again, I could get there but getting a kill out......

Last edited by KS 196 6/8; 02/05/15 04:07 AM.
Re: food plots on public land... Baiting? [Re: TXGH] #5583243 02/05/15 03:39 AM
P
postoak Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
Someone recently told me there are food plots for turkey in the SHNF apparently planted by some turkey organization, I presume with forest service approval.

Re: food plots on public land... Baiting? [Re: TXGH] #5583263 02/05/15 03:48 AM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Understand now. Your intention is to operate in that gray area where you're really not breaking any laws as such, but just enhancing an area in a more natural way and not throwing up a feeder.

If the area is very remote, I would say go for it, so long as you realize that you can never feel as if you are the only one who can hunt it. After all, it is public land.

Re: food plots on public land... Baiting? [Re: TXGH] #5583382 02/05/15 05:03 AM
T
Texas Turkey Hunter DFW Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Well now that the game wardens know what your doing your gonna get arrested! Trust me they read this forum on a daily basis. If they haven't already pulled the metadata from your picture which gives the EXACT location this picture was taken then they will very soon! YES the planting of non native grasses or crops of any kind or the baiting of wildlife is VERY MUCH ILLEGAL on all public lands in Texas! What ever MORON made you think it wasn't is an idiot! Read the year book it is very clear on this subject! You CANNOT use any attractant of any kind for Whitetail deer or Wild Turkey or migratory birds or any other animal including feral hogs on public hunting lands......

Re: food plots on public land... Baiting? [Re: Texas Turkey Hunter DFW] #5583438 02/05/15 05:45 AM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Originally Posted By: Texas Turkey Hunter DFW
Well now that the game wardens know what your doing your gonna get arrested! Trust me they read this forum on a daily basis. If they haven't already pulled the metadata from your picture which gives the EXACT location this picture was taken then they will very soon! YES the planting of non native grasses or crops of any kind or the baiting of wildlife is VERY MUCH ILLEGAL on all public lands in Texas! What ever MORON made you think it wasn't is an idiot! Read the year book it is very clear on this subject! You CANNOT use any attractant of any kind for Whitetail deer or Wild Turkey or migratory birds or any other animal including feral hogs on public hunting lands......

He's just asking a question Dbag.. Oh and you can cut the location service off on your phone...

To the op either way there is no undergrowth there for a reason. Limited sunlight is going to give you problems either way... Give your local GW a call for a 100% answer

Re: food plots on public land... Baiting? [Re: TXGH] #5583611 02/05/15 01:47 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
So you cant even use sent attractants on public land?

It's hell eatin em live
Re: food plots on public land... Baiting? [Re: Texas Turkey Hunter DFW] #5583836 02/05/15 03:45 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

You're not supposed to leave stands up more than three days but I have seen people leave them for months on end. So long as they are not nailed to trees and their owners recognize they are first come, first serve, I see no foul. In fact, the hunters I know who hunt public land get along better with fewer conflicts than a lot of lease hunters.

Yes, it's an unwillingness to share that drives a lot of hunters away from public land.

Re: food plots on public land... Baiting? [Re: TXGH] #5583865 02/05/15 03:59 PM
T
Texas Turkey Hunter DFW Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Oh so I'm the Dbag? He is gonna break the law and I'm the bad guy! If he was smart enuff to turn off the location services on his phone then maybe he will be in the clear BUT if he didn't then YES TPWD game wardens are VERY familiar with how to get and translate metadata! You guys tell him sure we think it is ok to bait deer on public land, he says it is a1.5 mile walk into the area and no one took my 20 dollars! I say YA know what GO FOR IT! And when the game wardens catch you and take your gun and your truck and you loose your hunting license for life then maybe you will READ THE RULES! I have found tube feeders, snares, deer blocks, food plots & permanant tree stands on public land, all were reported and removed by game wardens after they set up hidden cameras and caught the guys, some during deer season and some after deer season ended! People are either stupid or just don't care if they get caught. Every other hunter on public land knows that the further you walk in the better your chances are of finding more deer or turkey. Wanna call me a Dbag? Go ahead but I will bet you your paycheck he gets caught!

Answer to the above question? Yes you can use "scent" attractants on public lands, either liquid, solid or aerosol. No you can not plant food plots on public land! Here is the definition of baiting from Both the NFS "Baiting" - Baiting and hunting over baited areas to attract wildlife is not allowed in the National Forests and Grasslands in Texas. & TPWD " Bait: Minerals, vegetative material, or any other "food" substance placed to lure any wildlife resource."

Re: food plots on public land... Baiting? [Re: TXGH] #5583901 02/05/15 04:14 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Yes you are a Dbag Texas Turkey. Your condescending post makes you so. What do you expect when you start calling people that ask for an opinion a MORON and IDIOT?

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: food plots on public land... Baiting? [Re: TXGH] #5583992 02/05/15 04:58 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
I don't know about food plots but I took my son out this last weekend to squirrel hunt and we saw cracked corn scattered all along the road on this publc land we were on. I called to ask about being able to have my squirrel dog with me since someone told me they weren't allowed. It didn't state no dogs allowed in the Regs box she aggreed. When I asked about baiting and mentioned the corn she said "Oh, that happens". Hmmmm?!

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: food plots on public land... Baiting? [Re: Texas Dan] #5583997 02/05/15 04:59 PM
T
TXGH Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
Understand now. Your intention is to operate in that gray area where you're really not breaking any laws as such, but just enhancing an area in a more natural way and not throwing up a feeder.

If the area is very remote, I would say go for it, so long as you realize that you can never feel as if you are the only one who can hunt it. After all, it is public land.

I am well aware that I may never be the only one to hunt it. And if someone else sets up on it I cannot get mad as it is public land. However the odds are slim.

Joseph Trousdale
TXGameHunters.com

www.TXgamehunters.com
Re: food plots on public land... Baiting? [Re: TXGH] #5583998 02/05/15 05:01 PM
P
Pittstate Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
I understand where Texas Turkey is coming from (phrased it a bit harsh though). When I first came to Texas 10 years ago, public was my only option. I played by the rules, but many others didn't. I got tired of walking up on people's feeders, blinds, hog traps (no tag, so was illegal), food blocks, etc. Some even had the ballz to set up game cameras. Looking back, I wish I had taken pics and reported all of them to the GW. I did tell buddies about most of them and I heard through the grapevine that some of them may have been "relocated".

The OP is doing the right thing by asking the question and starting to get the right answer.

I too found several of my Texas hunting buddies while hunting/fishing public land. We have more in common than most think.

Re: food plots on public land... Baiting? [Re: TXGH] #5584013 02/05/15 05:06 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Oh so I'm the Dbag? He is gonna break the law and I'm the bad guy! If he was smart enuff to turn off the location services on his phone then maybe he will be in the clear BUT if he didn't then YES TPWD game wardens are VERY familiar with how to get and translate metadata! You guys tell him sure we think it is ok to bait deer on public land, he says it is a1.5 mile walk into the area and no one took my 20 dollars! I say YA know what GO FOR IT! And when the game wardens catch you and take your gun and your truck and you loose your hunting license for life then maybe you will READ THE RULES! I have found tube feeders, snares, deer blocks, food plots & permanant tree stands on public land, all were reported and removed by game wardens after they set up hidden cameras and caught the guys, some during deer season and some after deer season ended! People are either stupid or just don't care if they get caught. Every other hunter on public land knows that the further you walk in the better your chances are of finding more deer or turkey. Wanna call me a Dbag? Go ahead but I will bet you your paycheck he gets caught!

Answer to the above question? Yes you can use "scent" attractants on public lands, either liquid, solid or aerosol. No you can not plant food plots on public land! Here is the definition of baiting from Both the NFS "Baiting" - Baiting and hunting over baited areas to attract wildlife is not allowed in the National Forests and Grasslands in Texas. & TPWD " Bait: Minerals, vegetative material, or any other "food" substance placed to lure any wildlife resource."

He was simply asking to make sure he didn't do anything wrong... You act as if he has already done the deed... A simple answer is all he was looking for not to be talked down to

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide