Forums46
Topics536,995
Posts9,719,275
Members86,987
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Bill to Have Surgeon General Report on "Gun Violence" #5582807 02/05/15 12:36 AM
J
jeffbird Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
J
114th CONGRESS
1st Session
H. R. 224

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

January 8, 2015
Ms. Kelly of Illinois introduced the following bill; which was referred to the Committee on Energy and Commerce

A BILL

To require the Surgeon General of the Public Health Service to submit to Congress an annual report on the effects of gun violence on public health.

1.Report on effects of gun violence on public health
Not later than one year after the date of the enactment of this Act, and annually thereafter, the Surgeon General of the Public Health Service shall submit to Congress a report on the effects on public health of gun violence in the United States during the relevant period, and the status of actions taken to address such effects.

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/114/hr224/text

Re: Bill to Have Surgeon General Report on "Gun Violence" [Re: jeffbird] #5582815 02/05/15 12:40 AM
E
esnow74 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
E
I've yet to meet a violent gun. I have met plenty violent humans, maybe the surgeon general should spend some time on this? Maybe more studies and money spent on mental health would help violent people from using guns. Just my 2cents

Re: Bill to Have Surgeon General Report on "Gun Violence" [Re: jeffbird] #5582856 02/05/15 01:06 AM
J
JRJ6 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Agree ^^^

Re: Bill to Have Surgeon General Report on "Gun Violence" [Re: esnow74] #5582895 02/05/15 01:19 AM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: esnow74
I've yet to meet a violent gun. I have met plenty violent humans, maybe the surgeon general should spend some time on this? Maybe more studies and money spent on mental health would help violent people from using guns. Just my 2cents

X's2

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Bill to Have Surgeon General Report on "Gun Violence" [Re: jeffbird] #5583372 02/05/15 04:57 AM
F
foodieguy Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
F
So whats the big deal? There are a lot of accidental shootings, murders, and suicides but the NRA has congress wrapped up so tight that the govt can't even study the topic. What are they afraid of, that guns could be made safer for the rightful owners? Look how far auto safety has come, a lot could be done with weapons too.

Adult late onset hunter. Why did I wait so long to get started?
Re: Bill to Have Surgeon General Report on "Gun Violence" [Re: jeffbird] #5583513 02/05/15 12:10 PM
D
Dry Fire Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
D
The SG should also file a annual report showing how many lives are saved each year because of gun ownership. My bet is that Ms Kelly would want a home owner shooting a burglar to be considered gun violence and not a reason to own a weapon for protection.

coffee spelled backwards is eeffoc. I don't give eeffoc until I have my morning coffee.
Re: Bill to Have Surgeon General Report on "Gun Violence" [Re: jeffbird] #5583519 02/05/15 12:23 PM
C
cyberpyrot Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
there just just being proactive in preparation from the guns becoming self aware.

I'm a terrible shot but I follow up with a grenade!
Re: Bill to Have Surgeon General Report on "Gun Violence" [Re: foodieguy] #5583782 02/05/15 03:14 PM
H
HillbillyDeluxe Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted By: foodieguy
So whats the big deal? There are a lot of accidental shootings, murders, and suicides but the NRA has congress wrapped up so tight that the govt can't even study the topic. What are they afraid of, that guns could be made safer for the rightful owners? Look how far auto safety has come, a lot could be done with weapons too.

The big deal is most of us see where this is headed. A cursory review of the SG's past positions, as well as the positions of an organization started by him, will give the underlying driving force behind this. He said in his confirmation hearing that he would not use his appointment to further his anti-gun agenda. Please forgive me if I don't believe him.

Re: Bill to Have Surgeon General Report on "Gun Violence" [Re: HillbillyDeluxe] #5583993 02/05/15 04:58 PM
J
jeffbird Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: HillbillyDeluxe

The big deal is most of us see where this is headed. A cursory review of the SG's past positions, as well as the positions of an organization started by him, will give the underlying driving force behind this. He said in his confirmation hearing that he would not use his appointment to further his anti-gun agenda. Please forgive me if I don't believe him.

Correct.

http://news.investors.com/ibd-editorials...cate.htm?p=full

Second Amendment: The administration's choice to be the nation's doctor in chief views gun ownership as a public health issue and not a constitutional right, and wants doctors to query patients about guns in their homes.

Cop-killer Mumia Abu-Jamal's champion, Debo Adegbile, President Obama's defeated pick to be assistant attorney general for the civil rights division at the Department of Justice, is not the only radical on President Obama's wish list.

That list includes gun-grabbing advocate Dr. Vivek Hallegere Murthy, Obama's nominee to be U.S. Surgeon General.

Murthy is the 36-year-old president and co-founder of the anti-gun group Doctors for America, which advocates ObamaCare and gun control laws.

His group, which has been dubbed "Docs vs. Glocks," has pushed Congress to ban "assault" weapons and "high-capacity" magazines.

He also wants to spend more tax dollars on more research to prove that fewer guns mean a lower crime rate, despite the fact that a number of reputable studies prove the opposite.

At a recent hearing before the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee, Sen. Lamar Alexander inquired about Murthy's social media comments on firearms, such as this tweet before the 2012 presidential election: "Tired of politicians playing politics w/ guns, putting lives at risk b/c they're scared of NRA. Guns are a health care issue."

Murthy's Twitter timeline is chock-full of his anti-firearms screeds.

"NRA press conference disappointing but predictable — blame everything in the world except guns for the Newtown tragedy. #wakeup," he tweeted in December 2012.

Doctors for America has also promoted the invasion of privacy by doctors by allowing them to ask patients if they have guns at home, including asking children if their parents own guns, and pushing back against Florida Gov. Rick Snyder's decision to sign into law a bill prohibiting doctors there from asking the question.

He would have doctors counsel their patients against exercising their Second Amendment rights. One wonders how private that information might remain if entered into the medical records the government would be privy to under ObamaCare.

Murthy ignores the fact that mass shootings such as at Sandy Hook Elementary in Newtown, Conn., occur in so-called gun-free zones where the only armed individual is the predator.

The call for universal background checks, including at all gun shows, ignores that the guns Adam Lanza used at Sandy Hook were legally purchased and registered by his mother.

Just such a gun-free zone policy is why the Aurora, Colo., shooter carefully chose the theater he did. And unlike the mall in Clackamass, Ore., where a concealed-carry holder prevented a massacre, there was no one in Aurora to shoot back.

At Sandy Hook, 27-year-old teacher Victoria Soto hid students in a bathroom or closet and died trying to protect them from shooter Lanza. If she, the principal or any of the other adults at the school had access to a firearm, things might have turned out differently.

A recent Department of Justice study found only 0.7% of guns were purchased at gun shows and only 20% of guns used in crimes were purchased anywhere. Chicago street gangs, which are responsible for most of that city's homicides, are unlikely to line up for gun permits.

The 1994 Assault Weapons Ban, which did nothing to prevent Columbine, was largely based on a weapon's cosmetic appearance, not on its capability for carnage.

Murthy would be the first to confirm the efficacy of vaccinations to prevent disease.

Millions of law-abiding Americans believe that a gun in their hand is better than a cop on the phone and that their constitutionally guaranteed right to keep and bear arms is inoculation against being another unarmed victim of an armed predator.

Re: Bill to Have Surgeon General Report on "Gun Violence" [Re: jeffbird] #5584047 02/05/15 05:23 PM
7ARanch Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Jeffbird is spot on but in addition to the obvious 2d Amendment issues. I really don't need Washington throwing away more of my tax dollars on BS studies that will prove nothing useful.

Foodieguy so if for no other reason wasting our hard earned tax dollars on studying the behavior of an inanimate object it plenty of reason to not do this.

Destroyer 340; Easton Flatline; Grim Reapers
Not as Mean Not as Lean but still a Marine

Billy Bob: My nose is dripping on my balls...
Re: Bill to Have Surgeon General Report on "Gun Violence" [Re: jeffbird] #5584165 02/05/15 06:10 PM
J
jeffbird Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
J
Just found this:

MEMORANDA OF PRESIDENT
PRESIDENTIAL MEMORANDUM
<January 16, 2013, 78 F.R. 4295>
ENGAGING IN PUBLIC HEALTH RESEARCH ON THE CAUSES AND PREVENTION OF GUN VIOLENCE
Memorandum for the Secretary of Health and Human Services
In addition to being a law enforcement challenge, gun violence is also a serious public health issue that affects thousands of individuals, families, and communities across the Nation. Each year in the United States there are approximately 30,000 firearm-related deaths, and approximately 11,000 of those deaths result from homicides. Addressing this critical issue requires a comprehensive, multifaceted approach.
Recent research suggests that, in developing such an approach, a broader public health perspective is imperative. Significant strides can be made by assessing the causes of gun violence and the successful efforts in place for preventing the misuse of firearms. Taking these steps will improve our understanding of the gun violence epidemic and will aid in the continued development of gun violence prevention strategies.
Therefore, by the authority vested in me as President by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, I hereby direct the following:
Section 1. Research. The Secretary of Health and Human Services (Secretary), through the Director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and other scientific agencies within the Department of Health and Human Services, shall conduct or sponsor research into the causes of gun violence and the ways to prevent it. The Secretary shall begin by identifying the most pressing research questions with the greatest potential public health impact, and by assessing existing public health interventions being implemented across the Nation to prevent gun violence.
Sec. 2. General Provisions. (a) Nothing in this memorandum shall be construed to impair or otherwise affect:
(i) the authority granted by law to an executive department or agency, or the head thereof; or
(ii) the functions of the Director of the Office of Management and Budget relating to budgetary, administrative, or legislative proposals.
(b) This memorandum shall be implemented consistent with applicable law and subject to the availability of appropriations.
(c) This memorandum is not intended to, and does not, create any right or benefit, substantive or procedural, enforceable at law or in equity by any party against the United States, its departments, agencies, or entities, its officers, employees, or agents, or any other person.
Sec. 3. Publication. You are hereby authorized and directed to publish this memorandum in the Federal Register.
BARACK OBAMA

Re: Bill to Have Surgeon General Report on "Gun Violence" [Re: jeffbird] #5585218 02/06/15 01:29 AM
M
mikey1313 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
WTF.

Isn't it funny how day by day nothing changes but when you look back everything is different.

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
Re: Bill to Have Surgeon General Report on "Gun Violence" [Re: jeffbird] #5585340 02/06/15 02:06 AM
H
HillbillyDeluxe Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
And so what's next.....is your doctor going to ask you about your driving habits, how many life jackets you have on your boat? Am I going to have to go to my gunsmith to discuss my colon?

This is nothing but the precursor to a gun grab and everyone knows it. That's why it's falling flat.

Re: Bill to Have Surgeon General Report on "Gun Violence" [Re: jeffbird] #5593572 02/11/15 11:51 AM
B
breadman Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
B
well this rep mrs Kelly is from Illinois , the most jacked up state ! with the most jacked up political reputation in the US . and they think they can fix the rest of the states ? the only things good that ever came out of Illinois is my wife and whitetail deer !!

Re: Bill to Have Surgeon General Report on "Gun Violence" [Re: jeffbird] #5593854 02/11/15 03:30 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
The other day my daughter's friend lost her younger brother to suicide. He took her boyfriends gun, took his truck, drove down the road and shot himself. While we should never allow our right to have, carry and use our guns taken or limited we still have a responsibility to do what is within our power to help minimize and mitigate the tragedies that do occur. Those lives matter. Those families matter. While we need to stand strong against our enemies we need to be compassionate to the victims. The more we sideline, ignore and refuse to acknowledge those who suffer from gun violence the more enemies we create to our cause.

So instead of only complaining about the ways they attack us, what can we do to mitigate the circumstances that give them the leverage and ammo to do so?

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Bill to Have Surgeon General Report on "Gun Violence" [Re: passthru] #5593864 02/11/15 03:35 PM
T
Texan Til I Die Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: passthru
The other day my daughter's friend lost her younger brother to suicide. He took her boyfriends gun, took his truck, drove down the road and shot himself. While we should never allow our right to have, carry and use our guns taken or limited we still have a responsibility to do what is within our power to help minimize and mitigate the tragedies that do occur. Those lives matter. Those families matter. While we need to stand strong against our enemies we need to be compassionate to the victims. The more we sideline, ignore and refuse to acknowledge those who suffer from gun violence the more enemies we create to our cause.

So instead of only complaining about the ways they attack us, what can we do to mitigate the circumstances that give them the leverage and ammo to do so?
I suggest focusing on the woeful state of mental healthcare in this country. The effort to "mainstream" more and more people with mental health issues has been an epic failure and needs to be reexamined.

Silver spurs and gold tequila
keep me hanging on.
Pretty girls and old cantinas
give me shelter from the storm.
Re: Bill to Have Surgeon General Report on "Gun Violence" [Re: passthru] #5593869 02/11/15 03:36 PM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms

That is tragic and hard on all involved, but blaming the gun isn't going to solve the problem. Mental health issues need to be addressed without a doubt. Without a gun, there is a good possibility the victims would find another avenue to accomplish their goal.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Bill to Have Surgeon General Report on "Gun Violence" [Re: jeffbird] #5593998 02/11/15 04:36 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I'm not saying it isn't more about mental health in that case. Or in cases of the mass killings. And yes, they would find another way to kill themselves or others. But when we immediately respond the way you two just did the victims families see us a calloused, uncaring, ignorant enablers of the people who use guns for wrong doing.

NRA Life Member
Re: Bill to Have Surgeon General Report on "Gun Violence" [Re: passthru] #5594041 02/11/15 05:01 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N

My sympathy to the family in that situation.

However, irrespective of the politics of the matter, there is no practical solution to the "access" issue as it relates to adults. That horse has long been out of the barn in America.

Efforts on the mental health issue would be a much better use of time and resources.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Bill to Have Surgeon General Report on "Gun Violence" [Re: jeffbird] #5594097 02/11/15 05:30 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Okay. It would be a better use of "resources". So how much is the NRA spending of it's resources to help instead of just stonewalling? We complain about our government not doing it but what are we doing? Am I the only one who believes the pro gun lobbyists and too many gun owners have turned a deaf ear to the cries of the innocent victims?

NRA Life Member
Re: Bill to Have Surgeon General Report on "Gun Violence" [Re: foodieguy] #5594115 02/11/15 05:43 PM
Tbar Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

Do/did you attend the Liberal indoctrination center of UT Austin ??? roflmao

Make America Great Again

Re: Bill to Have Surgeon General Report on "Gun Violence" [Re: passthru] #5594435 02/11/15 08:14 PM
C
Choctaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
C
Okay. It would be a better use of "resources". So how much is the NRA spending of it's resources to help instead of just stonewalling? We complain about our government not doing it but what are we doing? Am I the only one who believes the pro gun lobbyists and too many gun owners have turned a deaf ear to the cries of the innocent victims?

My family has been hit hard by suicide, twice. I have also been in law enforcement for many years and have seen gun violence first hand. I have been a victim myself. There are not enough locks on a gun safe to prevent a person from committing suicide who really wants to die. Likewise, bad guys will continue to kill the good guys. I am against further legislation when it comes to gun control. The government cannot solve every societal issue, it just can't.

Re: Bill to Have Surgeon General Report on "Gun Violence" [Re: breadman] #5594585 02/11/15 10:12 PM
J
jrgocards Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: breadman
well this rep mrs Kelly is from Illinois , the most jacked up state ! with the most jacked up political reputation in the US . and they think they can fix the rest of the states ? the only things good that ever came out of Illinois is my wife and whitetail deer !!

Add me to the good from Illinois list.

JR

Re: Bill to Have Surgeon General Report on "Gun Violence" [Re: passthru] #5594927 02/12/15 01:36 AM
H
HillbillyDeluxe Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
I'm not saying it isn't more about mental health in that case. Or in cases of the mass killings. And yes, they would find another way to kill themselves or others. But when we immediately respond the way you two just did the victims families see us a calloused, uncaring, ignorant enablers of the people who use guns for wrong doing.

They may see us or some that way, but that doesn't make it true. I think I can speak for everyone here when I say that no one wants to see senseless violence in any form, whether it be with a firearm or some other method. However we have to resist the movement to take away OUR rights because someone else abuses their own.

The NRA is pretty hardline on most issues, even some of them where I might have a little bend. However without them, we would be endanger of losing our 2nd Amendment freedoms if they wouldn't have been taken already. And this SG has an agenda....that much is obvious.

Re: Bill to Have Surgeon General Report on "Gun Violence" [Re: jeffbird] #5595140 02/12/15 03:07 AM
B
blackcoal Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
^^^ And every day the NRA has less support from shooters, hunters, gun owners.

The Greatest Enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge.--Stephen Hawking
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide