Forums46
Topics537,969
Posts9,731,184
Members87,051
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Whooping Crane Shot - Reward [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5586280 02/06/15 04:50 PM
J
jeffbird Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
Originally Posted By: passthru
It is interesting. I wonder how long it will take to get the numbers to a sustainable population. How long do you commit such funding to keep them going until you determine it's a money pit?

It's a money pit to many.

To others, it's a statement of our priorities and attitude towards our environment. Conserving and protecting habitat is a laudable goal to many. The Whoopers are both a beneficiary and a symbol of conservation in general.

+1 up

Also, as discussed earlier in the thread, there are lots of businesses making a living off of having them there. Also, preserving the habitat to support them has many collateral benefits such as maintaining the quality of the recreational fishing, which supports boat builders, boat sales and repairs, marinas, hotels, vacation homes, Cabela's and so on. The shrimp and crabs in the grocery store are coming from the same ecosystem. Saving the ecosystem for the Cranes means saving the food supply for humans too. Personally, I like crab and shrimp more than tofu chunks\.

The goal for population size for recovery is 1,000, which seems very attainable.

Re: Whooping Crane Shot - Reward [Re: jeffbird] #5586987 02/07/15 12:31 AM
J
JRR Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
Government dreaming up ways to waste our money.

Re: Whooping Crane Shot - Reward [Re: trapperben] #5587848 02/07/15 05:00 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: trapperben
Great posts from Jeff and Bobo; learned a lot. I suspect the shooter is going to be identified and it will be better if done sooner then later.

what makes you suspect the shooter is going to be identified?

it didn't happen in a parking lot in a Wal-Mart there are probably 2-3 guys tops who where there when it was shot. maybe less than that.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Whooping Crane Shot - Reward [Re: jeffbird] #5591853 02/10/15 04:44 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Sometimes you have to move backwards, to move forward. Same way with saving a species. It is in human nature to save something even if it costs a ton of money. Hopefully they won't be artificially sustained and live on their own which I think they are for the most part.

Re: Whooping Crane Shot - Reward [Re: JRR] #5592522 02/10/15 06:18 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
Originally Posted By: JRR
Did you NOT read any of this?

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: Whooping Crane Shot - Reward [Re: jeffbird] #5592627 02/10/15 07:13 PM
W
Whitecrow Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
W
We had 3 hanging around our goose lease in the Nada area early in the season. Not sure how you could confuse them with anything, even on a foggy day. If the guy shot it on purpose, then I hope he gets the full punishment. I'm going to guess that the treatment of the last guy who turned himself in will keep this one from doing the same.

Re: Whooping Crane Shot - Reward [Re: Erathkid] #5592631 02/10/15 07:17 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Erathkid
Originally Posted By: JRR
Did you NOT read any of this?

Yes, but becareful if you need drinking water if you live in Corpus Christi, or have cattle or farming land that catches water going into the river basin.

Saltily of the bay is an on going battle. Whether it's the Colorado, Guadalupe, Neuces, lavaca it's the same issue. Flow rates.

The whooping crane carries the most legal weight against state agencies because of its federal status.

It's a catch 22. There is a lot of issues that could of went down if suit would of held. Would of been a big win for the gulf(fish, wildlife, people) but a big loss for anyone that caughts any water that runs into the Gaudalupe river basin, or uses water from the river basin, including municipalities. Add now a precedent that follows through to every river basin in Texas that joins the gulf.

Sad we are in the situation and the drought differently excellerated it.

Sooner or later something has to give. In our life time we may very well see the breaking point.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Whooping Crane Shot - Reward [Re: BOBO the Clown] #5592669 02/10/15 07:30 PM
J
jeffbird Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Sooner or later something has to give. In our life time we may very well see the breaking point.

We are at that critical point right now, actually well past it - ask those who depend on the bay.

Their water has been taken away and they are losing their economic survival.

Meanwhile, city dwellers fill pools, water lawns and golf courses. However, even if we turn all of those uses off right now, there still would not be enough to help those dependent on the bays or the farmers.

If this was happening on a ranch to deer or cattle, the analysis would be too many animals to fit the carrying capacity and the solution would be to lower the numbers. What politician will have the honesty and strength to stand up and say we are full, no more room in this state, or at least the western 2/3's?

Re: Whooping Crane Shot - Reward [Re: jeffbird] #5592697 02/10/15 07:49 PM
kry226 Online Content
The General
Online Content
The General
Absolutely agree, great info in here. And if the bird was shot, the offender deserves vigorous prosecution AND defense in accordance with applicable laws and rights granted in our fair land. But a couple of things piqued my interest.

1. From the article, it's not even certain that the crane actually was shot. Have there been any updates confirming it as a shooting? If so, that should be clarified. If not, might we have our feathers ruffled for little more than nothing?

Quote:
the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service and Texas Parks & Wildlife Department (TPWD) have announced the recent death of a Whooping Crane in Texas, also likely due to a shooting.

Quote:
“The killing of a Whooping Crane in Texas is unforgivable,” said Dr. Elizabeth Smith, ICF Texas Program Director.

Um, no. No it's not, Dr. Smith. And I'm hoping it's not what you really meant.

[Linked Image]
Re: Whooping Crane Shot - Reward [Re: jeffbird] #5592698 02/10/15 07:50 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Originally Posted By: jeffbird

We are at that critical point right now, actually well past it - ask those who depend on the bay.

Meanwhile, city dwellers fill pools, water lawns and golf courses. However, even if we turn all of those uses off right now, there still would not be enough to help those dependent on the bays or the farmers.

If this was happening on a ranch to deer or cattle, the analysis would be too many animals to fit the carrying capacity and the solution would be to lower the numbers. What politician will have the honesty and strength to stand up and say we are full, no more room in this state, or at least the western 2/3's?

Population control.... very true

but people are living longer and having more kids.. they gota go somewere..

Re: Whooping Crane Shot - Reward [Re: Navasot] #5592705 02/10/15 07:57 PM
P
passthru Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: Navasot

Yep, and unfortunately, too many of those super populating the place are the uneducated and ignorant. Too many them are getting a check from the system because they choose to not do anything productive to contribute. There are more not contributing all the time and too few of us who are. And our numbers are dwindling.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Whooping Crane Shot - Reward [Re: jeffbird] #5592713 02/10/15 08:02 PM
P
passthru Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
The city of Fort Worth still allows irrigation, limited, but allows it. Even though there are significant losses to our supply reservoirs, no significant precipitation in sight to change that dismal situation. It's about money. If you stop people from irrigating you sell less water. If you sell less water you can't fund infrastructure upgrades and improvements. To hell with down stream.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Whooping Crane Shot - Reward [Re: jeffbird] #5592721 02/10/15 08:06 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

Hence the reason I said earlier its a slippery slope. Bad situation for everyone. Right now only win win would be for Mother Nature to get a little more consitant and free flowing on rain fall.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Whooping Crane Shot - Reward [Re: jeffbird] #5592725 02/10/15 08:07 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
A lot more consitant actually

Re: Whooping Crane Shot - Reward [Re: passthru] #5592747 02/10/15 08:23 PM
J
jeffbird Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: passthru

Yep, and unfortunately, too many of those super populating the place are the uneducated and ignorant. Too many them are getting a check from the system because they choose to not do anything productive to contribute. There are more not contributing all the time and too few of us who are. And our numbers are dwindling.

While that is the real root problem, I was thinking more of our state actively recruiting businesses and people to move here with promises of no property taxes for umpteen years so I can pay for them, but yes, you are correct.

Re: Whooping Crane Shot - Reward [Re: jeffbird] #5593641 02/11/15 01:22 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
I don't hunt waterfowl but I do hunt doves and quail. When doves are flying in low on the horizon from the direction of a setting or rising sun their color is not discernable. They are just black shapes that are in fact easily identifiable as doves (by shape and flight pattern).

It would really complicate dove hunting if there was an endangered species that had the same form and flight pattern. Sandhills are in fact the same shape as WC's. I've never seen them fly close, but I would assume that they have a similar flight pattern as WC's.

Also, it most definitely IS okay to hunt Sandhills where WC's exist, because they can and do rest in areas on the way to and from the refuge during migration.

Now, I'm not saying that IF it was shot by a hunter, that he/she doesn't know they shot AT it. Because even if it was a mistake shot at a black form, the bird would have turned and given them the opportunity to see it's plumage. What I AM saying is that it MIGHT have been an honest mistake somewhere up the country by a legal Sandhill hunter who could have been relieved that they "missed". When in fact they put a pellet or two in the bird that lead to it's death down the migration route a week or so later.

That idiot lady who said it's "unforgivable" needs to learn some critical thinking skills. There are definitely ways it's forgivable.

Not sure why our resident lawyer didn't point this out.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Whooping Crane Shot - Reward [Re: jeffbird] #5593726 02/11/15 02:21 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Main thing is I don't get how the law is going to prosecute someone so hard for making a mistake when in real life its everyone's fault.... that one bird didn't decide the fait of the species.... human progression did. So before anyone starts pointing fingers may turn it around and check yourself

Re: Whooping Crane Shot - Reward [Re: Navasot] #5593882 02/11/15 03:43 PM
kry226 Online Content
The General
Online Content
The General
Originally Posted By: therancher
I don't hunt waterfowl but I do hunt doves and quail. When doves are flying in low on the horizon from the direction of a setting or rising sun their color is not discernable. They are just black shapes that are in fact easily identifiable as doves (by shape and flight pattern).

It would really complicate dove hunting if there was an endangered species that had the same form and flight pattern. Sandhills are in fact the same shape as WC's. I've never seen them fly close, but I would assume that they have a similar flight pattern as WC's.

Also, it most definitely IS okay to hunt Sandhills where WC's exist, because they can and do rest in areas on the way to and from the refuge during migration.

Now, I'm not saying that IF it was shot by a hunter, that he/she doesn't know they shot AT it. Because even if it was a mistake shot at a black form, the bird would have turned and given them the opportunity to see it's plumage. What I AM saying is that it MIGHT have been an honest mistake somewhere up the country by a legal Sandhill hunter who could have been relieved that they "missed". When in fact they put a pellet or two in the bird that lead to it's death down the migration route a week or so later.

That idiot lady who said it's "unforgivable" needs to learn some critical thinking skills. There are definitely ways it's forgivable.

Not sure why our resident lawyer didn't point this out.

Main thing is I don't get how the law is going to prosecute someone so hard for making a mistake when in real life its everyone's fault.... that one bird didn't decide the fait of the species.... human progression did. So before anyone starts pointing fingers may turn it around and check yourself

Both great posts. up

[Linked Image]
Re: Whooping Crane Shot - Reward [Re: Navasot] #5594805 02/12/15 12:38 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R

I checked, I haven't don't anything to those birds. Now the USACE has, but that's a Fed on Fed crime.

Re: Whooping Crane Shot - Reward [Re: BOBO the Clown] #5596671 02/13/15 12:34 AM
S
sparrish8 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
A lot more consitant actually

Weve had 15 inches if rain in houston in dec. And jan.so i think it depends on what part of the state your in.

But overall we will never catch up on our consumption, I know alot about this as a licensed irrigator, 60% of water used in the City of Houston is through irrigation and they love it because they make alot of $. The Tceq just realized this was a problem in the last 10 years and changed the laws in 2011 but they do not have the ability to enforce them. People need to stop hiring unlicensed illegals that dont know how to actually design systems not to waste water and that will be a big step. Also new smart ET controllers are the wave of the future along with southwestern style scapes.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide