F
flintknapper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted By: rifleman
HDR?

No, unless some aspect of that is built into the camera...which is doubtful. We are talking a nearly 10 year old, inexpensive, Canon S5IS. More than likely...I had it set on 'Auto', and the picture you see...is what I got.

I am no photographer...so any technical terms or discussions will quickly get 'over my head'. I just snap the pictures, transfer them to the computer, upload to photobucket and there you go. They are whatever they are?

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Leupold VS Viper [Re: Precision_Shooter] #5647865 03/12/15 12:13 PM
D
dee Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted By: Precision_Shooter
So I stopped by cabelas today, since I was passing right by it. I compared a Leupold Mark 4 LR/T to a Vortex Viper PST, side by side. Optically, in the store, they looked to be about equal. I know insides the store is not a good comparison...
The turrets on them was a different story! The Mark 4 was horrible. Not tactile in the least, very mushy feeling. Could not hear an audible click l, and could barely feel the click. The PST turrets were 100x better than the Mark 4. Very tactile, audible and you could feel positive engagement from click to click... Looks like I may be getting a PST for my next scope.

The MK4 I have has superior glass by far compared to a Viper HS. The adjustments feel like crap though compared to my other scopes ment for turret twisting. I feel like the MK4 is a great option if bought at the mil/leo discount but I wouldn't pay typical retail.

"A vote is like a rifle; it's usefulness depends on the character of the user" Theodore Roosevelt
Re: Leupold VS Viper [Re: dmov] #5647957 03/12/15 01:23 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Sounds to me from reading y'all's posts that Leupold is behind the curve in the precision/long-range shooting market with their less than satisfactory adjustments.

That's surprising given the growth of that market. They better step up their game.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Leupold VS Viper [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5647977 03/12/15 01:42 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
^^That's exactly right.

They have stepped up their game and are making some (on paper) very nice scopes. This, in the grand scheme of things, is a new development. Given the history of Leupold glass I suspect the clarity is terrific. The problem with the scopes they make to get the precision/ long range work accomplished is price. Their top tier scopes are out of many people's budget. Those folks (such as myself) don't have the budget to get into a Leupold scope, so they look to Vortex or SS to get the features needed, as well as very nice glass. Leupold's prices here are more in line with top tier military grade high end optics. That's, apparently the tier they wanted to market to. Their choice, of course, but they are cutting many of us out due to price.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Leupold VS Viper [Re: J.G.] #5647998 03/12/15 01:51 PM
D
dee Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
^^That's exactly right.

They have stepped up their game and are making some (on paper) very nice scopes. This, in the grand scheme of things, is a new development. Given the history of Leupold glass I suspect the clarity is terrific. The problem with the scopes they make to get the precision/ long range work accomplished is price. Their top tier scopes are out of many people's budget. Those folks (such as myself) don't have the budget to get into a Leupold scope, so they look to Vortex or SS to get the features needed, as well as very nice glass. Leupold's prices here are more in line with top tier military grade high end optics. That's, apparently the tier they wanted to market to. Their choice, of course, but they are cutting many of us out due to price.

Agreed. I have a hard time justifying 2-3k on a Leupold when your in the same price class as some others top tier with known track record. My Leupold was a bit of a oddity for it's time being a mil/mil scope but the downside is 1/20th adjustments and they didn't offer that matching package long at all and are just now back in the mil/mil game

"A vote is like a rifle; it's usefulness depends on the character of the user" Theodore Roosevelt
Re: Leupold VS Viper [Re: dee] #5648010 03/12/15 01:59 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I asked Garret what he used in the Marine Corps. He as in, late nineties. USMC Scout Snipers were using Mark 4 scopes, Mil reticle, MOA turret, and they held onto that for way longer than they should have. These days we see that as asinine.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Leupold VS Viper [Re: J.G.] #5648032 03/12/15 02:12 PM
D
dee Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I asked Garret what he used in the Marine Corps. He as in, late nineties. USMC Scout Snipers were using Mark 4 scopes, Mil reticle, MOA turret, and they held onto that for way longer than they should have. These days we see that as asinine.

Unless things have changed the navy is still ordering their NightForce that way.

Re: Leupold VS Viper [Re: dee] #5648281 03/12/15 05:10 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: dee

Unless things have changed the navy is still ordering their NightForce that way.

"It's the way we've always done it" Is never a good reason to not use the improved version on any tool or method.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Leupold VS Viper [Re: dmov] #5648303 03/12/15 05:25 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Leupold VS Viper [Re: J.G.] #5648305 03/12/15 05:26 PM
D
dee Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted By: dee

"It's the way we've always done it" Is never a good reason to not use the improved version on any tool or method.

Which is what I find odd since they recently upgraded to the newest AI chassis and a Stiller action. So why not up the optics? I guess the good thing is they have a dead nuts reliable scope but converting for adjustments sucks.

Re: Leupold VS Viper [Re: dee] #5648309 03/12/15 05:27 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Absolute silliness.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Leupold VS Viper [Re: BOBO the Clown] #5648686 03/12/15 09:51 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R

I'd make them binoculars sleep in the garage with the dog too. grin

****disclaimer

this comment does not mean in any shape or form that I prefer leupold binos over vortex.

Last edited by rifleman; 03/12/15 09:52 PM.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide