Print Thread
Off season considerations #5580141 02/03/15 05:08 PM
P
passthru Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
P
In between seasons is a time when I often give thought to what my hunting needs and wants are and how I should move forward. Right now I have had my first season on a new lease and it is a pretty good set up. Camp is comfortable with a place to store my lease ride, clean and store game in a walk in cooler, cabin with full kitchen, bath and laundry as well as water, electricity and septic for campers. The deer hunting was pretty darn good. No deer killed of the size I had hoped but with the drought persisting through the early part of the antler growing season it was decent. Plenty of deer, too many acorns, but still, having 12 to 15 deer at your feeder at one time was fun. A few pigs rolled around as the season was ending but not enough to negatively affect the deer. The other hunters were all good folk and I enjoyed sharing the campfires with them. Which is sometimes difficult with ten hunters of different backgrounds together on one place. All in all a place I wouldn't mind staying on for the deer hunting and for an off season respite from city life. Especially this first season of being retired it was fantastic having a place I could stay for days with no job I had to get home to.

However I am looking at what I can't do by having a nice lease at a significant price. For example I would love to go to Double Arrow Bowhunting and take a trophy animal or two with Curtis. I would like to be able to take a few more day lease hunts with friends who aren't on the lease with me. Maybe even go on an guided archery elk hunt. But currently it's an either or choice. I only have so much in my hunting budget.

Here at home, season ended and preparations for next season already in hand I ponder what I want for my hunting future. I love the year round, any time I need to get away, deer lease option. And having one where the game is plentiful is sweet. I even enjoy the work involved with maintaining equipment and camp associated with the lease. But unless I pick up a part time job it will remain a bitter sweet choice. And with grown children and older friends retired from the leasing game I wonder how long my choice will remain with having a deer lease vs. the other available options.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Off season considerations [Re: passthru] #5580150 02/03/15 05:16 PM
S
SniperRAB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Always looking and thinking Sir...
Actually look forward to the offseason to fill in a few other "wants" a change of pace is refreshing at times.

Re: Off season considerations [Re: passthru] #5580247 02/03/15 06:32 PM
J
JRJ6 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
I am actually trying it this year.
I was on a lease last season and decided to take a different approach this year. I have some hunts lined up that I want to try that I ever had a chance to explore because I had a lease.
I have quite a few whitetails on the wall, but do not have an elk, moose, or exotics - that needs to change as hunter. When you break down the amount of money spent on a lease and going on another hunt(s), they are pretty darn close in price.
I may have made a bad decision, but only time will tell. It was worth for me to take a chance this year.

Re: Off season considerations [Re: JRJ6] #5580260 02/03/15 06:41 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
I have been fortunate to have done both package hunts plus be on a great lease for years. Both are great but if pushed to pick I would go with the year round lease. I enjoy the camp and the working on the management part as much as the actual hunting. I go to the lease off and on during the entire year, so I utilize it on a regular basis. The other consideration on a lease is the group you are hunting with and if they are all good guys then it makes for a really enjoyable situation.

Only getting to hunt for a few days, no matter how good the hunt is, would be tough for me.

You can't fix stupid
Re: Off season considerations [Re: passthru] #5580648 02/03/15 11:11 PM
nak Online Sleepy
Veteran Tracker
Online Sleepy
Veteran Tracker
I bought a small place a few years ago to take care of the year round get-away. It's finally paid off, so all that leaves me with is taxes and a tiny elect bill. With paying it off, it is freeing up enough cash to allow me to think about some other guided hunts/game ranch options. I'd love to have a bird dog again, but I'm not quite to the point of being able to shoulder the startup cost on a dog plus a quail lease. I'm considering getting a dog, then hunting public lands the first couple of years.

We all need to practice Whoa more.
Re: Off season considerations [Re: passthru] #5580774 02/04/15 12:17 AM
B
Big_Ag Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
I'm in a similar situation as nak, but up until a couple of years ago, I leased. If you have leased for some time, you know how hard it is to find a good lease with all of the pluses you listed. If I was still in the leasing instead of owning situation, I'd have to think long and hard about giving up my spot on a good lease. I'd save up for some of the extra hunts and maybe do them every other year or two. Just my opinion.

Re: Off season considerations [Re: passthru] #5581086 02/04/15 03:21 AM
R
rowdydog1 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
Hunting to me is more about the experiences with friends. If I had to hunt alone I'd probably quit. So, for me I wouldn't give up a lease unless I was sure I had someone to share the other hunts with.

Re: Off season considerations [Re: passthru] #5581333 02/04/15 11:41 AM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Guided hunts are fun if you buy the right hunt. If I had to choose, no brainer for me choosing a year round lease. 2cents

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Off season considerations [Re: passthru] #5581363 02/04/15 12:15 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
I have done both at one time, but I do the DIY out of state hunt, which is much cheaper. A $2400 lease, that actually ends up running you 6k, would keep me out of the out of state thing. I have hunted with guy's that seemed to go "over budget", they almost hand tantrums if they didn't kill, IMO that makes the whole hunt thing a waste.

I ay pick what gives you the most personal satisfaction.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Off season considerations [Re: passthru] #5581402 02/04/15 12:48 PM
P
postoak Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
Just remember, there may come a time when you aren't physically able to fill feeders, climb into stands, build blinds, walk for miles, and make repeated long driving trips on your own.

Do it (have a lease) as long as you can.

When you are older and more feeble that will be the time to do the package hunts, etc.

Re: Off season considerations [Re: postoak] #5581436 02/04/15 01:20 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: postoak
Just remember, there may come a time when you aren't physically able to fill feeders, climb into stands, build blinds, walk for miles, and make repeated long driving trips on your own.

Do it (have a lease) as long as you can.

When you are older and more feeble that will be the time to do the package hunts, etc.

That's a good thought up Unless you have kids that can tend to chores.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Off season considerations [Re: passthru] #5581463 02/04/15 01:37 PM
C
CGB Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
Get a job you bum! Lol. A part time job and doing both is what I would do.

Re: Off season considerations [Re: passthru] #5581749 02/04/15 03:48 PM
J
jakebunch Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Pass, your musings match about 100% the internal debate that I have been going through for several months. After reflecting on the options, I have decided to stay with the lease, and all that goes with it, as opposed to doing the specialty hunts. We are about the same age and as an above poster stated, one can always do the specialty hunts when inevitably father time dictates that it is time to move on from the lease. I really like the freedom of hunting as I want to hunt, where I want to hunt, and having a place to go year round. But, I do have a hankering for a good mule deer and that specialty hunt would be in addition go the lease. Good luck.

Re: Off season considerations [Re: passthru] #5581825 02/04/15 04:19 PM
P
passthru Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
P
I agree. I'm still into the lease thing. I consider my lease, even at $3K a bargain with everything considered and year round protein feed included. I don't feel the need to "tag out" or kill the biggest buck on the place. I enjoy the whole experience. In the off season I enjoy just sitting out on the deck with a cup of coffee watching the sun as it breaks the horizon. But still, I ponder. And yeah, a part time job is probably in my near future. If nothing else but to keep me out of trouble. wife

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide